Best Area for General Mat Farming - Istan or Silverwastes or Somewhere else? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Best Area for General Mat Farming - Istan or Silverwastes or Somewhere else?

So I'm working towards crafting my first Legendary but I've been low on mats lately. I often hear these 2 areas come up often when it comes to just mat farming, Istan or Silverwastes, but which of the 2 is the better choice?

Or is there some other area I haven't heard of yet to gather mats?

Comments

• phs.6089phs.6089 Member ✭✭✭✭

You haven't heard of Orr cus no one does it anymore. SW and Istan are way more efficient.
    Silwerwastes farm -you need a level 48-52 alt to get the most
    Istan-you need the coins to buy supply cashes
    In both cases you need something entertaining (audiobook, tv series etc) as it's gets boring fast enough.
    Both are good, Istan is laggy and flashy. SW can be depressing.

Va'esse deireádh aep eigean, va'esse eigh faidh'ar

• @phs.6089 said:
    You haven't heard of Orr cus no one does it anymore. SW and Istan are way more efficient.
    In both cases you need something entertaining (audiobook, tv series etc) as it's gets boring fast enough.

Huh, never heard of having an alt for Silverwastes farming though. That's new to me. So what does it do exactly having a character around that 48 - 52 range? Am I supposed to farm with the character at that level to get good mats?

@Tazdingo.7213 said:

@phs.6089 said:

Huh, never heard of having an alt for Silverwastes farming though. That's new to me. So what does it do exactly having a character around that 48 - 52 range? Am I supposed to farm with the character at that level to get good mats?

you suppose to open bags on it as gear from those scales to character level.
    here this will help

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2019

@phs.6089 said:

ANET made the smart decision to require lower level materials for end game crafting, thereby keeping them relevant throughout the game. So while you will need T6 materials like Powerful Blood, etc, you will also need a supply of lower tier wood, cloth, and metal, depending on what you're crafting. The fastest way to accomplish this is farm LV 80 loot bags, but open them up on a lower level toon so the items themselves are at a lower level, and can then be salvaged for the lower tier mats.

I hate ISTAN with a passion, but I think it's the best way because you use the volatile magic and gold to get T6 mats. I prefer Silverwastes myself, and also the map meta for Auric Basin, (Battle for Tarir) as it is short and rewards you lots of salvageable loot.

A good strategy to get T6 mats (blood, etc) is if you have a full supply of T5 is to promote them in the magic toilet (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Forge/Material_Promotion#Fine_crafting_materials)

Unfortunately this uses up lots of Crystaline dust which is usually also needed for legendary crafting, but you can get more of that by salvaging ectos, which are readily available from salvaging rares earned in the metas listed above. Sounds complicated, but I wish I'd known about it when I made my first legendary.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@phs.6089 said:

ANET made the smart decision to require lower level materials for end game crafting, thereby keeping them relevant throughout the game. So while you will need T6 materials like Powerful Blood, etc, you will also need a supply of lower tier wood, cloth, and metal, depending on what you're crafting. The fastest way to accomplish this is farm LV 80 loot bags, but open them up on a lower level toon so the items themselves are at a lower level, and can then be salvaged for the lower tier mats.

I hate ISTAN with a passion, but I think it's the best way because you use the volatile magic and gold to get T6 mats. I prefer Silverwastes myself, and also the map meta for Auric Basin, (Battle for Tarir) as it is short and rewards you lots of salvageable loot.

A good strategy to get T6 mats (blood, etc) is if you have a full supply of T5 is to promote them in the magic toilet (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Forge/Material_Promotion#Fine_crafting_materials)

Unfortunately this uses up lots of Crystaline dust which is usually also needed for legendary crafting, but you can get more of that by salvaging ectos, which are readily available from salvaging rares earned in the metas listed above. Sounds complicated, but I wish I'd known about it when I made my first legendary.

Besides all this t4 mats cost more then t5 that you will get if open Central Tyrian bags on lv80. Check prices fr mithril and platinum.
    And this http://silverwastes.loltools.net/

• For the most part in GW2, it's not efficient to farm materials directly. It's easier to find methods to increase your income generally, sell off the things you don't need, to buy the things you do.

That's why Silverwastes is recommended over Orr (if you don't own the expansions) and why Istan's farm is recommended over either.

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.