New in PvP, already in gold

Gustaff.6581

So, i decided to inmerse myself in some spvp, havent played even 20 games in my revenant and im already gold, I mean, i dont even know how the other professions work, but the matchmaking put me in gold.

And i feel that i should be bronze, because what do i face, last 10 losses i was smashed by platinum players because i dont even know why im matched with them. And dont have enough experience to beat them yet.

Then got downranked to silver, i keep losing, but matchmaker put me in gold at the start, im so confused right now, why the game puts me with the veterans? i mean, i have faced players with that title like Champion magus, champion hunter, they have won even more games than i have played in my whole life.

Is that there is not enough people in this mode that platinum players have to match with unexperienced players like me?

And what kind of people do i match in unranked? i start to imagine my next oponent will be god of pvp or another legendary title....

I don't know whose wallet you filled to get that, but I have the opposite problem.

I have been playing ranked for the past 4 seasons and each time I work myself up to gold level 3 and occasionally hit plat 1 and then hover around that level. The annoying part about this is that regardless of my final rank at the end, when the new season starts I ALWAYS start at silver 1 and must waste the whole seasoning climbing back up again to my former "previous rank" in top ttier gold -.-

@"James.1065" said:I don't know whose wallet you filled to get that, but I have the opposite problem.

I have been playing ranked for the past 4 seasons and each time I work myself up to gold level 3 and occasionally hit plat 1 and then hover around that level. The annoying part about this is that regardless of my final rank at the end, when the new season starts I ALWAYS start at silver 1 and must waste the whole seasoning climbing back up again to my former "previous rank" in top ttier gold -.-

Same here. Wasted all this season time to climb from middle silver to plat. I lost 8 of 10 matches during placements because i had totally uncarriable teammates.

Funny thing is i spent so much time because my win rate ~50%. It does not matter my current rating is silver or plat. Matchmaking works! It forces win rate to 50% no matters what i do ^_^

Same here. Wasted all this season time to climb from middle silver to plat. I lost 8 of 10 matches during placements because i had totally uncarriable teammates.

Funny thing is i spent so much time because my win rate ~50%. It does not matter my current rating is silver or plat. Matchmaking works! It forces win rate to 50% no matters what i do ^_^

Exactly. I feel the match maker punishes good players and rewards bad ones

Guys stop careing about leaderboards and placements.. you know why the top have 100wins and say 6 losses?? Well let me tell u.First duo with friend, friend plays his alt account u take in turns 1 hr of games on main account. If it’s a loss alt friend d/c u loss nothing. That’s how they stay high and that’s what u do sadly to keep high. As for the 6 losses meh I don’t get that it’s impossible u can be amazing and carry but there’s so many players as good as them so it comes down to when u que and playing the least games I.e loss a game stop right there as u fucked for rest of day.

@Conqueror.3682 said:So, i decided to inmerse myself in some spvp, havent played even 20 games in my revenant and im already gold, I mean, i dont even know how the other professions work, but the matchmaking put me in gold.

And i feel that i should be bronze, because what do i face, last 10 losses i was smashed by platinum players because i dont even know why im matched with them. And dont have enough experience to beat them yet.

Then got downranked to silver, i keep losing, but matchmaker put me in gold at the start, im so confused right now, why the game puts me with the veterans? i mean, i have faced players with that title like Champion magus, champion hunter, they have won even more games than i have played in my whole life.

Is that there is not enough people in this mode that platinum players have to match with unexperienced players like me?

And what kind of people do i match in unranked? i start to imagine my next oponent will be god of pvp or another legendary title....

Placement is only 10 games. It's a snapshot. Sometimes you'll get placed significantly higher or lower than you belong as a result. After only 20 games, it's much too early to tell where you belong. But you should find your range fairly quickly. From there luck will play less of a role as it will not be the blowout matches that determine where you belong in the long run, but making an impact for your team in those matches that could go either way. What I expect you'll find is a point at which you can't seem to advance and keep falling back from. That will be your skill ceiling.

The only way to change it is to either change your class/build or improve with practice/strategy. And believe me, these changes can make a huge difference. So don't think that just because you struggle to stay in gold with your first build that you belong in gold. With a different build/strategy who knows? You could be platinum! That was certainly the case for me in my first season, as I placed low gold 1, struggled to get out of gold 1, then changed my build and playstyle and finished the season in plat 1. Practice and try different things. You never know until you try!

I have the exact same problem. Got a mid-tier ranking and just got smashed game after game after game after game by people who have more experience in PvP than I can ever hope to achieve. The matchmaking is garbage in general, there's not much point to trying to figure it out.

I feel like a lot would be solved by starting the new accounts at 1100 and not at 1200. People aren’t going to start average so why treat them as average from the start? Good players will rise anyway so why pad the number to this extent?

I also feel that rank should carry over from season to season but with a volatility reset. You still need to play the number of matches required to place on the leaderboards so it makes sense to keep your base rank with room to fall or rise more so at the start. Lots of the “movement between ranks” in each season are people recovering from an early loss streak after a soft reset of their core MMR they worked to build up. It does a lot to preserve the sense that players who can’t play a lot end up being penalized in where they end up rank wise because there is strong downward pressure from the soft reset. Those at the very top don’t face the same issue because they tend to play a lot of games in every season anyway.

Last, badges should reflect leaderboard status as well as rank. Those who are eligible (minimum games played) should have a normal badge for that rank. The rest should have a transparent badge to show the minimum hasn’t been met. This reflects social pressure on players to participate in that range between rank decay and the minimum games for leaderboard placement.

@Gamble.4580 said:Guys stop careing about leaderboards and placements.. you know why the top have 100wins and say 6 losses?? Well let me tell u.First duo with friend, friend plays his alt account u take in turns 1 hr of games on main account. If it’s a loss alt friend d/c u loss nothing. That’s how they stay high and that’s what u do sadly to keep high. As for the 6 losses meh I don’t get that it’s impossible u can be amazing and carry but there’s so many players as good as them so it comes down to when u que and playing the least games I.e loss a game stop right there as u kitten for rest of day.

Just fyi when some one from a duo dcs to help maintain rank it works for everyone other than the person who duos with you. If one of the duo Q players Dc both players get rating loss. Plus plz play during prime time. Off time p2+ duo tries to farm lower rated teams .Surprisingly it works out for some people.

@Conqueror.3682 said:So, i decided to inmerse myself in some spvp, havent played even 20 games in my revenant and im already gold, I mean, i dont even know how the other professions work, but the matchmaking put me in gold.

Unranked is way more random. You can get matched against top tier players or a 5 team squad. As for ranked, you could have been lucky and got carried to gold. Technically, if you split your placement games 50/50 you will end up in gold.

You probably just got lucky and got carried in your qualifier games. Now the games putting you back where you should be.

@Highlie.7641 said:

@Highlie.7641 said:You have a new account, which means you get more points per win then someone who has played 1000's of games.

There is no such thing in place, regardless of conspiracy theories. ;)

I don't believe you!!.

seriously though didn't the last dev state as much before he quit? ah well guess i'm wrong.(...)

Maybe you mean the Placement Matches (and the next 5ish matches) at the start of each season, that have a higher impact on your rating? That is an effect of Glicko-2. The impact of a game decreases with the number of ranked games played in the season. It is reset each season though.

@Highlie.7641 said:nah i meant they start at 1200, after there placement matches, they could go 5-5 and still land higher then someone going 8-4 ect.

(just look for yourself when the next season starts, it happens every year)

I still am not sure what you mean, but:

1) New season only means soft reset, as Ben recently mentioned in another thread. High ranked in previous season, you start up higher - and vice versa. I think this is good though, otherwise the first few weeks would be completely wild in terms of match quality for everyone.

2) It can even happen with two players who never played ranked before. When the 5-5 dude won against higher ranked players and 8-4 lost to low ranked players, for example. Purely counting win-loss ratio is obasically of no use in Glicko, there is actually no reason to show that in the leaderboard.

@Highlie.7641 said:

Do yourself a favor and stop caring about ranking, it means nothing.

Ok, i dont care about ranking, i want to play with people of MY level, not gods of pvp or 2+ years veterans. If im in silver 3, well i want to face another silvers or lower golds, Not a fucking platinum or legendary players and certainly not lower bronzes.

Im not having fun with pro players because

• I lose terribly.
  • I learn NOTHING.
  • I harm the progress of the pro players in my team.

By no means i want to be a bad player forever, i will get better, but its not like i will improve my gameplay in a single night of gaming.

@Conqueror.3682 said:

Ok, i dont care about ranking, i want to play with people of MY level, not gods of pvp or 2+ years veterans. If im in silver 3, well i want to face another silvers or lower golds, Not a kitten platinum or legendary players and certainly not lower bronzes.

• I lose terribly.
  • I learn NOTHING.

By no means i want to be a bad player forever, i will get better, but its not like i will improve my gameplay in a single night of gaming.

Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid that. With the top 250 spread across plat 2, plat 3, and legendary there is simply not enough competition available to fill matches without creating massive mismatches. We can't see the distribution below the top 250, but it stands to reason that this continues to be an issue below the top 250 as well. It may even be an issue at ALL rating tiers, for all we know.

The result of this, combined with the inherent difficulty of balancing classes for PvP in an MMO, is that a majority of matches are going to be blowout wins/losses. It's a frustrating experience, but there's probably not much they can do about it beyond generally improving PvP so that it attracts more players.

The good news is that the rating system does work. Most of your games don't really count as the outcome was essentially predetermined by imbalance. But so are everyone else's and their rating is relative to yours. What matters is making an impact in those games that can be won. Those games typically come down to a few key plays. If you're making the difference more often than not, then you climb rating. It just takes longer because so many of your wins/losses are throwaway games that just cancel each other out.

All I can say is try not to get discouraged and don't worry about dragging down the pro players. It isn't your fault that matchmaking is forced to place people in matches with other players of vastly disparate ratings. We're all playing by the same rules here. It's not perfect. It could definitely feel more satisfying. But ultimately it does work and you can climb rating if you focus on the factors that ARE within your control.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

Ok, i dont care about ranking, i want to play with people of MY level, not gods of pvp or 2+ years veterans. If im in silver 3, well i want to face another silvers or lower golds, Not a kitten platinum or legendary players and certainly not lower bronzes.

• I lose terribly.
  • I learn NOTHING.

Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid that. With the top 250 spread across plat 2, plat 3, and legendary there is simply not enough competition available to fill matches without creating massive mismatches. We can't see the distribution below the top 250, but it stands to reason that this continues to be an issue below the top 250 as well. It may even be an issue at ALL rating tiers, for all we know.

The result of this, combined with the inherent difficulty of balancing classes for PvP in an MMO, is that a majority of matches are going to be blowout wins/losses. It's a frustrating experience, but there's probably not much they can do about it beyond generally improving PvP so that it attracts more players.

The good news is that the rating system does work. Most of your games don't really count as the outcome was essentially predetermined by imbalance. But so are everyone else's and their rating is relative to yours. What matters is making an impact in those games that can be won. Those games typically come down to a few key plays. If you're making the difference more often than not, then you climb rating. It just takes longer because so many of your wins/losses are throwaway games that just cancel each other out.

All I can say is try not to get discouraged and don't worry about dragging down the pro players. It isn't your fault that matchmaking is forced to place people in matches with other players of vastly disparate ratings. We're all playing by the same rules here. It's not perfect. It could definitely feel more satisfying. But ultimately it does work and you can climb rating if you focus on the factors that ARE within your control.

combine NA and EU. I'm Certain it'll STOP MOST of the queuing issue one way or another.

Archived