Sticks and Bricks. — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Sticks and Bricks.

Greetings , as the title says I am brand new to GW2!
Thorns expansion came out an year ago or so and I decided to give the game a try but never found the time. I am 24 currently working from home and as I used to be raiding high tier in WoW I am still kind of on training wheels here. Purchasing the game did give me an 80's character so I chose a Mesmer at the time , don't plan on changing that (play style is just fun and I don't doubt that it's viable for end-game). I am not really interested in the PvP content , it's raiding and dungeons for me only.
Anyone willing to chat and give me a heads up as to what's my general direction (correct me on - enchants/gems/item sets/Professions) feel free to add me (Dezzmania).

Comments

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

Quick tip: this is not WoW, even at end game a lot of the PvE content is in the open-world maps. You can choose to only play raids and dungeons if you want to but it's a tiny part of the game so you'll quickly run out of things to do.

"You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

• Yes , that tip is really helpful , I will note down that this is not WoW because the cluster of effects splashing on the screen got me confused for a moment , I almost couldn't tell. If you take offense every time someone mentions WoW , don't reply , thank you.
    Any other useful tips for actual end game from actual end game players would be appreciated , that being said I must specify (zones/dungeons/raids). Can crafting reward you with high quality gear or are the Quests skirmishes , world bosses the goal here?

• You should start with creating a new character and leveling it up normally without a level booster to better get a feel for the game and how it plays. Afterwards you should start leveling your crafting professions and getting a set of ascended gear. Armor, weapons, and trinkets. Ascended is needed for scale 20+ fractals, and some groups want you in ascended for raids. You'll also want to learn what the meta build is for raids and start getting a feel for it.

GW2 does not have "quests". Closest thing we got is reknown hearts, and those don't give you any decent loot, just access to the various items each reknown heart vendor sells.

World bosses can give good loot, but the drops are rare.

Why are you even reading this?

• Thank you , well formulated reply with useful info.

• Gulbasaur.1865Gulbasaur.1865 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2019

@Dezz.3025 said:
    Yes , that tip is really helpful , I will note down that this is not WoW because the cluster of effects splashing on the screen got me confused for a moment , I almost couldn't tell. If you take offense every time someone mentions WoW , don't reply , thank you.

All right, calm down. We've had a recent influx of ex-WoW players at the moment asking similar questions (especially on reddit, less here but still) so some people are perhaps getting a little tetchy. If you take offence when people point out differences between the games, just... chill out a bit. The raiding scene in GW2 is much smaller than WoW and lots of the end game content takes place outside of instances and that was the message of the comment.

Any other useful tips for actual end game from actual end game players would be appreciated , that being said I must specify (zones/dungeons/raids). Can crafting reward you with high quality gear or are the Quests skirmishes , world bosses the goal here?

Daily fractals sound like what you want (similar to dungeon finder dungeons... in GW2 "dungeon" refers to something specific which is different from a WoW dungeon - see above "it's not WoW" comment). Much of the top-level content (bosses etc) is open world content like bounties and meta events (again, see above "it's not WoW" comment) but if you want instanced small group quickies, fractals are a good place to start. Level scaling in GW2 is practically flawless, so you will go back to lower level zones to complete events there and find them a suitable challenge. Dragon's Stand practically is an hour-long dungeon with three squads of 30 or so players ending in a totally unique battle at the end and hella lootz.

World bosses and meta events are usually pretty cool. The Heart of Thorns maps have very popular meta events and the Living Story episodes tend to, too. The Path of Fire maps are sadly a bit lacking in the meta department; they do exist but it's sometimes hard to find them or trigger them.

Crafting is the most reliable way of getting ascended (top tier) gear but it's expensive and exotics are fine for 90% of the content. PUG raiding is notoriously unfriendly for newbies so find a guild (discord, subreddit or Snowcrows will help) to train with. Don't worry about getting the best gear straight off the bat because you won't be able to.

Core mesmer is a solid DPS build. Mesmers are 100% meta at end game with the chronomancer spec and mirage is a strong all-rounder except for a few bosses. Expect to change your build around a lot to suit the situation, though. Under most circumstances, your gear will be fine with berserkers or assassins stats for power builds (which you can find on the trading post). Mirages mostly use condi (condition damage) gear so you'll need two sets if you swap around a bit. Get yourself some sensible runes (6 that match) and sigils.

Other "it's not WoW" things:

• GW2 "profession" means WoW "class".
    • WoW "profession" is just called "crafting discipline" so if you say profession you'll get class advice. Enchants and gems... what are they? No, seriously? Gems are the cash shop currency but you probably don't mean that. Learn the names of things and you'll probably get better advice.
    • Rewards are non-competitive. No "need or greed" mechanic. All harvesting nodes are unique to you. Everyone gets the same EXP rewards for equal levels (though you usually have to get above a certain damage percentage and things like healing contributes to your participation - only really relevant in zergs/farming).
    • Almost no Holy Trinity. Tanks aren't needed for 99% of the content. Toughness as a stat usually attracts aggro. Taunts are very rare. For a long time the default tank was a chronomancer (mesmer elite spec) in light armour because they had to because of the Toughness=aggro rule and their preferred gear built up lots of toughness (luckily, they are quite good at it). Healers are helpful but will usually be seen as a DSP loss in all but raids.
    • Dodge is life. You can't out-tank damage like you can in WoW. You need to move out the way.
    • Boons > Heals for support builds.
    • Gear choice is much more important. You'll end up with at least two sets of armour for different builds and probably about five weapons.
    • Rez downed people whenever you see them, unless they're at a waypoint. If you're in a party and your teammate is downed, help them. Dead teammates are a DPS loss : P

The Wiki is practically part of the game at this point. Here is a (slightly old but still very useful) guide to gear and here is a guide I wrote aimed at new players that will hopefully clear some things up for you.

• Biff.5312Biff.5312 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dezz.3025 said:
    Yes , that tip is really helpful , I will note down that this is not WoW because the cluster of effects splashing on the screen got me confused for a moment , I almost couldn't tell. If you take offense every time someone mentions WoW , don't reply , thank you.

Holy kitten man, the guy was just making sure you know there's limited content of that sort and you might want to check out other areas of gameplay. Yeesh.

• Dezz.3025Dezz.3025 Member
    edited January 8, 2019

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Dezz.3025 said:

I don't know where you got the idea that I was offended, but you couldn't be more wrong. I was simply trying to point out, in the limited time I had, that you seemed to be making one of the most common mistakes new GW2 players make in assuming that this game functions like your previous one. I've not played WoW myself but as I understand it in that game open-world maps are only used for levelling up and getting basic equipment to start doing dungeons and after that PvE is almost entirely focused on a series of dungeons and raids. I've known a lot of WoW players who tried to play GW2 the same way and ended up disappointed because there's only 8 dungeons and 4 raids in this game (plus Fractals which is a series of mini dungeons), they don't take long to complete and there's nothing like the same requirement to keep repeating the same ones hoping for the drops you need. So they quickly run out of content to play.

As I said a lot of the "actual end game" in this game is in the open-world, in the form of world bosses and meta-event chains. You may have seen some or all of the Silverwastes meta event when you used your level 80 boost, but there's others on many other maps too, particularly the Heart of Thorns maps. Not only is it a big part of the available content but it's also one of the best ways to get gold (particularly Silverwastes, Auric Basin or Istan) and there's a lot of unique skins which come from either the events themselves or associated achievements.

Depending on the stat combination/s you want you may also need to spend a lot of time in open-world maps (particularly the Living Story Season 3 ones) to get ascended (top tier) equipment, as that's one of the only ways to get trinkets with the 4-stat combinations introduced in HoT. Ascended weapons and armour can be crafted (which is the most reliable way to get them) or they can come from certain achievements and rarely as drops from the 'big' world bosses (Tequatl and the Great Jungle Wurm) or in Fractals and Raids.

It obviously doesn't function the same as WoW does and I didn't write anywhere in my original comment assuming that it did , regardless moving along.
    From a side perspective I am fully aware how the game looks , not how it plays , It has it's own original style and game play otherwise it wouldn't survive the years.
    What I can tell at first sight is that there is some sort of a grind if you boost to 80 , all of the original content can't be skipped and must be cleared out which is not a bad thing because of the multiple rewards , my only concern is what the game makes it's money out of , It certainly ain't the expansion pack , the market has a heavy gold to crystal and crystal to gold ratio , how does that play out?
    The game looks economy friendly , there are certainly people around and I will keep reading up on the content , thanks for the info.

• Gulbasaur.1865Gulbasaur.1865 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019

Regarding not knowing how it plays... It's worth doing levels 1-20 on another character for the tutorials. As stated above, there's much more emphasis on open world events than dungeons for level 80 content.

The gem store/cash shop in theory has no pay-to-win options, but there are some quality of life objects that people are happy to pay for (copper-fed salvage-o-matic for example). I know people who've dropped hundreds or thousands in the cash shop over the years and people who've spent nothing ever. I imagine those people subsidize the rest of us to an extent.

The gem store is almost entirely convenience items or appearance items. Technically, there are black lion chests as random loot boxes but genuinely they're not something most people think about and are of extremely low priority.

There is also extra Living Story content that starts out free during release but you need to pay to unlock if you miss the window (like if you missed something on TV you might buy the box set). They fill in the gaps between expansions and add some very worthwhile content.

It's generally advised not to boost your first character to 80 because you skip over the tutorials. World completion is achievable and necessary if you want to craft legendaries. It's not so much a grind as you haven't got the cumulative rewards from playing to 80 and you need to start somewhere.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.