The Myth that its Impossible to Climb past "(insert tier) Wall"

Justine.6351

I don't spvp too much as I cannot stand pvp-in-a-box but I decided to see what I could do with hammer rev.

-Placed Plat 1.-Continued to play hammer rev for a month a few games at a time.-Decided to clean up some of my profession achieves for backpack. Played 2 wells 2 mantra chronomancer and my rating dropped to Gold 1/2 but was happy about getting close to completing pip tracks.-Rolled back into hammer rev to get me some loot boxes and gold cause I poor. Think I completed last chest 3 times this season.-Ended season with 130 games, 64 wins, Plat 1, 1522 rating, spvp rank level 58 ?.

I guess what I am saying is, l2p. If I can come from wvw hammer rev into spvp, place plat 1, tank gold 1/2 on garbagmancer and then climb back into plat 1, well anyone playing a build better than hammer rev and spvp knowledge better than a WvWer should be capable of pushing past Plat 1.

Next season I will probably start out as reaper, roll into same chrono and then finish achieves and season with hammer rev. I want to see if I can push Plat 2 / Top 250.

! fyi, I got salted a whole 2 times, out of 130 games, for playing hammer rev. My favorite game played was as hammer rev with Kit the Ranger, had 1 person DCed from the start of match and had the game dead even 4 vs 5. 5th person finally shows up 4 minutes in game and we win rofl.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been in Plat II as renegade.

What a lot of people don't know is it's less your build and more proper rotations / playing your role. I see a lot of people who play meta builds but don't know what those builds are actually supposed to do. This is a problem, because meta builds are generally designed by top MAT players specifically to fulfill a class role. So you see really dumb shit in ranked like a Scourge who thinks he is a 1v1 class, dies far to a random insert any ranged spec here and then complains about being stuck in gold II. You also see a lot of just general lack of awareness like people rotating to points that are already won and already being defended while the rest of the team is dying 3v4 mid because one person thought he needed to have a stroll through central park for absolutely no reason.

Picking a meta build and mashing buttons will get you out of silver, but it wont' get you out of gold.

@Master Ketsu.4569 said:I've been in Plat II as renegade.

What a lot of people don't know is it's less your build and more proper rotations / playing your role. I see a lot of people who play meta builds but don't know what those builds are actually supposed to do. This is a problem, because meta builds are generally designed by top MAT players specifically to fulfill a class role. So you see really dumb kitten in ranked like a Scourge who thinks he is a 1v1 class, dies far to a random insert any ranged spec here and then complains about being stuck in gold II. You also see a lot of just general lack of awareness like people rotating to points that are already won and already being defended while the rest of the team is dying 3v4 mid because one person thought he needed to have a stroll through central park for absolutely no reason.

Picking a meta build and mashing buttons will get you out of silver, but it wont' get you out of gold.

Exactly this. Always, always, always look at your minimap periodically in a game. Like every 3-5 seconds. In Conquest looking at the map is like breathing air in terms of rotations. You NEED to know where your teammates are & enemies are.

Checking allies healthbars is also important as it can indicate whether you need to rotate into your allies or split off towards a different point or objective.

Checking enemy deaths is the least important of these three Conquest elements but it's still essential to know who got downed/who died and if there will be a big or small enemy respawn.

Hammer Herald/Shiro is not a bad build at all. It has a good amount of favorable 1v1 matchups and is also impactful in team fights - an ideal team carry build.

I reached plat on hammer rev in 2015/16 when everyone said it's trash and Sw/Sh+Staff is superior. All these melee revs got eaten alive in condi spam while I nuked the node from distance and had a fair amount of evades, blocks and disengages to avoid bursts.

A few days ago I duelled a hammer rev in wvw and I bet this guy farms 95% of the roamers out there.

So the OP is not making a valid point here. He is just underestimating his build.

Ended season with 130 games, 64 wins, Plat 1, 1522 rating, spvp rank 58.Wow is population this low now? That's a pretty high rank for a 49,xx% win rate.

Next season I will probably start out as reaperReaper is as underestimated as hammer rev. Power reaper my main spec and I had never any issues reaching plat with it since 2015. On the other hand I never reached plat on teef in Solo Q as this class can't carry at all. You can decap far forever - it won't help when your team loses its 3v3/4v4 at mid within 10 seconds. And when you stay mid to join the team fight you are a liability to your team, because all you can do is hit and run (no fight presence - competent opponents will just ignore you and focus your team mates as when you return you die in the AOE anyway).

I'd even state people like sindrener would have a hard time reaching plat on teef in Solo Q. Duo Q is a different story as decapping and focussing 2v1 24/7 with superior mobility does carry matches.

TL;DR: Try reaching plat on teef in Solo Q for a real challenge!

@Justine.6351 said:I don't spvp too much as I cannot stand pvp-in-a-box but I decided to see what I could do with hammer rev.

-Placed Plat 1.-Continued to play hammer rev for a month a few games at a time.-Decided to clean up some of my profession achieves for backpack. Played 2 wells 2 mantra chronomancer and my rating dropped to Gold 1/2 but was happy about getting close to completing pip tracks.-Rolled back into hammer rev to get me some loot boxes and gold cause I poor. Think I completed last chest 3 times this season.-Ended season with 130 games, 64 wins, Plat 1, 1522 rating, spvp rank 58.

I guess what I am saying is, l2p. If I can come from wvw hammer rev into spvp, place plat 1, tank gold 1/2 on garbagmancer and then climb back into plat 1, well anyone playing a build better than hammer rev and spvp knowledge better than a WvWer should be capable of pushing past Plat 1.

Next season I will probably start out as reaper, roll into same chrono and then finish achieves and season with hammer rev. I want to see if I can push Plat 2 / Top 250.

! fyi, I got salted a whole 2 times, out of 130 games, for playing hammer rev. My favorite game played was as hammer rev with Kit the Ranger, had 1 person DCed from the start of match and had the game dead even 4 vs 5. 5th person finally shows up 4 minutes in game and we win rofl.

^ indeed, its a learn to play issue, after finishing plat in previous seasons I had the good fortune to start @1226 rating from a 4-6 placement( yea I know, nice right?). Finished at 1650 rating(plat 2 rank 101) 100 W/83 L.

Yea play harder. smarter and don't go far on enemy wipes.....

@KrHome.1920 said:Hammer Herald/Shiro is not a bad build at all. It has a good amount of favorable 1v1 matchups and is also impactful in team fights - an ideal team carry build.

I reached plat on hammer rev in 2015/16 when everyone said it's trash and Sw/Sh+Staff is superior. All these melee revs got eaten alive in condi spam while I nuked the node from distance and had a fair amount of evades, blocks and disengages to avoid bursts.

A few days ago I duelled a hammer rev in wvw and I bet this guy farms 95% of the roamers out there.

cool what server they on?

Humor me here.

So I'm more of a "gold" player. I'm fine with that. But this season, at the last Q I dropped to silver and have been totally unable to get back at gold.

It didn't matter if I won all of my 1vs1 duels. It didn't matter if I made tons of damage and support and got many of the top stats every fight. I tried to the best of my ability to get back at gold, but no matter what I ALWAYS lost the last fight needed to climb up. So my win/lose looked a lot like this:

losewinwinlosewinwinlosewinwinlose

You get the idea. I was always 7-8 points away from climbing back. Me who is usually comfortable sitting at mid gold. I mean, it's fine. I still had lots of fun, which is the MAIN and really ONLY reason why I keep playing sPvP. But still, I think I do get it when people say it's very difficult to get out of a tier after your first 10 matches.

@herrmartell.7109 said:It didn't matter if I won all of my 1vs1 duels. It didn't matter if I made tons of damage and support and got many of the top stats every fight. I tried to the best of my ability to get back at gold, but no matter what I ALWAYS lost the last fight needed to climb up. So my win/lose looked a lot like this:

Just winning a 1v1 somewhere doesn't necessarily benefit your team enough to make an edge.

@syszery.1592 said:

@herrmartell.7109 said:It didn't matter if I won all of my 1vs1 duels. It didn't matter if I made tons of damage and support and got many of the top stats every fight. I tried to the best of my ability to get back at gold, but no matter what I ALWAYS lost the last fight needed to climb up. So my win/lose looked a lot like this:

Just winning a 1v1 somewhere doesn't necessarily benefit your team enough to make an edge.

How about we read the entire paragraph? It's not that long, really.

the thing is, if you reach a rank approax to your skill level its hard to climb, the problem is that people have a certain idea of where they should be and how good they and there idea often incorrect. this makes them mad and feel like they are being wronged

@herrmartell.7109 said:

And then? It's the typical qq from people who think they deserve to be higher rated than they actually are... And I still think that it all boils down to the fact that running around and winning duels or collecting top stats doesn't make you an awesome player for your team.

@syszery.1592 said:

And then? It's the typical qq from people who think they deserve to be higher rated than they actually are... And I still think that it all boils down to the fact that running around and winning duels or collecting top stats doesn't make you an awesome player for your team.

LOL thanks for the insight. Those 2 mins of your day where well spent.

@KrHome.1920 said:

Ended season with 130 games, 64 wins, Plat 1, 1522 rating, spvp rank 58.Wow is population this low now? That's a pretty high rank for a 49,xx% win rate.

That is not true. Not sure what the OP was looking at when he made this statement. Achieving rank 100 even, required 1650 rating on NA during S14, so aint no way he was rank 58 with 1522 rating. Possibly he was referring to his shark/phoenix/dragon ranking?

@"herrmartell.7109" said:Humor me here.

So I'm more of a "gold" player. I'm fine with that. But this season, at the last Q I dropped to silver and have been totally unable to get back at gold.

It didn't matter if I won all of my 1vs1 duels. It didn't matter if I made tons of damage and support and got many of the top stats every fight. I tried to the best of my ability to get back at gold, but no matter what I ALWAYS lost the last fight needed to climb up. So my win/lose looked a lot like this:

losewinwinlosewinwinlosewinwinlose

You get the idea. I was always 7-8 points away from climbing back. Me who is usually comfortable sitting at mid gold. I mean, it's fine. I still had lots of fun, which is the MAIN and really ONLY reason why I keep playing sPvP. But still, I think I do get it when people say it's very difficult to get out of a tier after your first 10 matches.

Ok, so your skill at your class is good, but you probably need to work on your rotating and applying your class to the role you’re supposed to fulfill in the team, and how to adapt to different team comps. Look into improving those aspects if you’re wanting to climb higher next season.

@Durzlla.6295 said:Ok, so your skill at your class is good, but you probably need to work on your rotating and applying your class to the role you’re supposed to fulfill in the team, and how to adapt to different team comps. Look into improving those aspects if you’re wanting to climb higher next season.

Ah! This is what I was looking for. Do you happen to know a good guide for those things? I would really love to improve, regardless of what tier I end up at.

@herrmartell.7109 said:

@Durzlla.6295 said:Ok, so your skill at your class is good, but you probably need to work on your rotating and applying your class to the role you’re supposed to fulfill in the team, and how to adapt to different team comps. Look into improving those aspects if you’re wanting to climb higher next season.

Ah! This is what I was looking for. Do you happen to know a good guide for those things? I would really love to improve, regardless of what tier I end up at.

I do not actually, I’m sure there’s some around the forums though, if you made a thread asking for guides on rotating and the different roles/builds that fill those roles I’m sure you’ll get the info you’re looking for.

@KrHome.1920 said:Hammer Herald/Shiro is not a bad build at all. It has a good amount of favorable 1v1 matchups and is also impactful in team fights - an ideal team carry build.

I have been playing a lot of power rev in wvw lately and i can say i've won a couple fights as hammer rev vs a roamer BUT only because they thought i was switching to staff and tried to kite and i was able to get some good hits in before they realized i had hammer. But in no way is it as good as you say for roaming. In a 1v1 where the enemy knows you have a hammer there is no way you gonna hit him. Its just too dang slow.

lol before my mmr deteriorated from not playing pvp for a week or so I was in plat with a jalis/kalla renegade tank/support build. I don't get where people get this idea of not being able to rank up from. They can't rank up because they are currently in their skill bracket. Some people just think they're playing so well and that their teams drag them down, they don't realize theyre the common denominator. Also, sometimes matchmaking can be wonky and a whole night can be unfavorable matchups. Smart players stop playing at this point and don't tank their ranking.

@herrmartell.7109 said:

@"Durzlla.6295" said:Ok, so your skill at your class is good, but you probably need to work on your rotating and applying your class to the role you’re supposed to fulfill in the team, and how to adapt to different team comps. Look into improving those aspects if you’re wanting to climb higher next season.

Here you go!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lb1p7SMYTF8AkBPB1E_iTV2hKergpQKgECKOeCjWkC0/edit?usp=sharing

I don't know why it isn't stickied. It's an incredibly useful resource.

@syszery.1592 said:

hell, sometimes its more beneficial to simply stall the 1v1 than win it.

@Darknicrofia.2604 said:

hell, sometimes its more beneficial to simply stall the 1v1 than win it.

Yes, if you 1v1 their support Firebrand on far :trollface:

So the OP is not making a valid point here. He is just underestimating his build.

Next season I will probably start out as reaperReaper is as underestimated as hammer rev. Power reaper my main spec and I had never any issues reaching plat with it since 2015. On the other hand I never reached plat on teef in Solo Q as this class can't carry at all. You can decap far forever - it won't help when your team loses its 3v3/4v4 at mid within 10 seconds. And when you stay mid to join the team fight you are a liability to your team, because all you can do is hit and run (no fight presence - competent opponents will just ignore you and focus your team mates as when you return you die in the AOE anyway).

I'd even state people like sindrener would have a hard time reaching plat on teef in Solo Q. Duo Q is a different story as decapping and focussing 2v1 24/7 with superior mobility does carry matches.

TL;DR: Try reaching plat on teef in Solo Q for a real challenge!

I was 1780 on my alt playing dp only and soloq :) 50~ games. Just for you ill do next season soloq only on my alt for 120 games np

@Master Ketsu.4569 said:I've been in Plat II as renegade.

What a lot of people don't know is it's less your build and more proper rotations / playing your role. I see a lot of people who play meta builds but don't know what those builds are actually supposed to do. This is a problem, because meta builds are generally designed by top MAT players specifically to fulfill a class role. So you see really dumb kitten in ranked like a Scourge who thinks he is a 1v1 class, dies far to a random insert any ranged spec here and then complains about being stuck in gold II. You also see a lot of just general lack of awareness like people rotating to points that are already won and already being defended while the rest of the team is dying 3v4 mid because one person thought he needed to have a stroll through central park for absolutely no reason.

Legend with renegade

Archived