what do you think about WvW maps? I'm bored.

hadi.5274

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@hadi.5274 said:In 5 years, we paly on same maps without big update, just 1 big red map, that all

We've gotten 2 new WvW maps in 5 years. Are you only playing on EB? Apparently a very red EB? I understand if that gets boring. I find EB boring too.

I mean maps on left side (not eotm)

IMO we need an addition to the old maps, like a multi-layer map.

Underground level and something similar to Verdant Brink.

With the introduction of the gliders in WvW this will be possible.

New maps will offer the same thing with just different skin but the additions/improvements will bring the joy again.

Hadi, you were here for the explosion of frustration that popped out the last time a map was introduced. In three of the above posts we already have people disagreeing on what would be good.

No matter what is chosen, a large segment of the population will complain heavily.

New maps would be great. But the player base has really made the developers reluctant (and possibly unwilling) to try again

There is only really one semi-viable option for 1v1v1 scenarios (equilateral triangle). So, it is more than likely making "new" maps is going to end in sameness or disaster. Which is why I can't vote for this poll. I dislike all the maps to some degree, and I don't want to see an attempt to make new ones for 1v1v1's. Waste of time.

@"Strider Pj.2193" said:No matter what is chosen, a large segment of the population will complain heavily.New maps would be great. But the player base has really made the developers reluctant (and possibly unwilling) to try again

The ABLs and EB are/were strategical maps, the DBL isn't. That is one of the problems. I've heard that DBL has been changed heavily but I avoided that map like plaque, because the whole story behind it was just so sad. "Vote to keep it or we will never make a new map" paired with the lack of understanding that WvW is a strategical game mode.

Apart from the tower perimeters being too large I loved the original DBL, and after the dumbing down I still like it. Alpine and EB also need to stay. What I would like to see are rework of the towers in DBL to a double wall and additional Towers or a Middle Fort. Actually a Middle Fort for all BLs and maybe evening the distance between EB Middle Fort and Keeps. Maybe a map with map wide gliding would be nice, Forts just need to be shielded closer so as to open more area.

@Jana.6831 said:

@"Strider Pj.2193" said:No matter what is chosen, a large segment of the population will complain heavily.New maps would be great. But the player base has really made the developers reluctant (and possibly unwilling) to try again

The ABLs and EB are/were strategical maps, the DBL isn't. That is one of the problems. I've heard that DBL has been changed heavily but I avoided that map like plaque, because the whole story behind it was just so sad. "Vote to keep it or we will never make a new map" paired with the lack of understanding that WvW is a strategical game mode.

100% this. The original version of DBL, if you never saw it, was absolutely horrible (too large, lag, super cannon, movement/pathing glitches). I'm still not happy about the "Vote to keep it or we will never make a new map". A good part of why I hate DBL is that it isn't a strategical map. It feels like ktrain land that no one likes to defend. So in essence, EoTM 2. I don't know about anyone else, but I like having to think when I play a map. Just my opinion, I know others disagree and love DBL.

If we get any new wvw maps there needs to be much more thought put into them. After the results of DBL, I'd rather they just not make any new maps at all.

@Jana.6831 said:

Agreed Jana. I am not blaming the people who didn't like the DBL, nor the whole presentation of it. And the vote....... yeah... pile of kitten.

But when you read even just the few response in this thread, people are all over the map (pun intended) on what would make a good WvW map.

Never mind what people have said over the last few years. Players have little consensus.

Hopefully, they look to some old and brand new players to try to get the sense of what might work.

Brings up one thought also: the weekly play live the Devs have started would be a good time for people running with them to point out the strategic layout of the ABL, and why EBG makes such a popular map.

I like to run on desert, but the towers really offer no strategic benefit to having them.

They could switch one alpine borderland out for a bigger copy that's smaller than desert BL.

Could be :alpine = green BL --- smallestnew BL = blue BL --- medium size , same general layout as alpine but with bigger keeps / towers (perhaps having inner wall of keep the same size as alpine keeps but outer walls larger , such that trebbing from towers is possible)** make more use of elevation , for example inner wall could have sections that cannot be hit with meteor shower outside that act solely as lookout points for defending team as well as a drop off point to glide fromdesert BL = red BL ---- largest

Changing EBG is an exercise in futility.

Desert BL has been greatly improved from its initial iteration.

If they do release a new map it needs to be thoroughly playtested before putting it into service. The lagfest that Desert BL was did not make an enjoyable experience.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:Agreed Jana. I am not blaming the people who didn't like the DBL, nor the whole presentation of it. And the vote....... yeah... pile of kitten.

But when you read even just the few response in this thread, people are all over the map (pun intended) on what would make a good WvW map.

Never mind what people have said over the last few years. Players have little consensus.

Hopefully, they look to some old and brand new players to try to get the sense of what might work.

Brings up one thought also: the weekly play live the Devs have started would be a good time for people running with them to point out the strategic layout of the ABL, and why EBG makes such a popular map.

I like to run on desert, but the towers really offer no strategic benefit to having them.

You're right, but I heard that the old maps were in fact developed by the players. I started 1 year after launch, so I have no idea how it worked - but at some point people had a consens as it seems. And a lot of the strategical elements have long been forgotten - it's not just the maps, it's nearly everything.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Jana.6831 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:No matter what is chosen, a large segment of the population will complain heavily.New maps would be great. But the player base has really made the developers reluctant (and possibly unwilling) to try again

Agreed Jana. I am not blaming the people who didn't like the DBL, nor the whole presentation of it. And the vote....... yeah... pile of kitten.

Z

Easy. EBG is popular because it has a lot of small objectives that are all relevant in the grand scheme of things. There's a lot of action and a lot of ways to get into fights. ABL map objectives (and the desert map ones) are way too big and do not promote fighting for that litthe shitty t0 keep. EBG offers a lot of variety, fights and tactical options. Other maps are seamless running around with an occasional fight here and there and getting stuff done takes too long. Also, everyone wants the grand prize in the centre so that helps a lot to railroad groups to the same place.

if desert bl wasn't blacklisted by a SMALLLL portion of the wvsw community we'd probably have that next map with the release of pof. Just sayin....

Honestly sprucing up the existing maps would have been a much more amicable move from the start tho. alpine is srsly ugly. ebg suffers from similar problems but its just smooth curves on everything without foliage and other stuff in the way.

I voted yes, would love to see pastoral countryside bright and sunny or full on tundra theme, so long as the objectives hold strategic value. I'd welcome a graphical overhaul to bring things up to par with DBL, aesthetically. I'd hope not too congested, there are many times where you'll get "obstructed" or "no line of sight" when trying to use skills.

@Cerby.1069 said:if desert bl wasn't blacklisted by a SMALLLL portion of the wvsw community we'd probably have that next map with the release of pof. Just sayin....

Honestly sprucing up the existing maps would have been a much more amicable move from the start tho. alpine is srsly ugly. ebg suffers from similar problems but its just smooth curves on everything without foliage and other stuff in the way.

You can't say things like "If desert bl wasn't blacklisted by a SMALLLL portion of the wvsw community" without having factual proof that is indeed the case (same thing if you thought most people liked it). Just saying.

Archived