My thief ‘‘problem‘‘

Derenaya.3479

So I have kind of a problem in PvP atm. I main thief and so far it‘s the only profession that I like (speed, momentum violence lol).

So I still don‘t have another profession to play if we are two thieves on the team and that kinda sucks if the other one doesn‘t wan’t/can‘t change. So I thought of learning Sic‘em SB to switch in these cases but does that actually make sense? They +/- fullfill the same role except with more damage and less movement. So my question is if that would be a valluable switch to avoid double thief or if I might aswell stay on thief?

My guess would be that it‘s slightly more valluable but only if I play it on at least the same level as thief.

If I was you, I'd look into Rev (Herald). It's in the meta, it's extremely viable, it's very thief-like to me.

Don't listen to folks who say it's underpowered or not viable. The biggest thing it struggles with is conditions, but so does thief, so... You're already used to it.

Mbelch beat me to it, but definitely worth looking into rev. You still fulfill the +1 role that a thief would but you also contribute a ton more to team fights with the massive amount of cleave you have available. It's also a ton of fun to play in general.

It will be rough picking up at first though as the class, despite being fairly straightforward in it's design, relies a ton on predicting the moves of your enemies and reacting accordingly. The lack of passives, invuln, and quick disengage can put you in spots you'd normally be fine with on thief but end up getting you killed on rev. It's a bit of learning, but imo it's very worth it.

Yeah I see why you'd suggest rev, I also tried it already and yeah I aggre, it's is very thief like and I don't dislike the class as a whole but imo the heal is just straight up garbage, way to much outplay possibilitys for the enemy. Maybe I'll give it another chance but the heal really bugs me.

My 2 cents: Just stay thief, but learn how to play multiple specs.

It's usually pretty rare to end up as double thief and most of the time the other team will end up the same way, meaning you'll either face double thief or a team with 1 thief and one guy trying to remember how to play his alt.

The reason behind learning multiple specs is that adjusting your spec between S/D Thief and D/P DrD is a pretty quick swap and can allow you to counter enemy team comps pretty well. D/P is especially strong against enemy teams with deadeyes or S/D thieves. S/D is a better team fighter and can take down heavy blocking classes very well. Swapping between then is often changing one traitline (Acro to DrD), one trait (Improv to Executioner), weapon set (S/D to D/P), heal (Withdraw to Channeled Vigor), and one utility maybe (Roll for Ini or whatever else to Blinding Powder or whatever else).

Personally, I find that swapping between specs allows me to play better than switching classes entirely and playing well is always more important than having the "perfect" class comp. Don't listen to armchair commanders who flip think they know the result of every game based on the comp they see when they load in the map.

@Derenaya.3479 said:Yeah I see why you'd suggest rev, I also tried it already and yeah I aggre, it's is very thief like and I don't dislike the class as a whole but imo the heal is just straight up garbage, way to much outplay possibilitys for the enemy. Maybe I'll give it another chance but the heal really bugs me.

The heal is so clutch, actually. See a warrior bulls-rushing you? Well rather than dodge, pull off that heal. I've seen revs go from 10% to full heal and completely change a fight. That coupled with their blocks, evades, ports, they have so much mitigation. But it really is up to taste.

Another class I love (I main it) is Holo, and like @Ryan.9387 said, it can play multiple roles. If you play the AED + Rocket Boots build that I started playing more than a year ago, you're going to find it plays honestly a bit like a thief.

@Mbelch.9028 said:

@Derenaya.3479 said:Yeah I see why you'd suggest rev, I also tried it already and yeah I aggre, it's is very thief like and I don't dislike the class as a whole but imo the heal is just straight up garbage, way to much outplay possibilitys for the enemy. Maybe I'll give it another chance but the heal really bugs me.

The heal is so clutch, actually. See a warrior bulls-rushing you? Well rather than dodge, pull off that heal. I've seen revs go from 10% to full heal and completely change a fight. That coupled with their blocks, evades, ports, they have so much mitigation. But it really is up to taste.

Another class I love (I main it) is Holo, and like @Ryan.9387 said, it can play multiple roles. If you play the AED + Rocket Boots build that I started playing more than a year ago, you're going to find it plays honestly a bit like a thief.

Yeah the glint heal is one of my favorite heals to have. Not only in 1v1 does it let you benefit off of enemy skills (my favorite is using glint heal on another rev's sword 3, they can't cancel it and it does a ton of damage and often full heals you), but in teamfights (where you are a lot) it lets you take advantage of the uncontrolled damage and the focus often directed at you. It just takes some getting used to to allow you to get the full benefit of it.

Holo is a really great one to use as well. Not only does it open up options for you in terms of role filling, but mastering holo and the 3 different variations of it you have (Rocket boots, elixer static, conv) will allow you to fill almost any role you need to.

@Ario.8964 said:

Yeah the glint heal is one of my favorite heals to have. Not only in 1v1 does it let you benefit off of enemy skills (my favorite is using glint heal on another rev's sword 3, they can't cancel it and it does a ton of damage and often full heals you), but in teamfights (where you are a lot) it lets you take advantage of the uncontrolled damage and the focus often directed at you. It just takes some getting used to to allow you to get the full benefit of it.

Holo is a really great one to use as well. Not only does it open up options for you in terms of role filling, but mastering holo and the 3 different variations of it you have (Rocket boots, elixer static, conv) will allow you to fill almost any role you need to.

This xD

Essentially speaking, DeadEye and Daredevil have 2 completely different roles in SPvP and even tough they can, they don't really overlap.If the other thief is playing DE, change to Roamer Daredevil or Core Thief. If opposite, change to DeadEye DPS setup.

I don't really like to change classes on SPvP, last time I changed my Thief for something else I found out that the Thief I let play ignore rotations the whole freakin game and we pretty much lost due to lack of Decaps or +1 support.If you know your role, stick with it.

@Mbelch.9028 said:

The value of those heals goes down proportionately to the skill of your foe. Once you fight a warrior who knows to weapon stow instead of blowing a full HB against an invuln target, you end up exchanging an actual heal for a small window of downtime in the middle of a fight.

With AED, you may get away with it more, but mostly because it's less expected by most players.

Archived