Perhaps add a basic mount to core game.

Fipmip.7219

Just to get this out of the way, I own PoF, I am not trying to beg for free stuff.

The thought occurred to me that players from other MMOs are used to having a mount of some form in the game, one that they can access without having to pay for anything extra. People coming in blind to gw2 will see people running around on cool raptors and energy dogs, and think hey this game's version of mounts are pretty cool, can't wait to get one. eventually learn that the only way to get them is via downloadable content, which I imagine will probably put a damper on things. Further still they will find there is no way of getting any kind of mount without paying extra, not even a basic one which has come to be a standard in MMOs. I think adding some kind of core mount will benefit player retention.

Or, like Gliding, it's an incentive to purchase for the Play4Free players. It's not like the Core game can be purchased, easily, anymore. Thus, those new players 'coming in blind' will be purchasing either Heart of Thorns (for Gliding), or Path of Fire (for Mounts), or both. Not having a Mount is probably one of the least disincentives when it comes to Play4Free players.

Just like in archeage, there's an incentive to pay for membership because it's massively restrictive without it, just like in star wars battlefront there's an incentive to pay for the season pass because without it you only get like 4 maps. I'm not saying having to pay for mounts might be perceived as bull shit, I'm saying that people often expect mounts to be part of the base game. The real question is whether the tradeoff is worth it - add mounts to the base game and keep the people that would (understandably) otherwise think Anet is an unethical money hungry company? Or leave them out and reap the benefits from the f2pers/HoT only buyers that are willing to pay for mounts?

I think the vast majority of players would understand the perhaps novel concept behind mounts in GW2 once they realise they're not like the 'tradition mounts' most people associate with other MMOs. Mounts are very much a means to an ends in GW2. They're tied intimately to the Path of Fire expansion and are absolutely necessary to enjoy/complete that content. They're a unique movement mechanic, just like gliding is to Heart of Thorn's. Once outside of Path of Fire however, mounts are not required at all and subsequently fall into the 'fluff', 'fashion' or 'quality of life' category. I'm confident most players are intelligent to understand this difference once they educate themselves about the game.

Anet is a for-profit business so you can't really call not adding a core mount, especially 5 years in, unethical or even money hungry.

I personally don't care either way, as I think there are more serious issues to address. You might have missed the ship on this idea though, as so many people have already paid for mounts.

@Fipmip.7219 said:The thought occurred to me that players from other MMOs are used to having a mount of some form in the game, one that they can access without having to pay for anything extra. People coming in blind to gw2 will see people running around on cool raptors and energy dogs, and think hey this game's version of mounts are pretty cool, can't wait to get one. eventually learn that the only way to get them is via downloadable content, which I imagine will probably put a damper on things. Further still they will find there is no way of getting any kind of mount without paying extra, not even a basic one which has come to be a standard in MMOs. I think adding some kind of core mount will benefit player retention.

In my opinion, the PoF mounts should be banned from cory Tyria altogether, as they are totally overpowered for that region. Instead, I would prefer the introduction of, let's say, a horse whose only skill it is to run faster than by foot. No special skills such as high jumps, wide distance jumps, blinking or whatever. Problem solved.

I disagree with OP because WPs will never go away. And we all know that core zones have plenty of WPs. They are F2P players, they have plenty of opportunities to test the game, see if they like it, get a little test of endgame through fractals/dungeons. It is already so much generous imo.

If players want to upgrade their accounts from what is essentially the unlimited trial version, and remove all the restrictions, they have a choice: HoT for Gliding, PoF for Mounts, or the bundle for both. I don't think (trial) Play4Free would be considering ArenaNet unscrupulous in some way, for not offering one of the many advantages for purchasing an unrestricted copy of the game. If they do, then it's likely they won't be happy with all the other restrictions (limited character slots, limited TP access, limited chat, etc., etc.), as well.

Besides, if people have indeed played other MMOs, they are likely to be used to paying a lot of money in terms of subscription fees, pay2win stuff etc (Not saying that all MMOs have those). So as core gamers, which costs nothing anymore, paying a one-off payment for either HoT or PoF (or both) should not be that discouraging for them. Additionally, it's not like they will be paying for just the mounts/gliding. They are getting a whole expansion with it which would really justify the price.

@flog.3485 said:I disagree with OP because WPs will never go away. And we all know that core zones have plenty of WPs. They are F2P players, they have plenty of opportunities to test the game, see if they like it, get a little test of endgame through fractals/dungeons. It is already so much generous imo.

You still have to run between WPs.At the very least, buff movespeed by 25%. Most classes have to sacrifice to achieve it (signets, awful specs). The WP system has always been atrocious, because movement speed is agonisingly slow.

Mounts are hilariously overpowered in core lands. Especially when it comes to meta events. 3/4 of a group will race ahead and beat the event before the rest of the group is even within range of it.

Archived