[Spoiler] Caithe´s future. — Guild Wars 2 Forums

[Spoiler] Caithe´s future.

DanAlcedo.3281DanAlcedo.3281 Member ✭✭✭✭

Hi!

My theory is that Aurene knew she would die, so she gave Caithe her "role" in the All.

Caithe is the new Kormir.

She is a Dragon Minion.

She will be the next Elder "Dragon".

Your thoughts?

Comments

• RedShark.9548RedShark.9548 Member ✭✭✭✭

this or second comment, more likely the second one....
    its a big kitten cliffhanger anyways

• ThatOddOne.4387ThatOddOne.4387 Member ✭✭✭

I was getting more and more annoyed throughout the episode thinking "Really? THIS is all we needed?"

And then my hope was restored.

Though a certain God's image appearing above Kralkatorrik during his charge up made me really kitten suspicious that ArenaNet has forgotten their own lore.

• witcher.3197witcher.3197 Member ✭✭✭✭

@ThatOddOne.4387 said:
    Though a certain God's image appearing above Kralkatorrik during his charge up made me really kitten suspicious that ArenaNet has forgotten their own lore.

Why?

Unless they go the route that Balthazar was still a supremely powerful magical being without being a God and clearly state that, then it would imply that Kralkatorrik has Divine magic given its significant enough for his image to stand separate to both Mordremoth's and Zhaitan's.

it was so obvious that he wasnt dead, and just playing
    his hp bar was at like 30-40% when i got the cutscene, BS falling for that newbtrap

• I don't have Path of Fire so what happened exactly? Did Balthazar hijack Kralkatorrik and kill Aurene?

• ugrakarma.9416ugrakarma.9416 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Mickey Frogeater.1470 said:
    I don't have Path of Fire so what happened exactly? Did Balthazar hijack Kralkatorrik and kill Aurene?

in Path of Fire? if PoF we killed Balthazar.

Tannhauser Engineer(SoS) | Atlantean Sword | Khel the Undead

• @ugrakarma.9416 said:

I don't have Path of Fire so what happened exactly? Did Balthazar hijack Kralkatorrik and kill Aurene?

We destroyed his body and his essence was absorbed by Aurene and Kralkatorrik. Despite this let's not forget that Dhuum was able to be reduced to energy and could not be killed. Furthermore Kormir specifically stated that the reason she never became Abaddon was because his will was broken which meant that if his will was stronger he could have taken over her.

Kralkatorrik does not seem like something that has a strong will... Especially not on the level of his Scion Glint nor her children.

edited January 8, 2019

If Balthazar was really "in control" of Kralkatorrik then he'd be off hunting down the Gods not fighting us, since that was Balthazar's stated goal.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

We destroyed his body and his essence was absorbed by Aurene and Kralkatorrik. Despite this let's not forget that Dhuum was able to be reduced to energy and could not be killed. Furthermore Kormir specifically stated that the reason she never became Abaddon was because his will was broken which meant that if his will was stronger he could have taken over her.

Kralkatorrik does not seem like something that has a strong will... Especially not on the level of his Scion Glint nor her children.

kralk played dead and some stones hit the PC, then aurene walked close to him. he attacked us and she jumped in front of us and got impaled

edited January 8, 2019

it will be very lore-breaking to assume that absorbing magic (and even more so only partial magic) = take over the mind. I believe that such a "face" of balthazar has merely illustrative intent, to remember that the Elder Dragon has its powers.

• Jimbru.6014Jimbru.6014 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2019

@ThatOddOne.4387 said:
    Unless they go the route that Balthazar was still a supremely powerful magical being without being a God...

That's exactly what he was. Just like Dhuum, he was still a very powerful being to be sure, but a far cry from what he used to be as a full powered god. Which is probably a good thing, otherwise #1 we might not have been able to beat him; #2 if we had beaten him in such a state, Vabbi likely would be a smoking crater lined with our bones right now.

• i may have an idea about what he ment with why balthazar was shown, balthazr had magic from the bloodstones and the machine, not his own.

• Aaron Ansari.1604Aaron Ansari.1604 Member ✭✭✭✭

@ThatOddOne.4387 said:
    Unless they go the route that Balthazar was still a supremely powerful magical being without being a God

Well, do remember that he soaked up the entirety of a magical blast that an NPC said could've annihilated half a continent. The scale wasn't anywhere near what Abaddon's death apparently unleashed, but all the same, the Bloodstone unleashed enough energy to make the Searing and the Cataclysm put together look small. That might've been enough to at least be equivalent to what an Elder Dragon is carrying around.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

• Caithe is the "voice" of aureen. She can only speak to lesser beings thru her. Since we are her champion she can speak to us directly.

• @Mickey Frogeater.1470 said:

Actually somewhere in the new chapter I'm pretty sure Glint or something said his will and determination are unmatchable or something like that, mainly because of his strong fear of being killed due to his vision.

• Narcemus.1348Narcemus.1348 Member ✭✭✭

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

@ThatOddOne.4387 said:
    Unless they go the route that Balthazar was still a supremely powerful magical being without being a God

Well, do remember that he soaked up the entirety of a magical blast that an NPC said could've annihilated half a continent. The scale wasn't anywhere near what Abaddon's death apparently unleashed, but all the same, the Bloodstone unleashed enough energy to make the Searing and the Cataclysm put together look small. That might've been enough to at least be equivalent to what an Elder Dragon is carrying around.

The showing of Balthazar during that blast may also have something to do with the idea that after Balthazar had consumed all of that magic, especially Jormag and Primordus (who are not shown) he converted it to whatever he wanted to use, which took the appearance of Balthazar.

• DeWolfe.2174DeWolfe.2174 Member ✭✭✭

@Zavve.8205 said:
    I still don't understand why Caith gets to have such a connection to Aurene over us.
    idk im just hoping that Caith will give her life somehow to bring Aurene back.

Episode after episode, for 3 years, and we still barely have a relationship with Aurene. We're supposed to have a psychic bond with Aurene that's never explored. Whenever we see Aurene we're cold as kitten to her and just bark orders at her. Now, the dev's reduce our bond by bringing Caithe into this episode.

The whole thing annoys me.

• dusanyu.4057dusanyu.4057 Member ✭✭✭

Balth shows up[ simply becouse he has a good chunk of his power the other two orbs represented Mordy and Zhitan

• Svennis.3852Svennis.3852 Member ✭✭✭

Honestly I’ll be disappointed if the plan is for Caithe to just die. Her entire life will have been tragedy and sacrifice for others.

I suppose it’ll match the rest of her character journey, but still. What a let down.

• cptaylor.2670cptaylor.2670 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Svennis.3852 said:
    Honestly I’ll be disappointed if the plan is for Caithe to just die. Her entire life will have been tragedy and sacrifice for others.

I suppose it’ll match the rest of her character journey, but still. What a let down.

That would pretty much be par for the course for the story though wouldn't it? Blish lasted three episodes before he was sacrificed? If Aurene is now dead then her entire existence as well as her family was just to be one sacrifice after another. Traeherne was a sacrifice though I never really cared for him. Didn't Tibalt sacrifice himself on Claw Island so we could get to safety or something? Can't remember.

And at least Caithe had a chance to fall in love and had a partner. Poor little Aurene was born with people already after her, has been kidnapped, had her brother murdered before she even got to meet him, had most people treating her like kitten because she's a dragon, and then winds up dying despite the prophecies of her dead mother before she even had the chance to grow up. Talk about a life of tragedy. Would much rather Caithe go than Aurene.

• Svennis.3852Svennis.3852 Member ✭✭✭

I don't think either of them have to die, honestly.

• Malediktus.9250Malediktus.9250 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2019

@DeWolfe.2174 said:

@Zavve.8205 said:
    I still don't understand why Caith gets to have such a connection to Aurene over us.
    idk im just hoping that Caith will give her life somehow to bring Aurene back.

Episode after episode, for 3 years, and we still barely have a relationship with Aurene. We're supposed to have a psychic bond with Aurene that's never explored. Whenever we see Aurene we're cold as kitten to her and just bark orders at her. Now, the dev's reduce our bond by bringing Caithe into this episode.

The whole thing annoys me.

The commander is there to command and empathy is detrimental for the commander job.

I disagree. Some of the most successful people in world history had low empathy. Also empathy is nothing you can learn. But you can lose it for example if your amygdala gets damaged or even removed.

• DeWolfe.2174DeWolfe.2174 Member ✭✭✭

Thank you! Empathy is absolutely required for leadership. Besides the fact that the people around us are supposed to be "family". Also, our characters aren't in the pact nor are we a "commander" any longer. Let's face it, the label is used because Anet needed a generic name for the voice actors to use. Maybe the Living story would sell better if our character had more emotional range to match what we have in real life. Sure, there are low empathy sociopaths and psychopaths but, I wouldn't go that route as the majority won't identify with that.

Empathy is not required for leadership. Even if that does not result in positive results for the majority of people involved with such a person, the low empathy person often has an above average personal success in life. There is a reason why you often find such people in CEO positions, in politics, as lawyers, in journalism and medicine.
    Also Anet never talks about the personality of the player character, so it leaves lots of room for interpretation. Low empathy (there are at least 3 different kind of empathies by the way) is not only a symptom of psychopathy/sociopathy but of a wide range of neurological differences and personality disorders.

• Aaron Ansari.1604Aaron Ansari.1604 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2019

@Malediktus.9250 said:
    Even if that does not result in positive results for the majority of people involved with such a person, the low empathy person often has an above average personal success in life.

Sure, but there's a difference between leadership and a personal talent for climbing into positions of power. Doing well by yourself isn't leading anyone, it's just exploiting that position of power... something that comes up frequently in most of the careers you listed.

Either way, though, I think it's a bit of a moot point. The only time our PC ever leads anyone is by delivering the occasional motivational speech. Outside of that, all they do is try to herd a small number of cats, with decidedly mixed results.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

• good leadership needs empathy.

a lot of CEOs and other 'economical leaders', also politicians lack empathy

which is why they are horrible leaders and only interested in their own well being.

Please show me a good politican working for the good of his/her nation?

hm....

a good CEO that does more than artificially pumping the stock prize to make his options more valuable?

eh....

edited January 29, 2019

I found this article which seems like a counterpoint to @Hesione.9412
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5005963/

@VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 said:
    good leadership needs empathy.

which is why they are horrible leaders and only interested in their own well being.

hm....

a good CEO that does more than artificially pumping the stock prize to make his options more valuable?

eh....

CEOs in the US are obliged to maximize shareholder value as far as I know. So how would they be horrible leaders if they succeed at that goal? Just because you don't agree with it?

• Tyson.5160Tyson.5160 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Malediktus.9250 said:

hm....

eh....

CEOs in the US are obliged to maximize shareholder value as far as I know. So how would they be horrible leaders if they succeed at that goal? Just because you don't agree with it?

Ok cool, but the story goes to kitten, if the Commander is a robot psychopath. It makes for kitten and lazy writing with a terrible story.

@Svennis.3852 said:

Agreed lol. i vote for some a bit of "glory" to her.

• @Malediktus.9250 said:

hm....

eh....

there is a difference between artificial pumping and healthy grow.

• Aplethoraof.2643Aplethoraof.2643 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019

Don't forget, Empathy doesn't necessarily equate to you using that emotional understanding for the good of others. All it means is that you have a high degree of control over your own emotional state, you understand your emotional state, you understand other's emotional states and in its highest form, you know how to exert control over other's emotional state (aka push buttons, to help or hinder).

Empathy is 100% an essential trait for leadership because an effective leader will be able to understand other people's emotional states, stay in control of their own, and figure out ways to press others towards a certain emotional state (riling up a crowd for a particular cause, for example). If you don't understand what makes other people tick, you'll need someone who does in order to effectively move them towards your vision as a leader.

Some leaders (many poorer ones) aren't empathetic and do have poor control over their own emotional state or a poor understanding of other's emotional states. But no leader alive has ever worked alone and you can bet that if the leader lacked empathy and was successful, they had someone empathetic advising them.

I'd say the commander probably has a poor understanding of other people, but good control over their own emotions (staying calm in the heat of the moment, etc.). But the commander does have advisors. Such as, before they made their speech after Balthy was killed, the commander asked all 3 of his companions "what should I say?". Then they made a decision based on their advisor's expertise, rather than his own.

• @Malediktus.9250 said:

hm....

eh....

You are conflating a lack of empathy with autism, using one paper that does historical revisionism. Seriously?

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.