im looking to get into this game — Guild Wars 2 Forums

im looking to get into this game

hi, guild wars 2 community,
im interested in this game, and want to know if its worth getting into, i like mmo, i cant really afford subscription base games for the time being, so im wonder if this is worth getting into and what should i expect when i get into the game.

Comments

• Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭

Yes, at the least you will get a ton of story gameplay out of your purchase.

Given the often discounted game price, I would definatly recommend picking up the game and giving it a try.

• this sounds like what im looking for, what would be a good starting class, im thinking warrior any suggestions for a n00b?

• Eme.2018Eme.2018 Member ✭✭✭

@nemesismatrix.2753 said:
    this sounds like what im looking for, what would be a good starting class, im thinking warrior any suggestions for a n00b?

Play anything but elementalist

• @Eme.2018 said:

this sounds like what im looking for, what would be a good starting class, im thinking warrior any suggestions for a n00b?

Play anything but elementalist

Elementalists are in a decent place right now. Both of their elite specs are meta-viable and have well-distinguished roles in support, condi-dps, and power-dps. Staff could use some attention and they could do more to make varied weapon sets viable, but there's really no reason to avoid the class if it interests you.

• ok cool i cant wait to play then. it said it comes with one free level boost as well.

• Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭

ok cool i cant wait to play then. it said it comes with one free level boost as well.

There is multiple threads from New people on this forum, especially in the help new player section. Take a look at those.

That said: do not boost your first character. You will be overwhelmed and likely quit the game.

• If you're like me and did not read up on the 80 boost and how it effects new players to the game then here is what I suggest...
    Instead of creating a new level 1, I just take my your new boosted character back to the starting area and start playing through the content.
    I took my first boosted 80 and got the mounts first - it's easy-peasy. Now that I have finally played through several professions and decided on the 2 I love and the races, I have 2 of each (Guardian and Mesmer). I plan to take them all back through content now.

• ok cool thanks for all the positive feed back, i think i will do that download the game and if i like it i will get the expansions pack i know the new expansion is on sale and i can get the other expansion for $10 for buying the current expansion so ill give it a go, im looking for something else than just wow, wow dont seem like wow anymore feels like im playing something else and seems like the community gets worse and worse after each expansion so im looking for a new horrizon. ill talk to you guys later. thanks for the great feed back.

• I was like you weeks into BFA. Found GW2 and will never look back. I hope you find what you're looking for here - just don't be in a rush. There are so many fun and fascinating parts of Tyria to explore and this community is second to none.

• JustTrogdor.7892JustTrogdor.7892 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019

If you are able to post on the forum you already have some full version of GW2 either core or with one or both expansions. That is the only way you would have forum posting privileges. So why not download it and log in, give it a try to see if you like it since you apparently already have some full version of the game? That would probably be the best way to tell if you like it or not. :)

As for the level 80 boosts those only come with the expansions. So if all you have is the full core game you would not get that. But as others have said, as a new player using the boost before at least leveling a character to 80 naturally is a bad idea anyway.

As for a decent starting profession I would say Guardian or Ranger just to learn the basics. Both are pretty easy early on and have a fair amount margin for error in the basic parts of the game. Also note that characters get birthday presents every year based on the date they were created. So it might be worth hanging on to your first few characters even if you decide to play a different profession later.

• wow thats cool, yah i played a little bit on my old computer before it got fried, but i should check it out im very interested in playing this game.

• AliamRationem.5172AliamRationem.5172 Member ✭✭✭✭

Conventional wisdom goes something like this:

Easy - Warrior, Necromancer, Ranger

Medium - Guardian, Thief, Revenant

Hard - Elementalist, Engineer, Mesmer

The Easy classes have strong passive defenses (e.g. high health, high armor, pets to run distraction) paired with fairly straightforward mechanics.

The Medium classes have low health except for the revenant, which makes the list due to a somewhat more complex resource management scheme and utility skill setup.

The Hard classes have relatively complex mechanics which new players may find a bit overwhelming when just trying to learn the basics.

Keep in mind that the core game is significantly easier than expansion content. You'll probably want to be pretty comfortable with whichever class you choose by the time you reach level 80. The jungle (Heart of Thorns expansion) is not a very forgiving place if you're still learning the basics!

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.