Please, no more new Outfits, we need armor sets - RIGHT????

I have been observing that the more elaborate work on the design side (of armor sets) has been more focused on outfits. It's amazing the creative ability on the part of the art team, congratulations, really are well detailed and worked.

On the other hand, the armors and skins of the game are leaving many people unsatisfed. We need to use parts of different sets to compose a custom look, and too many unused parts are too simplistic (the vast majority). As a fast reminder, only the most expensive T3 racial sets are the most worked out in detail and elaboration (I believe most players do not use the full racial set in their characters).

When I see a new outfit (extremely well elaborated) I get terrified when I open the wardrobe (heavy armor) and I can find a little more than 8 armor sets attracts me. (to this day, the most beautiful and elaborate sets of the game are those of RAID, the others ... I do not want to discourage).

Please, at least sell in the trading post the outfits as skin options (separated by parts). It is a way to increase player satisfaction and can be profitable for business in some way.

PS: The game needs to urgently put cloaks as back item...

Thanks!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just got two new full sets of armor during LS4.4. ANet tells us it takes around 8-9 months per set, with only modest savings by using similar skins (since the bulk of the work isn't the original design or the initial rendering; it's in getting all the details right).

According to ANet, even the devs would love to see more armor skins in the game; it's just not a realistic goal, as long as the skins are as rich & complex as the ones we've seen so far.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:We just got two new full sets of armor the last episode. ANet tells us it takes around 8-9 months per set, with only modest savings by using similar skins (since the bulk of the work isn't the original design or the initial rendering; it's in getting all the details right).

According to ANet, even the devs would love to see more armor skins in the game; it's just not a realistic goal, as long as the skins are as rich & complex as the ones we've seen so far.

At least my point is .... even the latest armor sets that were created and delivered, do not even come close to the good work A-NET does with the outfits. It is visible. I did not enter with a point just to talk about my dissatisfaction, it comes from a certain time, several negative comments from other people about it.

For example, today after the update. With the new incredible map, story just as incredible ... I saw the new outfit (Logan's armor) being linked in the chat. I found it a fantastic job, but the Etsy and Demi were not so well done (compared to outfit).

Several comments finding the outfit incredible, but many more were those who did not like it for being an Outfit, (The players enjoy the game quite love the work of the team, I am one of them).

But some points are being ignored, at least they should have the option to choose between buying an outfit or a separate set (outfit).

PS: I do not talk about having many wonderful armor sets, I just came with an idea to enable the purchase of the outfits as separate pieces (according to several similar comments to mine).

@rozados.1928 said:

@"DakotaCoty.5721" said:Inb4 whiteknights say "BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MONEY", because who cares about consumer morale, right?

That's a stupid response as they can just sell armor pieces, like they already do, and even full sets. I think it's more like it's much more complicated to make 6 different skins to fit all 5 races than a single piece to fit them all instead. And if I remember right, they actually gave this response at some point.

Starting from the idea that it is complicated to do for all races ... The outfit would already have the mold of all races, so it would be an additional job to shape the separate parts just (just as they already do and should do much more in these cases).

Except that outfits do NOT have to be checked for all transition points between armor pieces since they can not be combined with anything beside weapons and backpieces.

Unless you don't mind ugly clipping issues between armor pieces. Which Arenanet seems to mind since they try to keep this to as little as possible.

There is more than just fitting armor or outfits to races, which in its self is already a lot of work. The fine work is what takes ages.

@"rozados.1928" said:I have been observing that the more elaborate work on the design side (of armor sets) has been more focused on outfits. It's amazing the creative ability on the part of the art team, congratulations, really are well detailed and worked.

On the other hand, the armors and skins of the game are leaving many people unsatisfed. We need to use parts of different sets to compose a custom look, and too many unused parts are too simplistic (the vast majority). As a fast reminder, only the most expensive T3 racial sets are the most worked out in detail and elaboration (I believe most players do not use the full racial set in their characters).

When I see a new outfit (extremely well elaborated) I get terrified when I open the wardrobe (heavy armor) and I can find a little more than 8 armor sets attracts me. (to this day, the most beautiful and elaborate sets of the game are those of RAID, the others ... I do not want to discourage).

Please, at least sell in the trading post the outfits as skin options (separated by parts). It is a way to increase player satisfaction and can be profitable for business in some way.

PS: The game needs to urgently put cloaks as back item...

Thanks!

Yes, since skins are the only progression for your character left as a longterm player, I don't understand how they can justify putting work into complete outfits that take that for the most part away and render any more new armor skins useless.

these Outfits need to be stopped. We need to rip them apart, salvage everything that can be turned in individual armor pieves. It's just such a terrible idea for the players in almost any way (except for leveling alts maybe, but who really cares?). Only reason they're doing this is that they exactly know that the whlaes are unable to control themselves, they just buy everything new they like and if something better comes out, they now can't just mix and match anymore, they have to buy an entirely new set.

And don't come around with the "clipping armor" and making armor pieces is therefore too restricctive and only outfits can achieve the artistic freedom. There are an insane amount of armor pieces that clip already like crazy. It's the players choice and duty in the fashion wars to find the pieces that match together. We can do that, just give us the parts, we assemble it on our own in all the right ways.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:We just got two new full sets of armor the last episode. ANet tells us it takes around 8-9 months per set, with only modest savings by using similar skins (since the bulk of the work isn't the original design or the initial rendering; it's in getting all the details right).

Not being very thorough with your response considering how you'd usually post links to other similar threads or Dev posts links. At least reply to the op's actual comment.

But the idea to separate an outfit into armor parts can only be done if the outfit was designed like the armor to begin with. Think of outfits as a different armor weight (light, medium, heavy and outfit) and most parts cannot be mixed across those weights. I've always heard it was the anchor points and clipping being what limits mixing across armor weights but I've heard other convincing arguments to the contrary.

That being said, I think outfits are great and hope they not only make more but improve on outfits so there are more ways to wear them (such as being able to disable the gloves or other parts and possibly even allow your armor helm to show while wearing the outfit). There's a lot of improvements and QoL changes they could add.

The game needs way more armor sets and almost no outfits. Outfits are just dyeable tonics and make everyone look the same. I'm not interested in any of the technical reasons they cant or wont add more armor, they need to add more armor.

If they dropped a $50 expansion that only added armor sets or legendary skins with enhancements for cosmetics like dyeable weapons or particle effects I'd buy it without hesitation.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:We just got two new full sets of armor the last episode.

I still don't know where I can preview those or how they are called... Help appreciated.

(Elegy and Requiem)

That is from the PREVIOUS episode. I already have those. I was asking for the NEW armor set - thought there was one (Diviner's?).

Edit: Okay, obviously, there are no new armor skins in this eppy but only recipes for gear with the new STATS. A misunderstanding.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:We just got two new full sets of armor the last episode.

I still don't know where I can preview those or how they are called... Help appreciated.

(Elegy and Requiem)

That is from the PREVIOUS episode. I already have those. I was asking for the NEW armor set - thought there was one (Diviner's?).Sorry, apparently, "last episode" means "latest" to some people. I should have said which episode. I'll fix that above.

@Leo G.4501 said:

Not being very thorough with your response considering how you'd usually post links to other similar threads or Dev posts links.I thought it sufficiently thorough for the circumstances. If you believe it needs more, the details aren't hard to find. They've been posted many times before.

At least reply to the op's actual comment.I was responding to a post that has been subsequently removed. I just didn't happen to quote it.

@Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:I'm not interested in any of the technical reasons they cant or wont add more armor...

The good thing about science, or technical reasons, is they work whether you believe in them or not.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:I thought it sufficiently thorough for the circumstances. If you believe it needs more, the details aren't hard to find. They've been posted many times before.

Many, many times before. I'm not surprised the topic keeps coming up, but it really shouldn't be.

I find that most outfits look amazing and i want them so much as armor skins. But i will not buy them. Its good that there are people who buy them but for me i dont like having a large mmo where everyone is looking the same. I mean would people like if the character creation had sets of looks instead of pick each part?

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

(Elegy and Requiem)

Personally I think it's unbelievable ... I do not understand how such a good and creative team can make Outfits equally incredible (Links below) and deliver the ELEGY and REQUIEM armors sets so simplistic. being that they did a phenomenal job in the raid SET

Elegy - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/6/68/Elegy_armor_%28heavy%29_human_male_front.jpgRequien - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/6/6f/Requiem_armor_%28heavy%29_human_male_front.jpgRAID SET (heavy) - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/6/63/Perfected_Envoy_armor_%28heavy%29_human_male_front.jpg

Hard work, detailed, incredible work .. go to the outfits...

Inquest - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/2/22/Inquest_Exo-Suit_Outfit_human_male_front.jpgLunatic - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/a/ab/Lunatic_Guard_Outfit_human_male_front.jpgMad Scientist - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/c/c0/Mad_Scientist_Outfit_human_male_front.jpgPathfinder - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/7/76/Rox%27s_Pathfinder_Outfit_human_male_front.jpgSentinel - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/4/42/Sentinel_Outfit_human_male_front.jpgTimekeeper - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/7/74/Timekeeper_Outfit_norn_male_front.jpgExo Suit - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/0/00/Dynamics_Exo-Suit_Outfit_human_male_front.jpgFallen Balthazar - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/6/60/Fallen_Balthazar_Outfit_human_male_front.jpgBalthazar's Regalia - https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/6/67/Balthazar%27s_Regalia_Outfit_human_male_front.jpg

@"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:The game needs way more armor sets and almost no outfits. Outfits are just dyeable tonics and make everyone look the same. I'm not interested in any of the technical reasons they cant or wont add more armor, they need to add more armor.

If they dropped a $50 expansion that only added armor sets or legendary skins with enhancements for cosmetics like dyeable weapons or particle effects I'd buy it without hesitation.

"dyeable weapons" I liked it. O/

@Milan.9035 said:I find that most outfits look amazing and i want them so much as armor skins. But i will not buy them. Its good that there are people who buy them but for me i dont like having a large mmo where everyone is looking the same. I mean would people like if the character creation had sets of looks instead of pick each part?

I think 99.9% of players just buy outfits because they think they're cute, and obviously they're not going to buy them all. They use it for some short time and after that they hardly use it again for satisfaction. I agree that in a game of the size of GW2 it is not interesting that the players all looked the same using the same look, the option of separate parts needs to be given.

• 2 months later...

@rozados.1928 said:

(Elegy and Requiem)

Personally I think it's unbelievable ... I do not understand how such a good and creative team can make Outfits equally incredible (Links below) and deliver the ELEGY and REQUIEM armors sets so simplistic. being that they did a phenomenal job in the raid SET

Elegy -
Requien -
RAID SET (heavy) -

Inquest -
Lunatic -
Mad Scientist -
Pathfinder -
Sentinel -
Timekeeper -
Exo Suit -
Fallen Balthazar -
Balthazar's Regalia -

This is partially a matter of personal taste. Apart from the gigantic shoulders I'd take the Elegy and Requiem armour over any of the outfits you linked (and the benefit with the armour skins is I can hide those shoulders, or use different ones). Well, Pathfinder isn't bad, but it looks so much like normal armour I'd prefer to put together a customised look using armour skins than pay for that.

I actually got the Fallen Balthazar outfit from a black lion chest while trying for something else and I don't think I've ever used it. Even using dark dyes to tone down the flame effect it still looks a mess and makes all my characters look absurdly bulky. If I could give it away I would have done but unfortunately it was stuck on my account as soon as I opened the chest.

I think the Elegy and Requiem sets were designed partially to address common complaints among players - they've got trousers for light armoured female characters, no tunic overlapping the leggings on the heavy armour (aka 'butt cape') and no trench coat on the medium armour. It wouldn't surprise me if the minimal particle effects (at least on the Elegy set) is also in response to players complaining that so many of the skins in this game make your character look like a mess of flashing lights.

@rozados.1928 said:

(Elegy and Requiem)

Elegy -
Requien -
RAID SET (heavy) -

Inquest -
Lunatic -
Mad Scientist -
Pathfinder -
Sentinel -
Timekeeper -
Exo Suit -
Fallen Balthazar -
Balthazar's Regalia -

Those are all absolutely repulsive! After 6 years I figured the dev's would have learned their taste is very niche and it would do the companies bottom line well if they opened up to new fashion. It's why almost all of my character have been running around in the Pirate outfit because I hate just about everything in the game when it comes to armor skins. At least they could have turned the town clothes into armor skins instead of wasting them by turning them into useless tonics.

GW2 has a fervent player base that would love... LOVE... to customize their armor skins. Give us the specifics of the models etc and we'd be submitting tons of new armors to Anet for free!