Place your bets. Is ________ (massive spoiler) - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Place your bets. Is ________ (massive spoiler)

2>

Comments

• No

@Magnus Godrik.5841 said:

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Dragons cant foresee thier deaths. Kralkatorik couldnt and glint couldnt so obviously aureen cant. If they could glint would be alive and kralkatorrik wouldnt be kitten in his pants.

I mean, Kralkatorrik saw a world without him. That means he saw after his death.

Yes but he didnt see how he dies and by whom.

Doesn't really change anything. Glint couldn't see her death or beyond it. Kralkatorrik saw beyond his supposed death. Aurene saw her death.

Either Glint lied to her "journal", or she's the lesser of the three.

• Predator.2847Predator.2847 Member ✭✭
    edited January 15, 2019
    No

Let show him this reality, BRING YOUR PICKAXE! It's time to mining a dragon!

• cptaylor.2670cptaylor.2670 Member ✭✭✭✭

Dragons cant foresee thier deaths. Kralkatorik couldnt and glint couldnt so obviously aureen cant. If they could glint would be alive and kralkatorrik wouldnt be kitten in his pants.

I mean, Kralkatorrik saw a world without him. That means he saw after his death.

Doesn't really change anything. Glint couldn't see her death or beyond it. Kralkatorrik saw beyond his supposed death. Aurene saw her death.

Either Glint lied to her "journal", or she's the lesser of the three.

If she couldn't see beyond her death then how does Ogden know about the lich being part of said prophecy? Or did I miss that that was information given to him by Glint long ago and we're just now hearing about it because this is the first time we've spoken to Ogden about it?

• borgs.6103borgs.6103 Member ✭✭✭
    No

It's going to be a "Freaky Friday" body-switch. It's Kralk that's dead in Aurene's corpse and Aurene is now Kralk. Problem solved! Dilemma deleted!

Hi.

You know, with all these time rifts going on, whose to say we aren’t in some nightmare fractal of Kralks doing and that fight either didn’t happen at all, didn’t go that way, or just didn’t finish because he trapped us in a time rift?

• No

@cptaylor.2670 said:
    You know, with all these time rifts going on, whose to say we aren’t in some nightmare fractal of Kralks doing and that fight either didn’t happen at all, didn’t go that way, or just didn’t finish because he trapped us in a time rift?

And next episode, we kill Kralkatorrik. But then we're back in the Auditorium, and Aurene flies through with Kralkatorrik bursting, and Aurene dies and we kill Kralkatorrik in revenge again. Then we're back in the Auditorium...

"Commander, I've come to barter!"

Just want to make a note in the more logical thread choice.. but...

Why do people want this story to get darker and darker? In this season and expansion alone we've had Vlast sacrifice himself to save the player character from Balthazar before Aurene even had the chance to meet him, a charr cub's father be experimented on and tortured, a soldier ask to die alone on a floating platform in space just to avoid potential eternal slavery in undeath, a brother sacrifice his golem immortality just to become a gps to give us a slight advantage, and now people just want Aurene to stay dead? If you want it so kitten dark why don't we just obliterate half of Tyria and change everything to greyscale. Just suck any potential light or hope out of every facet of this game that we can. For that matter, let's just cause Tyria to implode and have only 10 people or so magically find refuge in some time-loop in the mists where everyone dies over and over and over again. Just be as bleak as possible for an entire expansion.

I mean really, are people overlooking the fact that we've already had TWO sacrifices since Path of Fire released. Vlast and Blish. Both finite deaths. Do we really need Aurene's death to be the third in this increasingly cliché pattern.

Those of you that want her to stay dead and out of the picture, have you considered the fact that we will then be essentially spending an entire season somehow with this whole "Kralk is devouring the mists and destroying reality."

I mean really.. just to recap the overarching story here:
    We have to kill the elder dragons.
    If we kill the elder dragons, Tyria goes into chaos and can be destroyed.
    Aurene and Vlast are meant to replace the two currently dead elder dragons.
    Balthazar is threatening to kill Kralk so we have to kill Balthazar, but in doing so Kralk becomes more powerful.
    We learn that Kralk now has the ability to travel to the mists, is eating the mists, and now not just Tyria but reality itself is at risk.
    Aurene is now potentially dead, so we have Kralk still able to travel to the mists and reality is still at risk of being destroyed with no opposition.

So what's next? What's the next step in this fun little chain of higher and higher stakes bar-raising events?

We have another rogue god appear that prevents us from being able to pursue killing Kralk and creating another roadblock? We have another elder dragon show up and Kralk be like... nah bruh, you got my magic, and kill him too? Becoming even more powerful?

At some point they have to stop raising the bar. And spending an entire season finding some other solution for Kralk while we're still at risk of reality being destroyed seems like far worse writing than bringing Aurene back.

I do have to agree that they've kind of cornered themselves with the writing at this point.

Because now you're left with the choice of:

Do you want a somewhat predictable ending that can still be potentially well-written and rewarding to where we've been in the story?

Or do you want us to continue along this, reality is ending and there's no hope and now we have to find some other solution but we don't know what yet journey that could wind up with anything from Time Traveling, to alternate realities, to finding magical weapons that "do the work of elder dragons" and thus make all future elder dragon plots irrelevant unless it gets destroyed and we wind up going down this same series of ...big threat..setback...bigger threat...setback...biggest threat..setback…randomly introduced solution.

Idk. I think I'll go with the first choice and have a perfectly logical and rewarding solution to a problem that's been inflated over and over and over to the point that at any moment we could be dealing with some Warlord's of Draenor World of Warcraft time travel alternate dimension level story simply because we've blown everything so far out of proportion that we need a comic-book level reset on the entire story. And having this solution be because of a beloved fan-favorite character's death makes the most sense out of anything else.

Intentionally not showing Aurene's actual moment of death or letting us have interaction with her corpse, any of our team, and directly ending the instance with a black screen saying "I don't know" as well as countless hints about Joko being a part of this plan as well as dialogue establishing that awakening works on dragon minions.. as well as a dev post saying that Joko's death wasn't just a way to quickly write him off and change direction...

Like, why are people not seeing this? Why are people choosing not to embrace this as a viable and better alternative? Why discredit it as cheap or bad writing when we've had the building blocks being laid this entire time?

Also, to the note of the player character dying and returning to life by essentially bargaining their way out of the underworld... you're essentially using this as somekind of precedent or reason as to why they can't repeat something similar with Aurene.

But if you think about it, we fought Balthazar-- a former human god-- and died because we weren't ready. (I feel like this entire part of the story was only really implemented so that we would have interaction with Joko to begin with but beside the point)

Now Aurene, faces Kralk and dies because we're led to believe that she wasn't ready.

It's the exact same scenario, only if Aurene stays dead then what? What makes the player character so special that they can come back from the dead and not this dragon that's had an entire legacy and prophecy based around her with entire races of people ensuring her survival? How would that not be cheap? We deserve plot armor and a slap on the wrist in the form of everyone around us dying in the face of constantly looming apocalyptic level threats... but Aurene's plot armor is somehow more offensive?

The story is dark enough as it is and at some point this train has to get back on the track or just wreck completely.

So if you want it darker for the sake of it just being darker, in all sincerity, let's just blow up Tyria, the mists, and end the entire Guild Wars universe on that note. Then, as Guild Wars 3 never arrives as you may have potentially thought it would as the outcome of this whole scenario, you can see that darker story, shock value, and "bold story decisions" aren't everything you thought you wanted.

• Aaron Ansari.1604Aaron Ansari.1604 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2019

cp, while I do agree with most of your points... did you look at the results of the poll? 80% agree that this isn't the end for Aurene. On this forum, with this kind of question, that's a massive majority. There are dissenters, certainly, but aren't there always going to be people who like different things than you do? Ease up on 'em.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

• No

I'd also like to add that it's not a certainty that Blish is dead. He said he'd be shutting off his higher functions, but that's exactly what happened to him in Amnoon. He's effectively in sensory deprivation mode, not dead. With golems being resistant / immune to branding, there's a chance he's still alive. Just gotta kill Kralkattorik then find the golem body. Even if the body is no good, whatever stores Blish's soul/consciousness may remain intact and transferable to a new body.

Chances are ArenaNet won't bring him back, mind you, but it is theoretically plausible.

• RedShark.9548RedShark.9548 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

His magic stays in the world as part of the all thingy, so technically he wouldnt die, the world lived on without his body and mind, but his magic... Something like that

• lokh.2695lokh.2695 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

Seeing how everone was super sad that glint died....until the writers decided that she is still alive and well as a spirit in the mists, I doubt that Aurene has left the story. I assume that "the thing about ascension that can only be shared between dragons" is the secret how to permanently live in the mists and communicate with the normal world.

If you want X, and Y is needed to get get X, you also have to want Y if you really want X. If you don't want Y, you don't want X. It's easy.
    Pro: Build Templates, Dungeon Rework, UW content
    Contra: New Races, New Classes, New Weapons, Capes

• hugo.4705hugo.4705 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2019
    Yes

yes, no resurrection stone or anything. I've enough of seeing any movie or game playing with death like it was nothing. Stay dead, the impact and feels will be stronger. Poor PI Joko, he definitely deserved a whole season more than a dragon, but that how it goes, I'm happy with kralk too. Twist: We fight branded Aurene just like in the trials, could be epic or dramatic, two dragoons against us xD
    ->Pretty hard to see who will help us now, certainly not baddies, asurans should have teleported themselves in the most hidden complex ever known.
    ->More awakened? No reasons, Olmakhans? We killed those innocent peoples. My guess would be charrs homeland, to recruit more cats and leading them to suicide.
    OR second twist: Charrs in charr homeland at the contrary of olmakhans developped advanced mechanics that are almost like asuran technology: A very huge Gunmachine ready to welcome kralk. Steampunk map?

Can't figure what is enough to kill him, mega crystals boomers-speakers only give him a little vertigo... Epic inter-dimensional fight?

+++In creative mood. New Engie Elite spec' , Housing , New asuran expansion , Designing a new lounge , New GameMode
    +++NEW: AEP Asuran Expansion Project available on WIKI.

• Yes

@hugo.4705 said:
    Can't figure what is enough to kill him, mega crystals boomers-speakers only give him a little vertigo... Epic inter-dimensional fight?

Blood and Iron Legions reveal their Siege Gun? That thing would be able to damage Kralkatorrik one crater at a time. Especially if they hit the eyes, which leads to the question: How does Kralkatorriks body even work? Does he have a brain in that crystalline head of his?

Yes

@Castigator.3470 said:

@hugo.4705 said:

Blood and Iron Legions reveal their Siege Gun? That thing would be able to damage Kralkatorrik one crater at a time. Especially if they hit the eyes, which leads to the question: How does Kralkatorriks body even work? Does he have a brain in that crystalline head of his?

Yup, about kralk, I suppose he has a giant magnetite within his head making some electro-magnetic connections between all crystals within his body kinda like a resonance. That's why he got disturbed by crystal shock-waves within the last instance for me. His weakness are the crystal that create his body/blood.

+++In creative mood. New Engie Elite spec' , Housing , New asuran expansion , Designing a new lounge , New GameMode

• derd.6413derd.6413 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

I'd also like to add that it's not a certainty that Blish is dead. He said he'd be shutting off his higher functions, but that's exactly what happened to him in Amnoon. He's effectively in sensory deprivation mode, not dead. With golems being resistant / immune to branding, there's a chance he's still alive.

next episode we go to the mists to save aurene but save blish instead

I Have No friends, so I Must pug

Yes

I hope blish is alive, it's an awesome character, we know that like a regular golem, he can shut down himself. Plus, inquest golem are immune to branding like MN-4C3. We will find his exosqueleton within the mists no doubts on that.

• syszery.1592syszery.1592 Member ✭✭✭
    No

Probably not because Joko and Kralkatorrik also didn't absorb all the magic and so...

• TheQuickFox.3826TheQuickFox.3826 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2019
    Yes

I think the GW2 story would devalue death too much if perished characters can be brought back to life too often. Therefore I think death is permanent here. If you would have asked me, I would not have let her die to begin with, not so soon/young at least.
    But let's see what happens next. I'm all ears.

Maybe she can come back in spirit form or as any other form / rebirth. But not in her own body as it is clearly destroyed beyond healing by the crystal dragon.

Ascalon Will Prevail!

GW Wiki user page | GW2 Wiki user page

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:
    I think the GW2 story would devalue death too much if perished characters can be brought back to life too often. Therefore I think death is permanent here. If you would have asked me, I would not have let her die to begin with, not so soon/young at least.
    But let's see what happens next. I'm all ears.

Maybe she can come back in spirit form or as any other form / rebirth. But not in her own body as it is clearly destroyed beyond healing by the crystal dragon.

I think this is partially due to the pc already pulling the trick once. I think it may have been better in the long run to not do that to begin with but I feel like the ultimate goal of that was to introduce us to joko. And who knows, maybe that moment will tie in with whatever we need to do for Aurene. People complaining about eir and Snaff I think are missing the point that if not for the rifts they wouldn’t be able to come back as they have. They would just be spirits in the mists. The ghost army though with Joko was another case. I think in general they’ve done so much ghost and resurrection this expansion that having one more honesty wouldn’t matter.

• Tora.7214Tora.7214 Member ✭✭
    edited January 26, 2019

@Agrotera.1254 said:
    I didn't read all of the comments so this may have already been said.

Glint sent Aurene to learn about Ascension. Glint sent you to learn how everything started. Glint then tells you that Aurene must do something that is going to be very hard for her. She makes it clear that Aurene needs to be able to count on you to get her through it. I think that what Aurene learned is that to Ascend she has to die. Think about it, what is harder than knowing that you are going to die and doing what needs to be done anyways? That is why she needs you, to give her the strength to do what must be done, knowing that you have her back. I believe that Aurene is going to Ascend and return to help us take Kralk down once and for all.

To add to this. It also would explained why this conversation needed to be private because, be honest, if Glint would have told the commander that Aurene needed to die. Would the commander have allowed Aurene anywhere near the battle or even carry it trough at all? No. Leaving the commander in blank about this point was necesary for the battle to go trough, weaken Kralkatoric, and do what she needed to do. The way she looked at the commander moments before Kralk awakened may have seem like her looking for ensurance to the commander (because of the way we nodded) but it might have just been because Aurene knew that now was the time and that she wanted to look at him/her one last time because she doesnt know in what state she will be once she ascends, if she comes back as a gigantic elder dragon then that very well will mark the end of her travelings with Dragon's Watch

• Yes

@Teratus.2859 said:

It's not entirely how I thought it was going to end, I wasn't actually expecting Aurine to die although I can't see it being permanent since we've already established that Kralkatorrik cannot be destroyed without being replaced.

Aurine is the only being we know of who can achieve this goal

eh...?

What about the Pale Tree? She is on a level like Glint was. Inclusive prophetic abilities and visions. The only difference between Glint and Pale Tree - the Tree did not need the Forgotten, Zephyrites, dwarves and other gullible slaves to work for her. She just makes them. A lot. Every day.

• No

@VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 said:
    The only difference between Glint and Pale Tree - the Tree did not need the Forgotten, Zephyrites, dwarves and other gullible slaves to work for her. She just makes them. A lot. Every day.

To be fair:

1. Someone had to purify the Pale Tree + Malyck's Tree. It sure as heck wasn't Ventari. And Forgotten are a pretty strong candidate for that, given they were doing stuff in the Maguuma.
    2. Glint did make minions too.
  • Yes

Malyck's tree? I can't remember any hint that it might be 'purified'. From what we saw in Maguuma it is save to assume it never was.

Still, now that Aurene is dead, the Pale Tree is the only KNOWN free acting dragon champion we got.

• Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2019
    No

Malyck's tree? I can't remember any hint that it might be 'purified'. From what we saw in Maguuma it is save to assume it never was.

The fact Malyck was a sylvari and not a mordrem (aka wasn't corrupted) is proof, really. Anet even confirmed that Malyck's Tree wasn't a Blighting Tree shortly after HoT, and that we haven't seen it yet, when talking about the lack of Malyck (and his tree) in the expansion.

Plus, there's no event after Ronan got the Pale Tree's seed that would result in it being purified, so it likely happened to the entire cave of seeds.

• Yes

a) never saw the 'confirmation', is there any link?
    b) not-a-mordrem doesn't mean anything. The sylvari form could just be kind of a larval state. A waiting state until M. is ready.
    c) Pale Tree dream, Malyck kitten is the dream? hm, big difference, no?

• Gern.2978Gern.2978 Member ✭✭
    No

It's reasonable to assume that she comes back because she consumed Joko's power. But I think it will be a different, yet to be revealed, secret. Remember, Glint took her aside to "explain the secrets of ascension," and we didn't hear it. Vlast also hinted at some part of the plan that hasn't been revealed to us in the corrupted parts of his messages.

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

@Teratus.2859 said:

It's not entirely how I thought it was going to end, I wasn't actually expecting Aurine to die although I can't see it being permanent since we've already established that Kralkatorrik cannot be destroyed without being replaced.

Aurine is the only being we know of who can achieve this goal

eh...?

What about the Pale Tree? She is on a level like Glint was. Inclusive prophetic abilities and visions. The only difference between Glint and Pale Tree - the Tree did not need the Forgotten, Zephyrites, dwarves and other gullible slaves to work for her. She just makes them. A lot. Every day.

I still suspect the Pale Tree may take on the role one day but not as a replacement to Kralkatorrik.
    She could pick up the remainder of Mordremoths essence and i'm betting that she will eventually when we really start to fixate on the plot to replace all the dragons not just one of them.
    Kralkatorrik was the primary focus atm for multiple reasons, He's the only one largely active since we've not heard a peep out of the Sea Dragon and he's the only one we had an actual replacement for and were in the process of grooming for the role.
    When Mordremoth and Zhiatan fell we didn't know the consequences of killing an Elder Dragon.. hence the mess we're in now with Kralkatorrik being so overwhelmingly powerful.
    We also do not know the requirements of replacing a dragon either, Aurine was our candidate for Kralkatorrik because her mother believed she could do it herself and failed.. it's possible that there must a strong link to each individual Dragon in a being with similar properties or powers.. Glint, Vlast and Aurine being crystal dragons not to mention family ties to Kralkatorrik himself could have made them the only beings on Tyria with the potential to replace Kralkatorrik.
    Likewise The Pale Tree or another of it's kind may be the only beings capable of succeeding Mordremoth and restoring the current power imbalance.
    Kunnavang and Albax may be able to share the load replacing the Sea Dragon as they belong to a species of sea dragons themselves.
    As for the others time will tell but there could be potential for the Great Dwarf as a god like entity to replace Primordus resulting in what remains of the Stone Dwarf race becoming a collective Elder Dragon which would be pretty awesome.

It's unclear why the Pale Tree didn't assume the role upon Mordremoths death.. it could be she didn't want it or she didn't know it was even possible.
    Could also have been Aurines interference as her Egg took a good chunk of his magical energy when he fell.. although while some may say that's evidence of beings connected to different dragons being able to absorb the other spectrums and potentially being able to replace them.. I think it's also important to point out that the only beings on Tyria who have actually displayed traits of fallen Elder Dragons.. are the other Elder Dragons.
    Aurine never displayed any traits from Mordremoth and Zhaitan.. no death or plant magic.. likewise no Necromancy from Joko either, She did seem to get something from Balthazar though which is still something we have yet to find out what.

Maybe when she's back we'll see that connection she made to Caithe come into play when we destroy Kralktorrik.
    Aurine is supposed to replace him and regulate the magic rather than horde it so perhaps her connection to Caithe also connects her to the Pale tree and using that she may be able to channel Mordremoths power to the Pale Tree ascending her as Mordremoths replacement and fixing some of the imbalance.
    Sharing the load so to speak.

• MisterCheshire.4029MisterCheshire.4029 Member ✭✭
    edited February 6, 2019
    No

Doubt it. At least not permanently. She ate Palaway Joko, and Krakatoric did not eat her or her energy after killing her. She also has a bit of Zhaitan in her, which may help the Regen Process. There is even a bit of foreshadowing in the final battle when Braham yells out "Don't you remember when enemies who were dead STAYED dead."

Given the importance of this event, we're going to see the end of Season 4/ the new expansion coming out soon. That would probably explain all of the clothing errors that have been popping up.

If there is another episode, it'll most likely introduce the character to Bubbles (Selbbub?) the sea Dragon who will offer the player the chance to defeat Kralkatoric. Either that or our characters will have to go into the Mists and reclaim Aurine.

Well without Aurene we can’t kill Kralk or Tyria will explode. If he stays alive reality is destroyed.

But this whole thing has gotten out of hand because if reality is destroyed won’t the elder dragons go with it? Won’t they eventually starve or at the very least fight each other for magic? I don’t know. The story has just gotten out of control.

• Kossage.9072Kossage.9072 Member ✭✭✭
    No

To be fair, it's just as likely that any other being than Aurene can replace Kralkatorrik as long as such a being can absorb magic without either disintegrating or going ley-crazed. Aside from the gods, other dragon minions and dragons should be able to devour that much magic without issue. In such a case the Pale Tree, Malyck's Tree and any of the surviving "good" dragons like Shiny, Albax and Kuunavang could be potential candidates to take an Elder Dragon's power. And given the existence of artifacts like the Shadowstone, I would imagine that mere mortal races could also feasibly do so with enough preparation.

Even if Glint's Legacy plan had worked out without a hitch, she and her scions would only have been able to replace three Elder Dragons out of six anyway. Unless Glint intended for the three good dragons to counter the three evil ones in a neverending cycle of yin and yang, she and the Forgotten must've had some beings in mind to take the place of the rest to truly balance the All. Even if Aurene succeeds in her task in the end, the All still requires multiple beings to balance it (at least four from the looks of it), so we'll need to hunt down those other candidates and persuade them to take the dragons' place while making sure these replacements won't go power-hungry after they're exposed to that much delicious magic.

It makes me wonder if Glint was in contact with other ancient and wise dragons like Albax and Kuunavang, but surely she must've been aware of the existence of Shiny, who would be about Vlast's age, in northeastern Vabbi. It has been curious that the plot has yet to touch Shiny despite him being easily reachable and being potentially good after he was raised by Goren's descendants and djinn in the Hidden City of Ahdashim. Goren was referenced a few times in PoF via an ascended trinket and ambient dialogue, so his contributions in Nightfall are still remembered, and that should also be the case for Shiny. Of course it's possible that Shiny has become pampered after being taken care of for over two hundred years (his first uttered words were "Feed me, Goren!" and "Goren is my mommy!", after all, and it's curious that a saltspray like him could communicate with words immediately after hatching whereas crystal dragons like Aurene need help with speaking in Common likely because of their telepathic abilities), so it might take some effort on our part to steer him to become a responsible adult if so. :)

• vier.1327vier.1327 Member ✭✭
    Yes

Yes, she is dead.

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭
    No

She will return, shrug off whatever remaining crystal dust coats her scales, and declare "All or Nothing was merely a setback"

• Aaron Ansari.1604Aaron Ansari.1604 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Kossage.9072 said:

Even if Glint's Legacy plan had worked out without a hitch, she and her scions would only have been able to replace three Elder Dragons out of six anyway. Unless Glint intended for the three good dragons to counter the three evil ones in a neverending cycle of yin and yang, she and the Forgotten must've had some beings in mind to take the place of the rest to truly balance the All. Even if Aurene succeeds in her task in the end, the All still requires multiple beings to balance it (at least four from the looks of it), so we'll need to hunt down those other candidates and persuade them to take the dragons' place while making sure these replacements won't go power-hungry after they're exposed to that much delicious magic.

To be honest... that, plus the fact that they never shared their plan with useful figures among the modern races even though it's been clearly detrimental to their cause, plus the fact that the gods knew about it but still walked out... it all has me half convinced that the Legacy was never meant to be (fully) implemented in this cycle. Their cabal didn't have enough pieces in place for it to work now, and it'd neatly explain why they kept potential allies in the dark and why the Six didn't back it if they knew all along that it couldn't save us.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

• No

b) not-a-mordrem doesn't mean anything. The sylvari form could just be kind of a larval state. A waiting state until M. is ready.

1) I'd have to dig a lot through reddit, unfortunately. But iirc, it was Bobby Stein who confirmed it.
    2) Except that sylvari don't come out of Blighting Trees, Mordrem do. In addition, Mordrem Guard are never corrupted, technically; we have confirmation as of Festival of the Four Winds that the Mordrem Guard can - and some have - reverted to their original looks and personality (albeit changed from the experience of succumbing to Mordremoth).
    3) Not sure what you're saying, but Malyck has no connection to the Dream of Dreams, yet otherwise functions like other sylvari (just different moral code really - which is pure nurture not nature).

@cptaylor.2670 said:
    Well without Aurene we can’t kill Kralk or Tyria will explode. If he stays alive reality is destroyed.

But this whole thing has gotten out of hand because if reality is destroyed won’t the elder dragons go with it? Won’t they eventually starve or at the very least fight each other for magic? I don’t know. The story has just gotten out of control.

My understanding, given Kralkatorrik's wants as shown in Edge of Destiny, would be that he'd just end up consuming until all that's left is himself he'd create a world in his image.

1) I'd have to dig a lot through reddit, unfortunately. But iirc, it was Bobby Stein who confirmed it.
    2) Except that sylvari don't come out of Blighting Trees, Mordrem do. In addition, Mordrem Guard are never corrupted, technically; we have confirmation as of Festival of the Four Winds that the Mordrem Guard can - and some have - reverted to their original looks and personality (albeit changed from the experience of succumbing to Mordremoth).
    3) Not sure what you're saying, but Malyck has no connection to the Dream of Dreams, yet otherwise functions like other sylvari (just different moral code really - which is pure nurture not nature).

@cptaylor.2670 said:

My understanding, given Kralkatorrik's wants as shown in Edge of Destiny, would be that he'd just end up consuming until all that's left is himself he'd create a world in his image.

So ultimately, it’s in everyone’s favor to kill Kralk then. Even the other dragons? But we can’t let them access the capabilities that he has anyway. Seems odd the stakes are so high and we only have a few parties interested in the fight against him. Jenna couldn’t at least spare a few watchknights or something?

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hnewman/2019/02/08/developers-explain-why-a-major-character-had-to-die-in-guild-wars-2/#4a412a82a1f2

Whilst i disagree with so much of their thought process behind how they crafted this arc, this feels like a nod towards trying to say shes gone without outright saying it and that its the effects of her death not her resurrection which is next to come.

Could be a misinterpretation, but im now going with her staying dead

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

edited February 8, 2019
    Yes

That interview for me is simply saying: she's dead. peeps like to think she's alive but she's not. But maybe something interesting with Caithe, it's confirmed to be branding so corruption.

• No

@cptaylor.2670 said:
    So ultimately, it’s in everyone’s favor to kill Kralk then. Even the other dragons? But we can’t let them access the capabilities that he has anyway. Seems odd the stakes are so high and we only have a few parties interested in the fight against him. Jenna couldn’t at least spare a few watchknights or something?

Well, keep in mind that a lot of people tend to be unable to think outside their direct, personal issues and problems to deal with.

@hugo.4705 said:
    That interview for me is simply saying: she's dead. peeps like to think she's alive but she's not. But maybe something interesting with Caithe, it's confirmed to be branding so corruption.

The interview didn’t confirm anything. And we know it was branding that aurene did to Caithe. But it wasn’t corruption as said in the story itself because Caithe accepted it willingly.

@Randulf.7614 said:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/hnewman/2019/02/08/developers-explain-why-a-major-character-had-to-die-in-guild-wars-2/#4a412a82a1f2

Whilst i disagree with so much of their thought process behind how they crafted this arc, this feels like a nod towards trying to say shes gone without outright saying it and that its the effects of her death not her resurrection which is next to come.

Could be a misinterpretation, but im now going with her staying dead

It’s pretty ambiguous even after the interview. I can see how you would reach that conclusion but if they did go that direction I would hate to think of what they have planned to fix this otherwise.

Because at this point it’s either misdirection or it will wind up in a total kitten pull.

• No

@cptaylor.2670 said:

@hugo.4705 said:

The interview didn’t confirm anything. And we know it was branding that aurene did to Caithe. But it wasn’t corruption as said in the story itself because Caithe accepted it willingly.

GuildChat actually called it branding. For all intents and purposes, it was the same as corruption, except there was no mental enslavement. Just like whatever the Pale Tree did to make sylvari, or Glint to make facets.

TBH, not a big shocker of an action.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.