[Spoilers] About Aurene

Alimar.8760

Ok guys, please don't click on the spoiler unless you want major spoilers but these are my thoughts.

1. Aurene ate Palawa Joko

1. Palawa Joko is a lich.
  2. Joko can come back from the dead.
  3. Aurene can now come back from the dead.
  4. Please?
  5. Please tell me I'm right...
  6. cries

Tell me you felt the same way. Also props to the new tech that introduced camera control and the custom animations for the last scene. Definitely adds a lot more to the game that I didn't know I wanted.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the only explanation I've heard which makes sense to me.

Unless the extreme end of the rumour mill is actually right and this is the beginning of the end for the game: the reason there isn't an expansion after Season 4 is they're ending the story ready for a new game. Which is either going to be some kind of post-apocalyptic future thing or set thousands of years in the future when Tyria is starting to recover (post-post apocalyptic?) or in the past. All of which seems massively unlikely to me, more for real-world reasons than in-game ones; Guild Wars is Anet's only franchise and with GW1 basically abandoned GW2 is their only game. Abandoning an MMO for a new game, especially another MMO, is a hugely risky and expensive prospect, not typically one you go for unless you have no other options, especially if you don't have any other products to fall back on. They do have NCSoft as a 'safety net' (to provide funding while they're not making anything to cover their costs - and then get it back later from the profits) but even so I can't believe they'd do that now.

But lore-wise? Either you're right or we're all doomed.

@"Danikat.8537" said:But lore-wise? Either you're right or we're all doomed.One could say, it's "All or Nothing" Lol.But to add salt to that... they redid their main website recently, if you haven't noticed. As if hinting at a new addition at the top. See for yourself: https://www.arena.net/en/gamesAlso, BTW, they're independent from NCSOFT since HOT released. They do have to keep the logo for anything prior to HOT, though. So you'll still see it in certain areas.

@"Alimar.8760" said:Ok guys, please don't click on the spoiler unless you want major spoilers but these are my thoughts.

4. Please?
  6. cries

Tell me you felt the same way. Also props to the new tech that introduced camera control and the custom animations for the last scene. Definitely adds a lot more to the game that I didn't know I wanted.

Too easy... Caithe is inside of her, also too easy. They write too good story now, won't expect it to be so bright and clear.

@Tashigi.3159 said:

@"Danikat.8537" said:But lore-wise? Either you're right or we're all doomed.One could say, it's "All or Nothing" Lol.But to add salt to that... they redid their main website recently, if you haven't noticed. As if hinting at a new addition at the top. See for yourself:
Also, BTW, they're independent from NCSOFT since HOT released. They do have to keep the logo for anything prior to HOT, though. So you'll still see it in certain areas.

1) Indeed you could say that. ;)

It's times like this I'm reminded of one of Arthur Dent's favourite, or at least most common, sayings: "This is it, we're all going to die".

2) According to that same website they're not independent. The legal bit at the bottom says "Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation." My understanding is Anet are still a wholly owned subsidiary of NCSoft - meaning NCSoft owns the company and gets a cut of their profits (they were certainly giving them money as recently as the last financial quarter) but they self-publish their games and they're allowed to operate largely independently - they don't have someone from NCSoft telling them when they need to release an expansion or what kind of microtransaction items to add or whatever else.

@"Alimar.8760" said:Ok guys, please don't click on the spoiler unless you want major spoilers but these are my thoughts.

4. Please?
  6. cries

You missed a couple of points:

• Kralk was tearing up the Domain of the Lost before the fight.
  • Aurene died traumatically, with unfinished business, so it's likely she'll go there.
  • We escaped/returned from there before, so she knows it can be done.
  • Balthazar was able to leave there as well, once Joko showed him how to get there.
  • It's clearly stated that Balthazar's power is present in Aurene.
  • Glint had something to tell Aurene about Ascension.

It's quite possible that Aurene knew she would die, but that it was also the next step in ascending. Clearly she wasn't ready to absorb all of Kralk's magic during the fight, we saw her pushed to her limits in Glint's lair already with far less magic than what Kralk's death would have released, so Glint must have had something more planned. She has the power to escape from the Domain of the Lost, even if Kralk hadn't torn the place apart already.

@Danikat.8537 said:That's the only explanation I've heard which makes sense to me.

Unless the extreme end of the rumour mill is actually right and this is the beginning of the end for the game: the reason there isn't an expansion after Season 4 is they're ending the story ready for a new game. Which is either going to be some kind of post-apocalyptic future thing or set thousands of years in the future when Tyria is starting to recover (post-post apocalyptic?) or in the past. All of which seems massively unlikely to me, more for real-world reasons than in-game ones; Guild Wars is Anet's only franchise and with GW1 basically abandoned GW2 is their only game. Abandoning an MMO for a new game, especially another MMO, is a hugely risky and expensive prospect, not typically one you go for unless you have no other options, especially if you don't have any other products to fall back on. They do have NCSoft as a 'safety net' (to provide funding while they're not making anything to cover their costs - and then get it back later from the profits) but even so I can't believe they'd do that now.

But lore-wise? Either you're right or we're all doomed.

Your comment had me intrigued but I haven't been able to find anything on these rumours. Could you point me in the right direction?

As a thought, we( speaking collectively as our role as the Commander) died and came back after traveling to the land of the lost(?) so that might be something similar might be store for Aurene with our help. There is also a rather glaring question of why did Kralk turn away and leave after for all effective purposes he won, why didn't he just finish everything then and there. I think there is a definite twist there .

@Danikat.8537 said:They do have NCSoft as a 'safety net' (to provide funding while they're not making anything to cover their costs - and then get it back later from the profits) but even so I can't believe they'd do that now.

I know the company is run differently now than ten years ago, but historically they have been anything but. Then again, GW2 has had decent year-on-year growth financially, I believe, so we're probably okay.

Anyway, there was a line in the last battle about Zhaitan's energy being detected... that's a name we've not heard for a while. Dragons can explicitly use other dragons' magic (somehow) and Aurene is both a dragon (so can presumably do this) and has eaten Joko. There has been so much foreshadowing of a journey into the mists with Eir's return, the commander going there and (probably) Taimi's ailing health that I would be really surprised if we didn't end up going for a jolly in the land of the dead in the next expansion.

@Gulbasaur.1865 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:They do have NCSoft as a 'safety net' (to provide funding while they're not making anything to cover their costs - and then get it back later from the profits) but even so I can't believe they'd do that now.

I know the company is run differently now than ten years ago, but historically they have been anything but. Then again, GW2 has had decent year-on-year growth financially, I believe, so we're probably okay.

Anyway
, there was a line in the last battle about Zhaitan's energy being detected... that's a name we've not heard for a while. Dragons can explicitly use other dragons' magic (somehow) and Aurene is both a dragon (so can presumably do this) and has eaten Joko. There has been
so much
foreshadowing of a journey into the mists with Eir's return, the commander going there and (probably) Taimi's ailing health that I would be really surprised if we didn't end up going for a jolly in the land of the dead in the next expansion.

They outrightly dismissed us ever going to the Mists for anything beyond story instances. They wouldn't have done that if there was a chance since Anet prefer to keep silent where possibilities lie. To their credit, they put that option to bed.

I would expect an instanced fight in the Mists though next

There's much to guess and speculate now.I have to say the story has been spectacular and breath-taking. I feel more connected to Tyria now than ever before and I want to punch Kralkatorrik so hard now!

Anyway...that being said...cough coughWe know that Aurene ate Palawa Joko. We also know that Glint had some private talk with her. It's very possible that Aurene is not permanently dead.

1. She could get Palawa Joko's ability to come back
  2. She could earn something from the mists, maybe the energies she absorbed, anything? Glint's secret?
  3. As mentioned before, it is possible she goes through the same process as the Commander. Traumatic death + unfinished business = being brought back to life to finish the job.
  4. Aurene is permanently dead and we have to think of how to deal with this on our own. It could be a darker and scarier world now, where Kralka goes on rampage and we fall into despair after all the recent events, losing on a lot and hardly getting a grip of the situation. After all...we, as commanders, lost a lot and I feel that Aurene's death could be that final nail in the coffin, where things go a bit out of control before rising again.

Anyway, great job, it leaves so many of us speculating now!I personally hope Aurene comes back, but maybe not instantly, as it leaves room to some of the darker story unfolding.

Hope new expansion gets announced soon where we end Kralkatorrik once and for all!I have to say...he was damn creepy in that story, especially when he retreats all beaten and in mess, but looking like some nasty evil snake, brr!

Anet has a chance.. well they've already started working on the next lot so the choice has been made, but for us.. it's either ..

! A comes back .. and somehow fight on... or A doesn't... and the chaos... hits us like a truck... I kinda want the latter... for them to be brave enough to go down that route.! After all the land of the lost has been basically hit had as well so even in death.. its not save

I highly doubt they're going to kill off Aurene, since we've been caring for that damn dragon since it's birth (didn't realize how much I liked Aurene till now, honestly please bring her back) HOWEVER I've gotten so much respect for the story department since PoF, so I know they won't disappoint no matter where we end up going.Only thing I didn't enjoy about this patch was that silly effect when Kralk calls upon Zhaitan, Mordremoth and Balthazar, and there's literally a figure of Balthazar above his head. Would've been way better with just the 3 colors, I thought it kinda ruined the immersion.

@Elephant.9457 said:I highly doubt they're going to kill off Aurene, since we've been caring for that kitten dragon since it's birth (didn't realize how much I liked Aurene till now, honestly please bring her back) HOWEVER I've gotten so much respect for the story department since PoF, so I know they won't disappoint no matter where we end up going.Only thing I didn't enjoy about this patch was that silly effect when Kralk calls upon Zhaitan, Mordremoth and Balthazar, and there's literally a figure of Balthazar above his head. Would've been way better with just the 3 colors, I thought it kinda ruined the immersion.

Didn't even notice that. Only thing that tipped me off to that was the dialogue and minions having different names.Clearer animations would have been great...

Edit: Although to be fair, I was so focused on completing the story within 15 mins. Unfortunately didn't in the first run, probably should switch to a full zerk build for the second time.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's a great story telling idea because it's "Too Easy." I was pointing out a potential plot but I would agree that if it were to happen, it would cheapen the story and characters as a whole. Too much dying and coming back creates less impact over time.

I wouldn't even be surprised, like I said after episode 3:

@"Tails.9372" said:Dragons gain abilities based on the magic they consume. Aurene is basically a dragon lich at this point, as of right now she should be capable of doing everything Joko could do

Now some people obviously wouldn't like that to happen but not doing it would be even more BS at this point and no one can say that this would come "out of nowhere" either.

@Tashigi.3159 said:

@"Danikat.8537" said:But lore-wise? Either you're right or we're all doomed.One could say, it's "All or Nothing" Lol.But to add salt to that... they redid their main website recently, if you haven't noticed. As if hinting at a new addition at the top. See for yourself:
Also, BTW, they're independent from NCSOFT since HOT released. They do have to keep the logo for anything prior to HOT, though. So you'll still see it in certain areas.

They are still owned by NCSoft, they are still a NCsoft company, so they can be independant in their creations, management as a subsidiary, but if NCSoft decide to take any action on ANET, they can. And right now, I think they just shoot their own foot with the way it ended. I mean, if they wanted to end it to create something, I'd accept if we all died, ME as the commander in the story, braham, catie, taimi, aurene, but the way they ended it, it killed the game for me. It would be more awesome if we all died.

Archived