Do Anet plan on giving every prof mesmer like portals?

Hulkmaster.1724

While it could be possible to make this work, (rangers use their pets to dig tunnels, engie use some kind of rockets) this would take away the unique feature from the Mesmer. If we are allowing every professions to do to everything, then that defeats the purpose of having professions. The whole point of having professions is to give us opportunities, to make us make choices. The fact that if we choose something like the ranger that has pets, we are giving up the use of portals with mesmers. This means our choices have some meaning, like there is a trade off. I know that we can simply create another character and therefore aren't actually missing anything. However, it's the feeling that we have to choose things at certain times. So if we have something, we can't have something else.

Imagine a warrior that can shadow step, use pets and illusions. I am sure it may sound great but I feel like it would take away something. It would just become too easy and convenient.

i think you hyperbolize it

proffesions are about unique mechanics and gameplay

mesmer portals are about helping players to move around enviroment

• there already are these portlas (clockwerk ones) but its unfair, that mesmers have their on lvl 10, and others must try and farm\grind nightmare fractals

i still dont have one

thus i suggest giving them to every prof, or like easy-to-earn item

@Hulkmaster.1724 said:GW2 is a great game, where everything is made towrads players help players

and i think giving mesmer-like portals to every job is a great idea

i want to play my favorite class, without being forced to log out and switch to mesmer, to help my friendsIt's not only that.Mesmers have huge advantages during jumping puzzles. I'd give at least a special portal skill during puzzles to every class.

A skill that helps to move around can have so many different purposes, and therefore repercussions.The Mesmer portal can be used for:

• Convenience of travels - silver waste chest farm
  • Jumping puzzles - using portals as checkpoints, or helping other players
  • WvW - Taking large groups into keeps by bypassing having to break down a wall/gate (not sure if it is still done as I haven't been in WvW in a long time)
  • PvP - Capturing points faster, escaping an ambush
  • Dungeons/fractals - Helping groups bypass enemies

I am sure there are many other ways to use portals. If portals could only be used for the first two points, I would not object to every professions having a similar skill. But considering this has other PvP and PvE repercussions, I just don't think it would be reasonable. Guardians/necros/engie being all of the place in PvP in a short time would be scary (for me anyway).

An easy item sounds a bit more feasible as this could be blocked from PvP.

How about instead we gut Mesmer's portal to be like Scorge's portal so that Mesmers can elect to take other things in PvP instead. While we are at it, why don't we rip Alacrity from the game and replace it with something else since it basically broke the game and has been a huge headache for the Devs since it was introduced.

Considering I just made a whole post about the Mesmer's lost of identity in Guild Wars 2, I find I am therefore required (there's that word again) to say that homogeneity is never good. Keeping Mesmer portals exclusive to the profession is paramount to keeping the soul and identity of the profession intact. So far, there are three items in game that I know of that creates portals, which are the Experimental Teleportal Gun, the Watchwork Portal Device, and the White Mantle Portal Device. Each of these items allow non-Mesmers to create portals, but ArenaNet was wise to limit the usefulness of each.

yes they should, because the elite specs are by design intended to make every profession work the same if dinked with in the right way. So why not just make all the class's the same, and cover the same way with their own "Flair" on it. Messmers junk is purple and everyone elses is different colors, you can distinguish them and it removes any uniqueness from the game.

Then no one is special. They did it with races, I see class's as the next logical approach to removing uniqueness and making us all the same just with our own little effects...

I think giving portal to every profession would be a bad idea. It would break balance in pvp, wvw and even fotm, raid and dungeon speed clear runs. Dungeons are dead meme whatever but every game mode that tries something competitive had a reason to not want portal on every class.

I have zero sympathy for mesmer identity complaints. It comes across as "only I can be helpful to noobs in jp (and get tips)" which at its core is actually selfish. My mesmer, who can cs mimic portals through walls in raids etc didn't shed a tear when my scourge used a pathetic line of sight communal burrow at ghosts. When I'm doing open world stuff and I use a 10min cd to xera portal a rando at a mastery point, my chrono doesn't change from purple butterflies to a shade of green. Nothing about about my mesmers play style changed.

Tldr: How to reconcile the above: Mounts are disabled in pvp, wvw, raids etc. Give the jackal a new tier of mastery in the living story that gives it a sand portal on skill 2. Give it a 3 min cd and all that comes with mount restrictions.

@Kidel.2057 said:

@Hulkmaster.1724 said:GW2 is a great game, where everything is made towrads players help players

and i think giving mesmer-like portals to every job is a great idea

i want to play my favorite class, without being forced to log out and switch to mesmer, to help my friendsIt's not only that.Mesmers have huge advantages during jumping puzzles. I'd give at least a special portal skill during puzzles to every class.

I find that a necromancer with spectral walk is way more effective in jumping puzzle than a mesmer. Mesmers portals merely allows a lot of player to skip a lot of effort, it's somehow a pain to use portal each time you are unsure if you'll make it. On another hand spectral walk is a bit more selfish but have a really short cool down that allow one a great uptime.

Now, would it be great if all profession had such skills? Well maybe, however, there are profession for which it doesn't fit thematically (like warriors).

• Mesmers have their portal
  • Necromancers have spectral walk and sand swell
  • Thieves thematically work but I'm unsure if shadow trap allow it to work like the other 2
  • Engineer could create teleportation device as a skill (there are In game object that were doing just that after all)
  • Guardian and elementalist have both skills that allow them to teleport themself, so a portal like skill shouldn't be an issue thematically.
  • Revenant are all about rifts... I can't see a better profession to become a king of portals.

That leave rangers and warriors... Rangers have a "pathfinder" vibe that could be developped, allowing it to gain a portal like ability but warriors are a no.

@Weerus.3701 said:You can buy white mantle portal device and have it in shared inventory, voila! Don't excuse your laziness, there is a way for quite some time now..

Have one, cooldown is atrocious. It should be 3 minutes max and the watchwork portal should have a permenant version made.

Archived