Suddenly I'm forced to change my characters' names?!

Not even an hour ago, I logged out of a character because it was stuck in combat.When I tried to log back in to watch a vista - which really should be accesible in combat since they are flooded with enemies nowadays - I'm forced to change the name.

I have 7 characters with Peyote as a surname, not a single of those characters is accesible anymore, including my most played ones.Peyote is the name of a cactus, a PLANT that is native to Mexico and former Mexican territory.There is nothing offensive with a CACTUS other than it's needles might hurt people who don't know how to handle a cactus.

I've had those characters for years, so why the sudden forced change?

I did a quick check on urbandictionary, and almost all references there are to the drug, not the plant. While I would never have recognized it as a drug reference that's probably why you have to change. Or, it might be that support overthrows it - you never know.

Poppy, on the other hand, is more known for other things - urbandictionary has it as a Beautiful girl, mostly.

@"Fueki.4753" said:I already wrote a ticketFor now, ignore anything that any of your fellow players opine here. We can offer opinions, sometimes very educated guesses, about what should or might happen. But we don't know.

If you get a negative response, consider appealing it. The initial response will be from the first tier team and they are probably not authorized to reconsider (except if it was an obvious mistake). The people reviewing the appeal will have more discretion.

(I am deliberately avoiding adding my own opinion or "best guess" about what I think likely to happen.)

@"Fueki.4753" said:There is nothing offensive with a CACTUS other than it's needles might hurt people who don't know how to handle a cactus.

From wikipedia: Lophophora williamsii or peyote is a small, spineless cactus with psychoactive alkaloidsPeyote_Cactus.jpg

At least make sure to get a nickname you know the meaning of/know what it looks like

@Deepcuts.9740 said:

@"Fueki.4753" said:There is nothing offensive with a CACTUS other than it's needles might hurt people who don't know how to handle a cactus.

From wikipedia: Lophophora williamsii or peyote is a small,
spineless cactus
with psychoactive alkaloids
Peyote_Cactus.jpg

At least make sure to get a nickname you know the meaning of/know what it looks like

In that comment I meant to comment on cacti (cactusses?) in general.I didn't consider Peyote to have no needles in that statement,but Peyote still have other white'ish stubs those same people would get hurt on.

It still doesn't change anything about Peyote suddenly (around 2'ish in the morning in the U.S.A., I'm not too sure about the time differences) being banned, when the "bad" substance's name is Mescaline.

@"Fueki.4753" said:Put if Peyote is seen as offensive, the next thing to be banned will be Poppy (the papaver plant) because it also contains drugs.

In that case, I demand that U.S. actresses with the silly first name of "Poppy" get a name change as well. :p "Silly", because it sounds extremely amusing to German ears due to a very similar expression with a very different meaning. ;)

@Fueki.4753 said:I already wrote a ticketPut if Peyote is seen as offensive, the next thing to be banned will be Poppy (the papaver plant) because it also contains drugs.

Poppy is different because only one species of the flower can be used to make drugs and poppy is also a relatively common name in general. It would be more accurate to compare the peyote to marijuana.

@Mewcifer.5198 said:

@"Fueki.4753" said:I already wrote a ticketPut if Peyote is seen as offensive, the next thing to be banned will be Poppy (the papaver plant) because it also contains drugs.

Poppy is different because only one species of the flower can be used to make drugs and poppy is also a relatively common name in general. It would be more accurate to compare the peyote to marijuana.

More to the point, perhaps, poppies in general are (because of the imagery from the "Great War" of 1914-1918) a strong symbol of remembrance in the context of war memorials, and it would be very inappropriate to ban that as a name because "drugs reference". I mean, sure, if you call your character "Opium Poppy"(1) or something silly like that, you more or less deserve whatever happens, but "Poppy" as a character name will be OK because (a) Personal name, and (b) Remembrance symbology.

(1) Even if you disguise it as Papaver Somniferum...

@"Fueki.4753" said:It's been four days without a response now.

It almost certainly takes more time to appeal this sort of thing than replacing missing items or addressing a bug, because it requires a discussion on their part. If they agree with you in principle, they have to then figure out a way to make sure they can put that agreement into practice. In other words, I doubt it's the sort of thing that gets a quick response.

(That said, I do wish that they had a better way of letting us know. For example, if my theory is correct about why this is taking longer than usual, then why not write to us, "your appeal is under consideration; please be patient as this will take us many days to decide.")

Archived