Rank all the classes for most OP WvW 1 vs 1 impromptu fights beginning 2019 (External Poll)

EremiteAngel.9765

Thanks everyone for the passionate responses in the other thread for most OP class in WvW roaming, all things considered.The earlier poll is reaching 100 votes and I thought it would be fun to have a new one for most OP class in 1 vs 1 impromptu fights when roaming and see if it differs from the other poll.

I understand among classes there are a multitude of builds that perform better or worse in different matchups which would make this hard to rank.

I suggest we could perhaps base it on our own experience/knowledge on the most recent commonly used builds across all the classes.And based on these commonly used builds, which are the classes who are best able to handle the varied matchups across all classes/builds.Classes that either have an overwhelming advantage in various matchups or the least hard-counters/soft-counters match-up when engaging in these varied 1 vs 1 impromptu fights.Similar skill levels considered.

Impromptu fights meaning it is not an arranged duel where they bow and change builds and try to counter each other.Impromptu meaning they roam with their usual roaming builds and meet each other while roaming and engage in a fight spontaneously.

Of course, if you have your own thoughts on how it should be evaluated, please feel free to rank as you wish.

Poll link here:http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/ysxpyk/most-op-wvw-1-vs-1-class-starting-2019

Poll results here:http://www.polljunkie.com/poll/wxwdxs/most-op-wvw-1-vs-1-class-starting-2019/view

These are the poll results for Most OP roaming class (all aspects of roaming considered) after a total of 102 votes.Will be fun when we compare this ranking with their actual 1 vs 1 impromptu combat strength poll results (currently at 36 votes) =D

Most OP Roaming Class (all aspects of roaming considered) (102 votes)1.7 Mesmer2.8 Ranger3.0 Thief4.8 Engineer5.0 Warrior5.7 Revenant6.7 Guardian6.9 Elementalist8.3 Necro

Most OP 1 vs 1 Impromptu combat strength (36 votes)2.4 Mesmer2.7 Ranger3.2 Engineer4.2 Thief5.5 Revenant5.5 Elementalist5.8 Warrior7.2 Guardian8.4 Necro

Necro is 8.3 and not a flat 9 only because it defaults on top of the list and people can't be bothered to sort the irrelevant bottom four.

;>.>

edit- The result of these polls is an almost perfect representation of reverse utility in zergs, apart from the mesmer of course.

Most OP 1 vs 1 combat strength rankings as we pass the 50 votes mark.

Personally I'm surprised engineer isn't first ranked because holosmith seems to have no hard or even soft counters currently. They also hard counters most thieves and soft counters some Mirage builds.

Though the top 3 are very close in scores.

2.5Mesmer2.6Ranger3.1Engineer4.4Thief5.4Revenant5.7Warrior6.0Elementalist7.2Guardian8.2Necro

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:So revs,guards and warrior are below thief in 1v1? Seems right lol

thats because of 2 reasons:1)the poll here is for spontaneous fights, not duels.

rev, guard, warrior are better when fighting with limited time and limited space. but when you remove those limits a thief will become much stronger.2) keep in mind the poll does not seperate between various builds a PROFESSION can have, wich includes all variants of core and especs. a pretty wide array if you ask me.

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:Most OP 1 vs 1 combat strength rankings as we pass the 50 votes mark.

Personally I'm surprised engineer isn't first ranked because holosmith seems to have no hard or even soft counters currently. They also hard counters most thieves and soft counters some Mirage builds.

2.5Mesmer2.6Ranger3.1Engineer4.4Thief5.4Revenant5.7Warrior6.0Elementalist7.2Guardian8.2Necro

I am glad to see Revenant ended up where it did. You don't see it quite as often as many of the others, but it is deserving of a higher placement. It has all the necessary tools of a good roamer and if played well, is on the winning side of many matches.

By no means do I consider myself a good Revenant (or player in general), but I have been playing it exclusively for a few months now and feel substantially more confident solo than I did with anything else I've played. Even Ranger and Engineer despite their higher placement on the list. With so much in combat mobility, damage and defense negation, the only thing I really fear are condition tanks. And even those can be disposed of pretty quickly with the exception of Mesmers.

If Rev had better cleanse and was easier to 1vX with, I'd go so far as to say it should be placed one higher. But because it has some severe weaknesses, I think it's fair where it is. The rest of the list actually looks quite good too. I'm surprised to see how accurate the community poll has been, honestly.

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:Most OP 1 vs 1 combat strength rankings as we pass the 50 votes mark.

I am surprised mesmer isn't higher, there's some condi mirage builds that are really stupid 1v1 and AFAIK has no bad matchup (power ones have some bad matchups otherwise pretty close in power level) , imo thief should move up one, also surprised thief isn't one higher as it just completely destroys the classes it's good against.

Engi imo is the most overrated class for 1v1s, it's def good, it's just that basically every class can reasonably kill one (even if they might be slightly unfavored). It's also rather rare to see in WvW

@lodjur.1284 said:I am surprised mesmer isn't higher, there's some condi mirage builds that are really stupid 1v1 and AFAIK has no bad matchup (power ones have some bad matchups otherwise pretty close in power level) , imo thief should move up one, also surprised thief isn't one higher as it just completely destroys the classes it's good against.

Engi imo is the most overrated class for 1v1s, it's def good, it's just that basically every class can reasonably kill one (even if they might be slightly unfavored). It's also rather rare to see in WvW

I agree about Engineer. I feel it's placed one too high, probably because of the handful of players that use the Boon bruiser build that often require a small zerg for it to be killed. It's durable but it's quite easy to kite them to death if you play well. It has a low cooldown leap in Photon Forge but it hardly counts as mobility due to it's extremely short range. The ones that take Rocket Boots are giving up some far better utilities in exchange for mobility which will be a huge handicap in 1v1's. So either it has mobility and is good at running away or it has low mobility and is good in sustained fights.

It is absolutely strong and a powerful 1v1'er but the strongest build is has lacks a lot of what's needed to survive as a roamer. So I think 4 is a much more accurate place for it with Thief replacing it at 3.

I’m sry I don’t mean to insult anyone as I definitely am not a great player by any means but if u guys are discussing 1v1 in general thief is not nearly in as good a spot as u guys are making it out to be,DE back stab cheese aside. It’s known to be a good Roamer because it’s mobility and through that mobility can +1 the most efficiently next to mirage. Most of the top players who kno the classes in and out even avoid most 1v1 in comps with thief cuz yeah it time can be utilized better doing other thing but also cuz it’s not worth the risk. I donno all I’ve heard over last couple years is how it’s a +1 class and crap at 1v1 so has somthing changed?seems like core and DD get constant nurfs and other classes etc like holo,soulbeast and mirage get power crept higher and higher yet its better 1v1 than holo haha yeah in what universe? DE is a effective 1v1 using a perma stealth gimmick back stab build. it has to utilize a cheese mechanic tho what else is it gonna do? U cough on it and it dies lol. I donno sry for the rant just seems funny hearing people going on about thief as a great 1v1

@"Psycoprophet.8107" said:I’m sry I don’t mean to insult anyone as I definitely am not a great player by any means but if u guys are discussing 1v1 in general thief is not nearly in as good a spot as u guys are making it out to be,DE back stab cheese aside. It’s known to be a good Roamer because it’s mobility and through that mobility can +1 the most efficiently next to mirage. Most of the top players who kno the classes in and out even avoid most 1v1 in comps with thief cuz yeah it time can be utilized better doing other thing but also cuz it’s not worth the risk. I donno all I’ve heard over last couple years is how it’s a +1 class and kitten at 1v1 so has somthing changed?seems like core and DD get constant nurfs and other classes etc like holo,soulbeast and mirage get power crept higher and higher yet its better 1v1 than holo haha yeah in what universe? DE is a effective 1v1 using a perma stealth gimmick back stab build. it has to utilize a cheese mechanic tho what else is it gonna do? U cough on it and it dies lol. I donno sry for the rant just seems funny hearing people going on about thief as a great 1v1Yeah and most will use that cheese build just like many mesmers do in order to get "safe" 1v1 fights against people that dont know how to fight them. You can get triggered all you want, it doesnt change the fact that the thief is just as powercreeped as the rest.

@"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:

@"EremiteAngel.9765" said:Most OP 1 vs 1 combat strength rankings as we pass the 50 votes mark.

I am glad to see Revenant ended up where it did. You don't see it quite as often as many of the others, but it is deserving of a higher placement. It has all the necessary tools of a good roamer and if played well, is on the winning side of many matches.

By no means do I consider myself a good Revenant (or player in general), but I have been playing it exclusively for a few months now and feel substantially more confident solo than I did with anything else I've played. Even Ranger and Engineer despite their higher placement on the list. With so much in combat mobility, damage and defense negation, the only thing I really fear are condition tanks. And even those can be disposed of pretty quickly with the exception of Mesmers.

If Rev had better cleanse and was easier to 1vX with, I'd go so far as to say it should be placed one higher. But because it has some severe weaknesses, I think it's fair where it is. The rest of the list actually looks quite good too. I'm surprised to see how accurate the community poll has been, honestly.

"Severe" weakness? Yeah, true they have like staff #4 as a Condi clear but when you're running around with 15-20 might stacks in no time at all and can engage people just as well as a thief can to nuke people then yeah, they kinda need to be weak vs condis

@"EremiteAngel.9765" said:Most OP 1 vs 1 combat strength rankings as we pass the 50 votes mark.

"Severe" weakness? Yeah, true they have like staff #4 as a Condi clear but when you're running around with 15-20 might stacks in no time at all and can engage people just as well as a thief can to nuke people then yeah, they kinda need to be weak vs condis

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

Conditions are one of those weaknesses, yes. The other is sustained fights. Revenant has a lot of trouble in fights that drag on despite having low cooldowns on many of their skills. It is substantially more difficult to win outnumbered fights with Rev than it is some of the other classes because you simply can not avoid, heal or block every damaging attack. Things like Thief, Mesmer, Warrior, Engineer, etc. can handle outnumbered fights better because they can recover from attacks they can't avoid through various means. Rev really doesn't have that option. It has one long cooldown heal with Glint that has potential to turn a fight in it's favor, but will very rarely do so. Most times, all it does is grant the Rev either enough time to escape or prolong their inevitable death a little longer.

Rev is extremely strong 1v1 to the point it should be winning the majority of it's fights, regardless of what it's fighting, if it's played well. But for outnumbered fights, all it has going for it is a lot of evades and teleports. It's just not likely to win if it commits to a fight because it only has one chance to reset with Infuse Light. Every bit of damage it takes after that is going to be very hard to recover from.

Conditions are one of those weaknesses, yes. The other is sustained fights. Revenant has a lot of trouble in fights that drag on despite having low cooldowns on many of their skills. It is substantially more difficult to win outnumbered fights with Rev than it is some of the other classes because you simply can not avoid, heal or block every damaging attack. Things like Thief, Mesmer, Warrior, Engineer, etc. can handle outnumbered fights better because they can recover from attacks they can't avoid through various means. Rev really doesn't have that option. It has one long cooldown heal with Glint that has potential to turn a fight in it's favor, but will very rarely do so. Most times, all it does is grant the Rev either enough time to escape or prolong their inevitable death a little longer.

Rev is extremely strong 1v1 to the point it should be winning the
majority
of it's fights, regardless of what it's fighting, if it's played well. But for outnumbered fights, all it has going for it is a lot of evades and teleports. It's just not likely to win if it commits to a fight because it only has one chance to reset with Infuse Light. Every bit of damage it takes after that is going to be very hard to recover from.

Wait, but thievs and power mesmer at least, can't take hits or recover mid fight at all, they have to port away and reset and that's where the qq comes into play about how "op" they are. Fight them in a camp and it's a totally different ball game - assuming they are the classes thats defending the camps.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

Rev is extremely strong 1v1 to the point it should be winning the
majority
of it's fights, regardless of what it's fighting, if it's played well. But for outnumbered fights, all it has going for it is a lot of evades and teleports. It's just not likely to win if it commits to a fight because it only has one chance to reset with Infuse Light. Every bit of damage it takes after that is going to be very hard to recover from.

Wait, but thievs and power mesmer at least, can't take hits or recover mid fight at all, they have to port away and reset and that's where the qq comes into play about how "op" they are. Fight them in a camp and it's a totally different ball game - assuming they are the classes thats defending the camps.

Not to mention when a thief resets it’s also giving time for the opponents to reset as well

@Nimon.7840 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:U guys need to reassess ur tactics if thief is 1v1 u regularly if ur on any class other than necro or mesmer

Even reaper stands a good chance vs melee theif.

Lul. If you're a good thief, even the best reaper won't even hit you once

Reaper really needs some more defensive options,shroud amounts to little defense these days. Maybe a block and a little buff in mobility even if it’s just insta tele to worm to help relieve pressure

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:U guys need to reassess ur tactics if thief is 1v1 u regularly if ur on any class other than necro or mesmer

Not talking about deadeye.

Yeah. And I'm talking about daredevil

DE is powercrept along with the other classes but a lot of long time thief mains don’t enjoy DE playstyle, relying on stealth and having to constantly stack it to not be at a disadvantage. I don’t see how fighting a DE could be enjoyable for anyone let alone enjoyable to play as,backstab and unloading from stealth can only be fun for so long lol. But what are the option? U roam or join zergs as core or DD and +1 and scout for ur team. If ur a s/d thief or staff DD you are not gonna win any non +1 fights against any competent player that’s using any class other than mesmer or necro unless u are in a small percentage of players where u can win disadvantaged fights thru skill alone which even that begins not to matter against some builds. Thief isn’t alone, Same thing is happening to engineers class. Holo is powercrept and core is left way behind so engineers can’t enjoy the class they’ve invested heavily into if they don’t enjoy holo? Atleast speaking of being effective while enjoying the class I mean lol. It’s easy to say well if u don’t enjoy the one spec that’s been powercrept by arenet than pick a different class but that disregards all the investments they’ve put in said class. I just hope arenet starts looking at classes as a whole and not make balance decisions based off the one spec (newest) they have chose to powercreep ie nurfing classes the community out cries for in ways that don’t deal with the issues causing the communities discontent but instead nurfing other specs in the profession that are already weak making only the newest spec substantially more effective than the others.1v1 fights against any thief spec other than DE would be a lot more fun for other players to fight against lol, same for ele and engi

@Nimon.7840 said:

Not talking about deadeye.

Yeah. And I'm talking about daredevil

A good thief in any spec hard counters necro,unless it gets caught in a scourges aoe Condi spam, which it shouldn’t unless poor positioning

Archived