Ranger Pets that are locked behind Guild Wars 1 Eye of the North Expansion gameplay

Thandor.5748

Hello to all,

In every MMO I have played, Rangers / Hunters seem to be my favorite class. That is why I started as a Ranger in Guild Wars 2. I really like the idea of having pets and especially more than 3 or 5 pets in your personal arsenal although we know that I am going to use some of them (1 or 2 in most case scenarios).

Now, that I am moving forward to Hearth of Thorns Map, I see that I am missing the following pets from the Classic map:

• Black Moa
  • White Raven
  • Black Window Spider
  • Rainbow Jellyfish

which according to my research, the only way to unlock them is to play Guild Wars 1 (which I own) and especially Eye Of The North Expansion (which I do not have) in order to collect Reward Points... That is why I wanted to ask if there is any other possible way to have those pets. I didn't find anything in the store or in Gw2 wiki and I wanted to ask you guys here maybe I am missing something...

I know that those pets are simple re-skins from the already existed pets, but I really cannot understand why me, as a player who happens to love Rangers in every MMO, and who I have upgraded my basic Guild Wars 2 game and the 2 expansions all 3 to deluxe Versions I must have something locked, even if its about pet skins, behind such a wall.

I can understand ArenaNet wanted to "honor" players from the previous game, but what about those players who do not play Rangers? Why don't they give them some gear collection in their wardrobe or some other goodies such as titles etc. Why it had to be pet skins which all the rest players who play the specific class/profession uses them?

Am I missing other ways of obtaining them?

Those pets are specifically rewards for longtime players, basically. There is a site that will let you gauge the point value of your GW1 account. You just need to make sure it's linked to your GW2 account. Then you need EotN and to unlock the Hall of Monuments. From there, based on how much you already played the game you might be able to just get 30 points right off and unlock everything. Once that happens you need to pick up the Hall of Monuments Portal Stone from the Skritt Cave in LA to teleport there and unlock your pets, and anything else like armor skins.

But no, there is no other way to get them and will never be, they're exclusive.

@borgs.6103 said:If you really want them, you can always buy GW1 and do the stuff needed to get them. They're all still achievable. Also, they also did give the players from the previous game some unique skins and titles.

Thanks for your answer.

Wouldn't be easier if I could just pay for those skins? Or even wouldn't more enjoyable if I could unlock them with some type of content in the current game? I do not blame or anything I just cannot understand the logic behind a move like this. They could have it both ways:

• For those who already played the precious game
  • For those who have not

Both ways = both winners.

PS: Btw, I have linked accounts as I used to play the classic GW. Is there a way to check if I have some Reward Points?

Thank you all for your replies guys!

Do I have to own all the previous expansions of GW 1 or just the Eye Of the storm?I only need 30 Reward Points to unlock every possible combination?

I may have an eye to that solution if I will ever feel like I need to unlock them all...

The more xpacks you have the more things you can do to generate points for the hom. For example, you get a point by doing the first campaign, another for the second, ect. You can get pretty high up without them, as far as I know, but I would strongly advise doing all the campaigns, if just because they're fun (and in Nightfalls case, you see what elona was like)

Have you considered that your suggestion is basically "please swap these cosmetic items for a different type which I personally do not care about so someone else is affected by this instead?" It's not really a solution - it just shifts the problem to a different group of people.

Having said that these pet skins and the other HoM items are still available for anyone who wants them, you just have to play GW1 instead of GW2. You can get general information about how the Hall of Monuments works on this page: https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Hall_of_MonumentsAnd this one has a guide to getting points: https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guide_to_earning_Hall_of_Monuments_rewards

You need to own Eye of the North plus at least one other campaign (Prophecies, Factions or Nightfall), it's easier with all 3 campaigns, but you can get 30 points with just 1. If you own GW1 the chances are you've already got at least 1 campaign (you definitely can't have Eye of the North on it's own - I don't think you'd even be able to create an account with that since it's purely an expansion with no stand-alone content).

ANet used the Hall of Monuments -- and the skins that would eventually be attached to it -- as a carrot to keep players interested in the original Guild Wars game during the lengthy period during which GW2 was in development. It worked, for a lot of people. Intensive title farming took place long after ANet stopped producing anything but token updates to Guild Wars. Title farming took a lot of time. Some titles took so much time that farming a Legendary in GW2 looks like a breeze in comparison.

If a developer changes how rewards are allocated after the fact, the players who got those rewards are likely to feel slighted. This is especially so if the new method of getting the rewards involves less time, or involves paying for the rewards rather than playing for them. While I understand your want, sometimes ANet has to decide that pleasing one group of fans is not a good idea if by doing so they anger another group of fans.

This has come up on the forums just about every time that ANet has made GW2 rewards that were exclusive to content available by a different means. Your request is no different -- except that in some of the GW2 cases, the old rewards were no longer available because the content is no longer available. Guild Wars is still open.

I have no idea if ANet will someday grant your request. Under the circumstances, my advice would be not to expect it. From your perspective, the decision to give you what you want probably looks like a good idea. However, there are often many aspects to such issues that one side may not consider.

@"Thandor.5748" said:Thank you all for your replies guys!

Do I have to own all the previous expansions of GW 1 or just the Eye Of the storm?I only need 30 Reward Points to unlock every possible combination?

I may have an eye to that solution if I will ever feel like I need to unlock them all...

You need to get enough 'reward points' on your account to access them. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hall_of_Monuments

EOTN is a secondary expansion (max level) and you need at least one of the others to access it. You can't start in EOTN, and have to get to lvl 20 in one of the others. I recomend getting all of them though. The easiest way to get points is just to complete the campaigns. If you do all of them, and also go back and do the mission bonuses, you should get just over 20 points worth of achieves just from that. Best starting points are Factions which will get you to lvl 20 fastest, while Nightfall is the best overall experience and gets you Heroes which will help a lot since you basically have to solo everything these days. Say "Hi" to Koss.

Be warned, GW1 is not at all like GW2. It's a slow paced tactical RPG based on deck-building and countering your foes. It's still well worth playing IMO, but the style is very different and if you don't like the slow paced style you may want to avoid it and just live without the reskins.

It is an exclusive nod to original Gw1 players, if you played gw1 then you got rewards that carried over to gw2.

There are players who still play gw1-- it has a better pvp system and its fairly easy to get all of the rewards and skins. I think it took me maybe 2 weeks or less, I had friends who helped as well

And there were skin/wardrobe unlocks for anyone else. Minis as well -- pets were just a nice bonus.

It's a nice exclusive thing original gw1 players are rewarded with, put in the work= get the rewards. A nice system.

Gw1 is smaller instance based, you cant jump- you can alter builds more so than you can in gw1- you can save and share build templates, its slower paced but somehow better maybe because its more hardcore? There can be a challenge there but if you start with prophecies, youll see why some players hate Charr so much. There are many characters you'll come to care for if you decide to dive in and not rush--- and you'll see how they were just kind of written off in gw2.

Archived