Terrible wvw experience. Advice please.

I am very new to this game's wvw after having played about a hundred sPvP matches with elementalist. The difference is huge. In spvp I can use both core staff and sd weaver and feel powerful, i have positive match win ratio. In Wvw however I get blown up in a matter of seconds the moment I enter any fight. I use meta build sd weaver and even though I know im still noob, I have never felt this weak in any game, ever. I have always liked roaming and small group fighting in other mmos but when I get hit for over 60 % of my health in one skill like happens all the time, it makes me want to ragequit. What am I doing wrong?

@HarvestofHumiliation.7418 said:I am very new to this game's wvw after having played about a hundred sPvP matches with elementalist. The difference is huge. In spvp I can use both core staff and sd weaver and feel powerful, i have positive match win ratio. In Wvw however I get blown up in a matter of seconds the moment I enter any fight. I use meta build sd weaver and even though I know im still noob, I have never felt this weak in any game, ever. I have always liked roaming and small group fighting in other mmos but when I get hit for over 60 % of my health in one skill like happens all the time, it makes me want to ragequit. What am I doing wrong?

Running solo on s/d.

It’s a great duo role. Has a really difficult time solo.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@HarvestofHumiliation.7418 said:I am very new to this game's wvw after having played about a hundred sPvP matches with elementalist. The difference is huge. In spvp I can use both core staff and sd weaver and feel powerful, i have positive match win ratio. In Wvw however I get blown up in a matter of seconds the moment I enter any fight. I use meta build sd weaver and even though I know im still noob, I have never felt this weak in any game, ever. I have always liked roaming and small group fighting in other mmos but when I get hit for over 60 % of my health in one skill like happens all the time, it makes me want to ragequit. What am I doing wrong?

Running solo on s/d.

Which profession spec do you advice for solo roaming? I tried core sd thief yesterday and result was pretty much the same. The extreme amount of damage doesnt give me any oppurtunity to do anything in wvw.

@"HarvestofHumiliation.7418" said:In Wvw however I get blown up in a matter of seconds the moment I enter any fight.Thats normal, even for ppl that already played WvW for a while, took a break, and came back. Easiest way to get used to it imo, is to join some random players, instead of soloing. When you enter a map, a window pops up with "looking for group" and other options, that might help. Otherwise, you can use map and team chat, or join a WvW clan. Or join TS.

Nonetheless, most of the current roaming play is to spot and dodge enemy burst, and counter with burst as well. You might also record the screen and watch the video afterwards, and use fight chat to elaborate which skills hit you so hard.

Imo you are used to fighting in a mode that limits your gear and build choices, thus you have gotten used to said limit. Now you are playing a mode where build diversity is limitless. Different mindset/playstyle.

I too used to be a hardcore PvP'er before I left (toxicity of PvP was getting overwhelming) and went to WvW (no regerts). Took me a bit to get used to the change. Its a diff mindset for sure. If you are NA and looking for a sparring partner, look me up.

What you're doing wrong is roaming on ele. Ele builds that have good kill potential can eventually be deleted by 90% of skills in the game and have no mobility nor sustain. Ele builds that have good sustain have quite low damage output and are very easy to kite. Hybrid builds may kill someone, but are still fairly squishy compared to other classes that fill similar role and do less damage than them.

The only way to do 7k fireballs on ele is to play weaver in full glass cannon gear and have 25 might, otherwise you'll do 4-5k at most. Staff is quite terrible in roaming unless you consider a group of 10+ people being roamers and even then you can get deleted by pretty much anything.

Ele and necro are not the classes you want to be solo roaming on.

@HarvestofHumiliation.7418 said:

Running solo on s/d.

Which profession spec do you advice for solo roaming? I tried core sd thief yesterday and result was pretty much the same. The extreme amount of damage doesnt give me any oppurtunity to do anything in wvw.

I would suggest Holo Smith, mirage. Sword dagger thief take a lot of practice and knowing what you are likely facing. It’s good, but doesn’t hit as hard as it really needs to

And @steki.1478 is right:

@steki.1478 said:What you're doing wrong is roaming on ele. Ele builds that have good kill potential can eventually be deleted by 90% of skills in the game and have no mobility nor sustain. Ele builds that have good sustain have quite low damage output and are very easy to kite. Hybrid builds may kill someone, but are still fairly squishy compared to other classes that fill similar role and do less damage than them.

The only way to do 7k fireballs on ele is to play weaver in full glass cannon gear and have 25 might, otherwise you'll do 4-5k at most. Staff is quite terrible in roaming unless you consider a group of 10+ people being roamers and even then you can get deleted by pretty much anything.

Ele and necro are not the classes you want to be solo roaming on.

They are great with a buddy.

Try running focus. It has better sustain skills.Dagger isn't all that great. You can kite without it, and are probably aren't going to get away from certain classes even with dagger.

Try switching some equipments with more defensive stats. Ele definitely can't get away with solo roaming in full zerkers. Not to mention Ele is one of the few classes that get great mileage from Celestial stats.

@enkidu.5937 said:

@"HarvestofHumiliation.7418" said:In Wvw however I get blown up in a matter of seconds the moment I enter any fight.Thats normal, even for ppl that already played WvW for a while, took a break, and came back. Easiest way to get used to it imo, is to join some random players, instead of soloing. When you enter a map, a window pops up with "looking for group" and other options, that might help. Otherwise, you can use map and team chat, or join a WvW clan. Or join TS.

Nonetheless, most of the current roaming play is to spot and dodge enemy burst, and counter with burst as well.
You might also record the screen and watch the video afterwards, and use fight chat to elaborate which skills hit you so hard.

This, if you want to roam, you need a certain minimum amount of damage and burst. Tank builds almost don't work for roaming. This automatically makes you more susceptible to getting burst yourself.

Second, what no one has mentioned so far and since you have spvped:The stat caps are way higher in WvW compared to spvp. Spvp stats are basically on the level of exotic gear while ascended gear goes beyond that. It does make certain builds more or less powerful. It will also put you at a slight disadvantage if you go up against a fully ascended geared character.

First of all make sure that you are not playing with zerker gear if you are not a master of your class in WvW.I encounter many low rank people in WvW that hit hard but die without effort with 2 or 3 hits.

WvW is completely different than PvP, if you are going to play full zerk make sure you are hiding behind a group of 30+ where enemies cannot single you out and recognize you are the DPS low rank.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/ that might help with tweaking your build (make sure you set it to 'WvW'), there are quite a few difference from pvp to wvw in terms of traits, stats, sigils/runes etc.

That aside, welcome to WvW, you'll find almost every build that's not on a tag is going to do what you describe. Ele is pretty low-tier for roaming also, you'll have to work much harder for a kill than any of the meta roaming builds around.

Stats are way way different in wvw people can min max and the amount of stats one gets running full ascended zerk versus what's possible with zerk amulet is way different. I remember when I made the transition many moons ago it threw me off too except I went in the opposite order.

I don't think I would ever suggest roaming on ele, unless you know exactly who you are facing and what you're getting into. WvW damage is much higher than it is in pvp, so its pretty easy to get blown up if you aren't prepared, especially if facing multiple enemies. Also a lot of people run 1 shot builds to roam with.

The fact is wvw Is simply garbage! It has been neglected to a point it will never be fixed. The combination of arenanet’s ridiculous decision to only balance classes towards a pve environment and totally disregard’s the other modes it offers,and the fact that the modes that are disregarded are pvp modes makes the balance issues more predominant. Also it’s the gaming community nature in all pvp games to utilize the cheesiest and easiest way to acquire kills no matter how it will effect others thus making wvw and pvp not enjoyable for new players. You can literally unload on a lot of the players in wvw these days while they just stand there afk waiting to capture a point in wvw and you will literally just see zero’s popping up on enemies head,once it’s captured they will hit u twice and down you and move on like the inconsequential ant u are lol,seems like good balancing and healthy game mechanics to me lol. than these players go on forums complaining about server population being low and wonder why.

@Cyninja.2954 said:Second, what no one has mentioned so far and since you have spvped:The stat caps are way higher in WvW compared to spvp. Spvp stats are basically on the level of exotic gear while ascended gear goes beyond that. It does make certain builds more or less powerful. It will also put you at a slight disadvantage if you go up against a fully ascended geared character.Ascended is just like 10% - the gearstat difference between sPvP and WvW is far greater than that. Last I checked, it was roughly 1000 stat point difference. So imagine sPvP with berserker... Then have 2000 toughness. Or 3000 power. Or 10K extra hp. Thats WvW.

EIther way, the ele is a poor first joiner, yes. Its got potential to fight anything but its not easy. The good ones are rare. If learning, I would recommend smallscaling with a bunker build and gradually move to more damage. Going full dps is just begging to be roflstomped by other roamers.

Oh and ignore psycoprophet. He is clearly bitter about something that isnt really related to running an ele.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:Second, what no one has mentioned so far and since you have spvped:
The stat caps are way higher in WvW compared to spvp.
Spvp stats are basically on the level of exotic gear while ascended gear goes beyond that. It does make certain builds more or less powerful. It will also put you at a slight disadvantage if you go up against a fully ascended geared character.Ascended is just like 10% - the gearstat difference between sPvP and WvW is far greater than that. Last I checked, it was roughly 1000 stat point difference. So imagine sPvP with berserker... Then have 2000 toughness. Or 3000 power. Or 10K extra hp. Thats WvW.

EIther way, the ele is a poor first joiner, yes. Its got potential to fight anything but its not easy. The good ones are rare. If learning, I would recommend smallscaling with a bunker build and gradually move to more damage. Going full dps is just begging to be roflstomped by other roamers.

Oh and ignore psycoprophet. He is clearly bitter about something that isnt really related to running an ele.

No it’s relatable, the issues OP list effect all classes,60% hp loss in single hit/burst etc wont be fixed by reply’s telling him to gear right etc. They may help in a very minimal way but to try and say that an ele geared right and with practice will result in anything other than what the OP is encountering in disingenuous. OP u are playing a mode with a lot of long time players that are skilled yes but also are built to down someone in seconds regardless of ur gear stats using powercrept damage and or mix of cheese mechanics. Once u get used to wvw and how it works it can be fun and frustrating. There are a lot of power crept sustain builds out there as well that just shrug damage off and being able to bait them out and using ur own burst to down them in seconds is ur best bet as well as getting familiar with all the blocks,evade and invulnerability spam that u and others can use. Why is everyone scared to tell it like it is? I’m not bitter at all I have fun on my boonbeast but I don’t avoid or make excuses for the state of the mode and pretend it’s somthing it’s not

Truthful answer to OP if u enjoy the thought of backline support dropping fireballs on people heads than ele will work for u in wvw. I understand wanting to use ele due to it being the the class I enjoy most but using it to rain etc will cause u frustrations that out weigh that enjoyment due to lack of tools to compete with other classes when comparing roaming capabilities. If u really want to roam maybe consider a different class as there is a lot of info on these forums that with give u an idea of which classes those are. Holo might be wotyh consideration due to it being a good Roamer/duelist and u can roll the core spec in pve if u like classes that are more complex and that have a lot of skill options

Archived