Make 'Crystal Hibernation'(Shield 5) reflect projectiles

Snellibee.2761

As the title says. In my opinion to make shield great again and to make up for not being able to move while blocking, Crystal Hibernation needs to be able to reflect projectiles while blocking.

This might move some more people from sword/sword to sword shield again.

Also shield 4 could use a buff.

Is they dont want to change the mechanics then just overbuff it. Like sword 4 and 5.

Make shield 4 do like 4k heal. Make shield 5 do 2k per tick.

Or would coom to make shield 5 also pull targets to it during the pulse. Or make shield 4 like a damage skill two, so where the shield land does like a 7k hit.

Dreams, dreams....just dreams....

@Infusion.7149 said:It's terrible until they remove the root. Standing in place for 3 seconds to block and regen with 0.5 heal coefficient is a poor skill...

The reason why it is so bad is it has been nerfed while powercreep took over.

Energy replenishment would be a good change.

I also thought about the idea of making the skill a 2 part skill, the first activation works just like now and put you into a shield and the second activation breaks the shield and knocks everyone in an area around you down

The simplest solution I can think of is to remove the "Block" status and instead make it an "Invulnerable" status (Similar to Distortion/Blur/Renewed Focus) and then touch on the Healing Scaling. Naturally, it'd mean the skill must prevent Capture-Point Contribution to be in line with other Invulnerabilities, but that'd be a fair trade-off. They could scale down the duration from 3s to 2s and tighten the Healing ticks (once every 1/2s instead of every second) if 3s Invulnerability turns out to be too much.

Additionally, I'd like to see a Daze component on Shield #4 so it has a bit of Offensive Value as well. The skill always returns to you so throwing it at your feet shouldn't be the optimal choice even in a 1v1.

In my opinion shield should be a purely defensive weapon oriented for PvP/WvW gamemodes. That said I think it's a lot closer to being viable than most think as I still make shield work in WvW roaming and smallscale every day without much issue. Shield should also work in a boon-oriented fashion.

Here are a few POTENTIAL suggestions I'd have. Obviously if you implemented all of these shield would become way too strong, so please don't think I'm advocating for all of these. Perhaps one of each, or even just two out of all of them, would improve shield gameplay significantly.

Envoy of Exuberance

Increase base healing and healing power scaling by 25% each.

Allow it to apply double protection to the revenant if he/she casts the skill on him/herself (this already works on your allies if you cast it point-blank).

Add another boon to it, probably regen. Could have it apply 2 seconds of resistance but that'd probably be too good.

Crystal Hibernation

Increase healing power scaling by 25%. IMO base healing is fine on this skill but you could make an argument for changing it back to its original value (nerfed Jan 2016).

Allow it to let you move at 66% reduced speed (as if you were chilled) while channeling.

Hardening Persistence (shield-oriented trait):

In addition to its other effects, gain increased concentration (+75). Gain additional concentration (+75) when wielding a shield. *note: A reasonable 5% boon duration increase permanently and 10% in total when wielding a shield. Shouldn't be too broken given the rest of the benefits of the trait aren't EXTREMELY impactful.

Add the old effect of Soothing Bastion to this trait: Using a Shield skill increases the duration of boons currently on allies within a 600 radius by 2 seconds. *note: This trait is much more in line with changes that have been made these days to boon-sharing skills such as Signet of Inspiration and the new, crappy Glint F2. It was never used in the past due to the absolutely awful instant proc, but could be a very valuable resource these days especially since boons have become harder to come by on revenant. This could also help herald specifically help compete for the role of boonshare.

Anyway, these are just a few suggestions I'd have about various ways to improve the herald's shield. Some things, like changing Shield 5 to an Invuln or allowing it to reflect would make it way too good in my opinion.

@Justine.6351 said:

@Justine.6351 said:Think giving melee revs ranged damage would be inappropriate.

Are you in the wrong thread? What do you mean ranged damage? Nobody here talked about giving shield ranged damage?

Do I really need to explain what reflect is?

If you consider reflecting a solid source of ranged damage I don't know what to tell you though. fyi Warrior's shield block reflects projectiles too.

@Snellibee.2761 said:

@Justine.6351 said:Think giving melee revs ranged damage would be inappropriate.

Are you in the wrong thread? What do you mean ranged damage? Nobody here talked about giving shield ranged damage?

If you consider reflecting a solid source of ranged damage I don't know what to tell you though. fyi Warrior's shield block reflects projectiles too.

Yes we should make all shield skills reflect because warrior...

@Justine.6351 said:

Yes we should make all shield skills reflect because warrior...

Alright you clearly are giving no value in this thread so you have no reason to be here

Hmm. Sword/sword combo has only 1 skill requiring you to be in melee range, AA. Granted all the other ones are short range (and sword 5 is a leap), but saying that melee ranged damage is inappropriate is the exact opposite of what power herald currently is.

As for the shield, they just need to remove the root and the skill will be fine as is.

Personally speaking, reflection on shield 5 is the last thing I feel the skill needs. It would be helpful in certain matchups, sure, but I'd rather they just remove the root or make it a more supportive defensive weapon. Someone here had the idea of being able to "explode" the block and have it heal allies per pulse as well instead of blocking, which would be incredibly helpful and would have great synergy with the shield trait.

To be honest - Add "ANYTHING" to the shield... It just needs it so badly.Give shield real support power that would enable Heralds to give out some protection or flat healing (now we have a wanna-be support weapon that's useless 9/10 times). This weapon is great in theory but it lacks mechanics.

• I think we should leave Daze and disables to Jalis (you know, future hopes)
  • Pulsing heal or Protection to nearby allies on Crystal Hibernation #5 would be nice
  • Herald should benefit from being rooted if using Crystal Hibernation
  • Allowing Herald to move at 33% speed while using #5 would be also nice
  • Give any, literally any effect to the Shield #5 and we'll see how it goes. Gameplay using a shield doesn't feel clunky, stationary, supporti-ish, I juust don't feel like I'm getting anything from using it beside 1,400 heal on #4.

@otto.5684 said:

Hmm. Sword/sword combo has only 1 skill requiring you to be in melee range, AA. Granted all the other ones are short range (and sword 5 is a leap), but saying that melee ranged damage is inappropriate is the exact opposite of what power herald currently is.

As for the shield, they just need to remove the root and the skill will be fine as is.

Like sword 2/3/4?

Can we stop being kittens? There is a profound difference between 450 range and 900-2000 range...

@Justine.6351 said:

Like sword 2/3/4?

Can we stop being kittens? There is a profound difference between 450 range and 900-2000 range...

This clearly derailed from what this thread main topic. However, the primary point of power herald effectiveness is the mid range capability in PvP.

Archived