Gem Store Conversion Market Crash

At ~0815 server time, the North American GW2 Gem Store hit a ridiculous market conversion spike. Over the span of about 10 minutes the conversion rate went up from 130G per 400 Gems to 243G per 400 Gems. Normally conversion rate changes can be attributed to market forces (i.e. players buying/selling gems for gold) but the sheer volume of transactions required for this seems more like a bug, a bot spamming gold conversion, or a market crash. Any insight into this?

@"MaliceAwakening.9205" said:

At ~0815 server time, the North American GW2 Gem Store hit a ridiculous market conversion spike. Over the span of about 10 minutes the conversion rate went up from 130G per 400 Gems to 243G per 400 Gems. Normally conversion rate changes can be attributed to market forces (i.e. players buying/selling gems for gold) but the sheer volume of transactions required for this seems more like a bug, a bot spamming gold conversion, or a market crash. Any insight into this?I've been a gem exchange market watcher since the game launched and I've never seen a spike this huge, not even with special sales or discounts.

It could mean that the supply of gems in the exchange has been diminishing over time so that a single ultra wealthy player's mass conversion could impact the rate, but that requires too many assumptions to be plausible.

On the other hand, given all the glitches in the API since its guardian developer got promoted, I'd vote for "bug" as the most likely scenario. At least, in the (expected) absence of any comments from ANet.

Technical note:

the North American GW2 Gem StoreThere's a single gold:gem exchange system for NA & EU; there's no "North American GW2 Gem Store."

@Pagio.3029 said:The answer is simple. Infinite volatile magic gathering tools are back. Many people were waiting for them.. If this is possible for so big peak.

A spike like that would be very unusual for a returning item, even one a lot of people want. Especially at that time - it was mid-morning US time and the middle of the day EU time, on a week day, so it's unlikely a lot of people were online. If it was a gradual increase through the day the volatile tools (and other new/returning items) could definitely explain it, but not a spike like this.

All I can think is it's either a bug or one person doing a very large transfer. I don't know how many transfers it takes to affect the exchange rate, but I guess since it was a quiet time maybe it would take less activity than normal to have an impact? Although the fact that it dropped back down equally quickly makes me think its more likely to be a bug.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Pagio.3029 said:The answer is simple. Infinite volatile magic gathering tools are back. Many people were waiting for them.. If this is possible for so big peak.

A spike like that would be very unusual for a returning item, even one a lot of people want. Especially at that time - it was mid-morning US time and the middle of the day EU time, on a week day, so it's unlikely a lot of people were online. If it was a gradual increase through the day the volatile tools (and other new/returning items) could definitely explain it, but not a spike like this.

All I can think is it's either a bug or one person doing a very large transfer. I don't know how many transfers it takes to affect the exchange rate, but I guess since it was a quiet time maybe it would take less activity than normal to have an impact? Although the fact that it dropped back down equally quickly makes me think its more likely to be a bug.

I don't think its one person doing very large transfer. I believe Anet has some protection about it. Also, because there is a cap of 9999, it would take many people doing something at the same time. An it's odd because as you say it was an hour with less server activity.

Maybe, Anet could explain this.

@Danikat.8537 said:

A spike like that would be very unusual for a returning item, even one a lot of people want.It's never happened in the past, even with people waiting for a discount on character slots or for a never-released new color of backpack wings. It's not 100% impossible, but just barely.

one person doing a very large transfer.One person converting 400k of gold to gems isn't likely to have been enough, and no one on GW2 efficiency has even that much liquid gold. Plus, as @Pagio.3029 noted, there are some caps and protections in place to slow this down.

All I can think is it's either a bugThe one we (as players) would never be able to rule out.But I can't even guess as to what sort of bug would create this effect, unless something corrupted the data and the game wasn't reflecting the actual rate that was in place at the time. (That is, the true rate might have been much the same; it just shows us a much higher number.) But even that seems implausible.

The only thing I can come up with (besides the way way way more obvious chance of a fluke or bug) is literally cleaning RMT and bot gold, expecting a total loss in a future ban wave.

Clean accounts buy gems with gold, compromised accounts with a bulk of RMT or botted gold drive the conversion rate up, clean accounts sell off their gems. Given how some legitimate players also converted gems to gold at the high spike (even saw people talk about rate they exchanged gems to gold in map chat for a while), it becomes now difficult to pinpoint the clean RMT accounts.

Obviously this would mean a huge loss in gold for the RMT/bot companies, but maybe a loss is better than a total loss. I guess if we see a ban wave in the next few weeks, this possibility becomes more realistic.

Again I have to repeat though, a bug or fluke in the system is a lot more likely.

Sorry guys, I converted a few million gold to gems on several of my accounts in one sitting.Normally I space this process out over time but needed to take care of late christmas gifts for my guild after not being online much during the holidays. I will try to avoid this in the future.

@Ashen.2907 said:Sorry guys, I converted a few million gold to gems on several of my accounts in one sitting.Normally I space this process out over time but needed to take care of late christmas gifts for my guild after not being online much during the holidays. I will try to avoid this in the future.

checks guild list

Dangnabit... not in your guild...

Archived