Tequatl Hoard Drops? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Tequatl Hoard Drops?

I'm just making this quickie forum in order to gather some notes regarding Tequatl Hoard drops! As I would imagine from Google searching, they've typically seemed to have risen from the Exotic Form of Dragon Chest that is available once a day per account— but the wiki states to yield possibility that Tequatl Hoards can in fact sprout from the Dragon Chest that spawns on map as the Tequatl Trophy Chest (which can be obtained once a day per character instead). As a creator of a character who has come to near exclusively use Sunless weapons for my Thief/Holosmith (i.e., Dagger, Revolver, Staff, Rifle, and Spear..), I have high motivation to follow any leads that can increase my Tequatl Hoard drop chances.

TLDR; Has anyone ever recalled receiving a Tequatl Hoard without the Exotic Dragon Chest? (I'd also like opinions as to if hitting Tequatl multiple times a day spanning different characters each attempt is a good idea; I literally have memorized his spawn times in my head all around the clock.) Either way, I'll be a constant threat to Zhaitan's Champion to ensure maximum efficiency unless believably informed that my efforts are fruitless. Thanks!

Comments

• @Jeknar.6184 said:
    I've killed Tequatl thousand of times, I've only dropped ONE hoard.

..I'd say my luck stat is one of my most notable traits. I assembled my first hoard not too long after my first encounter with Tequatl and the list just gradually filled in! There was even one time after HoT was released that I hadn't ventured into the Daredevil street cuz I use Bolt on my Thief. While working with my clientele they noted that it was weird I was still a Thief and at that time I made a promise to them that I'd only make her a Daredevil if I got another Hoard to adorn the transition.. Literally, the same day at Reset I got a Hoard.

I WILL BECOME STRIDER OF THE SUNLESS!!

• I got *REALLY* lucky and got a precursor from a post-daily reset Teq fight, but it'll be a frosty day in the burning hells before I get a Hoard.

Prince of Angels - Disney Prince with a Horrifying Power

• XenoSpyro.1780XenoSpyro.1780 Member ✭✭✭

@Jeknar.6184 said:

Got a Teq box two days ago, and a Wupwup box today. GG

• @XenoSpyro.1780 said:

Got a Teq box two days ago, and a Wupwup box today. GG

I get so jelly of Teq Hoard pings ><

• phs.6089phs.6089 Member ✭✭✭✭

I can't tell about hoard itself but i have gotten ascended armor chest from Teq's Chest.
    Killed Teq alot gotten 2 hoards so far.
    Teq's weapons are just ascended weps with 'rabid' stats (except that Sunless signature)

"There is always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city."

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2019

I got 8 hoards all from the exotic map reward chest
    Edit
    What I do I save up like 30-40 of the chest and open em all at once 0-2 hoards each time

• @Linken.6345 said:
    I got 8 hoards all from the exotic map reward chest
    Edit
    What I do I save up like 30-40 of the chest and open em all at once 0-2 hoards each time

I guess its a resounding yes out of exotic Dragon Chests..

• borgs.6103borgs.6103 Member ✭✭✭

Used to do Teq once-a-day religiously until real life kicked in. Got 11 hoards so far and I think I never got one from the Trophy Chest (the lootable statue near the tailbone). I swear I remember getting a hoard or two on a rare daily chest. Could also be just from the way loots appear on the side, this was before bouncy chests were right-click-able so I just spam click to open them all.

Check out the fable of the Boiling Frog.

• Malediktus.9250Malediktus.9250 Member ✭✭✭✭

I do tequatl almost every day since it got introduced, and I do not even have half the set so far

• Jura.2170Jura.2170 Member ✭✭✭

If you got an ascended or hoard from the black chest, was auto loot turned on or off when it happened?

please make a Taimi voice mail pack
    my QoL wishes

• @Jura.2170 said:
    If you got an ascended or hoard from the black chest, was auto loot turned on or off when it happened?

Well essentially the question still holds because I've yet to confirm someone acquiring a Tequatl Hoard from the Autolootable Chest so.. Still unsure what the autoloot v no autoloot has to do with it? Results the same.

• ProtoGunner.4953ProtoGunner.4953 Member ✭✭✭✭

I killed him about 100 times and never got a horde.

• ..I guess we remain at square one..

• I have had Tequatl's Hoard drop 4 times and 2 weapon chest drops in the last 3 to 4 months. They have all come out of the exotic chest.

• Kylden Ar.3724Kylden Ar.3724 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Jeknar.6184 said:

I've killed him maybe.... 500 times... and gotten about 15 Ascended Weapon Boxes, with half of them being from Hoards.

RNG is a fickle god.

How many times we gotta tell you GRIND IS NOT CONTENT there ANet?

Leader of Tyrian Adventure Corp [TACO], member of [RaW][TACO][Owls][HELL] Alliance, Kaineng.

• Jura.2170Jura.2170 Member ✭✭✭

@Athan.1024 said:
    I have had Tequatl's Hoard drop 4 times and 2 weapon chest drops in the last 3 to 4 months. They have all come out of the exotic chest.

When you opened the chests, was it immediately after the event finished? Or did you wait and go to another map first?

please make a Taimi voice mail pack
    my QoL wishes

• I always open the chests after the event on the map.

• A long time ago, I got my first ascended weapon from a tequatl hoard. of course, it was my first and still is the only one I've ever gotten. but it was awhile ago so I don't remember if I got it from opening a chest I got from tequatl. at the moment I've decided to fight tequatl every day so I can try to get another tequatl hoard, since I only have one ascended weapon at the moment, the Veil render, which I use on my main, and I would like to get more ascended weapons. when I get another if I get it or don't get it from opening one of those chests that you get from tequatl, I'll edit this comment and tell you.

• kratan.4619kratan.4619 Member ✭✭✭

Never seen a hoard drop yet, honestly, I do not kill it everyday, but have accomplished the feat a few times over 7 years.

• Esterie.7409Esterie.7409 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2020

I can't say if this happened from opening the wiggly chests, the chests in my inventory, or what. I just want to share my experience with the drop rates:

I've done Tequatl nearly every day for the past three years. I figure I've probably missed maybe 30-40 times due to real life, timing, vacations, etc. I got my first, and so far only, Tequatl Hoard chest a week ago. In comparison, I also do Triple Trouble nearly every day and have gotten four Piles of Regurgitated Armor in the same span of time.

Editing to add that I have gotten a good number of normal ascended weapon and armor chests from both bosses, though.

- — World Completion — -

17 // 42

• crepuscular.9047crepuscular.9047 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2020

took me around 4 years of doing Teq almost every day to get all 19 Teq hoards to unlock all skins, and i mystic toileted them into the antique weapons

The wiki isn't really up to date, you can get Ascended box from the rare dragon box, just even more extreme rng; and you can get Ascended armor box from Teq, rarer than weapon box

Teq still one of the best source to get ascended gears for filthy casuals like me, just 15min a day

i personally think it's fine, but the Scion's set at Dragon Fall is a pain in the butt to get

[RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]     [TTS] [KA] [SI]     [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]
    Praise the Inevitable Eternal Transcendent King Palawa Ignacious Joko, the Beloved and Feared Undying Eternal Monarch of All !!!
    ... til Aurene ate him for dessert 😭
  • Humor.5763Humor.5763 Member ✭✭

Guess I must be lucky.

I've done that dragon just once, noticed a mass group around the area while trying to finish the map. Killed it, and I got Teq's weapon box. Still not too sure if any of the weapons are good or not. So yay me I guess?

Kind of a Necro thread but meh, I wanted to see how rare it was.

• Aesir.3192Aesir.3192 Member ✭✭

@Jeknar.6184 said:

Same here, and I've done it almost daily (later years even on multiple accounts). 2016 or 2017 dropped my only Hoard. This alt never got anything at all.

I even hope they keep it this way, in honor of many veterans' indefatigable effort.

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

I give up on ever getting one years ago.
    Some things have such atrocious RNG rates that it's pretty much impossible for some people to obtain them.
    I could do teq every day for the next 10 years and I feel completely confident in saying that I still wouldn't get a horde drop.
    So why bother right?

• Super Hayes.6890Super Hayes.6890 Member ✭✭✭✭

😠 Still want one...

The next time you get angry at someone try walking a mile in their shoes. After that, who cares! You're a mile away and you have their shoes! -Someone with more awesome quotes than me

• I got a Broken Spoon drop today but no horde

• Fuchslein.8639Fuchslein.8639 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2021

I really don't understand why there are no collections where you can get these skins. Same with the Worm-ones.
    I mean, most people I know want them anyway just because they want everything complete. But I see almost no one running around with them. Where I wonder if that's because they drop so rarely and then maybe just to those who do not like the skins (have e.g. some worm drops, but I find them absolutely ugly) or the skins are generally more on the unpopular rail?

Either way, I don't understand why you make skins that aren't tradable anyway so extremely rare.
    Especially because they aren't even that special.
    Teq are just the same Asc weapons with a green shimmer. And for the worm you just get some armor parts that are just like asc stuff but smeared with green vomit from the worm.
    I would like to have the opportunity to trade rare drops with an IG-dealer or something.
    Have the worm only made a few times for the achievements and had the "luck" to get 2 chests with shoulders and bracers. But would exchange both immediately for invisible shoes. Where I did the meta every day for a whole year and then did the mushrooms and not a single good drop....

edited January 7, 2021

@Fuchslein.8639 said:
    I really don't understand why there are no collections where you can get these skins. Same with the Worm-ones.
    I mean, most people I know want them anyway just because they want everything complete. But I see almost no one running around with them. Where I wonder if that's because they drop so rarely and then maybe just to those who do not like the skins (have e.g. some worm drops, but I find them absolutely ugly) or the skins are generally more on the unpopular rail?

Either way, I don't understand why you make skins that aren't tradable anyway so extremely rare.
    Teq are just the same Asc weapons with a green shimmer. And for the worm you just get some armor parts that are just like asc stuff but smeared with green vomit from the worm.
    I would like to have the opportunity to trade rare drops with an IG-dealer or something.
    Have the worm only made a few times for the achievements and had the "luck" to get 2 chests with shoulders and bracers. But would exchange both immediately for invisible shoes. Where I did the meta every day for a whole year and then did the mushrooms and not a single good drop....

You forgot about the black smoke on the teq weapons right?
    Pretty sure the wurm armor got stink aura as well.

• Fuchslein.8639Fuchslein.8639 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2021

@Linken.6345 said:

@Fuchslein.8639 said:

Did not know that teq has an aura. Never drppt or seen one. The worm things definitely not. Unless you mean with aura the green wabber around the asc things what I mean with vomit.

• Sobx.1758Sobx.1758 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Fuchslein.8639 said:

Random is random. You can always skip the shroom rng by farming gold and buying the skin :D

• aspirine.6852aspirine.6852 Member ✭✭✭✭

Did it many times, only thing I got is the staff from it.. Still better than some getting nothing after doing it for so many times.

@Fuchslein.8639 said:

@Linken.6345 said:

@Fuchslein.8639 said:

Did not know that teq has an aura. Never drppt or seen one. The worm things definitely not. Unless you mean with aura the green wabber around the asc things what I mean with vomit.

Yea thats the same thing, you can look at picture in the wiki to see the black smoke, axe one is easy to spot.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tequatl's_Hoard

• Super Hayes.6890Super Hayes.6890 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm almost at the point where if I get one I'll destroy it in protest... Okay, that's not true but this is infuriating!

The next time you get angry at someone try walking a mile in their shoes. After that, who cares! You're a mile away and you have their shoes! -Someone with more awesome quotes than me

• @Super Hayes.6890 said:
    I'm almost at the point where if I get one I'll destroy it in protest... Okay, that's not true but this is infuriating!

That made me laugh... It literally took 6.5 years for one to finally drop for me....