These "Spoiler - Aurene" threads

Aodlop.1907

I don't know about you, but when I saw those titles before completing my own story, I instantly understood what the spoiler was. It's pretty obvious.Does the "spoiler" tag really help that much ? What's even the point ?Shouldn't such discussions just be moved to the "lore" subforum ?

I've been thinking the same. I found out fairly early on thanks to some friends (who know I don't mind spoilers) but I think if I didn't I could have guessed at what happens (at least the major points) just based on topic titles. Each individual one is fine, but with all the different ones together the dots start to connect and it's not a big leap to guess what they're hinting at. But it's still better than just saying it directly, especially since you probably need to be up to date on the story to get the hints.

It's difficult though because a lot of people will want to talk about it and I don't know about anyone else but I'm never sure what counts as a spoiler and what doesn't. I'm definitely at the far end of the spectrum: I not only don't mind spoilers (no matter how detailed) I actually prefer to know a bit about a story before I start so I go into it with the right mind set. Before I see a movie I like to at least know the genre and a rough plot outline so I know if I'm waiting for it to all kick off or if that's never going to happen and if it does whether they're trying to make me laugh, cry, leap out of my seat in terror or all of the above. (Which is really annoying when I have friends whose idea of telling me 'all about' a movie is to list a selection of the most famous people involved in making it and some awards it was nominated for.)

At the other extreme I once saw someone in map chat getting absolutely furious that someone had mentioned Taimi was in a particular story instance. Apparently that's a huge spoiler because it gives away that she doesn't die at any point before then. To my mind that's the default position - if a character is currently alive then you assume they will still be alive at the end of the story and it's only a surprise if they die. And of course some people won't watch trailers or read release announcements beyond the release date because it might give away information they don't want to find out early.

To further complicate matters it's not a linear progression. Different people have different ideas of what is and is not a spoiler. Some people don't mind knowing Dragon's Watch are involved, but don't want to know the map name or location. Other people think the opposite. Some only care about the story instances and think the open world cannot contain spoilers, but others don't want to know about the map until they get there. And so on.

I never know what's ok to mention and what isn't, although I try to emulate other people's approach to hopefully hit the right balance.

I get you love forums and social media so much but... You do realize the easiest solution right? Don't go on social media for a few days a week or however long it takes to finish the story if it pisses you off that much. I think you can handle some time off from it ^^. If you say you can't handle the time away then well.. That's a choice you make .

New story comes out .. anything that has to do with gw2 on forums, facebook , twitter, i skip past, scroll by. Because there is probably a post of something about the new episode

@"Orion Templar.4589" said:My practice is that when a new episode is released, to disable map chat and avoid the forums until I've completed the story.

That is the best tactic. I finished the story pretty fast, but I still got quite upset when I would see someone coming out of the last story instance and instantly start spamming the map chat like this:

Player: "WTF?!?"Player: "Are you SERIOUS, ANet!??? [insert spoiler]"Player: "How could you do this to us!"Player: "Man, that sucks..."(etc.)

@Kameko.8314 said:I get you love forums and social media so much but... You do realize the easiest solution right? Don't go on social media for a few days a week or however long it takes to finish the story if it pisses you off that much. I think you can handle some time off from it ^^. If you say you can't handle the time away then well.. That's a choice you make .

New story comes out .. anything that has to do with gw2 on forums, facebook , twitter, i skip past, scroll by. Because there is probably a post of something about the new episode

Yeah, but that didn't stop the idiot who blurted it out in map chat over and over when I was doing the story, then blamed his friend who whispered the news to him. People will get you no matter how careful you are.

Archived