Is there a way to add voice com for commanders in wvw

deth.8304

I've been thinking about this for quite some time and I haven't been the only one is there a way to make a specific voice channel for commanders and ppl given permissions by the commanders to talk in this voice chat this way we will eliminate the whole pug problem and commanders having a easyer time .

The hot key squad and ally commands are already underused but those say pretty much anything a pug commander is going to call out that pugs will actually be able to follow. They're simple, fast, and visually and audibly noticeable in a fight. The issue is if the commander is a goober no one is going to bother listening to them and they'll do their own thing anyway, pugs mostly just do what they're going to do even if the commander is good.

Integrating voice into GW2 (even using some other company's API) means ANet becomes responsible for voice uptime and what people say in voice. There's a lot of extra maintenance responsibility, without much benefit for them as a company. Far easier to let people pick & choose their own voice systems; those already have provisions to restrict who can talk versus who can just listen.

Plus, I can guarantee that even if the game was fully integrated, commanders wouldn't have an easier time: there are always going to people who don't avail themselves of voice, refuse to join, or otherwise avoid communicating.

Use teamspeak! Channel commander when you work with commanders on different battlegrounds and private cc coms when on the same map. Communications is the key. As far as Discord I don't think you can communicate with other commanders yet. If players don't want to use it then so be it.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:My major concern would be lag. And only that.

An in game voice service that was server/world specific would be great.

I know many of us use discord (and some use TS), but if it could be worked out without lag, I would like it.I think discord/ts work just fine and that ingame voice is not required nor needed, but this argument is a little silly. The internet doesnt work like that, otherwise we would already be lagging. Plenty of games has ingame voice - in terms of lag its no different than running discord/ts in the background. We do that all the time, with 50+ connected people. The services would obviously run separately, just how WvW lagging doesnt make the trading post slow or PvE metas start to lag WvW.

The only way it would lag is if you have a 33kbps connection or something and it cant handle the amount of incoming traffic.

But the thing is... Anet would have to code everything. And it would be bad compared to other apps, guaranteed. Thats why most devs choose not to do it. There is no concern about doing it, its just... pointless and a waste of time.

@deth.8304 said:I've been thinking about this for quite some time and I haven't been the only one is there a way to make a specific voice channel for commanders and ppl given permissions by the commanders to talk in this voice chat this way we will eliminate the whole pug problem and commanders having a easyer time .

How do you mean that it will get people to join voice commanders more, when there is an in-game option? In oppose to now where there already is offered free, easy accecable voice programs in use, and still most refuse to use it.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

I know many of us use discord (and some use TS), but if it could be worked out without lag, I would like it.I think discord/ts work just fine and that ingame voice is not required nor needed, but this argument is a little silly. The internet doesnt work like that, otherwise we would already be lagging. Plenty of games has ingame voice - in terms of lag its no different than running discord/ts in the background. We do that all the time, with 50+ connected people. The services would obviously run separately, just how WvW lagging doesnt make the trading post slow or PvE metas start to lag WvW.

The only way it would lag is if you have a 33kbps connection or something and it cant handle the amount of incoming traffic.

But the thing is... Anet would have to code everything. And it would be bad compared to other apps, guaranteed. Thats why most devs choose not to do it. There is no concern about doing it, its just... pointless and a waste of time.

Ahh. I was thinking that the more data an individual program has to send back and forth, the increased chance for lag.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

Ahh. I was thinking that the more data an individual program has to send back and forth, the increased chance for lag.

Well you know Windows 10/Linux/whatever OS is technically an individual program running on your computer to begin with :p

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Well you know Windows 10/Linux/whatever OS is technically an individual program running on your computer to begin with :p

Ok. Smart - kittenery - is respected here. :hushed:

Archived