New Player (No server choosen) LF Advice

Tarnivan.4807

I am tired of WoW, want to try something new. GW2 looks interesting but I will be a starting from scratch.I would like to find a group of people that are willing to take on a new player.I am EST and have a working mic and willing to be in voice chat.Any advice on class or race is welcome. Was thinking Human Thief.

Thanks for your time.

Since the forums can be a bit slow in the morning, here some advice for you to be able to get right into the game:

• servers are not important for pve, there is a megaserver system in place
  • server pick is only important in relations to World versus World. Considering an alliance system is scheduled, even this might become uninportant
  • changing servers is free of charge if you have no characters

Given this information, I would recommend following steps:

• do NOT use you character level 80 boosts yet. There are many reasons as to why not to boost your first character, in your case being able to delete a character to maybe change server if desired is an added bonus
  • use the next few hours to mess around with class/race combinations
  • get a feel for the classes and try to find one you might enjoy. Maybe play some to level 10-20 though be advised, that is very early in their developement and might not be indicative of their game play

Then once you find a guild, group, etc. decide on what to play finally. Or just go at it asap. There is no right or wrong here.

I wouldn't suggest thief as a first character: something like warrior, guardian , ranger is much more forgiving. In addition , they're typically sought after classes.

Mesmer was recently nerfed, but even before that they aren't that intuitive when playing core.

Elementalist is similarly difficult as a new player unless you run more defensive stats.

Classes such as engineer , necromancer , and revenant really need their elite spec. Core engineer is typically played as condition damage.

Welcome to Tyria! I'm sure you'll get offers of help once the US forumers wake up. There are quite a few guilds and individual in both regions dedicated to helping new players, or simply playing with them. You can also look for guilds to join in-game.

@Infusion.7149 said:I wouldn't suggest thief as a first character: something like warrior, guardian , ranger is much more forgiving. In addition , they're typically sought after classes.

Mesmer was recently nerfed, but even before that they aren't that intuitive when playing core.

Elementalist is similarly difficult as a new player unless you run more defensive stats.

Classes such as engineer , necromancer , and revenant really need their elite spec. Core engineer is typically played as condition damage.

You're absolutely right that those are more forgiving classes which are easier for new players to use, but I don't think that necessarily means they're the best choice. IMO the most important thing is to pick a class which is fun, even if it's harder to play. For some people it doesn't matter if every fight is easy if it's also boring (in fact that might make it worse) and they'd actually prefer a more difficult profession. Or they just prefer the playstyle - I know a few people who play thief who say they hate playing other professions because the cool downs and the lack of the initiative mechanic make everything feel slow.

(Having said that Tarnivan, it's always worth bearing in mind there are easier options available if you are struggling.)

Here's a few other things which might be useful for you to know, if you're not already aware of them:

• Race in this game is almost entirely cosmetic. It determines which map you start in, your level 10, 20 and 30 storylines, some dialogue and choices throughout the story and a small selection of racial skills (but those are rarely used because none of them are as good as the profession skills). It has no effect on your stats or which professions you can or should choose - every race can be every profession and they're all equally good at it.
  • Incidentally classes in this game are called professions. Crafting professions are also called professions. Everyone will know what you mean if you say class, but I know some people coming from WoW have found that confusing.
  • As you might already know GW2 has no quests outside of the main story. Instead there's 'renown hearts' which are always available and about helping NPCs in a specific area, and dynamic events which are like quests but will start, progress and end regardless of whether anyone is joining in and can impact the area - for example a town might shift from enemy to ally control after an event...or might be taken over by enemies if no one helped defend it. You don't need to speak to NPCs to start either, but you can do if you want more information on what they want you to do and why.
  • There is no kill or loot stealing in this game and PvE is almost entirely cooperative. Which means if you see a heart or event or anything else you want to join in with you can jump straight in without worrying about who else is around. Any loot which drops is yours - everyone else gets their own which you won't see.

Finally the Wiki (link at the top of the page) is a great resource, but people are also pretty helpful so feel free to ask about anything you don't understand, either here or in-game. :)

@"Danikat.8537" said:

• Incidentally classes in this game are called professions. Crafting professions are also called professions. Everyone will know what you mean if you say class, but I know some people coming from WoW have found that confusing.

The wiki says that crafts are called "disciplines", not "professions".

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crafting

As for your first character...go with whatever you want. If you're attracted to the Thief class, go with it, by all means. I love my P/P Thief; she rips mobs to pieces...pew, pew, pew! A lot of people will tell you to go with one of the "easier" classes, like Ranger, Necromancer, or Warrior...these are all great classes for beginners, but don't be afraid to go with any of the other classes, either - the simple truth is that you're going to die, and you're going to die a lot, no matter which profession you choose, until you learn how to play your chosen class/build...so, you might as well spend your time learning how to play the class that you want.

Pro-tip: learn how and when to dodge/evade, as soon as possible, and make a habit of it...this, more than anything else, will reduce the number of downs/deaths that you experience in your GW2 life.

Something else to consider...When you reach level 80 you're going to want to start crafting some ascended armor and weapons for your character. For this you'll need as many 'Spirit Shards' as you can get your hands on - after you reach level 80, a good source for Spirit Shards is the 'Tome of Knowledge'. Now, you will begin receiving these Tomes as rewards from story missions and from daily login rewards...you can use them to level your character faster (use the 'Tome of Mentorship' instead), OR you can use them to acquire the Spirit Shards that you'll need for your ascended gear. It would be far better and far wiser for you to use them later for Spirit Shards. Choosing this route has two primary benefits: first, you'll have more time to practice and work with you character and, as a result, you'll be much better prepared to face the challenges that lie beyond level 80...elsewise, the mobs at level 80, especially the ones in the expansions, will simply snatch you up by the throat, slap you around, toss you on the ground and monkey-stomp you to death! The second benefit is, of course, the Spirit Shards themselves.

Good luck and have fun!

An out-of-game tip: This depends on your keyboard control skills. If you're great at piano playing and completely comfortable with using WASD while also pressing hotkeys and are happy to use keybinds that involve multiple combo keys, ignore this.

But if you have slower reflexes like me or other reasons why accurately hitting a lot of different keys at once is an issue, try a mouse with some side buttons. After the first beta weekend I ordered a Naga HEX and mapped the arrow keys to the side buttons. I'm on my third HEX now and I think I literally couldn't play the game without that feature. All my moving is with my right hand on my mouse and all my skill use is with my left hand (usually just one finger thereof) on my keyboard. It makes some timed jumping puzzles harder as my mouse steering can move the mouse off the mouse pad, but it's a small price to pay for proper mobility.

Because moving during fights is very important. Almost no skills root you, so you want to be in constant motion out of danger areas while firing off your attacks, and dodging the big stuff you can't run out of. (I had 7 years in WoW. After experiencing casting on the move, I couldn't abide fighting with my belf mage ever again).

Hope that helps.

I started the game way back during Beta weekend. I loved the game and played a guardian up to level 80. I am a pretty 'bad' player, but like Guild Wars more than any other MMORPG game I have played. I am returning to the game... and wanted to say THANK YOU to all of you that offer your advice here....:)

Archived