Leveling area

@"RiverSong.6812" said:So, I got my character up to level 17 but when I went to one of the level 15-25 areas everything was scaled at level 20 or higher. What’s the best place to go after level 15?

1. You can stay where you are, and still get a lot of XP from events spawning on the map.
  2. Complete maps of a few cities (visit everything on them), that will give tons of XP, with little efforts
  3. Do your personal story, it gives a lot of XP and rewards
  4. Buy better equipment at market (press "O") - it's farely cheap and usually better than one you get from monsters - and try again those maps with higher lvs than yours. If it's just 2-5 lvs higher, you actually may survive, depending on your mechanical skills

@"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:Also, you can see if you can enter the 15-25 map at a different point - most maps have a sort of progression from one end toward another, this means a third entrance can be "in the middle"

The classic mistake of that type is going first into Kessex Hills from Queensdale through the entrance behind Claypool (by Fort Salma in Kessex = level 20+) rather than through the entrance south of the swamp (near the bandits across from the fort in eastern Kessex = level 15+).

EDIT: I believe there's something similar between Ashford and Diessa for charr, but not for Norn (Wayfarer/Snowden) and Sylvari/Asura (one entrance each to Brisban).

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:Also, you can see if you can enter the 15-25 map at a different point - most maps have a sort of progression from one end toward another, this means a third entrance can be "in the middle"

The classic mistake of that type is going first into Kessex Hills from Queensdale through the entrance behind Claypool (by Fort Salma in Kessex = level 20+) rather than through the entrance south of the swamp (near the bandits across from the fort in eastern Kessex = level 15+).

EDIT: I believe there's something similar between Ashford and Diessa for charr, but not for Norn (Wayfarer/Snowden) and Sylvari/Asura (one entrance each to Brisban).

I'm thinking from Norn to Charr - Northern Wayfarer Foothills into NW Diessa Plateu, but can't remember the level ranges involved.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:Also, you can see if you can enter the 15-25 map at a different point - most maps have a sort of progression from one end toward another, this means a third entrance can be "in the middle"

I'm thinking from Norn to Charr - Northern Wayfarer Foothills into NW Diessa Plateu, but can't remember the level ranges involved.

That leads to Halrunting Plains which is level 17 according to the Wiki, so it's not mega stressful. You could also go NE Caledon => S Kessex (Viathan Shore ==> level 24+) and have problems as well. The Claypool => Fort Salma one is personal experience from September 2012, when my wife levelled her character a bit ahead of mine, and I went to join her in that part of Kessex before I was even level 20. That wasn't the brightest thing I ever did.

I'll have to put something here as I have had some errata going from 1-15 to 15-25:

Bonus tip: It's perfectly okay to jump to another starting zone -- you won't lose on experience, but you will be downscaled.

• Going from Metrica/Caledon: Brisban Wildlands gives you closer to 15. From Caledon to Kessex, you might be in the 20s.
  • Going from Ascalon to Diessa Plateau: I recommend going up through Wayfarer Foothills to Diessa, you'll get ~16; from Black Citadel, you will hit 17-18; from Ashford, you'll hit 20+ (unless you accidentally use the one near Ascalon City, that goes to Iron Marches 55+)
  • From Queensdale to Kessex Hills: take the Swamplost Haven exit, or ignore tasks going through Claypool exit, cut west and go into Brisban (18+)
  • From Wayfarer Foothills: Snowden Drifts and aforementioned Diessa Plateau puts you in 16+

If you feel you're not leveled enough, read the shiny bold! It's okay to be a bit overleveled, as downscaling still keeps things challenging, but it's not okay to be underleveled. Do some events in the earlier zones for experience/coin/karma. But in general, if you're not comfortable yet with the new area, wait until you get a few levels and you have better equipment to match. Fine 2-stat equipment start showing up at Lv.21.

This. Sometimes you find that the "natural" progression pushes you into a part of a zone somewhat away from where the lowest mobs are. The one I definitely remember this from is Kessex Hills coming in from the south as a Sylvari. Much smoother from the north as a human.

Archived