General Class tier list for 2019 for returnees/newplayers — Guild Wars 2 Forums

General Class tier list for 2019 for returnees/newplayers

Hello friends, is there a class tier list that is updated for the latest patch? I just returned and have several characters with good gear but not sure which to invest time into first.
Genuinly curious, not out to start a heated debate, simply looking for updated knowledge.

Thanks

Comments

  • What kind of tier list are you looking for? What game mode?

    From a PvE perspective I can give you a list of professions sorted by how often they are requested in groups:
    1. Mesmer (Chronomancer) either as a tank or support is highly sought for.
    2. Ranger (Druid) as a healer.
    3. Warrior as a banner slave.
    4. All other professions as damage dealers.

    While this list works for group content, it doesn't really matter what you play in open world. WvW has a completely different list and I guess PvP doesn't matter here because you don't need to gear a PvP character.

    No skin should be exclusive to gem-store rng boxes.
    What really happened with mount skins

  • Toby.2357Toby.2357 Member ✭✭
    edited January 19, 2019

    @BunjiKugashira.9754 said:
    What kind of tier list are you looking for? What game mode?

    From a PvE perspective I can give you a list of professions sorted by how often they are requested in groups:
    1. Mesmer (Chronomancer) either as a tank or support is highly sought for.
    2. Ranger (Druid) as a healer.
    3. Warrior as a banner slave.
    4. All other professions as damage dealers.

    While this list works for group content, it doesn't really matter what you play in open world. WvW has a completely different list and I guess PvP doesn't matter here because you don't need to gear a PvP character.

    Thanks for the list it seems to be more or less like you mentioned. Ive done some research and it seems like the powerlevels of professions are diffrent depending on game modes. Although mesmers, holo's(im guessing engineer spec), spellbreaker, druid and soulbeast seem to be allways high on list on each of the game modes. And after doing some more research i've found out that the professions are fairly balanced and each profession has a specialization thats meta in one or more game modes, a surprise to be sure, but a welcomed one.
    Reddit posts by ''high ranked elitists'' suggests that individual player skill plays a large role in current gw2 pvp meta, thus meaning its up to each individual player to find the profession they are most comfortable with and ''git gud'' with it.

    I was just wondering about the general versatility and popularity of each proffession. Such as which proffessions offer the most comfort and specializations where you can jump from one game mode to another without feeling less useful. But at this point ive come to conclusion that there is no 1 profession that is ez and overpowered like the warriors pre-HoT used to be, then again i might be wrong. Some professions such as revenant, elementalist and necromancers seem to have a higher skill ceiling while yielding better results then others when you master them. I suppose i'll just experiment and find the profession im most comfortable with.

    this site gives a general idea of popularity of each profession, other sources are either 3 to 8months old or inaccurate.
    https://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki

  • gateless gate.8406gateless gate.8406 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2019

    PVE (raids, fractals):
    support chrono
    support druid
    banner warrior
    almost all elite DPS specs (scrapper is unwanted, herald is kinda unwanted)

    PVP:
    (no particular order)
    holo
    mirage
    scourge
    firebrand
    core guardian
    reaper
    core thief or deadeye
    soulbeast
    herald
    spellbreaker

    WvW:
    not an expert, but from what I hear:
    scourge
    firebrand support
    hammer herald
    staff weaver

  • Toby.2357Toby.2357 Member ✭✭

    These are great lists, its pretty accurate comparing with other lists old and new.
    Thanks everyone for taking the time

  • DanAlcedo.3281DanAlcedo.3281 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @gateless gate.8406 said:
    PVE (raids, fractals):
    support chrono
    support druid
    banner warrior
    almost all elite DPS specs (scrapper is unwanted, herald is kinda unwanted)

    PVP:
    (no particular order)
    holo
    mirage
    scourge
    firebrand
    core guardian
    reaper
    core thief or deadeye
    soulbeast
    herald
    spellbreaker

    WvW:
    not an expert, but from what I hear:
    scourge
    firebrand support
    hammer herald
    staff weaver

    Can confirm the WvW meta.

    Scourge
    Firebrand
    Herald
    Weaver

    Maybe Spellbreaker, but are seen alot less these days.

  • I really want to get into support pve but i don’t know on which class

  • DanAlcedo.3281DanAlcedo.3281 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2019

    @Tataienstein.7581 said:
    I really want to get into support pve but i don’t know on which class

    The choices are:
    Support Chrono
    Quickness Firebrand
    Alacrity Renegade
    Heal Druid

  • Tataienstein.7581Tataienstein.7581 Member ✭✭
    edited February 12, 2019

    @DanAlcedo.3281 said:

    @Tataienstein.7581 said:
    I really want to get into support pve but i don’t know on which class

    The choices are:
    Support Chrono
    Quickness Firebrand
    Alacrity Renegade
    Heal Druid

    I know all of those can, But since we are talking about tier list and such...
    In-game alot of people says DRUUUIDD!!!!
    But on forum people druid are useless in t4... im so lost
    I just want to ''carry'' my inexperienced friends into t4

  • steki.1478steki.1478 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Tataienstein.7581 said:

    @DanAlcedo.3281 said:

    @Tataienstein.7581 said:
    I really want to get into support pve but i don’t know on which class

    The choices are:
    Support Chrono
    Quickness Firebrand
    Alacrity Renegade
    Heal Druid

    I know all of those can, But since we are talking about tier list and such...
    In-game alot of people says DRUUUIDD!!!!
    But on forum people druid are useless in t4... im so lost
    I just want to ''carry'' my inexperienced friends into t4

    Doesn't get better than scourge then. It can carry literally anyone.

  • gateless gate.8406gateless gate.8406 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2019

    @Tataienstein.7581 said:

    @DanAlcedo.3281 said:

    @Tataienstein.7581 said:
    I really want to get into support pve but i don’t know on which class

    The choices are:
    Support Chrono
    Quickness Firebrand
    Alacrity Renegade
    Heal Druid

    I know all of those can, But since we are talking about tier list and such...
    In-game alot of people says DRUUUIDD!!!!
    But on forum people druid are useless in t4... im so lost
    I just want to ''carry'' my inexperienced friends into t4

    Where are you seeing people say druids are useless on the forums? Their healing was nerfed a while back but they're still good support, and they still bring spirits.

    If you're looking to carry your friends, I would recommend scourge or firebrand.

  • Tataienstein.7581Tataienstein.7581 Member ✭✭
    edited February 12, 2019

    @gateless gate.8406 said:

    @Tataienstein.7581 said:

    @DanAlcedo.3281 said:

    @Tataienstein.7581 said:
    I really want to get into support pve but i don’t know on which class

    The choices are:
    Support Chrono
    Quickness Firebrand
    Alacrity Renegade
    Heal Druid

    I know all of those can, But since we are talking about tier list and such...
    In-game alot of people says DRUUUIDD!!!!
    But on forum people druid are useless in t4... im so lost
    I just want to ''carry'' my inexperienced friends into t4

    Where are you seeing people say druids are useless on the forums? Their healing was nerfed a while back but they're still good support, and they still bring spirits.

    If you're looking to carry your friends, I would recommend scourge or firebrand.

    everywhere tbh but maby its QQ right after they were nerf adn people were pissed.
    almost every healer discussion since nerf

  • kasoki.5180kasoki.5180 Member ✭✭✭

    Druid is still the go to support/healer for PUGs. But if you want to carry your friend healer/support firebrand or scourge are great options

  • @kasoki.5180 said:
    Druid is still the go to support/healer for PUGs. But if you want to carry your friend healer/support firebrand or scourge are great options

    @Tataienstein.7581 said:

    @gateless gate.8406 said:

    @Tataienstein.7581 said:

    @DanAlcedo.3281 said:

    @Tataienstein.7581 said:
    I really want to get into support pve but i don’t know on which class

    The choices are:
    Support Chrono
    Quickness Firebrand
    Alacrity Renegade
    Heal Druid

    I know all of those can, But since we are talking about tier list and such...
    In-game alot of people says DRUUUIDD!!!!
    But on forum people druid are useless in t4... im so lost
    I just want to ''carry'' my inexperienced friends into t4

    Where are you seeing people say druids are useless on the forums? Their healing was nerfed a while back but they're still good support, and they still bring spirits.

    If you're looking to carry your friends, I would recommend scourge or firebrand.

    everywhere tbh but maby its QQ right after they were nerf adn people were pissed.
    almost every healer discussion since nerf

    This is what i have for support FB build : https://discretize.eu/builds/guardian/hybrid-firebrand
    Is that the build you guys are refering to? Fibrebrand support / heal but in berserker gear?

  • kasoki.5180kasoki.5180 Member ✭✭✭

    @Tataienstein.7581 said:

    @kasoki.5180 said:
    Druid is still the go to support/healer for PUGs. But if you want to carry your friend healer/support firebrand or scourge are great options

    @Tataienstein.7581 said:

    @gateless gate.8406 said:

    @Tataienstein.7581 said:

    @DanAlcedo.3281 said:

    @Tataienstein.7581 said:
    I really want to get into support pve but i don’t know on which class

    The choices are:
    Support Chrono
    Quickness Firebrand
    Alacrity Renegade
    Heal Druid

    I know all of those can, But since we are talking about tier list and such...
    In-game alot of people says DRUUUIDD!!!!
    But on forum people druid are useless in t4... im so lost
    I just want to ''carry'' my inexperienced friends into t4

    Where are you seeing people say druids are useless on the forums? Their healing was nerfed a while back but they're still good support, and they still bring spirits.

    If you're looking to carry your friends, I would recommend scourge or firebrand.

    everywhere tbh but maby its QQ right after they were nerf adn people were pissed.
    almost every healer discussion since nerf

    This is what i have for support FB build : https://discretize.eu/builds/guardian/hybrid-firebrand
    Is that the build you guys are refering to? Fibrebrand support / heal but in berserker gear?

    Nope. If you are going for berserker/diviner gear you are going for power DPS and support.

    Heal support is more like this (hastily created)
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVEQNAneWnsADlBhNCDGBDEEhF+BDLAMDKC7Z0P6JNbClh+BA-jxhXABbrEEg9HoXfg/q/E6pAQ3nAgcK/IFwujsA-e

    This is for fractals with the assumption you are going to use fractal potions which increase your attributes aditionally.
    Your utility skills are pretty changable depending on preference and situation. You can use Merciful intervention, Signet of Mercy or Bow of Truth. Wall of Reflection is also a solid choice in certain situations.

    Gear is combination of Harrier and Magi to get most of your concentration and healing power. But you will free to decide on how you are going to arrange them depending on what you need. Note that Firebrand doesnt actually need 100% boon duration for quickness but it helps for your other boons like fury, regen, protection and aegis.

    For weapons you can go with mace, axe or staff. Axe has solid dps, grants fury and has a great pull ability. Mace is solid for healing but requires positioning and is a bit clunky to use since its healing comes from third skill in AA chain. I would honestly recommend staff since it feels more reliable and allows you to better position your heals.

  • Yannir.4132Yannir.4132 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @mortrialus.3062 said:
    PvP

    SS Tier (Few if any real weaknesses. No counters. Top tier team carry potential.)
    Boonbeast variants of Soulbeast

    S Tier (Top tier builds with few modest weaknesses, versatile but fall behind SS Tier in both 1v1 potential and team carry potential)
    Condition Mirage
    Holosmith

    A Tier (Excellent builds with some clear weaknesses and counters that can be bypassed by skilled players)
    Power Mirage
    Core Guardian
    Power Reaper
    Spellbreaker

    B Tier (Strong builds with clear weaknesses that require either very high skill to surpass or synergy with other classes to overcome)
    Shiro Herald
    SD Core Thief
    Firebrand Support
    Condition Scourge
    Chronomancer
    Deadeye
    Sic Em Boonbeast

    C Tier (Builds that have moderate play making potential but are weighed down by their weaknesses)
    SD Weaver
    Druid
    Scrapper
    Core Necromancer
    Core Warrior
    Support Tempest
    DP Daredevil

    D Tier (Bad builds that can catch some players off guard but are generally really bad)
    Fresh Air Ele
    Gun Flame Berserker

    F Tier
    Basically everything else.

    This list is pretty valid for SoloQ but not for organized teams. The 4 first builds in the B-tier are considered tournament Meta along with a duelist, likely a Boonbeast.
    I would also drop Reaper and Core Necro 1 step lower respectfully, and raise DP Daredevil 1 step higher.

  • mortrialus.3062mortrialus.3062 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2019

    @Yannir.4132 said:

    @mortrialus.3062 said:
    PvP

    SS Tier (Few if any real weaknesses. No counters. Top tier team carry potential.)
    Boonbeast variants of Soulbeast

    S Tier (Top tier builds with few modest weaknesses, versatile but fall behind SS Tier in both 1v1 potential and team carry potential)
    Condition Mirage
    Holosmith

    A Tier (Excellent builds with some clear weaknesses and counters that can be bypassed by skilled players)
    Power Mirage
    Core Guardian
    Power Reaper
    Spellbreaker

    B Tier (Strong builds with clear weaknesses that require either very high skill to surpass or synergy with other classes to overcome)
    Shiro Herald
    SD Core Thief
    Firebrand Support
    Condition Scourge
    Chronomancer
    Deadeye
    Sic Em Boonbeast

    C Tier (Builds that have moderate play making potential but are weighed down by their weaknesses)
    SD Weaver
    Druid
    Scrapper
    Core Necromancer
    Core Warrior
    Support Tempest
    DP Daredevil

    D Tier (Bad builds that can catch some players off guard but are generally really bad)
    Fresh Air Ele
    Gun Flame Berserker

    F Tier
    Basically everything else.

    This list is pretty valid for SoloQ but not for organized teams. The 4 first builds in the B-tier are considered tournament Meta along with a duelist, likely a Boonbeast.
    I would also drop Reaper and Core Necro 1 step lower respectfully, and raise DP Daredevil 1 step higher.

    It's 100% made with soloQ in mind. Like literally 0 thoughts regarding ATs when making that list because I just never play them. I probably should have mentioned that.

    The Psychomancer: Mesmer Elite Specialization Suggestion

  • Tails.9372Tails.9372 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2019

    I don't think there's any point in categorizing based on class. If anything it should be based on build (assuming that the build in question is designed to properly (as much as possible) synergize with the associated weapon set) as this is the main factor determining what the player actually does and "how good" something can be.

  • Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2019

    @Tataienstein.7581 said:

    @DanAlcedo.3281 said:

    @Tataienstein.7581 said:
    I really want to get into support pve but i don’t know on which class

    The choices are:
    Support Chrono
    Quickness Firebrand
    Alacrity Renegade
    Heal Druid

    I know all of those can, But since we are talking about tier list and such...
    In-game alot of people says DRUUUIDD!!!!
    But on forum people druid are useless in t4... im so lost
    I just want to ''carry'' my inexperienced friends into t4

    Any of the support builds will be able to "carry" your friends. If you aren't experienced enough to differentiate between the builds, you have a long way to go before you can carry others.

    The run down is this:
    It will take you a long time to get to T4. At the very least it will take your friends a long time to get used to T4 (especially if you start on that tier). Use that time to familiarize yourself with the game and which classes you enjoy. Then decide on which class you want to play and which support classes are to your liking.

    That is without even considering balance patches, of which there is one coming up next week Tuesday.

    I get it. You want "the best" build/class. The answer to that is: there is none. Balance is continuously shifting and which class works best would depend on what classes the group has. Overall, any of the support builds (even healing tempest and healing scraper) can do the job.

  • Tataienstein.7581Tataienstein.7581 Member ✭✭
    edited February 20, 2019

    @Cyninja.2954 said:

    @Tataienstein.7581 said:

    @DanAlcedo.3281 said:

    @Tataienstein.7581 said:
    I really want to get into support pve but i don’t know on which class

    The choices are:
    Support Chrono
    Quickness Firebrand
    Alacrity Renegade
    Heal Druid

    I know all of those can, But since we are talking about tier list and such...
    In-game alot of people says DRUUUIDD!!!!
    But on forum people druid are useless in t4... im so lost
    I just want to ''carry'' my inexperienced friends into t4

    Any of the support builds will be able to "carry" your friends. If you aren't experienced enough to differentiate between the builds, you have a long way to go before you can carry others.

    The run down is this:
    It will take you a long time to get to T4. At the very least it will take your friends a long time to get used to T4 (especially if you start on that tier). Use that time to familiarize yourself with the game and which classes you enjoy. Then decide on which class you want to play and which support classes are to your liking.

    That is without even considering balance patches, of which there is one coming up next week Tuesday.

    I get it. You want "the best" build/class. The answer to that is: there is none. Balance is continuously shifting and which class works best would depend on what classes the group has. Overall, any of the support builds (even healing tempest and healing scraper) can do the job.

    I mean... i have light medium and heavy 100% ascended with two legendary armor but ok. I just switch alot and running t4 on anything but i don’t know anything about comp.
    So i tought i could be able to carry (t3 or t4) and get them used to it.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.