Why are warrior gap closers so bad?

Vancho.8750

Why are all so low range and usually don't connect?All the weapon gap closers feel slow and bad to use, the only reliable gap closers seem to be Bull rush and the sword one, and they dont seem that good.After playing Guard, rev, thief or even ranger ,warrior feels really sluggish. Getting randomly cc while doing hammer or axe burst feels horrible. Maybe that's why everyone is nailed to GS cause at least it moves to the direction you want.

Because they are not shadowsteps or other sorts of blinks and arenanets spagetthi code doesnt allow smooth movement like that. Also what do you think would happen if that 5k rush would connect reliably? Dayumn all the tears by pvp beginners because a warrior is running at them from far away and hits them for 5k. Unbelievable, this demands a nerf. Undodgeable.

Because warrior is the least played class, that is why Anet does not even bother to give warriors a quality of life update.Why would they spend countless hours of coding and effort to a class that people will not play?The money making machines are mesmers, thieves, necros and guardians!

If people started playing warriors and complain about the state of warriors skills, then Anet will for sure do something about it, but I doubt people will start to play warriors because people want to press buttons and deal damage. Almost nobody wants to melee combat because it requires great skill to set up combos within 130 range against classes that can teleport, evade, stunbreak, invulnerability, etc...

• This is one of the reason why i still prefer dagger in pvp instead of axe. Even though dagger hits like wet noodle at least it still hits.

• This is exactly why im stuck with GS and dagger..and why i can't use any other weapons in pvp as warrior. (ofc its not only reason GS = mobility / dagger = interrupt/stun)

• And why ppl use short sword ? because good dash but that's all right ? And why bother with dashing to target for omg op 5k crit when you can put ppl down instantly with 1200-1500 range.. 20k+ crits.

• Only reason why warrior is somehow useful in pvp is sustain. it's still pretty decent with defence trait line.

@"Hitman.5829" said:Because warrior is the least played class, that is why Anet does not even bother to give warriors a quality of life update.Why would they spend countless hours of coding and effort to a class that people will not play?The money making machines are mesmers, thieves, necros and guardians!

If people started playing warriors and complain about the state of warriors skills, then Anet will for sure do something about it, but I doubt people will start to play warriors because people want to press buttons and deal damage. Almost nobody wants to melee combat because it requires great skill to set up combos within 130 range against classes that can teleport, evade, stunbreak, invulnerability, etc...

Warrior is actually not the least played class... Its actually still one of the most played classes...https://gw2efficiency.com/account/player-statistics

@RedShark.9548 said:

@"Hitman.5829" said:Because warrior is the least played class, that is why Anet does not even bother to give warriors a quality of life update.Why would they spend countless hours of coding and effort to a class that people will not play?The money making machines are mesmers, thieves, necros and guardians!

Warrior is actually not the least played class... Its actually still one of the most played classes...

cough cough, black lion key farm.cough cough, human story the shortest one to complete,cough cough, warrior class the easiers to complete due to leaps, close gaps and DPS.cough cough, black lion key reward in under 20 min.

Unfortunately those numbers do not portrait the reality of warriors in WvW and PvP.And for a good measure, just look at the forum. Go to profession tab and see how many discussions are there in the warrior forum.

Guardian and warrior are the least discussed, and just look at the discussions on the warrior forum, its to nerf this or that...The truth is warrior is one of the least played classes and the forum discussion corroborates that.

People ask for Warrior nerfs because, as someone I know phrased it, "Warrior is a stupid check for players".

Aka when a player fights a Warrior, that player's inept or lacking mechanical skill and understanding is showcased in a glaringly obvious way. The players that have the most difficulty with Warriors are the ones who double dodge for no reason, those who dodge auto attacks, those who waste cooldowns too soon, those who don't watch for animations, those who play painfully predictably and get either one shot or killed in 5 seconds.

I cannot count the number of times I have run into some random Soulbeast, or Ranger in general, who will dodge Rush, then dodge again and then either use Signet of Stone or Lightning Reflexes before I've even used any of my important skills. I then proceed to just block their Rapid Fire, gap close again or cripple them with Axe 3 or GS 4 and then CC chain them and land a burst skill that either ends them or puts them on about 3% health. Then you see people like them go "Ugh Warrior is too much" and I have to sit here bewildered and think "What are you talking about? You literally handed that fight to me because you're newer to PvP or not great at it and lack an understanding of mechanics".

You see this all the time when you start to learn either through roaming in WvW or fighting actual good players that landing a burst skill is not easy, maintaining your sustain is not easy and you will often be out kited as they intentionally proc your passive defenses and just wait them out to then unleash destruction on you. I frequently have to resort to baiting either gap closers or biding my time for an animation I know I can land CC or a burst through provided they lack Stability or another defense that is active (invuln, block, evade, etc). People say the Passives on Warrior carry them, I find them to be a hindrance because I can't necessarily control when my Last Stand procs without needing to dodge every CC, I can't control Defy Pain if I happen to get caught by said CC and get nailed with massive damage because they force proc'd Last Stand and exhausted my stability; which for me to avoid that I'd need to use Endure Pain, assuming its on my bar, which exhausts another stunbreak and only buys time before I likely get knocked down to 50% health soon after and Defy Pain ends up proccing. Then they just kite or defend or dodge so I can't land a burst skill and regain any health, or they interrupt Mending or To the Limit if you cast it.

But noooo Warrior is too OP.

@"KryTiKaL.3125" said:People ask for Warrior nerfs because, as someone I know phrased it, "Warrior is a stupid check for players".

Aka when a player fights a Warrior, that player's inept or lacking mechanical skill and understanding is showcased in a glaringly obvious way. The players that have the most difficulty with Warriors are the ones who double dodge for no reason, those who dodge auto attacks, those who waste cooldowns too soon, those who don't watch for animations, those who play painfully predictably and get either one shot or killed in 5 seconds.

I cannot count the number of times I have run into some random Soulbeast, or Ranger in general, who will dodge Rush, then dodge again and then either use Signet of Stone or Lightning Reflexes before I've even used any of my important skills. I then proceed to just block their Rapid Fire, gap close again or cripple them with Axe 3 or GS 4 and then CC chain them and land a burst skill that either ends them or puts them on about 3% health. Then you see people like them go "Ugh Warrior is too much" and I have to sit here bewildered and think "What are you talking about? You literally handed that fight to me because you're newer to PvP or not great at it and lack an understanding of mechanics".

You see this all the time when you start to learn either through roaming in WvW or fighting actual good players that landing a burst skill is not easy, maintaining your sustain is not easy and you will often be out kited as they intentionally proc your passive defenses and just wait them out to then unleash destruction on you. I frequently have to resort to baiting either gap closers or biding my time for an animation I know I can land CC or a burst through provided they lack Stability or another defense that is active (invuln, block, evade, etc). People say the Passives on Warrior carry them, I find them to be a hindrance because I can't necessarily control when my Last Stand procs without needing to dodge every CC, I can't control Defy Pain if I happen to get caught by said CC and get nailed with massive damage because they force proc'd Last Stand and exhausted my stability; which for me to avoid that I'd need to use Endure Pain, assuming its on my bar, which exhausts another stunbreak and only buys time before I likely get knocked down to 50% health soon after and Defy Pain ends up proccing. Then they just kite or defend or dodge so I can't land a burst skill and regain any health, or they interrupt Mending or To the Limit if you cast it.

Those are the same ppl that claim that healing signet heals for tremendous amounts passively, lol.I totally agree with you, i once was flamed by a druid roamer, that i had too much sustain... Excuse me? A druid.

@RedShark.9548 said:

@"KryTiKaL.3125" said:People ask for Warrior nerfs because, as someone I know phrased it, "Warrior is a stupid check for players".

I cannot count the number of times I have run into some random Soulbeast, or Ranger in general, who will dodge
Rush
, then dodge again and then either use Signet of Stone or Lightning Reflexes before I've even used any of my important skills. I then proceed to just block their Rapid Fire, gap close again or cripple them with Axe 3 or GS 4 and then CC chain them and land a burst skill that either ends them or puts them on about 3% health. Then you see people like them go "Ugh Warrior is too much" and I have to sit here bewildered and think "What are you talking about? You literally handed that fight to me because you're newer to PvP or not great at it and lack an understanding of mechanics".

You see this all the time when you start to learn either through roaming in WvW or fighting actual good players that landing a burst skill is
not
easy, maintaining your sustain is
not
easy and you will often be out kited as they intentionally proc your passive defenses and just wait them out to then unleash destruction on you. I frequently have to resort to baiting either gap closers or biding my time for an animation I know I can land CC or a burst through provided they lack Stability or another defense that is active (invuln, block, evade, etc). People say the Passives on Warrior carry them, I find them to be a hindrance because I can't necessarily control when my Last Stand procs without needing to dodge every CC, I can't control Defy Pain if I happen to get caught by said CC and get nailed with massive damage because they force proc'd Last Stand and exhausted my stability; which for me to avoid that I'd need to use Endure Pain, assuming its on my bar, which exhausts another stunbreak and only buys time before I likely get knocked down to 50% health soon after and Defy Pain ends up proccing. Then they just kite or defend or dodge so I can't land a burst skill and regain any health, or they interrupt Mending or To the Limit if you cast it.

Those are the same ppl that claim that healing signet heals for tremendous amounts passively, lol.I totally agree with you, i once was flamed by a druid roamer, that i had too much sustain... Excuse me? A druid.

Yup, had the exact same thing happen to me, honestly it was probably the same guy if you're on NA. Dunno if I'd recognize the name if I saw it, though. They said Warrior healing is over the top and I just went "uhm...what? You're a druid..."

Just like the more recent complaints in some other threads I've seen about the tetherbreaker damage being "too much" now and its just like...in comparison to what? I mean really, too much compared to Soulbeast damage? Deadeye damage? Shatter Mirage damage? Condi Mirage damage? Holosmith damage? Oh! Maybe they mean compared to Firebrand healing, no wait that wouldn't be right either. Just like...where is the logic there?

"But I'm in the top 250 players in sPvP" Congratulations? You're in the top 250 of about maybe 300 actual players that still even play sPvP where maybe 200 of the top 250 are probably people with their main and alt accounts and the top 10 is made up of the same 3 people. Yet those same people in this top 250 try to go around saying things like "Warrior gap closers (or more accurately their mobility) are so good to the point of being too much" to which I again ask them "compared to what?" thief teleports? Soulbeast double swoop? Mirage teleports? Yes Warrior mobility is not bad, but in terms of using them for gap closers they are very telegraphed and typically slow, with Bull's Charge being the fastest travelling one and that one is still slow on the activation time and easily dodged at a distance, even from more point blank range.

The PvPers of GW2 make me sad, they can't even meme well either and that makes me even more sad. Granted I was spoiled by the memes from Black Desert Online between the siege guilds, that shit was good.

• 2 weeks later...

@"Hitman.5829" said:Unfortunately those numbers do not portrait the reality of warriors in WvW and PvP.And for a good measure, just look at the forum. Go to profession tab and see how many discussions are there in the warrior forum.

Guardian and warrior are the least discussed, and just look at the discussions on the warrior forum, its to nerf this or that...The truth is warrior is one of the least played classes and the forum discussion corroborates that.

1 Just because a class isn't popular in one mode of the game doesn't mean it's broke in the larger picture. PVP in this game is straight up poison enjoyed only by a toxic minority of players, and people need to stop trying to judge or "balance" the whole game by it.2 The people who post here are a minority of the game population, and even then, most of them are just posting to complain about something. Many players don't even know these forums exist, much less read them. With that in mind, the smaller number of discussions in the Warrior forum somewhat reflects the general health of the class. Warriors really don't have that much to complain about; all three specs are powerful and desirable in their own ways and places.

@Jimbru.6014 said:

@"Hitman.5829" said:Unfortunately those numbers do not portrait the reality of warriors in WvW and PvP.And for a good measure, just look at the forum. Go to profession tab and see how many discussions are there in the warrior forum.

1 Just because a class isn't popular in one mode of the game doesn't mean it's broke in the larger picture. PVP in this game is straight up poison enjoyed only by a toxic minority of players, and people need to stop trying to judge or "balance" the whole game by it.2 The people who post here are a minority of the game population, and even then, most of them are just posting to complain about something. Many players don't even know these forums exist, much less read them. With that in mind, the smaller number of discussions in the Warrior forum somewhat reflects the general health of the class. Warriors really don't have that much to complain about; all three specs are powerful and desirable in their own ways and places.

Yes, tell me where warrior is desirable, except as bannerslave to grant unique buffs, im waiting.

@Hitman.5829 said:cough cough, black lion key farm.cough cough, human story the shortest one to complete,cough cough, warrior class the easiers to complete due to leaps, close gaps and DPS.cough cough, black lion key reward in under 20 min.

Unfortunately those numbers do not portrait the reality of warriors in WvW and PvP.And for a good measure, just look at the forum. Go to profession tab and see how many discussions are there in the warrior forum.

cough cough, gw2efficiency only takes stats from characters that have not been deletedcough cough, these key farm characters will only have a play time of 20 minscough cough, if all 220,000 of those warriors were key farm characters (worst case), their combined playtime would be ~73,000 hourscough cough, if you subtract these 73,000 key farm hours you have 70,303,000 hours for warrior, which is still second highestcough cough, over 5,000 of those hours are me, but I hardly ever comment here because this forum is full of the same cretins who thought spellbreaker was underpowered on the launch of PoF

Lol.Rush - hits however it please, sometimes it hits in the middle of dodge, at the end of dodge or at the beginning of dodge, even after you're away from "melee range" and the animation of the Rush finished you still get damaged (5k+ for this buggy skill is a joke and by joke I don't mean it's too low, opposite, too high).Bull's Charge - pretty much same problem as with Rush, buggy.Since when war can be "random CCed" ? Warriors doesn't even notice any kind of CC's ...There was a build for wars that allowed them to be uncatchable aka "Nike warriors", couldn't cc, couldn't chill/slow/immobile, so fun to chase them back to enemy spawn...Warrior doesn't need any kind of buffs, never, it need bug fixes at most.

When the game is bad for Warrior's, I would say it's just ANET's hypocrisy.

When the game is actually in a decent spot right now for Warriors, it's probably because of Rampage, whirling axe, gun flame, is why ANET thinks Warrior gap closers should suck.

The only thing that I don't think is justified is z-axis teleport. That's it, Warrior gap closers can stay as is but ledge teleporting in general has to go. I don't like the "it's limiting gameplay argument" advocating these z-axis teleports cause classes that can do this can already hold their own without it.

@RedShark.9548 said:

Warrior is actually not the least played class... Its actually still one of the most played classes...

In PvE

love to see the drop in PvP and WvW post spellbreaker nerf

@Atticus.7194 said:

In PvE

love to see the drop in PvP and WvW post spellbreaker nerf

Never denied that, but op didnt specify gamemode :^)

Tournament meta Scourge,FB,Thief, Rev, mirage or Boonbeast .Ranked meta 2 mirages, necro(mostly scourge sometimes some confused reaper),thief or rev, and a guardian from all variations but mostly core hammer sometimes you rev/thief slot is taken by double necro or guard. So war and ele are warming the bench. In pve war is banner boy in WvW is winds boy the one skill wonder.So lets return to the issue why are all gap closers bad have low range ,450 for most, or too slow to hit. Other issues are that they bug out sometimes they hit randomly sometimes you stay in one place or overshoot . Most veteran players know how to bug them em out. It feels really slow, the builds haven't changed much in 4 years and it gets old when everyone is running circles around you.

TBH thief is taken as S/D core to counter firebrand due to its spammable unblockable damage + boon denial and basically nothing else. Mirage is a better decapper and is also why more people have high rank on it, since it can carry better.

There's a hidden upside to warrior's mobility skills which is they don't suffer from "No Valid Path" bugs which the thief experiences frequently even on flat terrain which cases ports to not work.

Warrior is in a pretty good spot overall right now. FB and Scourge are just gamebreakingly overpowered and the other OP's like boonbeast, bunker holo, and condi mirage are just overpowered with DE being cheese.

@Hitman.5829 said:

@Hitman.5829 said:Because warrior is the least played class, that is why Anet does not even bother to give warriors a quality of life update.Why would they spend countless hours of coding and effort to a class that people will not play?The money making machines are mesmers, thieves, necros and guardians!

cough cough, black lion key farm.cough cough, human story the shortest one to complete,cough cough, warrior class the easiers to complete due to leaps, close gaps and DPS.cough cough, black lion key reward in under 20 min.

Guardians are better key farmers despite the lack of swiftness/movement skills. Mounts make getting around between story instances irrelevant, and you're not forced to do much running during the actual story instances, aside from collecting the medicine from the bandit hideout. When it comes to killing stuff in those early story instances though, guardian with GS and sword/focus blows warriors out of the water.

@Quarktastic.1027 said:

@Hitman.5829 said:Because warrior is the least played class, that is why Anet does not even bother to give warriors a quality of life update.Why would they spend countless hours of coding and effort to a class that people will not play?The money making machines are mesmers, thieves, necros and guardians!

Guardians are better key farmers despite the lack of swiftness/movement skills. Mounts make getting around between story instances irrelevant, and you're not forced to do much running during the actual story instances, aside from collecting the medicine from the bandit hideout. When it comes to killing stuff in those early story instances though, guardian with GS and sword/focus blows warriors out of the water.

An ele main says hi, it's cute it takes you guys so long as I murder all of Serantine's allies and her in 1s. I do love meteor :D

@Hitman.5829 said:

Or maybe there's so few posts because the people that play warriors enjoy it so much that they are actually out playing their warriors and not in here complaining about them.

• 2 weeks later...

@Hitman.5829 said:And for a good measure, just look at the forum. Go to profession tab and see how many discussions are there in the warrior forum.

Guardian and warrior are the least discussed, and just look at the discussions on the warrior forum, its to nerf this or that...

Earlier you said Guardian is one of the most played classes? If you are basing your logic on number of forum discussions, you contradict yourself.Whether it's true or not I have no opinion on, or facts to present with it.

Archived