Why vipers, minstrel insig/inscrip most heart of thorns gear are account bound.

blambidy.3216

But harriers, diviner’s and pof stats are not account bound and you can sell on the tp?

I truly don’t mind them on the tp but it kind of throws my off as to why. I first thought vipers couldn’t be on tp because it was part of the expansion, that it wouldn’t allow free players to buy the gear. But now why? If diviner’s and harriers are pof stats, How come vipers inscription or insig are not on the tp? Why not? If vipers can’t then why are diviner’s and harriers on the tp?

My only thing is. If diviner’s, harriers are on tp and it’s pof content, then vipers, minstrels should also be on tp. If vipers and minstrels are not on tp, then diviner’s and harriers should not be on tp. Unless there is a reason why diviner’s and harriers are.I’m just a little confused as to, why?

Maybe free players can’t buy harriers and diviner’s gear on tp?

ANet Consistency™ ...and inertia.

Typically, ANet has a good reason to start off in a particular pattern, e.g. gating stats to a particular expansion, to add incentive to its purchase. Over time, things change. The new game director has a different idea of what's important, exit interviews with people who stopped playing change priorities, data shows a poor effort:reward level (for ANet and/or players), etc. So ANet appropriately starts making different choices as new things enter the game.

But, it's expensive to retrofit old items/mechanics to make them consistent with the new. Setting up the protocol/scripts to update isn't usually difficult; the expense comes from vetting to make sure that such changes don't have ripple effects that are worse (or that the scripts do nothing more than they are supposed to). Largely, it turns out that there aren't great reasons to spend the effort on Consistency for Constitency's sake.

So for ANet, as a business, the question isn't, "why isn't X consistent with Y?" Instead, they ask, "how important is it for X to be consistent with Y?" (And the answer often turns out to be: not important enough to justify the distraction/cost.)

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:ANet Consistency™ ...and inertia.

Typically, ANet has a good reason to start off in a particular pattern, e.g. gating stats to a particular expansion, to add incentive to its purchase. Over time, things change. The new game director has a different idea of what's important, exit interviews with people who stopped playing change priorities, data shows a poor effort:reward level (for ANet and/or players), etc. So ANet appropriately starts making different choices as new things enter the game.

But, it's expensive to retrofit old items/mechanics to make them consistent with the new. Setting up the protocol/scripts to update isn't usually difficult; the expense comes from vetting to make sure that such changes don't have ripple effects that are worse (or that the scripts do nothing more than they are supposed to). Largely, it turns out that there aren't great reasons to spend the effort on Consistency for Constitency's sake.

So for ANet, as a business, the question isn't, "why isn't X consistent with Y?" Instead, they ask, "how important is it for X to be consistent with Y?" (And the answer often turns out to be: not important enough to justify the distraction/cost.)

Ok that’s fine I mean I’m future if all stats on tp ok. I was just like diviner’s 30 gold a pop? Will free players also be using diviner’s?

Like that’s my question though. Because if free players cant use vipers but use diviner’s, harriers. Then it should be an option for them to be able to use vipers.

@blambidy.3216 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:ANet Consistency™ ...and inertia.

Ok that’s fine I mean I’m future if all stats on tp ok. I was just like diviner’s 30 gold a pop? Will free players also be using diviner’s?

Like that’s my question though. Because if free players cant use vipers but use diviner’s, harriers. Then it should be an option for them to be able to use vipers.

Thought there was a limitation on what stat sets f2p players can buy on the TP as well ?

@"blambidy.3216" said:Ok that’s fine I mean I’m future if all stats on tp ok. I was just like diviner’s 30 gold a pop? Will free players also be using diviner’s?

"Should be" is not the same as "it's a good business choice."

@"blambidy.3216" said:In the future could heart of thorns gear stat be also in the tp though? That is my true question. Or would that be too much on changes in the game?

I think you've already laid out a decent case for why it might not be bad for the game. The question ANet has to answer is: how would it be good for the game? And is that enough to make it worth the distraction from working on other things?

Using past experience, we can see that ANet has never changed the acquisition method for Celestial stats. The gear is account bound; the mats are also account bound. There's never been a clear reason given why they restricted both and they've never even hinted that they might even give a thought to adjusting it, given that it's no longer as important a stat.

Some of us have speculated that Celestial involved several experiments for ANet, in preparation for future design decisions. What's the impact of time gating materials via crafting versus via open world (in this case, using hero challenges to charging quartz), binding some prefixes (but not others), and so on. Now that it's in the game and it "works," there's little need to adjust it; it's a modest QoL change, not much more.

or tl;drCould ANet change things so HoT prefixes are tradeable (without hurting the game much)? Sure. Are they likely to? No, not in my opinion.

Archived