Guild Wars 2 New player Revenant questions

Greenlink.4538

Hello everyone,

Currently i picked a Revenant as a new class to play, As a elite option i picked the short bow which seemed really cool! and i have been enjoying it so far. However since i am new to the game i got some build questions and i couldn't find a build with duel sword and short sword on Metabattle. Could anyone tell me if there is a build somewhere which uses revenant renegade with duel sword and short bow?!

Thanks in advance!

Sorry to bring the bad news; there isn’t one.

Shortbow is bad. It has low damage and no defense.

There is no reason to use shortbow.. unless you like to pretend or spend the majority of your time killing trash mobs (open world).

Renegade is also extremely weak and is only used in condi damage builds utilizing axe and mace in raids.

Outside of organized raids against the computer Renegade is also useless as the damage is easily avoidable by a real human.

If all you want to do is pve you can make it work by building your own setup and just having fun. You won't be optimal by any means but optimizing doesn't really matter unless you are going full tryhard in pve. In pvp, Jay hit it right on the head, renegade doesn't have a working shortbow build because it is just not designed well enough to handle what happens in pvp.

Shortbow is mostly a condition weapon and swords are mostly power weapons, so generally speaking they aren't the best to run together if you are going for competitive DPS. The reason you see staff in so many builds is because it offers incredible utility for all game modes, but think of it as a secondary weapon.With that said, while you are learning the class just play with what you like. Even though shortbow has a condi focus, it can still do moderate power damage and synergizes really nicely with Soulcleave's Summit, so I am sure you would have enough success with it.Allow yourself to experiment and experience the different aspects of the class. My personal favorite build to run, for example, in open world is a hybrid core Jalis/Mallyx build with Tormenting Runes and Retribution, Invocation, and Corruption. If you are doing any competitive content, you should expect to conform your builds to meta builds, but if not, just have fun.

@"Pterikdactyl.7630" For now it's really fun to swap to the bow for long distance and when i am low health and such. i won't see that happen often with the staff (also because i just don't really enjoy using a staff with the current class) It seems that the staff is close ranged combat? That's why i enjoyed the bow i can just dash backwards and switch to the Shortbow and it also works the otherway. I don't really like playing now what i like and when i want to play 'competitive' i am doomed to change and change the entire rotation etc. That's why i asked my question so early on, so i don't waste time myself playing a build that really wouldn't do much and get out damaged. I am a competitive player and i enjoy playing a class to it's full potential and get frustrated when i can't pull out everything that's possible. So even if i have to make the switch i rather do it now then later in the game. Thanks for replying!

Yes greenlink Renegade is *** horrible.

You can look at my post history for more info.

I was playing the current “meta” build before it was “meta” back in 2015, and have been top 10 multiple times on Rev just to give you an idea of who is speaking on this subject. I was also angered and felt ripped off of when I realized how bad Renegade was at POF release.

Renegade and shortbow have received a roughly ~1000% damage increase (yes 1000%) across their skills and and they are still subpar. Actually the only reason Renegade is used is because it brings a damage increase to the two condi weapons available to core Rev. Both of which require a near stationary target to do damage.

Renegade has zero personal defense and brings nothing to a group besides extremely low up time on one of the worst boons in the game (at least for Rev).

Currently we are hoping that the next expansion brings Revenant something better. It’s been over a year now and it seems to be the case that if you want to play Renegade against something other than the computer, you have been ripped off (this goes for everyone that has/had this desire).

if you're running a power build you definitely don't want shortbow. If you are running a condi build you definitely don't want swords. Generally stick to either power or condi, but don't mix the two because how stats work you can only build to make one of the damage types work well. If you are just running around open world, doing large group metas or whatever, go for it. It'll be lackluster but in the casual content you can still make do. You won't find any builds on it because no matter what the sword/sword and shortbow setup will perform considerably lower than an optimized build that uses mace/axe over swords.

@Greenlink.4538 said:@JayAction.9056 Thank you very much for your information! Currently i decided to play my reaper instead of the Revenant! Thanks for helping me decide ^^

Condition renegade is far better than power herald. It has a little more complex rotation but the damage far exceeds power herald.

Shortbow/Staff Renegade works in pvp as an EU player got to legendary rank with it. It works surprisingly well with his setup but it has a steep learning curve.

@JayAction.9056 said:There is no reason to use shortbow.. unless you like to pretend or spend the majority of your time killing trash mobs (open world).

Renegade is also extremely weak and is only used in condi damage builds utilizing axe and mace in raids.

Renegade only works against the computer. The short bow is not good anywhere in game.

Stop bullying the new player. They later clarified it is for PvE.

Firstly, Condi Renegade is literally the 2nd top DPS on large hitboxes https://www.snowcrows.com/benchmarks/

Condi Renegade is an often welcome addition in parties due to not only its high DPS on huge hitboxes but also its ability to support the team with powerful buffs. Alacrity is much more sought after in 2019 since the Chronomancer changes, Soulcleave Summit provides free healing for no healing power investment, and Assassin's Presence is a respectable DPS increase. Once you factor the DPS increases a Condi Renegade brings to the team, then it possible becomes the highest DPS in the game on large hitboxes.

Secondly, Shortbow is part of the Condi DPS rotation for raids and fractals. Not only is it a respectable DPS increase, but it can provide permanent slow, which not only compliments the power chronos in your party, but it is a huge contribution to breakbars via soft-cc (since the only other reliable source of Slow in raids is Well of Action for 3s, natural convergence on druid which they rarely use, and dragon's maw only 4s on a 75s cd). Did I mention some classes have a trait which increases their personal damage the more conditions are on a foe, so a Condi Renegade applying perma Slow is also a DPS increase for Engis and Thiefs?

Diviner Renegade + Firebrand is even set to replace Chronomancer soon. It can provide 10man alacrity permanently while dealing above 27k DPS counting Soulcleave Summit + blanket healing via life steal.

Speaking of Power builds, Shortbow is even included in the Power Renegade rotation opening as well due to its large initial burst. This makes it useful during fights with multiple burn phases, such as Keep Construct. Where this will come useful over Herald is when a Renegade is assigned the alacrity position for their team and they run Diviner or Berserker.

Proof:

@Greenlink.4538 said:@JayAction.9056 Thank you very much for your information! Currently i decided to play my reaper instead of the Revenant! Thanks for helping me decide ^^

PvE Reaper is a meme.

@Greenlink.4538 said:Hello everyone,

Currently i picked a Revenant as a new class to play, As a elite option i picked the short bow which seemed really cool! and i have been enjoying it so far. However since i am new to the game i got some build questions and i couldn't find a build with duel sword and short sword on Metabattle. Could anyone tell me if there is a build somewhere which uses revenant renegade with duel sword and short bow?!

Thanks in advance!

Read Kain Francois’s response instead of Jay’s; Jay’s perspective of the game is pretty much entirely pvp focused so not applicable to what you want to do with the class. Don’t play reaper over renegade unless you really want to because it’s flat out worse than renegade in most PvE content

Thanks in advance!

Dont get the wrong idea about the renegade. It is currently the strongest condi build in PvE on a stationary target. JayAction refers to PvP content where renegade is sadly a pushover with its huge tells that lets everyone and their mother evade whatever spell you tried to pull off. If all you want to play is open world, fractals, dungeons and raids, feel free to play your renegade.

@Deadvillager.1956 said:

Thanks in advance!

Dont get the wrong idea about the renegade. It is currently the strongest condi build in PvE on a stationary target. JayAction refers to PvP content where renegade is sadly a pushover with its huge tells that lets everyone and their mother evade whatever spell you tried to pull off. If all you want to play is open world, fractals, dungeons and raids, feel free to play your renegade.

As you mentioned, renegade is the strongest condi DPS in PvE on STATIONARY targets, especially on HUGE hitbox, but in open world, fotm not so many foes are totally stationary, even bosses will jump around, and most of them are small hitbox, which also is renegade's weak side, from what I read, renegade only shine in raid environment. And it seems that not so many players like group a condi renegade in fotm? I'm not sure though.

But because those points I mentioned, I have to force myself give up my revenent, which made me really sad...Even the publish diviner stat for PvE couldn't change this situation. Unless you don't use LFG finding groups.

Thanks in advance!

Biggest problem with what you want is that Shortbow is a straight Condi weapon, and Swords are (mostly) power weapons. For the most part you want to sort of pick one or the other and gear around that damage type... Hybrid builds do see some life in WvW Roaming (although certainly not Renegade due to an overall lack of defensive options) and in open world you can obviously play whatever you want (although there are varying degrees of efficiency.) If you do want to make it work, you'll want to look at Gear like mixing Vipers/Berzerker, Grieving, or Celestial.

Archived