How do people think a GW3 would work?

Squirrel.6318

I'm not against it, have seen people talk of, and i'm just wondering how people would think a GW3 would work? I don't see how it's possible, unless the end conclusion to GW2 is that the dragons completely destroy the continent of Tyria. And we are left with whatever lands we have not seen, like far east or north, or cantha, or another continent. A GW3 would mean they would have to recreate the entire world of Tyria again, which would be the same thing.

@"Squirrel.6318" said:unless the end conclusion to GW2 is that the dragons completely destroy the continent of Tyria. And we are left with whatever lands we have not seen, like far east or north, or cantha, or another continent.

A cataclysm caused by the destruction of the dragons means that the whole world gets annihilated. There won't be any undiscovered continents to visit as the planet would stop existing altogether. But if you meant that the dragons destroy Tyria, then there won't be any mortals left. Either way, not a desireable outcome.

P.S. Why do we need a new "GW3" thread each week?

Hmm, wasn't the whole backstory on the dragons that they had multiple times in the past more or less scourged the entire world, and new creatures and civilizations came and continued, until they woke again ? If so, you do have options:

• Dragons wipe 99% clean, and 500+ years later, humans and other races managed to crawl up enough numbers to populate lands again, insert new story plot here.
  • The 5 races stops the dragons, breaking their circle of destruction, and now 100+ years later, the races have to deal with all the crazy problems this caused in the natural order.

Personally much more interested in the mechanical differences and what kind of combat, mechanics, controls, class systems, builds etc. Then again, I'm not the kind of person that plays an MMO for story (I prefer single player games for that, they tend to do it much better).

On the whole, really doubt they're planning to make a GW3 anytime soon, why would they ? GW2 is doing pretty darn good, they're probably going to keep it going for many years with at least 2 more expansion packs, and a bunch of LS content. Which pretty much negates any speculation we have on story now anyways... because it's all going to change in 1-2 years time.

Also about half the design would be based on "lore" the other half on practical and mechanical reasons. So a GW3 might not even have half the things people would expect right now, they might completely drop races and classes etc. (Just see Monk from GW1, or playable Charr in GW2, some people still haven't gotten over these).

Why are so many people desperate for a gw3? What potential does a new game offer that the current one cannot? I've already invested over 6k hours in gw2, I don't really want to have all that become meaningless by a new game launch.

Edit: Also, gw2 is still in its' prime. The last living world episode really raised the bar in terms of storytelling quality, do you really want to wait 6 years with no gw2 content just for a slightly upgraded engine and graphics? That's ludicrous.

@"jwaz.1908" said:Why are so many people desperate for a gw3?

Perhaps they have given up hope that GW2 will ever grow to see its full potential?

Many of the things that were promised on release (and even already started at the beginning), some of which are the reason why a GW2 was developed in the first place, have already been abandoned (a personal story arcs with selectable paths, the personality feature, a rich world that consists of more than just fighting dragons [see war with the centaurs, conflict between humans and the charr, and not to forget the diversity GW1 had to offer storywise]).

The game has grown quite rigid in many regards, and maybe people are hoping for "more" - for a "better" version of GW2.

@jwaz.1908 said:Why are so many people desperate for a gw3? What potential does a new game offer that the current one cannot?What potential did GW2 have over GW1? Why was GW2 even made? We could have still played GW1, right? Many people seem to still like that and I cant imagine they where desparate for GW2.

Hell, why do we even want new games at all? Games like Red Dead Redemption 2... Two useless games when we could have been playing Outlaws dangnabbit.

The Doom engine was after all, gaming perfected.

@Squirrel.6318 said:I'm not against it, have seen people talk of, and i'm just wondering how people would think a GW3 would work? I don't see how it's possible, unless the end conclusion to GW2 is that the dragons completely destroy the continent of Tyria. And we are left with whatever lands we have not seen, like far east or north, or cantha, or another continent. A GW3 would mean they would have to recreate the entire world of Tyria again, which would be the same thing.

1. Make it Guild on Guild War focused from the ground up. Primary balance of classes / comps should stem from guild vs guild, or alliance of guilds vs other alliance of guilds. Likewise with drops, rewards, etc. etc. If the game will not be focused on guild wars, then stop calling it guild wars, come up with a completely and totally different name so its not so deceptive.
  2. Story - meh - just attach some cash shop solo instances to it for once in a while for novelty, done and done.
  3. Small scale PvP - Do it right this time, ladders, rewards, everything, also go all out on banning AFKers and bots from the start, not like it is here now.
  4. Less focus on player levels, more focus on actual player execution of skills.
  5. Less powercreep. Have a agenda you can stick to longterm with regards to developing new content, new abilities, new gear, etc. Put a hard limit on powercreep.
  6. Updated DX12+ (or whatever new DX will be at the release time) engine, likewise, we might evolve into 128 instead of 64 bit applications by then.
  7. Modular game design where things that undergo changes are less tied to other things, so adjustments can be made easily without having to have a gigantic impact on other game aspects.

I'd imagine that if it were too follow suit with what we've already seen, such a game would be another 200 years down the line. Maybe a post-dragon threat in a postmodern multi-racial society where the mortal races operate magitech to regulate the natural balance of magic.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@jwaz.1908 said:Why are so many people desperate for a gw3? What potential does a new game offer that the current one cannot?What potential did GW2 have over GW1? Why was GW2 even made? We could have still played GW1, right? Many people seem to still like that and I cant imagine they where desparate for GW2.

A true MMO experience, an expansive open world, updated combat system to name a few.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"jwaz.1908" said:Why are so many people desperate for a gw3? What potential does a new game offer that the current one cannot?What potential did GW2 have over GW1? Why was GW2 even made? We could have still played GW1, right? Many people seem to still like that and I cant imagine they where desparate for GW2.

Hell, why do we even want new games at all? Games like Red Dead Redemption 2... Two useless games when we could have been playing Outlaws dangnabbit.

The Doom engine was after all, gaming perfected.

Its not that hard to understand when you look at how many IPs have been squandered in the last 2 generations of games. 2 of Guildwars' most popular aspects are also 2 of its most ill-defined, as the series is (fundamentally) both a subversion and a homage to Fantasy genres as a whole. GW1's entire design was based on a typical MMO of the Pre-WoW generation, but hugely rewarded players for mechanical understanding of the game. It also had a huge world designed for exploration, and its instanced/party design made it conductive to high adventure sense of story telling.

Its a pitch perfect game of its generation; and launched just as WoW was redefining the entire landscape of gaming, and literally changed everything. What makes this ironic and frustrating is that WoW is NOT a new game. It was the pinnacle of what a game from the previous generation could attain, and it took years for other games to understand and grow on the market WoW had established.

But you also have to understand some of the fallacies common to mainstream gaming that will probably never go away. The assumption of perpetual innovation, the ease of replication, and the "same but different" expectation. Even in this thread, that confusion about what GW1 "is" tries to do it using terms of comparison, rather then true descriptions. But where GW2 struggles the most is how its a game that got stuck between 2 generations, and was so forward thinking that it still suffers from that mistiming to this day. The choice to go with action combat before the idea was popular, branching narratives, the ditching of quest structures for more visceral world interaction, large scale free form faction-based PvP warzones (something only a handfull of games bothered attempting), and an ongoing story line that evolves the world irreversibly. Some of these were in conflict, but all of them now the new standard for MMOs made in the last 5 years, and those moving forward. GW2 was conceptually what it needed to be to survive as long as it has- but still wasn't executed well enough to follow though on all of them. The game as it stands is being carried by a combination of its high accessibility in the combat system, and a progression system that has barely forced requirements upwards since launch.

As for GW1 players specifically, the game had aged better then most.... but Nightfalls suffered from a hard to place disconnect in its design. Most of that had to do with efforts to increase the range of achievement-driven activities that were gaining popularity at the time, but not satisfying compared to what the rest of the game does. However, what the game does well (narrative driven quests and world exploration) were finite in nature, and were becoming an increasing burden for Alts. At my best observation, Heros were simultaneously the solution to this problem, but exposed it to such a degree that the players couldn't ignore it anymore.

Players wanted them to fix all these problems... but thats not something that could be done given GW1's overall design. They weren't desperate "specifically" for a GW2: but considering the entirety of GW1 occurred over the span of 2 years, and the game's population falling off at a concerning pace in competition to a slew of MMOs, it was obvious the game had lost its momentum and needed to get ahead of the trends (again) to gain new foot holds. Even when GW2 came out, GW1 was already dated and the "Stand and Cast" combat model far past its prime. And when you further consider how much staff it takes to maintain WoW's "content" output just to stay relevant, I doubt GW1 would had been enough to keep Anet on the project under NCsoft for as long as it had.

If it isn't apparently yet, GW1 came out too late in its generation- being one of the few RPG IPs after WoW to still make a name for itself, and yet still too late to avoid WoW's fall out on the online game industry. As good as it is, its clear it can't grow past what we have now... making GW2 (and a redesigned combat system) inevitable. GW3 is also inevitable, despite how much system modification is possible in GW2, because the legacy content of the game is weighing down its core design. This is something Accretion can't fix; and WoW faces the same set of problems despite its efforts to work around it.

@jwaz.1908 said:

A true MMO experience, an expansive open world, updated combat system to name a few.

Except GW2 really only fulfilled the last part. "Expansive open world"? Really? GW2 is still running tons of individual instances that are comparably small to games like say BDO.

So... Does this mean we need GW3.

My guess is GW3 would take place 500 years in the future, or even 500 into the past (pre-gw1).

• The game would be designed from the ground up with mounts this time.
  • Hopefully even better graphics, smoother gameplay, etc
  • Different playable races (not necessarily more, just different)
  • Probably a more streamlined combat system to make the game even less confusing and more accessible (therefore "dumbed down" for the masses)
  • Only PvE with maybe 1 pvp mode (anet learned their lesson trying to do 3 game modes)

The game would still be a collectathon for skins with a focus on the casual experience with no sub fee. That is the niche Anet has carved for themselves in the MMO market. For them to step outside of that too far would be a financial disaster.

@Squirrel.6318 said:I'm not against it, have seen people talk of, and i'm just wondering how people would think a GW3 would work? I don't see how it's possible, unless the end conclusion to GW2 is that the dragons completely destroy the continent of Tyria. And we are left with whatever lands we have not seen, like far east or north, or cantha, or another continent. A GW3 would mean they would have to recreate the entire world of Tyria again, which would be the same thing.

I'm not boosting for a GW3 yet AT ALL, but here's how it could work based on your premise...

The Dragons inevitably destroy Tyria and in the final episode, the heroes of GW2 (especially the noble and heroic 'Commander') sacrifice their lives in carrying out a magical ritual that will transfer a part of the world's population to another world/dimension.

There are no pre-existing Tyria-like civilizations. The entire world is unknown territory that must be explored. The new players must forge paths and build cities and learn to survive on their own. Soon they fall out over scarcity of resources, and break up into factions that fight against each other. Meanwhile, the alien races native to this world have mixed feelings about this invasion, and some ally with or against various factions, while others shun all newcomers and form their own faction to destroy them. You would have the base races of GW2 (maybe plus a few like Quaggans and Skritt and Tengu and Kodan) plus some New World races. Like GW2, you could start by choosing a race and profession, but when it came time to pick a faction, it would actually mean more than just what fashions you have access to. Each faction would have its own special powers and bonuses, and cities which non-faction members could not access.

Anyway, hoping the world will not be destroyed and that GW3 is many years away.

Archived