Feedback: Guild Wars 2 Mac 64-Bit Client - Page 11 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Feedback: Guild Wars 2 Mac 64-Bit Client

18911131416

Comments

  • Holmes.1356Holmes.1356 Member
    edited April 10, 2018

    I just tried the game build 87855 and sadly nothing has changed.

    • The luncher takes about a min just to open.
    • Once loged, the caracter selection screen takes +/- 20sec to load
    • The game is still really Jerky / unplayable
    • average frame rate has lost about 10 fps

    nothing of the above was like that before High Sierra update. The game was running just fine. not the best but fine. Hopefully a solution is found before i completely unhook from the game.

    MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
    Processor : 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memmory : RAM 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 (SSD)
    HD 500 GB (SSD)
    Grapichs: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
    Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
    MacOS High Sierra Version 10.13.4

  • I'm not seeing any improvement on my side, which sucks because Ill have to continue playing at 5 fps on my laptop rip. Here are my specs though in case they help

    Mac mini (Late 2014)
    Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel Iris 1536 MB

    I used a stopwatch to test a few areas to see how long they'd take to load just for funsies; that data is below:
    Rally from Great Hall to Chalon Docks in Istan- 2~ mins
    Chalon Docks to Sanctum Harbor in LA- 1 min
    Sanctum Harbor to Eastwatch in Auric Basin- 1 min

    Aaaand naturally these load times happen at each map load, whether it be a normal wp or from being downed. Loading the trading post also takes around the same amount of time, along with enemies/assets taking anywhere between 2-10 mins to load in

  • I don't have specific statistics, but: Running a 2014 Mac Mini with Yosemite, running the client off an external SSD.

    Before the patch, it was playable, but often choppy, with short freezes.

    After the patch, it ran so smoothly I decided to change all my settings from Low to High. :D That was, um, excessive. I quickly changed most settings back to low or medium. Everything ran smoothly, so I gave it the acid test: A full Palawadan raid! While I was frequently lost, kicked around by CC, and sometimes could not see what the heck was going on, it was NEVER because my screen froze up or because the animation was so choppy I was unable to follow it.

    Now I can turn around beside a huge crowd without the screen slowing down the minute the zerg comes in view.

    My hero panel and guild panel now come up instantly when I hit the key instead of freezing everything for a couple of seconds while they load. It takes a second to load the BL store, but the animation does not freeze while it loads any more--I could see my stalker's tail lashing behind the panel.

    Looking forward to my next Auric Basin meta, thanks to this fix. ^^ Thank you, this is a huge improvement.

  • The disc reading issue is basically gone, which is awesome cause it means I am not killing my macs hard drive anymore. FPS are significantly higher now, but I do still get the stuttering when looking around in locations, and when trying to move the map it lags a lot still.

    MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
    Processor 2.5GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048MB

  • The recent update seemed to really speed things up for my game; maps don't take nearly as long to load, and things are almost just as good as they were on the 32 bit client. I am playing on a high end imac, and realize this might not apply to all mac players, but I think things are looking up?

  • Just tried running Windows in Bootcamp. Same hardware, but so much better :-)

    Would really be nice to see what a client running Metal would do.

  • Dangus.6572Dangus.6572 Member ✭✭

    Disk I/O wasn't high anymore. Instead of constant 10-70Mbps it was in scope of Kbps.

    Mbpro 15" mid 2015 Sierra.

  • Running a bit smoother on Mac Pro (2013) after the patch. Turning the camera no longer induces consistent stuttering. It still occurs about 20% of the time (down from 100%). Drop outs still bring frame rate into single digits, making it difficult for anything but gathering. My 2013 MacBook Pro (Quad i7) runs at 2-3 times the frame rate, despite being about 1/3 as powerful.

  • Giluil.2534Giluil.2534 Member ✭✭

    As a Mac/iOS software developer, I would be interested in reading a post-mortem on this disk I/O bug. It puzzles me how a bug like that could have slipped beyond testing and why it took so long to fix. I would really appreciate a technical report.

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Giluil.2534 said:
    As a Mac/iOS software developer, I would be interested in reading a post-mortem on this disk I/O bug. It puzzles me how a bug like that could have slipped beyond testing and why it took so long to fix. I would really appreciate a technical report.

    Granted it was technically a beta. Although making it the de-facto release when they had to cancel the 32 bit version you would hope more testing would have taken place.

    What I am curious about is if this also solved the high sierra issues, which Jon wondered about earlier. Most of the posts this week that listed specs were either running sierra or on a machine below what is the average hardware people are gaming on.

    Cans we hav 10.13 now as 10.14 might be announced in 2 months at wwdc? :)

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • Matick.4132Matick.4132 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2018

    Hey folks, like to ask about High Sierra

    As Menadena pointed out that 10.14 is already on the horizon.
    I'm still holding back from 10.13 not solely because of GW2, but it's one of the main reasons indeed.

    Patch notes suggested that HS is now supported, but I'm reading mixed results about HS, so what's the latest news on that and especially performance issues, compared to Sierra 10.12 (which is running quite fine in 1440p on a beefy iMac btw)?

    thx :)

  • Hi I'm a Mac user, new here and just bought Heart of Thorns but can't buy Path of Fire. I've used the same card for both the transactions. Even tried Paypal. I don't know what the issue is, it's so frustrating. I've even raised a ticket. Any help would be great.

  • Matick.4132Matick.4132 Member ✭✭✭

    Enyo.

    Guess the ticket is the way to go for.
    Sounds less like a mac-issue, rather then some account-cards-whatsoever.
    So the support-team will get back to you, we here can't help you in this issue the way the support can. :)

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Matick.4132 said:
    Hey folks, like to ask about High Sierra

    As Menadena pointed out that 10.14 is already on the horizon.
    I'm still holding back from 10.13 not solely because of GW2, but it's one of the main reasons indeed.

    Patch notes suggested that HS is now supported, but I'm reading mixed results about HS, so what's the latest news on that and especially performance issues, compared to Sierra 10.12 (which is running quite fine in 1440p on a beefy iMac btw)?

    thx :)

    Yes, 10.14 is rumoured to be the biggest update since 10.0. If it takes them about a year for what was comparitively a maintenance update to the OS I am already shuddering at when we will get any needed 10.14 changes. Being a dev I know you can not reliably predict changes, especially based on incomplete information, but you also know what things are worse than others to make changes to.

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • Marco.6324Marco.6324 Member ✭✭

    The client works much better! I passed from totally unplayable to smooth playability at medium settings. I just experience a slow loading screen the first time I log in, apart from that you did a great job. Keep up the good work :+1:

  • Giluil.2534Giluil.2534 Member ✭✭

    @Menadena.7482 said:
    What I am curious about is if this also solved the high sierra issues, which Jon wondered about earlier. Most of the posts this week that listed specs were either running sierra or on a machine below what is the average hardware people are gaming on.

    From my understanding, the disk I/O bug was not a High Sierra-specific problem. My wife plays on a 2011 iMac with Sierra and suffered from the disk I/O bug since the initial 64-bit release. The recent bug fix improved performances on her iMac so much that she could raise the settings and is now playing with most settings to Medium. She's extremely happy now, in fact. She says it looks almost like a new game.

    Regarding my experience, what I can say for sure is that High Sierra triggered the disk I/O bug for me. I was not experiencing it with Sierra. I don't know the reason, and as a software developer this makes me curious enough to ask for a post-mortem about the bug.

    Now that the disk I/O has been fixed, my experience with High Sierra is equivalent to what I had with Sierra. If there's a difference it is so minimal I can't say what it affects or of how much.

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Giluil.2534 said:

    @Menadena.7482 said:
    What I am curious about is if this also solved the high sierra issues, which Jon wondered about earlier. Most of the posts this week that listed specs were either running sierra or on a machine below what is the average hardware people are gaming on.

    From my understanding, the disk I/O bug was not a High Sierra-specific problem. My wife plays on a 2011 iMac with Sierra and suffered from the disk I/O bug since the initial 64-bit release. The recent bug fix improved performances on her iMac so much that she could raise the settings and is now playing with most settings to Medium. She's extremely happy now, in fact. She says it looks almost like a new game.

    Regarding my experience, what I can say for sure is that High Sierra triggered the disk I/O bug for me. I was not experiencing it with Sierra. I don't know the reason, and as a software developer this makes me curious enough to ask for a post-mortem about the bug.

    Now that the disk I/O has been fixed, my experience with High Sierra is equivalent to what I had with Sierra. If there's a difference it is so minimal I can't say what it affects or of how much.

    Thanks, I really hope HS is fixed now too. I run it at work but would like to finally be able to upgrade my home systems.

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • DrMORO.4627DrMORO.4627 Member ✭✭

    @Menadena.7482 said:

    @Giluil.2534 said:

    @Menadena.7482 said:
    What I am curious about is if this also solved the high sierra issues, which Jon wondered about earlier. Most of the posts this week that listed specs were either running sierra or on a machine below what is the average hardware people are gaming on.

    From my understanding, the disk I/O bug was not a High Sierra-specific problem. My wife plays on a 2011 iMac with Sierra and suffered from the disk I/O bug since the initial 64-bit release. The recent bug fix improved performances on her iMac so much that she could raise the settings and is now playing with most settings to Medium. She's extremely happy now, in fact. She says it looks almost like a new game.

    Regarding my experience, what I can say for sure is that High Sierra triggered the disk I/O bug for me. I was not experiencing it with Sierra. I don't know the reason, and as a software developer this makes me curious enough to ask for a post-mortem about the bug.

    Now that the disk I/O has been fixed, my experience with High Sierra is equivalent to what I had with Sierra. If there's a difference it is so minimal I can't say what it affects or of how much.

    Thanks, I really hope HS is fixed now too. I run it at work but would like to finally be able to upgrade my home systems.

    I, too, am waiting to upgrade to 10.13 High Sierra, from present 10.11 El Capitan, until the HS issue is confirmed 'gone'. And with 10.14 coming, I am not sure how long my 'OK' days playing GW2 on 10.11 is going to last.

  • Matick.4132Matick.4132 Member ✭✭✭

    Ok, so next to a weird bug.
    Performance wise: is it safe 'n sound to update to High Sierra? :)

  • SMOOTH! the game runs smooth now! Noticed the changes at the beginning of April & glad to hear the game runs better for some of you as well!
    Maps & mounts load fast, sound effects are on time, no lag...It's almost as good as the 32-bit version WOW!

    Mac mini (late 2012) High sierra 10.13.1
    2,3 GHz Intel core i7
    4gb 1600 MHz DDR3
    Intel HD graphics 4000 1536 mb

  • @Menadena.7482 said:

    @Zan.5602 said:
    Someone was asking for experience running 64-bit client on Xeon.
    My Hackintosh uses the Q8300 quad-core Intel Xeon at 2.5GHz. Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 750TI (2GB) and it is outfitted with 8GB of RAM and a normal 7,200RPM SATA HD. I get almost the same FPS on Mac side and Windows side (15-25 at "best appearance" settings) as long as I don't move the cam. Then it plummets to 2 or something. At lower graphics settings, it's quite playable but it is still jerky when other players are around. Windows side is smooth as silk. I am encouraged by the improvement, however, and looking forward to more optimizations. Anybody tried using something like renice -20 on the PID to make it unfriendly to other apps? Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

    Thanks! The 2018 refresh of the mac pro is still unknown but since the xeon is highly likely I was gathering what information I could. When you talk about moving the cam do you mean you get affected if you are just walking around or if you move the camera while staying in place?

    Yeah any movement reduces the frame rate to an untenable situation <5 fps. It clears up after a moment, but then everything is herky-jerky again. In general, it isn't playable. I understand that the game is largely CPU-bound, but it doesn't appear to be using more than 2 of the cores. Top reports CPU usage by that process of about 180% typically...still a lot of headroom. The rhythmic nature of the jerking makes me think it's read/write issues, but downgrading to Sierra means starting over, and I can't do that to my production side. I installed an old HD and Windows 7 just for GW2. Anybody know if upgrading to Windows 10 on that drive would be worthwhile?

    Z

  • Calisanna.8732Calisanna.8732 Member ✭✭
    edited April 16, 2018

    So this is my last effort here. I had slight issues on the 32 bit Mac client on my Mac mini but overall it worked great. I recently bought a new Mac mini and was forced into the 64 bit client. Totally unplayable. Many issues that I have read here. Much worse than the 32 bit. I wrote support and after sending my info I received an answer saying that my brand new Mac mini does not support the 64 bit client and that system requirements can change. So yes system requirements changed from the 32 to 64, I get that. So basically I am understanding anyone who had a Mac is screwed now cause they are no longer compatible? I do t know much about comps but aren’t most macs the same? Can’t upgrade much and add graphics cards right? So what is going to happen with the Mac based players? Is there any suggestions on how I can mAke the game work? Played WoW waiting for answers and a fix to the crappy Mac situation and and bored. I want my gw2 back. Much better game imo. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

    I would like to add that it was the Intel Iris 1536 that “does not conform” so if u have a Mac mini and the 32 worked for u and the 64 doesn’t I guess we r outta luck unless there are suggestions

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Zan.5602 said:

    @Menadena.7482 said:

    @Zan.5602 said:
    Someone was asking for experience running 64-bit client on Xeon.
    My Hackintosh uses the Q8300 quad-core Intel Xeon at 2.5GHz. Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 750TI (2GB) and it is outfitted with 8GB of RAM and a normal 7,200RPM SATA HD. I get almost the same FPS on Mac side and Windows side (15-25 at "best appearance" settings) as long as I don't move the cam. Then it plummets to 2 or something. At lower graphics settings, it's quite playable but it is still jerky when other players are around. Windows side is smooth as silk. I am encouraged by the improvement, however, and looking forward to more optimizations. Anybody tried using something like renice -20 on the PID to make it unfriendly to other apps? Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

    Thanks! The 2018 refresh of the mac pro is still unknown but since the xeon is highly likely I was gathering what information I could. When you talk about moving the cam do you mean you get affected if you are just walking around or if you move the camera while staying in place?

    Yeah any movement reduces the frame rate to an untenable situation <5 fps. It clears up after a moment, but then everything is herky-jerky again. In general, it isn't playable. I understand that the game is largely CPU-bound, but it doesn't appear to be using more than 2 of the cores. Top reports CPU usage by that process of about 180% typically...still a lot of headroom. The rhythmic nature of the jerking makes me think it's read/write issues, but downgrading to Sierra means starting over, and I can't do that to my production side. I installed an old HD and Windows 7 just for GW2. Anybody know if upgrading to Windows 10 on that drive would be worthwhile?

    Z

    I have win 10 in a parallels vm. Obviously not fast at all but I just use that for getting login rewards on my alt.

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Calisanna.8732 said:
    So this is my last effort here. I had slight issues on the 32 bit Mac client on my Mac mini but overall it worked great. I recently bought a new Mac mini and was forced into the 64 bit client. Totally unplayable. Many issues that I have read here. Much worse than the 32 bit. I wrote support and after sending my info I received an answer saying that my brand new Mac mini does not support the 64 bit client and that system requirements can change. So yes system requirements changed from the 32 to 64, I get that. So basically I am understanding anyone who had a Mac is screwed now cause they are no longer compatible? I do t know much about comps but aren’t most macs the same? Can’t upgrade much and add graphics cards right? So what is going to happen with the Mac based players? Is there any suggestions on how I can mAke the game work? Played WoW waiting for answers and a fix to the crappy Mac situation and and bored. I want my gw2 back. Much better game imo. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

    I would like to add that it was the Intel Iris 1536 that “does not conform” so if u have a Mac mini and the 32 worked for u and the 64 doesn’t I guess we r outta luck unless there are suggestions

    Unfortunately I would not recommend playing any game on a mini as you will often find that right at the minimum specs. Just look at the prices ... the difference in price between a mini and the other models is more than just the cost of a monitor so that came from somewhere. The mini also is lagging behind right now.

    With gaming you do not want to be right at the minimum, trust me. For playing on a mac I would recommend an imac to maximize cost/performance. Laptops are iffy depending on what specs you have.

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • I have been trying out the game now on my 2017 5k iMac with High Sierra 13.4 installed. From my experience the gameplay has been fine, its stil worse then the windows client but I was able to enjoy myself. The read / write issues seams to have been resolved which was one of my biggest issues. I was able to play for a couple of hours without any major issues. There where some stutters here and there and I had lower frame-rate then usual in one of the new zones. But overall, the game was playable as long as I didn't crank up the settings to high, I played on medium settings. And I aslo ran the game on an external Ssd.

    These are my specs
    3,4 GHz Intel Core i5
    8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
    Radeon Pro 570 4096 MB
    250gb Flash storage
    250gb samsung SSd. (external)

  • DrMORO.4627DrMORO.4627 Member ✭✭

    Hi all!
    Just curious, as GW2 being a 'CPU-heavy' game, has anyone played using the latest Sonnet's eGFX Breakaway Puck?
    Just read an online review, and was wondering if it's worth the investment, for playing GW2 on a Mac with Thunderbolt3.
    AppleInsider: "First look: Sonnet's eGFX Breakaway Puck RX570 delivers on-the-go graphics power to MacBook Pro"

  • Matick.4132Matick.4132 Member ✭✭✭

    @Calisanna.8732 said:
    So this is my last effort here. I had slight issues on the 32 bit Mac client on my Mac mini but overall it worked great. I recently bought a new Mac mini and was forced into the 64 bit client. Totally unplayable. Many issues that I have read here. Much worse than the 32 bit. I wrote support and after sending my info I received an answer saying that my brand new Mac mini does not support the 64 bit client and that system requirements can change. So yes system requirements changed from the 32 to 64, I get that. So basically I am understanding anyone who had a Mac is screwed now cause they are no longer compatible? I do t know much about comps but aren’t most macs the same? Can’t upgrade much and add graphics cards right? So what is going to happen with the Mac based players? Is there any suggestions on how I can mAke the game work? Played WoW waiting for answers and a fix to the crappy Mac situation and and bored. I want my gw2 back. Much better game imo. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

    I would like to add that it was the Intel Iris 1536 that “does not conform” so if u have a Mac mini and the 32 worked for u and the 64 doesn’t I guess we r outta luck unless there are suggestions

    The 64-client is smooth on Sierra, no problems at all anymore!

    Like Menadena said: I also wouldn't recommend playing on a Mini and/or minimum specs.
    It's good if you're on the road, but at home, look for an upgrade or at least a breakout-box for an eGPU.

  • @Matick.4132 said:

    @Calisanna.8732 said:
    So this is my last effort here. I had slight issues on the 32 bit Mac client on my Mac mini but overall it worked great. I recently bought a new Mac mini and was forced into the 64 bit client. Totally unplayable. Many issues that I have read here. Much worse than the 32 bit. I wrote support and after sending my info I received an answer saying that my brand new Mac mini does not support the 64 bit client and that system requirements can change. So yes system requirements changed from the 32 to 64, I get that. So basically I am understanding anyone who had a Mac is screwed now cause they are no longer compatible? I do t know much about comps but aren’t most macs the same? Can’t upgrade much and add graphics cards right? So what is going to happen with the Mac based players? Is there any suggestions on how I can mAke the game work? Played WoW waiting for answers and a fix to the crappy Mac situation and and bored. I want my gw2 back. Much better game imo. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

    I would like to add that it was the Intel Iris 1536 that “does not conform” so if u have a Mac mini and the 32 worked for u and the 64 doesn’t I guess we r outta luck unless there are suggestions

    The 64-client is smooth on Sierra, no problems at all anymore!

    Like Menadena said: I also wouldn't recommend playing on a Mini and/or minimum specs.
    It's good if you're on the road, but at home, look for an upgrade or at least a breakout-box for an eGPU.

    Um, I've been playing on a Mini. In fact, I play on a 2014 mini. I run the game off an external SSD for speed, but apart from that, it's working GREAT since the last patch. If a brand new Mac Mini is 'not compatible' with the game, something drastic has changed. From what Calisanna said, the problem isn't that the specs are too low, but that the game is considered not compatible with something in the new Mini. Which might end up being a problem for everyone, if whatever's incompatible is something that's going to be appearing in more new Macs.

    Calisanna, I think you ought to write back and ask support exactly what part of your brand new computer is incompatible, because it sounds weird that the Mac version is incompatible with a new Mac. I wonder if the support guy you talked to was confused.

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    The important distinction is what specs you are running. For example, my iMac is from 2013 but I bumped it up to 24 GB of memory, bought the fastest CPU chip apple offered, and boot/play the game from an external fast SSD. On the other hand the macbook pro I use is from 2015 and fully stock ... when I travel I use it for my daily login reward and it is slow as anything. While it will cost more overbuilding your machine will add a few years of reasonable life to it so my 2013 iMac is probably still faster than my spouse's newer mostly-stock iMac in some ways.

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • DrMORO.4627DrMORO.4627 Member ✭✭
    edited April 18, 2018

    @Cragga the Eighty Third.6015 said:

    @Matick.4132 said:

    @Calisanna.8732 said:
    So this is my last effort here. I had slight issues on the 32 bit Mac client on my Mac mini but overall it worked great. I recently bought a new Mac mini and was forced into the 64 bit client. Totally unplayable. Many issues that I have read here. Much worse than the 32 bit. I wrote support and after sending my info I received an answer saying that my brand new Mac mini does not support the 64 bit client and that system requirements can change. So yes system requirements changed from the 32 to 64, I get that. So basically I am understanding anyone who had a Mac is screwed now cause they are no longer compatible? I do t know much about comps but aren’t most macs the same? Can’t upgrade much and add graphics cards right? So what is going to happen with the Mac based players? Is there any suggestions on how I can mAke the game work? Played WoW waiting for answers and a fix to the crappy Mac situation and and bored. I want my gw2 back. Much better game imo. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

    I would like to add that it was the Intel Iris 1536 that “does not conform” so if u have a Mac mini and the 32 worked for u and the 64 doesn’t I guess we r outta luck unless there are suggestions

    The 64-client is smooth on Sierra, no problems at all anymore!

    Like Menadena said: I also wouldn't recommend playing on a Mini and/or minimum specs.
    It's good if you're on the road, but at home, look for an upgrade or at least a breakout-box for an eGPU.

    Um, I've been playing on a Mini. In fact, I play on a 2014 mini. I run the game off an external SSD for speed, but apart from that, it's working GREAT since the last patch. If a brand new Mac Mini is 'not compatible' with the game, something drastic has changed. From what Calisanna said, the problem isn't that the specs are too low, but that the game is considered not compatible with something in the new Mini. Which might end up being a problem for everyone, if whatever's incompatible is something that's going to be appearing in more new Macs.

    Calisanna, I think you ought to write back and ask support exactly what part of your brand new computer is incompatible, because it sounds weird that the Mac version is incompatible with a new Mac. I wonder if the support guy you talked to was confused.

    I, too, play on a Mac mini of 2011(!), and it is just fine to play, although obviously not the best.
    Mac mini (Mid 2011) (Spec-ed best CTO build back then...), still running 10.11 El Capitan (avoiding High Sierra just for GW2)
    2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 (Dual core, wished it was quad...)
    16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (max-ed out)
    AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB (Discrete GPU, but tiny RAM size for present standards...)
    w/ two (2) 27" 1920 x 1080 Full HD IPS-LED LCD monitors
    and GW2 on external Thunderbolt 2 SSD drive (Wicked-fast, probably the fastest-possible external Thunderbolt 2 drive I can use with my (old) Mac mini)

    Yes, I would love to have a faster & newer Mac, with Thunderbolt 3, but mine still works fine so far for my needs.

  • Cragga the Eighty Third.6015Cragga the Eighty Third.6015 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2018

    @Menadena.7482 said:
    The important distinction is what specs you are running. For example, my iMac is from 2013 but I bumped it up to 24 GB of memory, bought the fastest CPU chip apple offered, and boot/play the game from an external fast SSD. On the other hand the macbook pro I use is from 2015 and fully stock ... when I travel I use it for my daily login reward and it is slow as anything. While it will cost more overbuilding your machine will add a few years of reasonable life to it so my 2013 iMac is probably still faster than my spouse's newer mostly-stock iMac in some ways.

    Well, my mini was the cheapest rung on the ladder (and a hundred bucks cheaper for being last year's model when I bought it), so:
    2.6ghz Intel core i5
    8gb 1600mhz DDr3
    Intel iris 1536 mb
    Running Yosemite with no intention of upgrading. (10.10.5)
    Running the game off an external SSD via USB
    I don't really know enough to be able to draw a comparison, but am pretty sure I do not have any sort of high-performance gamer's rig going on here.

    So that's why I'm curious and worried why a brand new Mini is no longer compatible with the game. Different chipset? Different graphics card? What's going on? Hearing that someone was told it is simply not compatible with the game sort of takes me back to the horror days of game support in the 90s/00s, where your first e-mail got you a useless automated response based on keywords, your second attempt got answered by someone paid by the number of 'solutions' they sent out in an hour who clearly did not read beyond the first sentence of your e-mail before copy-pasting solutions that either had nothing to do with your problem or ignored the fact that you had already said in your e-mail that you had tried that solution without success, and your third (angry) e-mail was answered by someone who said that you had no right to be annoyed with the bad support, because the problem was your computer which made it not their responsibility.

    Anet support, in my experience, has always been WAY better than that.

    So. GW2 not compatible with new Macs? Details would be appreciated, even if I have no immediate upgrade plans.

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Minis are not new, in fact on mac forums the phrase 'new mini' is sure to bring laughter as they do not get updated often. If you have a setup (between specs and game settings) that you are happy with, great, just be aware a mini is often not a performance machine for games and anything else resource intensive. There is a reason why that line is low-cost, and it is not because you need to buy a monitor for it. Remember, mac pros do not come with monitors either.

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • The point is not that I think the newest mini should be an awesome performance machine. (Which I never said.)

    The point is, the Mac version of the game should be able to run on a new Mac--of whatever sort--and if it doesn't, it's most likely something that may become a problem with all new Macs.. If the game is incompatible with new hardware or software in Mac computers, the game is going to need an update.

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Cragga the Eighty Third.6015 said:
    The point is not that I think the newest mini should be an awesome performance machine. (Which I never said.)

    The point is, the Mac version of the game should be able to run on a new Mac--of whatever sort--and if it doesn't, it's most likely something that may become a problem with all new Macs.. If the game is incompatible with new hardware or software in Mac computers, the game is going to need an update.

    I think a misunderstanding came in. I was not saying anything against recent minis, rather I meant that minis (no matter the generation or game) should not be listed as even minimal requirements as that yields a false expectation that the game will play well on them. The game launches on my off-the-shelf 2015 macbook pro too but I would not suggest it for a gaming platform either.

    Minis are great for some uses, I have seen them used by companies. They just can give an uneven mac experience for other uses, although you can tweak some things to make the performance not as bad.

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • Hey guys n gals. I have been reading over your responses to my question. Again, I know nothing about computers but I can give you the exact wording I was given about my Mac mini. So by "new" I mean I literally went to the store and bought it within the last month. I don't know if it is new software. I would assume that the Mac mini would have been updated since the last time I bought one 4 years ago. Mac minis suit my needs well for photog reasons. Had no idea about gaming. It had always worked fine in the past until the 64 bit.

    This is what I was told when I sent in my comp info
    "After reviewing the details of your Mac's configuration, it appears your system does not meet the minimum specifications to play Guild Wars 2. Specifically, your system's Intel Iris 1536 MB does not conform to the required minimum specifications." AND
    "Note: Due to potential changes, system requirements may change over time and you may be required to upgrade your current system (or obtain a new system) to continue to play the game."

    I hope that it is ok I directed quotes from support.

    Here is info on my Mac- again forgive me if I don't add correct info as comps are beyond my scope. They are for gaming and photoshop only for me lol.
    Memory Size: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Model: Intel Iris 1536 MB
    Mac OS 10.13.3

    I only updated to High Sierra after gw2 stopped working. Hope this helps. Thanks again folks. I just downloaded patch and will see if its any better. Fingers crossed.

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Calisanna.8732 said:
    Hey guys n gals. I have been reading over your responses to my question. Again, I know nothing about computers but I can give you the exact wording I was given about my Mac mini. So by "new" I mean I literally went to the store and bought it within the last month. I don't know if it is new software. I would assume that the Mac mini would have been updated since the last time I bought one 4 years ago. Mac minis suit my needs well for photog reasons. Had no idea about gaming. It had always worked fine in the past until the 64 bit.

    This is what I was told when I sent in my comp info
    "After reviewing the details of your Mac's configuration, it appears your system does not meet the minimum specifications to play Guild Wars 2. Specifically, your system's Intel Iris 1536 MB does not conform to the required minimum specifications." AND
    "Note: Due to potential changes, system requirements may change over time and you may be required to upgrade your current system (or obtain a new system) to continue to play the game."

    I hope that it is ok I directed quotes from support.

    Here is info on my Mac- again forgive me if I don't add correct info as comps are beyond my scope. They are for gaming and photoshop only for me lol.
    Memory Size: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Model: Intel Iris 1536 MB
    Mac OS 10.13.3

    I only updated to High Sierra after gw2 stopped working. Hope this helps. Thanks again folks. I just downloaded patch and will see if its any better. Fingers crossed.

    The latest release of the mac mini was in October of 2014. We might get a new model later this year but that is not a guarantee. If so, most likely it will get announced this summer and be available in the fall. The Mac Minis and Mac Pros are not as frequently updated as the laptops and the iMacs.

    Look at https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/201862978-Guild-Wars-2-Mac-Edition . Part of that lists supported macs and it includes the 2014 mac mini.

    I am not sure why support would say you do not meet the minimum specs. The past few models of the mini had either an i5 or an i7 chip, and the minimum specs call for either. For the cpu look at the 'processor' line by doing an 'about this mac' from the apple menu on the upper left of your screen. For example, mine says "3.5 GHz Intel Core i7". I am guessing they thought "intel Iris 1536 MB" was your cpu (rather than your graphics) and it did not match someone's script but if you do that I think you will find you have an i5 or an i7 at a certain speed measured in GHz.

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • @Menadena.7482 yup its 2.5 GH intel core I5. I actually tried the game today after patch and it is def running a lot smoother. I still have to run low on most graphic settings in WVW to avoid issues but its totally playable! So glad that I have kept up with the forums and have wonderful people to help me. Thanks so much for your information!

  • Cragga the Eighty Third.6015Cragga the Eighty Third.6015 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2018

    @Calisanna.8732 said:
    @Menadena.7482 yup its 2.5 GH intel core I5. I actually tried the game today after patch and it is def running a lot smoother. I still have to run low on most graphic settings in WVW to avoid issues but its totally playable! So glad that I have kept up with the forums and have wonderful people to help me. Thanks so much for your information!

    Glad to hear it! Have you also considered getting an external SSD drive and installing the game on there? It sounds like your specs are actually very close to mine, and the Solid State Drive was the only thing that made it playable for me before the patch. Now, after the last patch, I am still running it off the drive, and have turned up some of my settings to medium because it still works better for me that way than it did before the patch with everything on Low. ^^ (And I put Animation on High now and get to see all the pretty effects.)

    @Menadena.7482 said:

    @Cragga the Eighty Third.6015 said:
    The point is not that I think the newest mini should be an awesome performance machine. (Which I never said.)

    The point is, the Mac version of the game should be able to run on a new Mac--of whatever sort--and if it doesn't, it's most likely something that may become a problem with all new Macs.. If the game is incompatible with new hardware or software in Mac computers, the game is going to need an update.

    I think a misunderstanding came in. I was not saying anything against recent minis, rather I meant that minis (no matter the generation or game) should not be listed as even minimal requirements as that yields a false expectation that the game will play well on them. The game launches on my off-the-shelf 2015 macbook pro too but I would not suggest it for a gaming platform either.

    Minis are great for some uses, I have seen them used by companies. They just can give an uneven mac experience for other uses, although you can tweak some things to make the performance not as bad.

    Sorry if I got argumentative, I was up till 2:30 last night, which tends to make me owly. And I had no idea that Mac Minis were not being updated. It's kind of shocking that Menadena's new computer has almost the exact same specs as my low-end 2014 one.

  • Can you suggest an SSD drive that you use so I may look it up? I have one that backups my portraits but not sure if it’s the same thing! Thanks @Cragga the Eighty Third.6015

  • Cragga the Eighty Third.6015Cragga the Eighty Third.6015 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2018

    @Calisanna.8732 said:
    Can you suggest an SSD drive that you use so I may look it up? I have one that backups my portraits but not sure if it’s the same thing! Thanks @Cragga the Eighty Third.6015

    I don't really have a particular recommendation, but I know Sandisk and Kingston are reliable name brands. I bought an internal Sandisk Ultra II SSD (240gb) and a cheap external SSD-to-USB enclosure to connect it up. You can also buy external SSD drives which are all set to plug and play. They range wildly in price, though.

    The main things to watch are: Make sure it's an SSD (because the no-moving-parts is what makes it fast): Make sure you have a way to connect it: Make sure you have enough memory on it to run the game. The game app takes up 38gb on my drive, so you can probably get away with a smaller drive than the 240gb I went for. (But more disk space is always nice.)

    Two other things I'll mention: as I've posted before, when the game is on an external disk, you need a different address in the terminal to run the repair app--
    /volumes/NameOfDrive/Guild\ Wars\ 2\ 64-bit.app/Contents/MacOS/GuildWars2 -repair
    (Replace NameOfDrive with the name of your drive.)

    One problem I have, and I believe it's a Yosemite bug that you will probably not have to deal with: if I leave the disk plugged in and idle, for some reason after a short time the computer can no longer communicate with it, and gives me annoying messages like "Your disk can't be ejected because it may be in use" or "the app can't be started" or -36 errors. After trying several suggested fixes online, I gave up, and now only plug the disk in when I'm about to use it, and eject it as soon as I'm done. It's annoying, but with any luck at all, you won't have the same issue, since it doesn't seem to be widespread.

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Calisanna.8732 said:
    @Menadena.7482 yup its 2.5 GH intel core I5. I actually tried the game today after patch and it is def running a lot smoother. I still have to run low on most graphic settings in WVW to avoid issues but its totally playable! So glad that I have kept up with the forums and have wonderful people to help me. Thanks so much for your information!

    You might want to add an SSD if you want. Both to have the game and boot off of. The genius bar will tell us you can not boot off of an external SSD but ..... yes you can.

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Cragga the Eighty Third.6015 said:
    Sorry if I got argumentative, I was up till 2:30 last night, which tends to make me owly. And I had no idea that Mac Minis were not being updated. It's kind of shocking that Menadena's new computer has almost the exact same specs as my low-end 2014 one.

    No problem, you should see some of my posts when I am running on fumes. Anyway, when I buy a new machine I think "what would make me happy to have in 5 years". Not that the future of computers can be predicted with accuracy, but generally this means getting a high-spec thing from Apple then upgrading stuff with aftermarket components. If my next mac has soldered ram I will scream.

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Calisanna.8732 said:
    Can you suggest an SSD drive that you use so I may look it up? I have one that backups my portraits but not sure if it’s the same thing! Thanks @Cragga the Eighty Third.6015

    Go to mac sales.com and see what they have for your machine. I have the 1/2 TB Mercury SSD running on a USB3 port (roughly the same speed as the thunderbolt 2 ports on this model mac).

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • I use MacMall.com, myself. Don't know what country you would be ordering from, of course.

  • DrMORO.4627DrMORO.4627 Member ✭✭
    edited April 19, 2018

    @Calisanna.8732 said:
    Can you suggest an SSD drive that you use so I may look it up? I have one that backups my portraits but not sure if it’s the same thing! Thanks @Cragga the Eighty Third.6015

    FYI, about playing off external SDD drives, I bought off Amazon a Monster Digital Overdrive Thunderbolt (SSDOT-0240-A), a 240 GB SDD connected by Thunderbolt 2 to my Macs, at the cost of $150. The disk speed is VERY fast, faster than the USB3 external SDD drives I've tested so far. Minimum 2 times, maybe 3 times as fast. The GW2 loads very quickly, with minimal wait time, even on my Mac mini (2011), and plays fine, at the lowest settings, that is...

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    BTW, look into any SSD you get. Unless you have prior experience with the company you are likely to run into great SSDs and meh ones. Also remember that overprovisioning (unformatted space) on a SSD is important. If you can, install OSX to the SSD as well rather than just copying GW2 to it as that will yield even more speed.

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @DrMORO.4627 said:

    @Calisanna.8732 said:
    Can you suggest an SSD drive that you use so I may look it up? I have one that backups my portraits but not sure if it’s the same thing! Thanks @Cragga the Eighty Third.6015

    FYI, about playing off external SDD drives, I bought off Amazon a Monster Digital Overdrive Thunderbolt (SSDOT-0240-A), a 240 GB SDD connected by Thunderbolt 2 to my Macs, at the cost of $150. The disk speed is VERY fast, faster than the USB3 external SDD drives I've tested so far. Minimum 2 times, maybe 3 times as fast. The GW2 loads very quickly, with minimal wait time, even on my Mac mini (2011), and plays fine, at the lowest settings, that is...

    On my next system, whatever it is, I will definitely boot off of TB3 unless the SSD is internal. All the tests I found at the time when researching my current system said I would get comparable speeds no matter if it was TB2 or USB3 and since the case did not have a TB2 connection at the time I just went with the USB3. I am guessing TB2 got a boost after that but TB3 would not even make it a question.

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • DrMORO.4627DrMORO.4627 Member ✭✭
    edited April 21, 2018

    FYI, interesting article on AppleInsider about the next-gen Mac mini, possibly to arrive this year 2018.
    Mac mini: What we want to see in an update to Apple's low-cost desktop

    Wish BIG and bold!!!

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I would LOVE to see a mini that is basically an iMac without a monitor. There would still be issues like not having a dedicated graphics card but I am guessing that is less a priority than other hardware issues.

    Given the pro redesign you can combine the mini and pro lines: the more minis are hooked up the more powerful the pro. Introduce some specialty units that can plug in there as well, like a unit whose primary purpose is to hold a full-size graphics card. Also mini/pro central units with a variety of cpu chips.

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • mikexg.7329mikexg.7329 Member ✭✭

    Currently running 64 bit client on a mid 2015 top of the line MacBook Pro. I am getting some fuzzy textures and FPS drop from time to time, especially in large scale areas with lots of particle effects going on (even on low settings). I am currently in the market for a new laptop and was curious if the max configuration
    https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MPTT2LL/A&step=config#
    is viable or if I should dust off my 3-4 year old gaming PC. I don't really have a lot of room on my desk so my preference is the new Mac running it well, but between being a Mac (not ideal.... for gaming) and a laptop.... I am just hoping for better performance than I am currently getting. Does anyone play on this model or something comparable?

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.