Hey folks,We’re excited to be launching the Guild Wars 2 Mac 64-bit Test Client today (June 21, 2017), and want to offer you an opportunity to provide feedback and ask questions in this forum thread.Read the blog post here.And an FAQ has been posted in our Knowledge Base.Please share your thoughts!

This is a recreation from the old forums. All feedback given there has been noted. No specific reason for anyone to repeat their earlier feedback.

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sometimes get a whole system freeze after logging in, and hitting "READY". The window goes to "Untitled", and then should go to the actual Character select window, but just locks me out of doing anything with the black "Untitled" window, no control of the mouse nor keyboard, nothing. I need to hard restart by long-pressing the power button. Not always thought, feels like old times when using Window$ and it was 'Plug & Pray'. Spooky moment of waiting after clicking "READY", will it run or crash...

Thank you Anet! The 64-bit client now seems very solid as far as not crashing and the keyboard bug seems to be gone. I haven't had either of these issues for quite some time. The "ghosting" problem still seems to be happening, but it seems to be capturing the sky now instead of the land. I'm sure this has something to do with the Ambient Occlusion setting, which by-the-way, keeps defalting to the "On" mode everytime I relaunch the game. I still notice that some of the trees and bushes flicker with what looks like lighting, but that's a minor thing. Also, the round labels that appear on the ground in WvW camps sometimes seem to detach and float around the screen. It's like they're not locked down to the ground. Anyway, I hope these notes keep helping you solve things. Thanks again!

--Astral Myth

@DrMORO.4627 said:I sometimes get a whole system freeze after logging in, and hitting "READY". The window goes to "Untitled", and then should go to the actual Character select window, but just locks me out of doing anything with the black "Untitled" window, no control of the mouse nor keyboard, nothing. I need to hard restart by long-pressing the power button. Not always thought, feels like old times when using Window$ and it was 'Plug & Pray'. Spooky moment of waiting after clicking "READY", will it run or crash...

Related to my own post, I have a question:How/where can I look into to see the crash and/or error log for the GW2 game when it crashed?

I do not remember if I see the "Unexpectedly" shut down error & report dialogue after restarting the Mac once power-cycling it.I will try to remember to check for the dialogue if any, and if a report is made, I will save it as well.

The previous forum thread was a bit overwhelming to comb through so I appreciate kind of a fresh start. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what was already said so that I don't repeat it. I've been running the 64-bit client on an iMac (mid-2011/16 GB RAM/i7/Sierra) but I read that it was recommended for newer Macs. Should I be running the old Mac-Beta instead? I currently play the game on Windows through Bootcamp we well, as I prefer it to the Mac-Beta, though a native mac client I can run on my current system would be ideal. The 64-bit runs ok, but loading screens are much longer than they ever have been (on the Mac-Beta or Windows) and I have lighting/shadow and texture issues along with the following:

• Missing or replaced clothing and skin textures on Character Select
  • Face textures appear low-res (mainly noticeable on Human/Norn but visible on other races as well).
  • Characters have an eternal shadow over them unless facing a direct light source.
  • UI, gliders, other player characters and nodes take a pretty long while to load.
  • Random crashes. (I can't figure out if this last one happens because of the client or my system, to be honest.)

Is there anything I should be providing that I haven't yet? Should I not be using the 64-bit client on my current (older) iMac? Whatever the answer is, I still appreciate the effort of bringing us a Mac client. I'd just love to be able to actually run it. :D Thanks for all the hard work.

Anyone with bad fps on the 64-bit client compared to the 32-bit?

I've been playing on the 32-bit client on lowest resolution and can get 40 fps on average in places like dungeons/fractals, getting lower fps on Heart of The Mist, 30 fps average, and Lion's Arch, depending on how populated the area is 10-30 fps. I tried the 64-bit a while back and the fps I had in Dungeons/Fractals is as low as I would have in Lion's Arch in the 32-bit client. And when I visited LA on the 64-bit client, it was jumping around between 10-5 fps.

Here are my specs: http://imgur.com/a/IL6sx

@Adam.9572 said:Anyone with bad fps on the 64-bit client compared to the 32-bit?

I've been playing on the 32-bit client on lowest resolution and can get 40 fps on average in places like dungeons/fractals, getting lower fps on Heart of The Mist, 30 fps average, and Lion's Arch, depending on how populated the area is 10-30 fps. I tried the 64-bit a while back and the fps I had in Dungeons/Fractals is as low as I would have in Lion's Arch in the 32-bit client. And when I visited LA on the 64-bit client, it was jumping around between 10-5 fps.

Pretty much my results no matter how much I mess with the settings etc.

The new client is STILL UNPLAYABLE and we are now required to use the new one despite it not being ready. This is going to make the expansion and the game unplayable until all of the issues are ironed out.

@Adam.9572 said:Anyone with bad fps on the 64-bit client compared to the 32-bit?

I have not been looking at it much recently since it is still a beta, but I looked recently and it was at 30 fps. The 32 bit would run at 60, but it was much lower graphics settings too.

Raw fps is not ideal though as it is dynamic based on what is in the scene (if nothing moves ideally your fps would be less than 1). At a crowded boss fight (the maw on a daily) it dropped to 7, which is pretty typical for any client.

I'm not sure if this was in the old thread or not, but the only problem I'm having with the mac client (64-bit) is the effect circles that are usually on the ground don't stay there. The same thing happens with the circles of an NPC or player when you have them selected and all the ground damage from players/mobs. This makes some of the new fractals very difficult to do because you can't quite tell where things are happening.

@Jon Olson.8439 said:

@MaxOS.7531 said:any update on the issue that the client reads a ton of data from the hard drive?

Not at this time. We are still investigating it.

Good to hear. I hate to complain but looking at activity monitor the amount of data the client reads is absolutely insane and makes me genuinely concerned about what it's doing to my poor SSD.

That said, I will say that the performance of the Mac client has absolutely been improving lately, which is wonderful.

Still: panning the minimap or the big map is REALLY unperformant. Textures are often missing and appear within half a minute (have to wait often). Game runs on lowest graphic settings still quite slow. Often graphic bugs like NPC standing behind objects, their names are in front of those objects. In WvW (and on PvE also) I can see often the small health bars of enemies (other servers), who are behind walls, rocks... so I can actually see them when they think they are hidden (and should be).

But also: That keyboard bug seems to be fixed! Whoohoo! My trading post, especially the gem shop now works every time. The performance is getting better since release of the new Mac client, so far I can really use it on my Mac.

So please go on with the performance improvements!!

Galmac

As someone who could not get through 10 minutes of the game without crashing, or having the keyboard issues, I have suffered from neither of these problems for the past week or so. While there are still a few graphic glitches, from a playability standpoint, the 64 bit client is finally a better value proposition for me than the old wrapper; even on my low benchmark Mac Mini. Any improvements at this stage would be a bonus.

Thank you for the efforts: especially with improvements coming in time for the new expansion. \o/

I'm not sure what the hell is going on but I have a better system than some of the people who are saying the new client runs fine for them (like the people managing on an macbook air for goodness sake). It doesn't for me at all. In fact, it's still horrific and, although the vanishing textures have stopped, the performance is getting markedly worse with every update. When I turn the camera, my fps vanishes and I have to wait about 3-5 seconds for the game to sort itself out. The same happens pretty much any time someone throws a skill in my direction. So, I am sticking with the old client; it, in my opinion, is far superior because I can actually play the game with it, even if it won't open half the time.

System specs as follows:Processor Name: Intel Core i7Processor Speed: 2.5 GHzNumber of Processors: 1Total Number of Cores: 4L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KBL3 Cache: 6 MBMemory: 16 GB DDR3AMD Radeon R9 M370X + Intel Iris ProVRAM (AMD Radeon R9 M370X): 2048 MB

So I finally decided to reinstall my GW2 client to 64-bit as I've been using the previous beta client for years now. After the installation it all went downhill from there... I can barely launch my game, it takes about 10min just to load into the game. Once in the game, oh boy, this is where the fun part starts. I get 2-3 fps... I have a pretty decent iMac and played the game on relatively good graphics with also good performance for years now.

I notice with the 64-bit client I can't change my resolution. My machine struggles every time I even attempt to move around or select anything when running the game. This is a big concern and it seems like I have to startup my bootcamp again, which is not pleasant experience. If anyone has any advice or can help, am I doing something wrong? I'm even running the game better on my MacBook Air (with old GW2 client) then on my powerful iMac... I really thought the 64-bit client is better and suppose to be an improvement?

So, this is a bit of a shot in the dark perhaps, for ceratain people having performance problems.I've owned macs for many years, and sometimes after sleep, there have for years been issues with certain models where performance after wake up has been very VERY sluggish.

I would suggest if your system is performing way below what you would expect, that you try googling the procedure for "resetting PRAM and SMC" and see if that helps. I know on at least a couple of models I've owned, that has often resulted in increased performance.

@argyler.2503 said:With macOS High Sierra (10.13) coming out on Sept. 25th, I was curious, has the 64-bit client been tested with the new OS version?

In fairness, even if it hasn't I'd still be reasonably confident that it should work without any major issues. The biggest changes on a technical level are the introduction of the APFS filesystem (which is a bit more low level than what should affect Guild Wars 2) and Metal 2 (but Guild Wars 2 uses OpenGL).

That said, my understanding is that the beta of High Sierra is available to those who want it so I'm sure there's someone here who has tested with it and can confirm whether or not we can expect anything to break.

This has been my experience also.

After a while away from the game, I upgraded from the 32 bit client to the 64 bit client because the 32-bit client would not work once I upgraded to 10.12. The 64 bit client now works, but performance is terrible. PvP, WvW, and large events used to run fine to tolerably at moderate graphics settings; I can now get them to work if I turn the graphics settings to bare minimum. Bare minimum gives me about 35 fps, "autodetect" gives ~10 fps. 35 fps was low-end on autodetect previously.

iMac 2011, 10 Gb RAM, 4 Tb external firewire drive.