Feedback: Guild Wars 2 Mac 64-Bit Client - Page 15 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Feedback: Guild Wars 2 Mac 64-Bit Client

11213151718

Comments

  • I believe Jon Olson is no longer at ANET. I'd love to be proven wrong, but his linkIN profile says looking for new opportunities.

  • DrMORO.4627DrMORO.4627 Member ✭✭

    @Sonicbug.7341 said:
    I believe Jon Olson is no longer at ANET. I'd love to be proven wrong, but his linkIN profile says looking for new opportunities.

    I wonder who is the next/present lead for all things Mac-related at GW2 HQ?
    Peek out to say Hi! to everyone?

  • So I'm having an issue with my airpods not connecting to the client. My other Bluetooth earphones work perfectly, but I don't like using them for gaming given they tend to isolate me from the rest of the world and the airpods I can still hear outside sounds, but the game isn't disturbing my roommate. Is there something that I'm missing or is this a bug?

    Sorry if this has already been discussed I did a quick search of the forums already.

  • Cragga the Eighty Third.6015Cragga the Eighty Third.6015 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2019

    It wasn't in the update notes, but beetle adventures are not crashing for me any more. I have not tested other adventures, but no reason to suppose it wasn't the same bug affecting all.

    Thanks, Mac team!

  • Yeah, I just tested out a Thunderhead Peak adventure at no more crashes! Thanks whoever is left of the Mac team!

  • @Catfish Jon.7038 said:
    I'm getting "Connection error(s) detected." error.
    This is the third occurrence. The first time I fixed it by updating my DNS server list.
    The second time it just started working after a few weeks away.
    Home network works (wife is playing GW2 right now on her PC - same network).
    GW2 is already an exception in my Firewall.
    My DNS settings have not changed.
    Traceroute fails on about the 12th hop.

    Anyone got a fix? Bought Path of Fire a week ago and I really don't like being shut out of the game.

    How do you update a DNS server? I'm not tech savvy and after speaking with a GM or dev, they pointed me to a website about trying to fix a connection or something to their server. I accidentally deleted the kitten thing and can't pull back up the email. >.<

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Jadjuka.6521 said:

    @Catfish Jon.7038 said:
    I'm getting "Connection error(s) detected." error.
    This is the third occurrence. The first time I fixed it by updating my DNS server list.
    The second time it just started working after a few weeks away.
    Home network works (wife is playing GW2 right now on her PC - same network).
    GW2 is already an exception in my Firewall.
    My DNS settings have not changed.
    Traceroute fails on about the 12th hop.

    Anyone got a fix? Bought Path of Fire a week ago and I really don't like being shut out of the game.

    How do you update a DNS server? I'm not tech savvy and after speaking with a GM or dev, they pointed me to a website about trying to fix a connection or something to their server. I accidentally deleted the kitten thing and can't pull back up the email. >.<

    If you are not tech savvy you probably do not have to worry about the dns server as it would only be on your computer if you deliberately put it there. You MIGHT have put something in your hosts file in the etc directory, google "hosts file" and "mac os" (or "osx") for more information.

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • @Aruixe.8956 said:
    Same here, random crashes every 20 to 30 minutes, it won't allow me to continue in the story mode because I usually crash by the end of an episode :disappointed:.

    Logs are pretty cryptic:

    --> Crash <--
    Signal: Segmentation fault: 11 (addr=0x0000000000000000)
    App: Gw64
    Pid: 63841
    BaseAddr: 0x0000000000010000
    ProgramId: 101
    Build: 95112
    When: 2019-02-08T14:15:54Z
    Uptime: 00:00:04
    Flags: 0x0

    Exactly what's happening to me now. Same error. Did you figure it out? The game is simply unplayable. I DC after 5 mins max. Too bad...Anet is losing a lot of gem purchases haha.

  • Nilbot.7183Nilbot.7183 Member
    edited April 6, 2019

    I think I have found the way to both reproduce a mouse issue and narrowing down to what caused it. The mouse issue I'm describing is if you use external USB mouse to pan in map mode (or minimap corner too), the entire experience is very stuttery and slow. It only happens if you are using external USB mouse, if you are using magictouch pad the slowness goes away. It's like playing different game, all the stuttery are gone.

    So I think it might be because there is different code governing whether the mouse input come from external mouse and the input come from touchpad. or maybe there is additional translation code from external code to touchpad code. Somewhere that translation has made the panning so slow. Feels like an order of magnitude slower. It might help you to pin-point where that bug is.

    P.S. I would like to add that even in normal mode, touchpad panning or turning seemed more smooth

  • grewer.4056grewer.4056 Member
    edited April 11, 2019

    Dear all,
    I just tried to install GW2 on my new MPB.
    But everytime I try to enter the game the game freezes. Only thing I see is the name of my character and its level etc from the char select screen.

    I already tried the repair command but it freezes also after a few seconds.

    Any hints or tips how to fix this?

    Greetings
    Grewer

  • @grewer.4056 said:
    Dear all,
    I just tried to install GW2 on my new MPB.
    But everytime I try to enter the game the game freezes. Only thing I see is the name of my character and its level etc from the char select screen.

    I already tried the repair command but it freezes also after a few seconds.

    Any hints or tips how to fix this?

    Greetings
    Grewer

    If your Mac uses two graphics card(one onboard, the other external) make sure that the external is the default one. The external or discrete is usually the more powerful card.
    If it's nvidia, you should be able to change this with the nvidia software preference, if it's others like radeon I don't know.

  • actually it's probably best if you dual boot with windows 7 using bootcamp, because gw2 runs faster on it.

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Cross Santiago.6327 said:

    @grewer.4056 said:
    Dear all,
    I just tried to install GW2 on my new MPB.
    But everytime I try to enter the game the game freezes. Only thing I see is the name of my character and its level etc from the char select screen.

    I already tried the repair command but it freezes also after a few seconds.

    Any hints or tips how to fix this?

    Greetings
    Grewer

    If your Mac uses two graphics card(one onboard, the other external) make sure that the external is the default one. The external or discrete is usually the more powerful card.
    If it's nvidia, you should be able to change this with the nvidia software preference, if it's others like radeon I don't know.

    Actually, would love to use nvidia but apple does not play nice with them. Amusingly my other machine was made during the few years they did declare a short lived truce.

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • Yes, seems that it has to do something with the graphics card. If I have an external monitor connected the game freezes on start. If I have only the internal monitor everything works fine.

  • I have had almost zero issues with the 64bit Mac client, ran a lot on the old one too, but lately I've started to notice quitting doesn't work quite well. It shades the gfx a bit after I press "Exit to desktop" but then it gets stuck. Just happened to me a few times the last weeks. Don't know it if was related to the recent updates or not.

  • The 64-bit Mac Client always crashes, each and every time I use it, averagely 15 minutes after the login.
    When the crash occurs it is not possible to save the report with copy paste, however at the beginning it reads "Abort Trap 6", something like that.
    Other defects, which at this point sound much less important than the crashes:
    the 1920x1080 window has no zoom out options, apart from a "window", which is very small.
    Also, the bar to bring the window back to the Dock and restore the monitor view does not work.

  • Talek.6795Talek.6795 Member ✭✭

    @DrMORO.4627 said:

    @Sonicbug.7341 said:
    I believe Jon Olson is no longer at ANET. I'd love to be proven wrong, but his linkIN profile says looking for new opportunities.

    I wonder who is the next/present lead for all things Mac-related at GW2 HQ?
    Peek out to say Hi! to everyone?

    That's a good question. Look forward to hear news from Anet.

  • I'm not having major play issues, but sometimes when I try to quit it hangs up and I have to cmd-T and force quit.

  • Is there any update on making the Coherent UI Host process 64 bit instead of 32 bit?

  • sunrun.4521sunrun.4521 Member ✭✭

    @PadmaPhala.1824 said:
    Is there any update on making the Coherent UI Host process 64 bit instead of 32 bit?

    I'm interested in this too, but it looks like we won't get a reply.

    We're now just one week away from WWDC and Apple releasing the first dev beta of the next version of macOS, which GW2 presumably won't run on unless ArenaNet fixes this. At the very least, they need to fix it in the next three months or there are going to be a lot of people who upgrade to macOS and then find GW2 no longer runs.

    Hopefully Apple doesn't also take the opportunity to change OpenGL from deprecated to removed in the next version, or the 64-bit issue will be the least of our worries (it does seem more likely that OpenGL will be available for a little while longer, but we'll find out soon enough...).

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @sunrun.4521 said:

    @PadmaPhala.1824 said:
    Is there any update on making the Coherent UI Host process 64 bit instead of 32 bit?

    I'm interested in this too, but it looks like we won't get a reply.

    We're now just one week away from WWDC and Apple releasing the first dev beta of the next version of macOS, which GW2 presumably won't run on unless ArenaNet fixes this. At the very least, they need to fix it in the next three months or there are going to be a lot of people who upgrade to macOS and then find GW2 no longer runs.

    Hopefully Apple doesn't also take the opportunity to change OpenGL from deprecated to removed in the next version, or the 64-bit issue will be the least of our worries (it does seem more likely that OpenGL will be available for a little while longer, but we'll find out soon enough...).

    Yes, ironically by rewriting they could have made the situation worse. I really do not care about skyscales and such if I am unable to actually play the game on my machine. Does anyone know if they even have a mac team over there now?

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • DrMORO.4627DrMORO.4627 Member ✭✭
    edited May 27, 2019

    @Menadena.7482 said:

    @sunrun.4521 said:

    @PadmaPhala.1824 said:
    Is there any update on making the Coherent UI Host process 64 bit instead of 32 bit?

    I'm interested in this too, but it looks like we won't get a reply.

    We're now just one week away from WWDC and Apple releasing the first dev beta of the next version of macOS, which GW2 presumably won't run on unless ArenaNet fixes this. At the very least, they need to fix it in the next three months or there are going to be a lot of people who upgrade to macOS and then find GW2 no longer runs.

    Hopefully Apple doesn't also take the opportunity to change OpenGL from deprecated to removed in the next version, or the 64-bit issue will be the least of our worries (it does seem more likely that OpenGL will be available for a little while longer, but we'll find out soon enough...).

    Yes, ironically by rewriting they could have made the situation worse. I really do not care about skyscales and such if I am unable to actually play the game on my machine. Does anyone know if they even have a mac team over there now?

    Oh man... This all sounds 'not good' for Mac GW2-ers at all...

    And for one that is seriously thinking it is time to get a new Mac, the future does not look any good for GW2-ing on the newer and faster Mac to get.

    I am also very much puzzled that Anet's Mac destination has NOT been official or even un-officially announced anywhere after the massive internal change on the development side.

    Besides, WHO are the Mac people within Anet now?
    Please come out and say Hi! to this GW2-loving, yet very worried Mac community, and right now.
    We are very much worried of our GW2 on Mac.

  • Matoro.9708Matoro.9708 Member ✭✭✭

    Custom music still isn't working. I really tried everything for days and days, but to no avail. It sounds like the whole thing will get broken anyways soon, which is depressing, because I only have access to my relative's mac and nothing else as I'm quite broke. If it gets hosed, bye fellas.

    Society either needs a turret rework or to free bobby schmurda and I wonder which comes first?

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Matoro.9708 said:
    Custom music still isn't working. I really tried everything for days and days, but to no avail. It sounds like the whole thing will get broken anyways soon, which is depressing, because I only have access to my relative's mac and nothing else as I'm quite broke. If it gets hosed, bye fellas.

    It is a bit of a hack but what I do is have custom itunes playlists for each character. It would be great if the different things (zone change, battle, etc) could fire off events but priorities.

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @PadmaPhala.1824 said:
    Is there any update on making the Coherent UI Host process 64 bit instead of 32 bit?

    Do we know that is the only 32 bit dependency in the 64 bit app? If so does anyone know if there is a workaround?

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • @Menadena.7482 said:

    @PadmaPhala.1824 said:
    Is there any update on making the Coherent UI Host process 64 bit instead of 32 bit?

    Do we know that is the only 32 bit dependency in the 64 bit app? If so does anyone know if there is a workaround?

    Yes, I think it is the only 32 bit process when GW2 is running.

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @PadmaPhala.1824 said:

    @Menadena.7482 said:

    @PadmaPhala.1824 said:
    Is there any update on making the Coherent UI Host process 64 bit instead of 32 bit?

    Do we know that is the only 32 bit dependency in the 64 bit app? If so does anyone know if there is a workaround?

    Yes, I think it is the only 32 bit process when GW2 is running.

    What does the process do though? Given I only see the message now and then though I wonder if it is something we can live without?

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • @Menadena.7482 said:

    @PadmaPhala.1824 said:

    @Menadena.7482 said:

    @PadmaPhala.1824 said:
    Is there any update on making the Coherent UI Host process 64 bit instead of 32 bit?

    Do we know that is the only 32 bit dependency in the 64 bit app? If so does anyone know if there is a workaround?

    Yes, I think it is the only 32 bit process when GW2 is running.

    What does the process do though? Given I only see the message now and then though I wonder if it is something we can live without?

    I don't work for ArenaNet and I could very easily be wrong but my understanding is that the CoherentUIHost is used for things like the Black Lion Trading Post. Essentially it allows them to embed Google Chrome within the game for showing web content without having to open a separate browser.

    It should be fairly straightforward to swap it out for a 64-bit version but then I don't work for ArenaNet so couldn't say for sure.

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @HippieJoel.9537 said:

    @Menadena.7482 said:

    @PadmaPhala.1824 said:

    @Menadena.7482 said:

    @PadmaPhala.1824 said:
    Is there any update on making the Coherent UI Host process 64 bit instead of 32 bit?

    Do we know that is the only 32 bit dependency in the 64 bit app? If so does anyone know if there is a workaround?

    Yes, I think it is the only 32 bit process when GW2 is running.

    What does the process do though? Given I only see the message now and then though I wonder if it is something we can live without?

    I don't work for ArenaNet and I could very easily be wrong but my understanding is that the CoherentUIHost is used for things like the Black Lion Trading Post. Essentially it allows them to embed Google Chrome within the game for showing web content without having to open a separate browser.

    It should be fairly straightforward to swap it out for a 64-bit version but then I don't work for ArenaNet so couldn't say for sure.

    Thanks, interesting that the only times I saw it were on launching the game but it might have been preloading it. For most things another alternative may be logging on to a windows box.

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • It seems to be a dependency of the UI.

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Is anyone in the dev program? Can you get the client to work in 10.15 without the store or does the whole thing break?

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • PadmaPhala.1824PadmaPhala.1824 Member ✭✭
    edited June 13, 2019

    @Menadena.7482 said:
    Is anyone in the dev program? Can you get the client to work in 10.15 without the store or does the whole thing break?

    Since Anet has been silent on this, the only option for Mac users that want to continue playing Guild Wars 2 is to not update to Catalina. I will update anyway, probably after the first x.x.1 update.

    Apple informed developers that macOS Mojave is the last version of macOS to run 32-bit apps.

    from: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436

  • axolotl.6435axolotl.6435 Member
    edited June 16, 2019

    Is there any update on making the Coherent UI Host process 64 bit instead of 32 bit?

    Do we know that is the only 32 bit dependency in the 64 bit app? If so does anyone know if there is a workaround?

    Yes, I think it is the only 32 bit process when GW2 is running.

    What does the process do though? Given I only see the message now and then though I wonder if it is something we can live without?

    I don't work for ArenaNet and I could very easily be wrong but my understanding is that the CoherentUIHost is used for things like the Black Lion Trading Post. Essentially it allows them to embed Google Chrome within the game for showing web content without having to open a separate browser.

    It should be fairly straightforward to swap it out for a 64-bit version but then I don't work for ArenaNet so couldn't say for sure.

    FYI : CoherentUIHost would be likely purchased and licensed through Coherent labs. They actively develop it for many platforms. Anet may need to pony up the cash for an updated SDK. I can't image Coherent Labs would have changed their API. With a current license agreement for the SDK, it should be largely plug and play.. I'm no expert, just thinking...

  • Good point. I asked that developer what is happening with that software (on their semi-active twitter account).

  • DrMORO.4627DrMORO.4627 Member ✭✭

    Soooooo, does this mean that GW2 Mac 64-bit would/should/possibly/maybe run OK on the coming 64-bit only Mac OS 10.15 Catalina?
    I AM close to actually getting a new Mac, and probably during this year 2019, and I definitely want to continue enjoying (although at somewhat a lower graphics settings...) GW2. Can't just stop playing when you've already committed to crafting legendary Exordium [&AgG3YQEA], as I just recently finished crafting the pre Exitare [&AgEDYwEA]. ;)

    BTW, as I've asked before, WHERE are the Mac devs at ANet? Shy to come out and say Hi! to the Mac GW2 community here?
    Or, new corporate policies making it unable to 'talk' here?
    Knock knock! Please come out, and feed us Mac GW2-ers some much needed updates and future visions, positive AND negative, anything, and wishfully everything.

  • Sznurek.8791Sznurek.8791 Member ✭✭

    Apple added a guide to bridge OpenGL programs to Metal and is recommending to move. I am not sure if this will be useful for the devs but I decided to post it here just in case.
    https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/611/

  • DrMORO.4627DrMORO.4627 Member ✭✭

    @Sznurek.8791 said:
    Apple added a guide to bridge OpenGL programs to Metal and is recommending to move. I am not sure if this will be useful for the devs but I decided to post it here just in case.
    https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/611/

    Metal, please!!! And NOW!!! So much better graphics, with much lower system and hardware requirements.
    I really hope the ANet's roadmap for Mac 64-bit GW2 is already set to be ported to full-Metal compliant AND fully 64-bit, and to happen soon, or rather IS happening at this very moment.

    Can't wait, ANet!

  • This is what Coherent Labs replied:

    Coherent UI is a deprecated product, but we've given the source code and all libraries to ArenaNet. Since we no longer support the product, it would be best to reach out to them directly.

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    They upgraded relatively recently .... to include a deprecated product?

    Which makes about as much sense as rewriting everything to make it 64 bit but leaving in a 32 bit dependency.

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • DrMORO.4627DrMORO.4627 Member ✭✭

    @PadmaPhala.1824 said:
    This is what Coherent Labs replied:

    Coherent UI is a deprecated product, but we've given the source code and all libraries to ArenaNet. Since we no longer support the product, it would be best to reach out to them directly.

    @Menadena.7482 said:
    They upgraded relatively recently .... to include a deprecated product?

    Which makes about as much sense as rewriting everything to make it 64 bit but leaving in a 32 bit dependency.

    :astonished:

    VERY BAD PLANNING...

    Latest roadmap, please ANet!

  • I honestly wouldn't worry about the use of CoherentUI. If they've given the code and related libraries to Anet then it stands to reason that it shouldn't be too involved to port it over to 64-bit and get it working. It's just understandably not a priority.

    Truth be told (and I promise I don't mean to fearmonger with this) but my guess is that ArenaNet don't have anyone working on the Mac client as such, but that isn't really an issue - my understanding is that Jon's work essentially allowed the Windows client to be cross-compiled for macOS from the same codebase, meaning that as long as the Windows client is maintained, the Mac client will be too.

    The real question is how API-agnostic the game's renderer is - when they start adding in say, new graphical features, how well that'll port over to OpenGL, but regardless, I wouldn't worry.

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2019

    @HippieJoel.9537 said:
    I honestly wouldn't worry about the use of CoherentUI. If they've given the code and related libraries to Anet then it stands to reason that it shouldn't be too involved to port it over to 64-bit and get it working. It's just understandably not a priority.

    Truth be told (and I promise I don't mean to fearmonger with this) but my guess is that ArenaNet don't have anyone working on the Mac client as such, but that isn't really an issue - my understanding is that Jon's work essentially allowed the Windows client to be cross-compiled for macOS from the same codebase, meaning that as long as the Windows client is maintained, the Mac client will be too.

    The real question is how API-agnostic the game's renderer is - when they start adding in say, new graphical features, how well that'll port over to OpenGL, but regardless, I wouldn't worry.

    My worry is if there is precisely 0 support. It may just be a matter of changing a setting and recompiling .... but if nobody does it there will not be a 64 bit client. This is where public domain clients prevent this sort of a problem. Someone in the user community will want it solved enough to fix the issue.

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • DrMORO.4627DrMORO.4627 Member ✭✭

    @HippieJoel.9537 said:
    Truth be told (and I promise I don't mean to fearmonger with this) but my guess is that ArenaNet don't have anyone working on the Mac client as such, but that isn't really an issue - my understanding is that Jon's work essentially allowed the Windows client to be cross-compiled for macOS from the same codebase, meaning that as long as the Windows client is maintained, the Mac client will be too.

    THIS is why I and others have been asking frequently for the Mac 'lead' at Anet, if any, to come out and say Hi! to our community.
    Really sad that still no one at Anet has said Hi! to us yet... :anguished:

    The real question is how API-agnostic the game's renderer is - when they start adding in say, new graphical features, how well that'll port over to OpenGL, but regardless, I wouldn't worry.

    I guess the 'cross-compiling' part is most important now for us Mac GW2-ers, and if no present nor continuing optimization of this part at ANet to match well with the latest Mac OS and graphic API like Metal, very much worrisome future indeed. Than again, Mac client may live like now, somewhat in the shadows, as long as WIN$ client and the GW2 game itself stays alive. At least, we can continue to play GW2, for a while, although not at optional condition.

    Still makes me worry..

  • With the release of Catalina, Anet shouldn't sell Guild Wars 2 for MacOS if there is no full 64-bit client.

  • @PadmaPhala.1824 said:
    With the release of Catalina, Anet shouldn't sell Guild Wars 2 for MacOS if there is no full 64-bit client.

    Give them some time - I'm sure they can work on getting the dependencies up and running in 64 bit.

  • @HippieJoel.9537 said:

    @PadmaPhala.1824 said:
    With the release of Catalina, Anet shouldn't sell Guild Wars 2 for MacOS if there is no full 64-bit client.

    Give them some time - I'm sure they can work on getting the dependencies up and running in 64 bit.

    But is there even a Mac team any more to work on it? There has been a lack of ANY feedback on this thread since the layoffs, while they've increased communication everywhere else. The Mac client was clearly low-priority before, now I have to wonder if it's being quietly abandoned.

  • DrMORO.4627DrMORO.4627 Member ✭✭

    @Cragga the Eighty Third.6015 said:

    @HippieJoel.9537 said:

    @PadmaPhala.1824 said:
    With the release of Catalina, Anet shouldn't sell Guild Wars 2 for MacOS if there is no full 64-bit client.

    Give them some time - I'm sure they can work on getting the dependencies up and running in 64 bit.

    quietly abandoned.

    HELLO!!!
    ANYBODY HOME???

  • Hi,

    Please fix the Mac 64bit client so that it works with MacOS Catalina. We are regularly getting warnings that GuildWars2 is not going to work with the next release of MacOS as it is not optimised.

    Thanks.

  • Maybe Anet could open source that Coherent Host UI process?

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.