Feedback: Guild Wars 2 Mac 64-Bit Client - Page 18 — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home

Feedback: Guild Wars 2 Mac 64-Bit Client

11415161820

Comments

  • JustTrogdor.7892JustTrogdor.7892 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2019

    Edit: Never mind I read the post wrong.

  • @Stephane Lo Presti.7258 said:
    I wanted to share an update about the issues that some of you have had with the Mac client and MacOS Catalina: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/87330/mac-users-issues-with-the-current-guild-wars-2-client-under-macos-catalina/p1?new=1

    Thank you! =) Finally some communication and confirmation that the issue is going to be fixed! PRAISE JOKO!

  • @Stephane Lo Presti.7258 said:
    I wanted to share an update about the issues that some of you have had with the Mac client and MacOS Catalina: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/87330/mac-users-issues-with-the-current-guild-wars-2-client-under-macos-catalina/p1?new=1

    Well that came unexpected! thanks for your effort guys <3

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    SO happy to see this in the release notes: "MAC CLIENT
    Fixed a 32-bit deprecation warning message on the 64-bit native Mac client.
    Added MacOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility."

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • so, how is it now? anyone could say something?

  • DrMORO.4627DrMORO.4627 Member ✭✭
    edited September 17, 2019

    @Menadena.7482 said:
    SO happy to see this in the release notes: "MAC CLIENT
    Fixed a 32-bit deprecation warning message on the 64-bit native Mac client.
    Added MacOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility."

    Sooooo, thumbs UP, or down?

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Again, why are they posting this stuff elsewhere and not in the thread they were sending everyone to?

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • Anyone else constantly crashing? Or is it just me?

  • @Cragga the Eighty Third.6015 said:
    Anyone else constantly crashing? Or is it just me?

    I was yesterday but the crashes seem to be gone. However, I'm getting a lot of dropped frames since the patch and now pvp is like a slideshow.

  • @Menadena.7482 said:
    Again, why are they posting this stuff elsewhere and not in the thread they were sending everyone to?

    Because not every common player is going to automatically check an ancient thread. Those other threads are in the announcement section where more players will see it.
    Anyway, thanks for the update ANET. It's appreciated.

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Sonicbug.7341 said:

    @Menadena.7482 said:
    Again, why are they posting this stuff elsewhere and not in the thread they were sending everyone to?

    Because not every common player is going to automatically check an ancient thread. Those other threads are in the announcement section where more players will see it.
    Anyway, thanks for the update ANET. It's appreciated.

    So where should we post? Whenever someone has an issue on a mac they are directed to this thread. There used to be a whole subboard for the mac but they squeezed it into 1 thread now.

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • Druitt.7629Druitt.7629 Member ✭✭✭

    Fixed it for me on Catalina public beta. Thanks!

  • Now that the crashing is fixed, new client still works fine on Yosemite. ^^

  • gen.6807gen.6807 Member ✭✭

    Anyone else get's crashes regularly after recent update? Before I had no problems with client and began to experience those shortly after changes went live. Using Mojave on MacBook Pro 2017.

  • Anyone seeing really messed up graphics after upgrading to MacOS Catalina? My game now looks like this whenever I'm in any fullscreen mode:
    IMG_20191004_162515.jpg Oddly enough everything works in windowed mode.

  • Hi everyone, I'm a new Mac user, and trying to download the game. I downloaded GW2setup-64.dmg. I'm using safari, and my MacBook Pro is on Mojave. When I double click the GW2setup-64.dmg file, a window comes up with a graphic for Guild Wars 2 64-bit.app then a strange arrow pointing right to a graphic of the Applications folder. If I click the GW2 graphic, the download screen briefly splashes, but goes away. Can anyone help me out with why it goes away immediately and doesn't start to download?

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @van.2938 said:
    Hi everyone, I'm a new Mac user, and trying to download the game. I downloaded GW2setup-64.dmg. I'm using safari, and my MacBook Pro is on Mojave. When I double click the GW2setup-64.dmg file, a window comes up with a graphic for Guild Wars 2 64-bit.app then a strange arrow pointing right to a graphic of the Applications folder. If I click the GW2 graphic, the download screen briefly splashes, but goes away. Can anyone help me out with why it goes away immediately and doesn't start to download?

    It is not an installer and you can not run it from there. Drag the GW2 icon to the application folder icon. Then click on the version you copied to the application folder.

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • Sottises.8034Sottises.8034 Member ✭✭
    edited October 8, 2019

    Does anyone else have awful stuttering and pop-in trying to play this game? Some later areas in the game such as the Crystal Desert are nearly (but not actually) unplayable because of the sheer time it takes for the game to catch up and load things in. For some reason choosing different graphical settings doesn't affect it one bit.

    My system is:
    Mac Pro 5,1
    macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Intel Xeon W3690 @ 3.46GHz (+Boost)
    24GB ECC DDR3 RAM @ 1333MHz
    AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB VRAM
    GW2 is installed on: ADATA XPG 500GB NVMe stick (Installed in a PCI-E x4 slot)

    Going from an SATA 3 SSD to an NVMe card didn't help it one bit. Character or environment settings set high or low, it's like its not even trying to use all of the RAM available. or VRAM, or even the full throughput of the NVMe card. Resolution or closing other apps doesn't affect it either, it's been like this for months.
    It might also be a side effect of the single-threaded / single-core game engine, but I can only get 17 or less FPS in crowded areas when its like this, but its capable of going 30-60 as soon as I turn the camera away.

  • Hi all. MacOs Catalina has been released last night. Official first release!. Any results sofar? Please share your experiences, issues and whatever else you feel of interest to community. Include info about hardware if possible.

  • Not working..!

    No idea how to post an image. Took a screenshot. Basically,

    "Guild Wars 2 64-bit" can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

  • Bugs since updating to official release Catalina yesterday. Game freezes so when i try to force quit, the game unfreezes. Soon as I escape from the screen thinking that it is working (not force quitting), it freezes again. Got my dailies done by having the force quit panel open lol. Also getting graphical glitches like someone posted looking like a rectangular checker board.

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Vork.6019 said:
    Not working..!

    No idea how to post an image. Took a screenshot. Basically,

    "Guild Wars 2 64-bit" can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

    Doh! I can not upgrade my OS yet (work SW on all my machines that is still in testing for Catalina) but it sounds like they just recompiled for 64 bit and did not actually test it. Apple (as usual) tightened the screws on security once again. There might be an option in the system preferences to allow unidentified developers or unsigned apps.

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I started https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/89722/catalina-mac-issues/p1?new=1 to hopefully wave someone down that their fix did not work as advertised.

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • @Vork.6019 said:
    Not working..!

    No idea how to post an image. Took a screenshot. Basically,

    "Guild Wars 2 64-bit" can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

    Before fiddling around with system settings try finding where Guild Wars 2 is in the Applications folder in Finder and right-clicking and clicking "Open". On Mojave this semi-bypassed Gatekeeper default settings, perhaps its the same on Catalina?

  • @duanstar.7369 said:
    Anyone seeing really messed up graphics after upgrading to MacOS Catalina? My game now looks like this whenever I'm in any fullscreen mode:
    IMG_20191004_162515.jpg Oddly enough everything works in windowed mode.

    Same here.

  • Can you guys help me? What do I need to do to have GW2 work on macOS Catalina.
    Error message:
    "Guild Wars 2 64-bit" can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

  • @Gyro.9182 said:

    @duanstar.7369 said:
    Anyone seeing really messed up graphics after upgrading to MacOS Catalina? My game now looks like this whenever I'm in any fullscreen mode:
    IMG_20191004_162515.jpg Oddly enough everything works in windowed mode.

    Same here.

    Same here on my 2018 MacBook Pro. Thanks for the tip about running it in a window. That seems to be the only way I can play.

  • Gyro.9182Gyro.9182 Member
    edited October 11, 2019

    I currently have no problems on my MacBook Pro if the game is played in "Window" mode.
    It also seems to work without issues on my iMac 5K (late 2015) in regular (full screen) mode. I am not sure what causes the difference, although there is of course a clear difference in "power" between both computers and especially their graphics cards.

  • Ol Nik.2518Ol Nik.2518 Member ✭✭✭

    @joey.4732 said:
    Can you guys help me? What do I need to do to have GW2 work on macOS Catalina.
    Error message:
    "Guild Wars 2 64-bit" can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

    Go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General. At the bottom of the window, you will see a dialogue. Choose 'Open anyway'. That should work.
    You might need to download the latest version from the ArenaNet website if you did not update your game after the 17th September.

    I have not tried Onyx for Catalina, yet. But in the versions for previous Mac OS' it had an option to remove security restrictions for all applications. Onyx is a system tweaker, please, use only as a last resort and/or if know what you are doing (you should not be able to break the system, but you can compromise security a bit).

  • Hastings.9653Hastings.9653 Member
    edited October 14, 2019

    I've recently been getting back into this game and having a lot of fun, but my framerate is absolutely terrible. I finally found out that the Mac client (and the Windows client under Boot Camp) seems to be unable to access eGPUs! Attached is a little evidence of that. There's probably no chance for a fix, but I thought I would at least make people aware of this since some of us are stuck on Mac Minis + Macbooks for work :)

  • Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2019

    @Hastings.9653 said:
    I've recently been getting back into this game and having a lot of fun, but my framerate is absolutely terrible. I finally found out that the Mac client (and the Windows client under Boot Camp) seems to be unable to access eGPUs! Attached is a little evidence of that. There's probably no chance for a fix, but I thought I would at least make people aware of this since some of us are stuck on Mac Minis + Macbooks for work :)

    Eek! My next mac is going to be a mini and I had planned on using an egpu because of the lack of a real gpu in the mini. Did it work with egpus before the OS upgrade?

    edit: I assume you have guild wars set to use the egpu, right?

    New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

  • I have a 2017 27" iMac with the Radeon Pro 580. I installed Catalina a few days ago, and besides having to Force quit GW2 every time, the game seems to run just fine.

  • I used to run the windows 64 bit exe directly on wine. It was not as good as native windows, but still got 30-40 fps while running the game in a window. Now with Catalina, I get crashes when I try to start it and have to use the Mac 64 client, which is horrible. Fps is generally in the 15 region, only occasionally moving up to 20 when there's nobody around. When moving the entire background goes blurry making the game look as if you're either drunk or looking through bad glasses.
    When I boot to windows, I get frame rates of 50-70 fps easily (this is the same hardware people!), dropping only when the map gets really busy, but still staying high.
    I think the people at Arenanet should be really ashamed of themselves of creating such a sub-par product and retract their advertisement that 'it runs on mac'. Instead, be honest and just say "It runs only on windows, but for Mac users we provide a really nice slideshow"

  • I have just ran the game on a MacBook pro 15 2018, i will leave a feedback little bit late, but now have a problem with a magic mouse, the scroll does not work, I can not scroll the map, bags and other things, how to solve it?

  • Jacques.8170Jacques.8170 Member ✭✭
    edited November 3, 2019

    @Sottises.8034 said:
    Does anyone else have awful stuttering and pop-in trying to play this game? Some later areas in the game such as the Crystal Desert are nearly (but not actually) unplayable because of the sheer time it takes for the game to catch up and load things in. For some reason choosing different graphical settings doesn't affect it one bit.

    My system is:
    Mac Pro 5,1
    macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Intel Xeon W3690 @ 3.46GHz (+Boost)
    24GB ECC DDR3 RAM @ 1333MHz
    AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB VRAM
    GW2 is installed on: ADATA XPG 500GB NVMe stick (Installed in a PCI-E x4 slot)

    Going from an SATA 3 SSD to an NVMe card didn't help it one bit. Character or environment settings set high or low, it's like its not even trying to use all of the RAM available. or VRAM, or even the full throughput of the NVMe card. Resolution or closing other apps doesn't affect it either, it's been like this for months.
    It might also be a side effect of the single-threaded / single-core game engine, but I can only get 17 or less FPS in crowded areas when its like this, but its capable of going 30-60 as soon as I turn the camera away.

    I know this won't be directly helpful, but I have a very similar setup, but with RX 580 8GB and dual 2.93Ghz CPUs on High Sierra. I do get the odd pop and stutter just after landing in a map but if I wait a few secs it clears up. Also, for some bizarre reason running on one display instead of two helps a bit for me.

    But it's nothing compared to booting my Mac into Debian 10 and running the game via Lutris+wine+dxvk12, I'm seeing 40-50+ fps in areas I'm only hitting 15-20 on the Mac Client. Quite shocking considering on Debian everything is running under a wrapper. Map scrolling, bags and other interface items are super smooth on Debian, while map scrolling on the Mac is rather poor and jerky. I think it's really down to the OpenGL vs DirectX APIs on the two operating systems. I just don't think OpenGL has the grunt.

  • Sottises.8034Sottises.8034 Member ✭✭
    edited November 6, 2019

    @Jacques.8170 said:
    I think it's really down to the OpenGL vs DirectX APIs on the two operating systems. I just don't think OpenGL has the grunt.

    Just a shame there's no way to communicate that they really need to take a good look at the engine one of these days if the game is to continue into 2020 and beyond. I'm not even talking just for macOS, but for Windows (and Linux under dxvk) as well. The limitations on how smooth Guild Wars 2 is to play is down to both its poor use of multiple cores (which one of the devs talked about there being some slow efforts to split things off of the main thread, single core speed shouldn't be relevant to games or applications nowadays, not nearly on the level GW2 is.) and its seriously old APIs. Even WoW pulled off moving to DX11 and DX12. d9vk and d912pxy(?) exist for windows. Wouldn't it be easier to turn attention to the engine, perhaps fix some things like the build templates debacle (which involved how messed up the inventory system is, apparently?), get some people in to work on writing a Vulkan pipeline (and look at valve's use of MoltenVK to get a Vulkan-to-Metal2 layer for macOS) for the rendering thread and split some more processes to do with loading in assets off the main thread to take proper use out of people's systems. There are people out there with NVMe SSDs and completely new Radeon RX 5700 XTs getting less performance than decade old computers for crying out loud. I should not have to have an i9-9900K overclocked just to pump enough single thread speed to run GW2 at 60FPS locked at 1080p, that's absurd.

    EDIT: For those it may help on macOS. KEEP YOUR SHADERS SETTING ON LOW. This is the only setting I've found that actually has a performance impact under macOS, the others have superficial impacts at best. It makes sense, asking OpenGL to do less work would drastically increase the speed to render, and so would brute forcing it with an obscenely strong graphics card (I'm looking to get a Vega 56). I've also found I kinda like the look better without the overly bright white edge lighting they have going on.

  • I'm still playing this game on a Sierra iMac swapping between a Crossover (Wine) and the native Mac client. Even on low settings the Mac client has shader problems especially with leaves in trees. Another problem I encountered is that my necro staff attacks are self-targeted. I can't click the spell and move my target circle as it constantly casts directly at my location. The Crossover port is far more stable...

  • Did some experimenting and noticed that turning the Render Sampling to Subsample actually made a significant impact, getting fps up tot he 30's especially in the core maps

  • keenedge.9675keenedge.9675 Member ✭✭✭

    @Arnalon.9247 said:
    I think the people at Arenanet should be really ashamed of themselves of creating such a sub-par product and retract their advertisement that 'it runs on mac'. Instead, be honest and just say "It runs only on windows, but for Mac users we provide a really nice slideshow"

    .

    @Jacques.8170 said:
    Quite shocking considering on Debian everything is running under a wrapper. Map scrolling, bags and other interface items are super smooth on Debian, while map scrolling on the Mac is rather poor and jerky. I think it's really down to the OpenGL vs DirectX APIs on the two operating systems. I just don't think OpenGL has the grunt.

    It could also be that the mac OS and internals aren't as robust as Linux for example.
    Linux has far more people tuning the bits under the hood.

    Moral Statute Machine: John Spartan, you are fined five credits for repeated violations of the verbal morality statute.

  • The reason is that Apple's OpenGL implementation has had no optimisation or improvements in a very long time and only supports an old version of the standard.

    Years before Apple announced Metal they had already stopped improving the OpenGL drivers, so when Apple introduced Metal, most game developers quickly started the work to transition to it due to the huge performance gains it provides.

    Sadly Arenanet didn't take this path, but they should see the writing on the wall now that Apple has deprecated OpenGL on macOS. If they don't transition soon, and Apple drops OpenGL in the next version of macOS, they'll be left without a functioning game. That would be pretty sad, because it would mean I won't be able to play GW2 any more.

  • Jacques.8170Jacques.8170 Member ✭✭
    edited November 23, 2019

    @keenedge.9675 said:

    @Jacques.8170 said:
    Quite shocking considering on Debian everything is running under a wrapper. Map scrolling, bags and other interface items are super smooth on Debian, while map scrolling on the Mac is rather poor and jerky. I think it's really down to the OpenGL vs DirectX APIs on the two operating systems. I just don't think OpenGL has the grunt.

    It could also be that the mac OS and internals aren't as robust as Linux for example.
    Linux has far more people tuning the bits under the hood.

    Very true, under Linux Lutris is just running the Windows binaries though, the only Linux tweaking happening is with the wine build and the dxvk dll changes. My Linux step also runs a lot less background processes, so this could also help.

    I'm just not sure GW2 has a Mac user base large enough to justify ANet to switch the Mac Client to Metal(2). There will be a lot of programming involved, it took Blizzard a while to sort out WoW but it really does make a difference.

    One has to also bear in mind Apple don't allow developers direct access to hardware registers etc. for GPUs, they have to go through the Apple API's and if those aren't top notch or optimised then you're going nowhere fast. Bear in mind Apple optimise for stability, not speed. I just hope ANet flip to Metal as it makes a huge difference.

  • @duanstar.7369 said:
    Anyone seeing really messed up graphics after upgrading to MacOS Catalina? My game now looks like this whenever I'm in any fullscreen mode:
    IMG_20191004_162515.jpg Oddly enough everything works in windowed mode.

    Yep, same here. It's even more scrambled than that! Hopefully they can come up with a fix for full screen mode on Catalina because windowed is not much fun.

  • @duanstar.7369 said:
    Anyone seeing really messed up graphics after upgrading to MacOS Catalina? My game now looks like this whenever I'm in any fullscreen mode:
    IMG_20191004_162515.jpg Oddly enough everything works in windowed mode.

    Update: at the suggestion of GW2 support, I finally did the nuclear option of reinstalling the game from scratch, and amazingly it's fixed the full screen graphics corruption issues for me on Catalina!

  • I have Catalina as well.
    Seemed to work for me until I tried to update today. Now I can't get past the loading screen most of the time, and it crashes a minute or two after that anyway.
    Was looking forward to the Lunar New Year :(

  • Mia.8695Mia.8695 Member ✭✭
    edited January 15, 2020

    @Kitten Commander.8952 said:
    I have Catalina as well.
    Seemed to work for me until I tried to update today. Now I can't get past the loading screen most of the time, and it crashes a minute or two after that anyway.
    Was looking forward to the Lunar New Year :(

    Seems massive issues on Mac client atm since new Lunar patch released. Mac clients freeze in game, and client downloads are getting stuck.
    Not much feedback since 11hrs ago where they said they were working on it. Not sure if that is the client issue itself included though.
    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1136483#Comment_1136483

  • Game is Insta-crash now since LNY patch. This is beyond frustrating. I have Catalina and GW2 just has slowed down since. Graphics have to be on low just to be able to play.
    This is sub-par product.

  • DrMORO.4627DrMORO.4627 Member ✭✭
    edited January 16, 2020

    Hope this will fixes the recent major Mac client crash...

    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2020-01-15
    Game updates/2020-01-15
    < Game updates
    Update - January 15, 2020
    Bug Fixes:

    Fixed Mac client crashes related to wind and light effects.
    Eternal Battlegrounds: Fixed assorted environment issues around Stonemist Castle and Mendon's Gap.

    Build: 101,472

  • Jacques.8170Jacques.8170 Member ✭✭
    edited February 3, 2020

    So after the last update I have super fast map movement, as in just as fast as on Windows. This is great!!

    However, I now have sound issues, lots of static and noise. Anybody else. It only happens in game and on the menu screen.

    edit - I don't know what's been updated, but my fps has improved quite a bit?

  • FYI, NVIDIA’s GeForce NOW, cloud-based game streaming service, is out of Mac beta, and is now officially released.
    Works nicely with my old MBP13 (2011), and have been beta-testing and playing since the start of the beta project.
    Two tier membership, one play for free up to a hour at a time, unlimited re-logins, and paid 6 hour limited play time plus better ray-tracing graphics.
    Much better to have Mac options to play GW2, rather than less for sure.