New Profession Descriptions? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

New Profession Descriptions?

Clownmug.8357Clownmug.8357 Member ✭✭✭
edited January 23, 2019 in Professions

I saw in today's patch notes that new profession descriptions were created. Unfortunately, I don't have an open character slot to check and the wiki hasn't been updated. Could someone kindly provide a brief summary for me?

Update: Here are the descriptions for anyone interested.

Warrior
Favors Melee • High Survivability • Weaponsmaster
Warriors build their adrenaline by successfully striking an enemy, then expend it to unleash devastating burst attacks. Warriors are versatile and resilient fighters.

Thief
Favors Melee • Stealth and Evasion • Acrobatic Combat
Thieves manage their initiative during combat, expending it to unleash carefully timed attacks. What they lack in defense, they make up for with skills to debilitate, teleport, or vanish from sight.

Guardian
Favors Melee • Supports Allies • Defensive Magic
Guardians gain powerful personal enhancements from their virtues, which they can briefly expend to aid friends or damage foes. Formidable on their own, guardians shine brightest in the company of allies.

Mesmer
Favors Ranged • Creates Illusions • Finesse and Misdirection
Masters of magical misdirection, mesmers create and shatter clones and illusions of themselves in battle. Mesmers rely on evasion and subterfuge requiring finesse and practice to perfect.

Elementalist
Favors Ranged • Elemental Magic • Versatile Caster
Elementalists harness the power of the four elements—water, earth, fire, and air—to cast powerful spells. Their ability to change their elemental attunement midcombat is versatile but difficult to master.

Ranger
Favors Ranged • Pet Companion • Naturalist
Rangers tame a variety of pet companions to complement their fighting style. Rounding out their arsenal with traps, nature spirits, and survival skills, they have the tools to take on any type of foe.

Necromancer
Favors Ranged • Summons Minions • Dark Magic
Necromancers of Tyria are monsters on the battlefield, draining life force from their enemies and entering a death shroud that temporarily grants them powerful abilities and protects them from harm.

Engineer
Melee or Ranged • Gadgets, Turrets, and Toolkits • Technomancer
Engineers are jacks-of-all-trades and, with enough time, masters of many. Able to bring dozens of abilities and toolbelt skills to a fight, their art is in choosing the right one to utilize at the perfect time.

Revenant
Melee or Ranged • Invokes Legendary Heroes • Magic-Wielding Fighter
Revenants invoke the power of legendary heroes from Tyria's past, spending their own energy to channel the abilities used by those figures. They are reliable allies and dangerous enemies.

Comments

• steki.1478steki.1478 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2019

You can find them on reddit, it's been datamined.

Deso's favorite FROG
    Master of afk and kiting
    The God of Pips and Gud Deeps
    Froggo himself

• Clownmug.8357Clownmug.8357 Member ✭✭✭

Oh, forgot about reddit. Thank you!

• Dace.8173Dace.8173 Member ✭✭✭✭

Link? I don't make use of reddit.

• Clownmug.8357Clownmug.8357 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2019

Ok, here's a link. Also pasted the descriptions in the op.

https://reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/aiorpl/game_update_notes_january_22_2019/eepdwco

• kasoki.5180kasoki.5180 Member ✭✭✭

I see that guardians description is still a lie.

Sure, with recent changes its much more viable and usable, but selling guardian as "defensive magic" and "support allies" class is almost false advertisement. Especially when almost all professions have access to defensive and support skills.

Also, lets not kid ourselves, melee range is only range in this game. Short range of boonsharing and stacking nature of the game made sure of that.

These descriptions make the game seem much more versatile and diverse than it actually is

• Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019

Good descriptions ... these give a player a good sense of what to expect playing the classes and even some hints about how hard it can be to play them. Though they are short, it's just more evidence that Anet intentionally designs classes to give different experiences to players not only in flavour, but in difficulty. BRAVO ANet.

If you think balancing is only driven by performance and justified by comparisons to other classes then prepare to be educated:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/balance-updates-the-heralds-near-future-and-pvp-league-season-13/

• InsaneQR.7412InsaneQR.7412 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019

Well engi is not melee or ranged when playing as base profession. Its somewhat pseudo melee in many cases and has way more ranged applications. Ranger on the othwr hand doesnt really focusses on range.
    OH are always something in between and 3 weapons are fully ranged while 2 are fully melee. Thats more inline with utilizes both.

• Jski.6180Jski.6180 Member ✭✭✭✭

At least they put an end to ele jack of all triads because its not been one for a very long time i just do not get what powerful spells are there maybe at best 4 in all of ele weapons and what is the differences between casting a spell and using an ability. Unless they have some major updates in mind for the ele class i do not see how this description fits.

See ELE forms and you will get my views.

• That thief description about debilitating seems inaccurate with the small number of ways a thief can actually debilitate.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.