The GW2 Lunar New Year is blah. — Guild Wars 2 Forums

The GW2 Lunar New Year is blah.

As far as in-game festivals goes the Lunar New Year is very anemic when compared to the other ones. No jumping puzzle, no unique farm to kill stuff while gathering and gather themed bags, etc. As rich as the cultural style is I'd think there is plenty to draw on to come up with activities other than Dragon Ball and firecrackers. There could be a raptor challenge where you gather fireflies in tricky jumps with shifting themed platforms in a raptor only jumping puzzle. There could be a griffon challenge that you have to light floating lanterns throughout the city. The city could have falling cherry blossoms as an ambient effect. How about an reverse labyrinth that is basically a open valley that is a reproduction of a Canthan battlefield where players hunt Canthan themed creatures, spirits, demons and otherworldly creatures that threaten to overrun the valley to get unique bag drops.

Comments

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2019

I'd rather they didn't waste too much time on more festival stuff when this isn't a major festival - although I do like some of your ideas.

I do find it funny that instead of opening the envelopes and hope for 8 win, you can sell them on the TP for guaranteed 8g win..

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Tekoneiric.6817Tekoneiric.6817 Member ✭✭✭✭

@nathanjameson.3542 said:
    I now live in Taiwan and love Chinese new year over here. Sadly, I'm in the minority, and a lot of the western players don't "get" CNY.

I'm sure it's very exciting. There is a huge amount of culture and lore to draw on to make the LNY in the game exciting. I just don't think they have put forth the creative effort.

• @Randulf.7614 said:
    I'd rather they didn't waste too much time on more festival stuff when this isn't a major festival

Heh, where I live, it's Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's all wrapped into one.

Here's a novelty item suggestion for it. A large sparkler that leaves dragon like fire trails that get longer the faster you are moving. If you zipping around at high speed on a griffon you leave long fading trails behind you that are reminiscent of Asian style dragons.

• You just have to wait till Late March and April for SUPER Adventure Box..... then you'll really be festivaled out!

edited January 23, 2019

@Randulf.7614 said:
    I'd rather they didn't waste too much time on more festival stuff when this isn't a major festival

Heh, where I live, it's Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's all wrapped into one.

In the real world it is a major festival. In GW2/Tyria terms it is not

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Ganathar.4956Ganathar.4956 Member ✭✭✭

It would be nice if Lunar New Year had more activities to do. However, if Anet plan to introduce Cantha in the future, it would be more fitting to have the bulk of the activities in Cantha instead of DR. Perhaps they have plans for this?

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

Just a note, Cherry blossoms are more associated with Japan than Chinese New Year.

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

• wickedkae.4980wickedkae.4980 Member ✭✭✭

The event is fine. This is more to satisfy the Asian community, which is fine, but a lot of us have no investment in this and it adds nothing to the game. Let the devs work on actual GW2 stuff instead of bloating up events such as this. This event is fine a nice side distraction, but we don't need anymore depth for this event.

• lokh.2695lokh.2695 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think it has always been like that. It alwayys felt tagged on only to please the korean overlords from NCsoft.

I'd love to find out if the festival is more fleshed out in the chinese version of GW2 and maybe wintersday isn't a big thing there.

If you want X, and Y is needed to get get X, you also have to want Y if you really want X. If you don't want Y, you don't want X. It's easy.
    Pro: Build Templates, Dungeon Rework, UW content
    Contra: New Races, New Classes, New Weapons, Capes

@Zaklex.6308 said:
    Just a note, Cherry blossoms are more associated with Japan than Chinese New Year.

I've seen Cherry blossoms associated with Chinese culture also in media. Even if it wasn't in the game it's the Canthan New Year. Generally the draw from a broad group of Earth cultures for other aspects of the game so they could easily draw from aspects of Japan or other Asian cultures. Besides wasn't Cherry trees in Cantha in GW1?

• Eramonster.2718Eramonster.2718 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2019

It's weak indeed. Lack of content. For veterans which did them last year, zero content :frown:. Can come up with reasons for this, but won't change the fact that's how it is.

• I don't mind the festival as it is. Does it have a ton of things to offer? No, but to be fair - I think that we already have more than enough festivals in GW2, to the point where I sometimes feel like there is about as much "festival time" than "non-festival time" ingame. There's Lunar New Year, then SAB will come back, then the Zephyrite one in summer, and when that's over it's basically Halloween time already for three whole weeks, and after that Wintersday which also stretches into January... and I'm not sure if I'm forgetting anything along the way.

Might just be me, but I really think another big festival that becomes a farming grind isn't necessary.

• Aaralyna.3104Aaralyna.3104 Member ✭✭✭

I like the festival when it comes to design (I like cultures so seeing Asian lanterns and all such is great). It can be done fast so you can spend time on other things as well (instead of 24/7 festival farm).. And if you want to spend more time on it you can since races repeat fast and activity as well. I have no clue how to make gold on this festival but the amount of magic find orbs is a welcome reward from the event.

• Jumpin Lumpix.6108Jumpin Lumpix.6108 Member ✭✭✭✭

Why is anet allergic to Asian themed events. They even cited in the past they didnt want cantha because the cultural depiction might be offensive?

• @Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:
    Why is anet allergic to Asian themed events.

Are they? This game's third official festival was Lunar New Year's.

They even cited in the past they didnt want cantha because the cultural depiction might be offensive?

No they did not.

What we know if that DR was designed to have a Canthan District, designed by ANet devs consulting with ANet team leads, consulting with management.

Shortly before launch, someone said there was a problem with it. As a result, the district was removed and with so little time remaining, it was replaced by a giant sinkhole. Since then the game has added Lunar New Years (a festival which spans cultures), Asian-zodiac themed weapons, Jade dragon weapons, and other Asian influenced designs.

We have a single paragraph from a single developer without any salient details. We don't know if the "someone" worked for ANet or NCSOFT (which was the publisher). We don't know if it was based on customer feedback or whether some VP with a chip on their shoulder didn't personally like it. We also don't know the exact reason, except that the dev thought that it has to do with mixed designs. They said that that was a problem in Asia (it's not, for many Asians, although of course it is for some, just as some Westerners don't think mayonnaise goes well with Chips aka French Fries).

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:
    Why is anet allergic to Asian themed events.

Are they? This game's third official festival was Lunar New Year's.

They even cited in the past they didnt want cantha because the cultural depiction might be offensive?

No they did not.

What we know if that DR was designed to have a Canthan District, designed by ANet devs consulting with ANet team leads, consulting with management.

Shortly before launch, someone said there was a problem with it. As a result, the district was removed and with so little time remaining, it was replaced by a giant sinkhole. Since then the game has added Lunar New Years (a festival which spans cultures), Asian-zodiac themed weapons, Jade dragon weapons, and other Asian influenced designs.

We have a single paragraph from a single developer without any salient details. We don't know if the "someone" worked for ANet or NCSOFT (which was the publisher). We don't know if it was based on customer feedback or whether some VP with a chip on their shoulder didn't personally like it. We also don't know the exact reason, except that the dev thought that it has to do with mixed designs. They said that that was a problem in Asia (it's not, for many Asians, although of course it is for some, just as some Westerners don't think mayonnaise goes well with Chips aka French Fries).

I heard they said that in regards to a cantha themed expansion pack not a dr district.

• i like the shepherd mini pet. it's just too small. it would be great if it had the same size like the shakal minipet at least. would be like a real dog then.

I heard they said that in regards to a cantha themed expansion pack not a dr district.

If you have a source, I'm willing to change my mind. Without it, it's nothing more than another unsubstantiated rumor.

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• I WOULD like a cherry blossom tree guild hall decoration.....just sayin'.

• Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭

If you have a source, I'm willing to change my mind. Without it, it's nothing more than another unsubstantiated rumor.

I've seen this comment for years. Since before launch even. I haven't seen anything from Anet to back it up. Not one thing.

Even if Anet did say something six years ago, and sure it's possible they did...well, Anet also said there wouldn't be expansions and we'd be moving forward with the Living World instead.

I'm guessing the goal was always to go to China. I'm also guessing it's less popular in China than Anet thought it might be. If the bulk of the population is actually in EU and the US then it seems whatever was said wouldn't matter as much anyway.

But to draw a conclusion based on one thing said six years ago, particularly when game directors have changed, seems a bit like overreach to me.

I mean one of the community managers once hinted that housing would be coming out when guild halls came out, and that never eventuated. There's just no way to know.

http://selfconfessedcynic.podbean.com/2012/12/22/a-lincolncast-interview-with-josh-foreman-episode-34/

1:44:45. - anet environmental designer. All the proof I need. It's in regard to the district but It also applies to why we don't have a cantha expansion pack.

Why is anet allergic to Asian themed events. They even cited in the past they didnt want cantha because the cultural depiction might be offensive?

I've read it somewhere back in '13 about how NCSOFT found it offensive to have Anet mix Asian cultures, which comes to the main reason why Cantha hasn't been added yet. Apparently, Divinity's Reach was suppose to have had a Cantha themed district in the Western part of DR, but was replaced by The Crown Pavilion due to NCSOFT finding it offensive (in the beginning there was a giant black hole with a bridge). I'll see if I can find a source to this, but I've read this somewhere in some sources and have heard it from some people.

• It was originally replaced by a hole... And, oh, I guess it is still a hole.

• Illconceived Was Na.9781Illconceived Was Na.9781 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2019

http://selfconfessedcynic.podbean.com/2012/12/22/a-lincolncast-interview-with-josh-foreman-episode-34/

1:44:45. - anet environmental designer. All the proof I need. It's in regard to the district but It also applies to why we don't have a cantha expansion pack.

Original Source of the Rumors About Cantha
    About Foreman

Joshua Foreman is an environmental artist and art lead

Here's what Foreman said

We had a Cantha district. It was built out. It was polished. It was beautiful. We kept getting feedback about the Asian market. And everyone was having a problem with it because the Chinese don't like having their architecture mixed with Koreans and the Koreans don't like having their architecture with the Chinese. And of course it's fantasy smorgosbord. It's gothic mixed with Nordic mixed with ... that's just the way fantasy works. But not over there apparently. So it got to the point where we were like ... well, what do we do with this spot? We don't have time to rebuild from scratch, so we just nuked it.

And that's it.

• The only actual fact we have is that there were plans for a Canthan district in Divinity's Reach and that the section was removed at the last minute. "We kept getting feedback" is ambiguous about the source. We don't know if a Korean VP over at NCSOFT said, "don't do it" Maybe there was last minute feedback from playtesters in Asia. Or perhaps ANet had just entered into negotiations with KongZhong (the current publisher for the China version of the game) and they had an opinion. Or it could have been something else entirely. We simply haven't been told.

"Everyone was having a problem" is exactly the sort of thing I've heard VPs say when they mean, "I have a problem with it." It's hard to find evidence that entire ethnic groups "don't like having their architecture mixed," rather than it's a preference (strong or otherwise) by some individuals with clout.

It's not clear at all if this prevents GW2 from going to Cantha or if GW can do so but only under certain conditions or ... It could even be a tiny issue that ANet might have led ANet to decide, "why bother dealing with it at all, when we still have so many other places to go without worrying about what a vocal minority have to say."

The point is that we have one developer offering a single fact (Canthan District removed at the last minute), without any clear explanation. It could be as some of us have interpreted. Or it could be the result of any number of explanations. We have no details at all.

All the proof I need. It's in regard to the district but It also applies to why we don't have a cantha expansion pack.

It doesn't pass muster as an explanation because we already have mixed Asian designs in the game. And there are other games that do.
    I can think of half a dozen explanations that are just as plausible that have nothing to do with the present direction of the game.

• Infusion.7149Infusion.7149 Member ✭✭✭

Pretty sure Asians think the same about US holidays.

Just because you don't celebrate something doesn't mean it is "blah".

The only actual fact we have is that there were plans for a Canthan district in Divinity's Reach and that the section was removed at the last minute. "We kept getting feedback" is ambiguous about the source. We don't know if a Korean VP over at NCSOFT said, "don't do it" Maybe there was last minute feedback from playtesters in Asia. Or perhaps ANet had just entered into negotiations with KongZhong (the current publisher for the China version of the game) and they had an opinion. Or it could have been something else entirely. We simply haven't been told.

"Everyone was having a problem" is exactly the sort of thing I've heard VPs say when they mean, "I have a problem with it." It's hard to find evidence that entire ethnic groups "don't like having their architecture mixed," rather than it's a preference (strong or otherwise) by some individuals with clout.

It's not clear at all if this prevents GW2 from going to Cantha or if GW can do so but only under certain conditions or ... It could even be a tiny issue that ANet might have led ANet to decide, "why bother dealing with it at all, when we still have so many other places to go without worrying about what a vocal minority have to say."

The point is that we have one developer offering a single fact (Canthan District removed at the last minute), without any clear explanation. It could be as some of us have interpreted. Or it could be the result of any number of explanations. We have no details at all.

All the proof I need. It's in regard to the district but It also applies to why we don't have a cantha expansion pack.

It doesn't pass muster as an explanation because we already have mixed Asian designs in the game. And there are other games that do.
    I can think of half a dozen explanations that are just as plausible that have nothing to do with the present direction of the game.

Well my guess is it had to do with them launching the game in China, and they didnt want to do anything offensive. It seems to have lightened over the years or maybe gw2 in China isnt very profitable anymore so they dont care? Either way pretty lame people are sensitive about depicting culture, it should be taken as a compliment not an insult.

• @Zaklex.6308 said:

Also, cherry trees usually blossom in March/April, not at Lunar New Year (on Earth anyway - does Tyria even have seasons?).

Well my guess is it had to do with them launching the game in China,

I think that's a fairly likely scenario.

and they didnt want to do anything offensive.

In the eyes of KongZhong. Remember, it's KZ's decision based on their preferences, which we've seen before isn't necessarily representative of what actual Chinese players seem to enjoy. Based on some feedback we've seen from some English-speaking players of the CN game, it's possible that KZ doesn't understand their own market as well as they think.

Either way, I don't think it's enough to help us predict ANet's future choices about Cantha.

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭

We had canthan new year in GW because you know, there was Cantha. However there is No Cantha and probably never will be, and TBH I think if there is so much hate regarding this theme then they should just scrap it all together. It's not much of an event anyways, same old stuff you get at any others, and although I love seeing the canthan theme, it has no purpose other to appease the same people who are against us going to that area in the first place. You can't have your cake and eat it.

What has a 6 year old comment on the canthan housing district got to do with feedback on this years lunar new year? Can we keep on topic maybe?

• Eloc Freidon.5692Eloc Freidon.5692 Member ✭✭✭✭

No achievement set for doing dailies for 5 days to get a box is pretty disappointing. Its easy to do all the achievements and done. I'm not complaining its just sub par compared to all the rest. Zephyrites really set a bar.

• Judging by the Asian themed outfits Anet has put out, I don't have much faith in their Asian themed designs.

edited January 24, 2019

Even if there was hypothetical reason they don't want to represent mixed Asian cultures it's been 250 years in game time. That's more than enough time for new cultural styles to evolve. They could cook up a style that only hints at the source material. They could draw on Aztec and Mayan styles with a splash of generic north and central Asian to create a whole new style for the region in a future expansion.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2019

I now live in Taiwan and love Chinese new year over here. Sadly, I'm in the minority, and a lot of the western players don't "get" CNY.

I think you are wrong, or a thread like this would not have been created. You felt the Canthan influence in GW1's Lunar New Year, and there were so many more actitivities offered there! <3 Miss that. :(

GW2's Lunar New Year is only good for one thing: farming Luck (I maxed mine today). Even the Dragon Ball Arena can't even compete with the GW1 version, which was so much more fun (not a stressful battle royal).

• Biff.5312Biff.5312 Member ✭✭✭✭

I like it. It doesn't demand a lot of my time/attention to participate sufficiently to benefit nicely from it. Glancing at the achievement panel it looks like there's lots you CAN do, but I'm happy to just grab some quick gold/luck and move on.

@Randulf.7614 said:
    What has a 6 year old comment on the canthan housing district got to do with feedback on this years lunar new year? Can we keep on topic maybe?

Lunar new years is boring > not enough Asian themed decorations > why we dont have more cantha (Asian themed decorations) in the game. > what's anets aversion to cantha. There u go. Try reading the thread...

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Randulf.7614 said:

oh i'm sorry.

• Magek.4718Magek.4718 Member ✭✭✭

@Randulf.7614 said:
    I'd rather they didn't waste too much time on more festival stuff when this isn't a major festival - although I do like some of your ideas.

I do find it funny that instead of opening the envelopes and hope for 8 win, you can sell them on the TP for guaranteed 8g win..

Aren't the envelopes account bound on acquire though?

• Zaxares.5419Zaxares.5419 Member ✭✭✭

@Magek.4718 said:
    Aren't the envelopes account bound on acquire though?

The Little Lucky Envelopes are. The Divine Envelopes, which you can purchase 16 of a day, are not. People buy them because if you have very high levels of Magic Find, you can actually turn a reliable profit by opening them, with the chance of a big payday if you're lucky. For the people selling the envelopes, they'd rather not go through the RNG and are content to settle for a small profit per envelope.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.