New player asking help from the community — Guild Wars 2 Forums

New player asking help from the community

I decided to watch this video made by Karaoke[MEGA] .

I know I may get a lot of hate for my comment, but this is my view as a new player.

The problem is I've tried all of these things that people have mentioned to not get bored in gw2, and I just don't find the game at all interesting or fun. I really want to like this game because the community is really great for it and it's still a popular game but I don't feel any sense of characterization in the game. It's variety is great, the questing is fun, but I feel like crafting is almost non-existent, I also feel like there's a lot of paywalls when it comes to inventory, and bank space even crafting specialization is behind a paywall. A lot of the combat for me feels like it has no effect in the gameplay, I've reached level 80 and it still feels like I'm doing nothing. Often times I find myself running around in lets say a WvW and as soon as I fall into an enemy group I get 1 shot without being to even get 1 kill and it happens even when I'm in a group. There are many times where I don't know what to do either because I'm done the story, or it just becomes a pain to go through the story alone with higher level monsters that you can't win against alone. There are also times when I go to a high level area and it's just a pain to go through because they deal so much damage to you even though they are at your same level, just because you wanted to go explore. To top it off, areas that I explore that are high level are desolate and empty, it feels like you are alone and its a crappy feeling especially when you die with nobody near you. I feel helpless and there's nobody near me to save me, while the nearest waypoint is really far away. I also feel like my time hardly got rewarded whenever I run by lower level area's and they CC me to a walk and still deal a decent amount of dmg. The movement in the game really drags on the gameplay, and you see it even in combat as well. Don't get me wrong, this game is very very well made, they're perfected the aspects of the game but I just wished they'd give you more options for PVE aspects, as much someone would say there's a lot of options for each class well the fact is it's only restricted to that class, and the sense of achievement isn't as apparent. In other mmorpg's I've played, you often had to play conservatively and finish everything along the path, I'm that kind of player but I would collect trophies that I would hang or put on display in my player owned house or while building up my character/house. While in Gw2, I often find myself wondering what have I done so far in guild wars and I save all the boosters because I don't know when I will be able to efficiently use them. I'm running out of inventory space and bank space and here I'm left thinking how are you supposed to enjoy this game as I'm running out of space and I'm beginning to clutter. I always sell junk, deposit materials, but I never use boosters or open crates.

Comments

• Eros.6801Eros.6801 Member ✭✭✭

First of all, i do hate your negative point of view, also the video you mentioned is extremely outdated. My post will be long but please read it till the end, i'm here to help.

• I too understand how that feels like because i have the same experience with ESO, yeah no matter how many times i tried still can't get the feeling.
    • What you are lacking is probably a mentor as the way you expressed your experiences with the game rather all over the place and confusing.
    • I've been playing the game for almost 5 years WITHOUT pay a single coin to expand my bank or inventory slots, what i did was making gold and buy 18 slot bags which i'm still using until the very moment. When inventory is full, simply just buy salvage kit > deposits all material and when your bank also full, withdraw them and sell everything at one.
    • BTW are you free to play ? Those who have problem with their bank and inventory mostly are F2P players, it sucks !! i know but this game is Buy to Play.
    • What do you mean "Crafting Specialization" is behind paywall ? As far as i know every single crafting job is free to learn but like any other games you need to spend time and efforts to level them up. Is that what you mean paywall ? Or did you mean "Elite Specialization" ? This one is paywall but as i said, buy the game.
    • What class are you using ? What build are you running ? And where did you get your build ? Do you watch youtube or any guides available out there ? Please provide us more details otherwise we have no idea where to begin with.
    • GW2 is one of the best game for casual PvEer, i do agree with you the game seems confusing and lacking new players guide at first but you are the only one i know that had very bad experience with it.
    • WvW is not a joke, i mean it there is a lot of "not fun things" in there, you need to build up your gears, use the right build, practice and do research a lot in order to enjoy this kind of game mode.
    • The part where you die in open world probably has a lot to do with "learn to play" issue (i don't want to say this but there is no other words fit your situation). I do check your profile and this is the only thread you've made so far and no other "asking for help" before.
    • Please let us know more about your playstyle, what you have on you, your bank, how long have you been playing and is there any guild or anyone in the game that directly helped you so far ?.

MEH !!!

• @Eros.6801 said:

• What do you mean "Crafting Specialization" is behind paywall ? As far as i know every single crafting job is free to learn but like any other games you need to spend time and efforts to level them up. Is that what you mean paywall ? Or did you mean "Elite Specialization" ? This one is paywall but as i said, buy the game.

I thought at first he might have been talking about having to pay gold for stuff, but I think he means that having more than two crafting disciplines per character costs gems.

But even costs-gems things aren't an absolute real-money paywall. The exchange mechanism allows us to acquire gems for gold.

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• ZeftheWicked.3076ZeftheWicked.3076 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2019

@Risay.7516 said:

-snip-

Long story short - reason you suffer is because you treat challenges that are meant to make you a better player and teach you how to counter them, as unavoidable obstacles you can do nothing about.

I can teach you a thing or two about beating tough monsters and dealing with conditions, especially if you're a necro and on EU server. But it's your call if you wanna. My account name is clearly visible. It's your job to contact me ingame if you want some mentoring.

• Biff.5312Biff.5312 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Risay.7516 said:
    I decided to watch this video made by Karaoke[MEGA] .

I know I may get a lot of hate for my comment, but this is my view as a new player.

The problem is I've tried all of these things that people have mentioned to not get bored in gw2, and I just don't find the game at all interesting or fun.

This is as far as I read - simple solution. Don't play the game. You don't like it. There are plenty of alternatives.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.