There Really Isn't a Bronze Tier — Guild Wars 2 Forums

There Really Isn't a Bronze Tier

ArthurDent.9538ArthurDent.9538 Member ✭✭✭✭

General rhetoric on these forums and in game would have you believe that people keep getting matched with horrible players who surely must be in bronze with all the other horrible players that just got placed in the match by horrible match making. The thing is, is that actual bronze tier players are a special kind of ineffective that it is genuinely hard to become. I know you may be saying that you see people with bronze tags next to their name quite regularly heart of the mists or general pve, however it is highly probable that over 95% of these players only have the bronze tag because of decay. The reason to suspect this is that we have been told that the rating system is based on a bell-curve centered around gold 2, which makes sense since that is the exact middle of the bronze, silver, gold, platinum, legend tier system. And because it is a normal curve you can expect populations at the sides to be similar unless there is a reason to suspect it is a skewed bell curve, this means that the number of silver players should be comparable to the number of platinums and the number of bronze players should be comparable to the number of legends. By the end of last season there were only 8 accounts on NA rated in legendary on the leader-board so by extrapolation there are probably only around 10 players that play regularly and still have a bronze rating. Hard to call it an actual tier when there might not even be enough people in it to fill a game with. This is just a useless shower thought I had that some people might find interesting or can add to.

Tagged:

Comments

• Crab Fear.1624Crab Fear.1624 Member ✭✭✭✭

maybe they should shrink the divisions, or shrink the upper divisions and increase the lower.

i've seen people say most golds are really silver and bronze on cheese.

i wouldn't mind being in bronze, I would still fight 1700+ rank players

• Khalisto.5780Khalisto.5780 Member ✭✭✭

I think you're right, when I first played wvw I calibrated silver 2. I think it's kinda impossible be much lower than that as I was terrible and made all the possible mistakes. Last season I was trying to go lower as possible, and let my nephew do my placement matches, he had never played the game and got silver 2. PPl have to be level 20 or something to play ranked and they should be better than a Kid that had never played the game and jumped right to ranked.

I wanted to try go lower as possible, then I started feeling bad for the ppl in my team and gave up.

There's a guy that made a post about boting, I guess most if not all ppl in this tier are bots, cuz bots have like a 20% winrate

• otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think they should cap decay to 1500 rating. 1500 is not going to put you anywhere close to leader boards.

• apharma.3741apharma.3741 Member ✭✭✭✭

This makes me think.

Operation Dumpster Fire: Get as many people into bronze as possible, see how hard it really is to get there.

• Jeknar.6184Jeknar.6184 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2019

@apharma.3741 said:
    This makes me think.

Operation Dumpster Fire: Get as many people into bronze as possible, see how hard it really is to get there.

I can't even seen to drop out of Platinum consistently without actively throwing matches... Let alone drop to bronze...

Ferguson's Crossing Mithril Squire (Rank 5001) - PvP Phoenix (Rank 72) - 30k Achievement Points
    Exalted Kawagima, Calamis Fatima, Hanna Flintlocke, Suzuhara Suzuka, Sally Furious Ant, Sabetha Deadeye, Bjarl of Souls, Lilian Mistwalker, Kelvena Riverstream, Zallha Wildhunt

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@apharma.3741 said:
    This makes me think.

I can't even seen to drop out of Platinum consistently without actively throwing matches... Let alone drop to bronze...

So maybe this is the end game challenge for everyone, play so bad that you end up in Bronze.

https://mightyteapot.tv/mysticbuilds/enter

If you click random build it will generate a random build, see if you can get to bronze playing random builds.

edited January 25, 2019

We can also do loss-trading to get to bronze like people do win-trading to get to Legend

Kappa

Ferguson's Crossing Mithril Squire (Rank 5001) - PvP Phoenix (Rank 72) - 30k Achievement Points
    Exalted Kawagima, Calamis Fatima, Hanna Flintlocke, Suzuhara Suzuka, Sally Furious Ant, Sabetha Deadeye, Bjarl of Souls, Lilian Mistwalker, Kelvena Riverstream, Zallha Wildhunt

• AliamRationem.5172AliamRationem.5172 Member ✭✭✭✭

I feel like there's something we're missing. We don't know how many players there are below the top 250, but if it were something close to a bell curve centered on gold 2 and we know that the top 250 consists of plat 2-legendary, that would seem to indicate that there are only ~250 players in bronze 1 through silver 2. Is it just me or does that seem unlikely?

Perhaps it's just that a competitive game mode like PvP tends to attract better players than non-competitive modes and so "average" is going to be a higher caliber of player in PvP than say open world. But sometimes looking at how people play this game I find myself wondering if maybe a significant portion of players aren't really just cats walking on a keyboard treadmill (keyboard treadmills are totally a thing!)?

• Crinn.7864Crinn.7864 Member ✭✭✭✭

@AliamRationem.5172 said:
    I feel like there's something we're missing. We don't know how many players there are below the top 250, but if it were something close to a bell curve centered on gold 2 and we know that the top 250 consists of plat 2-legendary, that would seem to indicate that there are only ~250 players in bronze 1 through silver 2. Is it just me or does that seem unlikely?

Perhaps it's just that a competitive game mode like PvP tends to attract better players than non-competitive modes and so "average" is going to be a higher caliber of player in PvP than say open world. But sometimes looking at how people play this game I find myself wondering if maybe a significant portion of players aren't really just cats walking on a keyboard treadmill (keyboard treadmills are totally a thing!)?

The bell curve is centered on 1200. Bronze players do exist, they just aren't the players that live in HoTM.

Sanity is for the weak minded
    YouTube

• mortrialus.3062mortrialus.3062 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:
    I don't think I can actually post a screen of the bell curve, but it's pretty standard bell curve in general with the middle being between 1200-1250. While there are actually more bronze than legendary. But as a part of the whole population, the number of bronze players is very small.

Wow! This is fascinating! I was actually thinking of posting in this thread saying "There's probably more legit bronze than legendary." I would love to know more about all sorts of other usage statistics you have access to, buddy, friend pal-o-mine.

The Psychomancer: Mesmer Elite Specialization Suggestion

• Dreddo.9865Dreddo.9865 Member ✭✭✭

@Crab Fear.1624 said:
    maybe they should shrink the divisions, or shrink the upper divisions and increase the lower.

This is a good suggestion. We all know PvP pop is low, not to mention top 250 how many alts it has? There is no point of having 3 sub tiers per tier when bronze seems practically non existent - I often meet players not even knowing how to use their skills in gold.

• Number of players in bronze is relatively small? Yeah, that's wrong.

[EU] Ímpáct | Impact Illusions | Ímpáct D | Impact Elements
    Twitch page

• sephiroth.4217sephiroth.4217 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Kunzaito.8169 said:

@Impact.2780 said:
    Number of players in bronze is relatively small? Yeah, that's wrong.

Wrong as in, it shouldn't be that way, or wrong as in you are saying it's factually incorrect? Since he's the one with, you know, the actual data...

he could be seeing decay badges

Not to brag, but I put together a puzzle in 4 days and the box said 2-4 years.
    Please allow team queue with rewards again at our own discretion

• Shouldn't the standard be something like having most of the game's population at bronze/ silver, and then have it dwindle the higher it goes? It feels weird to me that there's potentially more gold players than silver, and more silver players than bronze. Or maybe I'm just too used to League of Legend's logic.

• Fortus.6175Fortus.6175 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2019

I don't think I can actually post a screen of the bell curve, but it's pretty standard bell curve in general with the middle being between 1200-1250. While there are actually more bronze than legendary. But as a part of the whole population, the number of bronze players is very small.

If thats the case, then its actually possible to calculate to a decent estimate the total PvP population; within 2 standard deviantions we have 87.5% of all players, we already know the middle point 1200-1250, we have the highest MMR value, as well as a numerical value that we can correlate with the MMR (top 250). Now all I gotta do is wait for someone good with statistics or mathematics in generals to use that information and come up with an answer.

That aside, I'm interested in knowing win-rates per professions, specifically elite specializations. I know it doesnt mean much when you have the same elite on both sides, and that they have different skills and builds and players playing them, but over a large enough sample, chances are all players are shuffled around, all variables are found on both sides, some games will have more or fewer of one class than the other, so I'm sure the numbers do become significant then, all its left is correctly evaluating what they mean.

This part makes me very dubious we will ever get that info:

I don't think I can actually post a

But I only hope one day you guys are more willing to share this info with us, I'm not a dev however I would like to think that I to some extent I can use critical thinking (and try to reduce my implicit and explicit bias) to analyze that information.

Cheers!

@apharma.3741 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@apharma.3741 said:
    This makes me think.

So maybe this is the end game challenge for everyone, play so bad that you end up in Bronze.

If you click random build it will generate a random build, see if you can get to bronze playing random builds.

lel, having basic notions of rotations and posicioning is enough to stay at least in silver 3 no matter what build you use

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@apharma.3741 said:
    This makes me think.

lel, having basic notions of rotations and posicioning is enough to stay at least in silver 3 no matter what build you use

Sounds like you want to give it a try, see how you do rolling random builds for a few days. It's an interesting experiment.

edited January 26, 2019

@apharma.3741 said:

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@apharma.3741 said:
    This makes me think.

Sounds like you want to give it a try, see how you do rolling random builds for a few days. It's an interesting experiment.

sure, I'm trying to reach bronze anyway and climb it to plat

Already tried all types of meme builds, like zerk warrior, pp deadeye zerker and all other high burst 0 sustain, couldnt get lower than silver 3

I should try out my mender shout support cc warrior, worst build I've ever played

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@apharma.3741 said:
    This makes me think.

Already tried all types of meme builds, like zerk warrior, pp deadeye zerker and all other high burst 0 sustain, couldnt get lower than silver 3

I should try out my mender shout support cc warrior, worst build I've ever played

The thing is... The builds are not meme ones... They are literally random traits and utilities with random weapons.

I rolled a Random Mesmer build on the site just to see what it was about and it gave me a Scepter+Pistol/Staff while having the Greatsword trait (Domination) and all wells end well with zero wells equipped.

• otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2019

The issue the op was illuduing to is due to decay some players may have the bronze tag even though they have a much higher actual rating before decay. Basically you are stuck with a badage that says I am a bad player.

I think that decay should be limited to 1500 rating. If you are inactive, it pushes you out of the leaderboards (which is the objective).

• TexZero.7910TexZero.7910 Member ✭✭✭✭

@DiogoSilva.7089 said:
    Shouldn't the standard be something like having most of the game's population at bronze/ silver, and then have it dwindle the higher it goes? It feels weird to me that there's potentially more gold players than silver, and more silver players than bronze. Or maybe I'm just too used to League of Legend's logic.

Not quite.

You want both extreme's Bronze and Grandmaster ideally to contain less than 5% of the active population. Then you want some heft to silver but not so overbearing that each match feels like a complete mess, most games have the ideal curve for that population at around 15%. Gold in general (various by game) is your statisical average ranging from 30-35% of the population. Plat (or whatever each game uses for the next rank) is basically Silver 2.0 with roughly 20-25%. Diamond/Masters is roughly 10-15%.

I can't say this is the model GW2 follows but this is what most multi-tiered PvP games follow. The idea is that the most of your population is in the average category with room to grow but not to exceptional levels without something being out of whack. People on either extreme are usually outliers, be it good or bad.

• Master Ketsu.4569Master Ketsu.4569 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Impact.2780 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@apharma.3741 said:
    This makes me think.

The thing is... The builds are not meme ones... They are literally random traits and utilities with random weapons.

I rolled a Random Mesmer build on the site just to see what it was about and it gave me a Scepter+Pistol/Staff while having the Greatsword trait (Domination) and all wells end well with zero wells equipped.

There are definitely more bronze than most people here on the forums realize. I seriously doubt Ben would BS us about the average player being Silver III / Gold I that actually makes sense. You have to consider that those of us who actually bother to post on the PvP forums care more about PvP and are thus likely going to be slightly higher rated than average. So instead of 1200-1250 the average PvP poster is prob 1350-1500. With how matchmaking works ( And remember MMR also exists in unranked ), anyone above Gold III is unlikely to go up against Silver II and below.

Here is an experiment most people can do to experience this: Queue unranked stronghold. As in check Stronghold and uncheck conquest. This will make the matchmaker take much longer to find you a party, which if you have above average MMR will pit you against much lower MMR than normal. You will see what Bronze players are like. They do exist, and generally are people who are using their PvE open world build in sPvP. AKA new to the game.

• Trevor Boyer.6524Trevor Boyer.6524 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2019

@Master Ketsu.4569 said:

@Impact.2780 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@apharma.3741 said:
    This makes me think.

There are definitely more bronze than most people here on the forums realize. I seriously doubt Ben would BS us about the average player being Silver III / Gold I that actually makes sense. You have to consider that those of us who actually bother to post on the PvP forums care more about PvP and are thus likely going to be slightly higher rated than average. So instead of 1200-1250 the average PvP poster is prob 1350-1500. With how matchmaking works ( And remember MMR also exists in unranked ), anyone above Gold III is unlikely to go up against Silver II and below.

Here is an experiment most people can do to experience this: Queue unranked stronghold. As in check Stronghold and uncheck conquest. This will make the matchmaker take much longer to find you a party, which if you have above average MMR will pit you against much lower MMR than normal. You will see what Bronze players are like. They do exist, and generally are people who are using their PvE open world build in sPvP. AKA new to the game.

I actually did this for fun recently, for something different during down season. I had people in my team that were stopping mid match and asking things out loud in /m chat such as "Is a sword a good weapon on a warrior?" "Where am I supposed to go?" "Why can't I change my build?" <- These are bronze tier players. Well, if they cared to join ranked and play, they would eventually tank themselves down to bronze 3 I'm sure.

• Chuck.2864Chuck.2864 Member ✭✭✭

@Master Ketsu.4569 said:

@Impact.2780 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@apharma.3741 said:
    This makes me think.

You can see this in normal unranked too if you queue during season and in weird hours maybe. I've seen full signet mesmers, other such builds, 3 people capping a node together, etc. These are typically just new players, but not always. They might also be extremely casual players who click on skills etc. These are players who are about as good as the class NPCs in the combat training area and I'm not exaggerating or saying this to be an kitten, it's just how it is.

Bronze and low silver players exist, I'm a member of PvE guilds and can typically see the same people in the friends & guildies panel hovering around 900-1000 rating every season.

The question if you don't see their badges is where are you looking. As someone here said I doubt many of them spend time in HoTM.

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@apharma.3741 said:
    This makes me think.

lol, the builds are extremely awful, even if you try to do something you cant, to be the best of the best with this builds use a berserker gear

• Yannir.4132Yannir.4132 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Chuck.2864 said:
    They might also be extremely casual players who click on skills etc.

I'm Plat 1 and I click on skills. Mainly the utility skills. Thinking about it now, that's probably why I'm terrible at Rev.

• Just finished my placements on my alt.......my first 2 matches which i assume was in bronze ....i was 1v3ing and winning as a sd thief . People literally don't know about dodge .
    Silver players on the other hand do no know what their skills do. Gold players have no idea about rotation. And plat 1 is like people don't know about disengages or simply are too confident to do so. plat 2 and plat 3 is just whichever team snowballs the most. God the matches with a rev+ thief duo on both sides is cancer.

• Timo.1065Timo.1065 Member ✭✭✭

@Khalisto.5780 said:

It' s really nice to hear that you admit on forum that you trolling to reach bronze. Your target is to lose, rest 4 players probably are grateful.

• UfoCoffee.2084UfoCoffee.2084 Member ✭✭✭

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@apharma.3741 said:
    This makes me think.

I always thought no way people still click their skills in MMOs nowadays but at plat 1 gold 3 ISH a couple of seasons ago we had a reaper on the opposition saying their skills in chat. Everyone on both teams were cracking up when they put 1 and 1 together.

The team with the reaper in it lost but had highest damage and defense. He got to low plat/high gold clicking. I interesting indeed.

@Timo.1065 said:

@Khalisto.5780 said:

It' s really nice to hear that you admit on forum that you trolling to reach bronze. Your target is to lose, rest 4 players probably are grateful.

Nah, all the harm is now undone as I already carried them back up

• Cicada.6298Cicada.6298 Member ✭✭
    edited February 5, 2019

@apharma.3741 said:
    This makes me think.

I'm trying, but it really does seem impossible.

Welp I got Chill_Seven to play mystic builds tonight...yeah I don't think it's possible to end up in bronze even playing random janky builds.

• I will test this and lose every qualifying match on 1 of my alts. I dont believe there is even a silver rating. For science of course.

• Cicada.6298Cicada.6298 Member ✭✭
    edited February 6, 2019

@Magnus Godrik.5841 said:
    I will test this and lose every qualifying match on 1 of my alts. I dont believe there is even a silver rating. For science of course.

I've worked down to Silver 1, but unless I intentionally sabotage/throw the game by dying repeatedly (which I'm not doing), it's getting harder and harder (with longer queue times) to get any lower.

• Zephyra.4709Zephyra.4709 Member ✭✭✭

@apharma.3741 said:
    This makes me think.

the memes. B)

for real though I always land Gold 3 (skipped the last few seasons) and break into plat one way or another playing some of the weirdest builds. Unleash the turret engis... send out the venomshare teefs. Bronze builds lets do thissss.

• Highlie.7641Highlie.7641 Member ✭✭✭

I tried to hit a rating of 1 a few year's ago, It is impossible. that match maker will eventually make your teammates decent while the enemy team get's progressively worst.

• sephiroth.4217sephiroth.4217 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019

@Chuck.2864 said:

@Master Ketsu.4569 said:

@Impact.2780 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@Jeknar.6184 said:

@apharma.3741 said:
    This makes me think.

You can see this in normal unranked too if you queue during season and in weird hours maybe. I've seen full signet mesmers, other such builds, 3 people capping a node together, etc. These are typically just new players, but not always. They might also be extremely casual players who click on skills etc. These are players who are about as good as the class NPCs in the combat training area and I'm not exaggerating or saying this to be an kitten, it's just how it is.

Bronze and low silver players exist, I'm a member of PvE guilds and can typically see the same people in the friends & guildies panel hovering around 900-1000 rating every season.

The question if you don't see their badges is where are you looking. As someone here said I doubt many of them spend time in HoTM.

Theres actually a decent Signet Mesmer build...
    Can post a vid if you like? If not, this is the build: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAW8ensICVohlpBeoBEgilTjiMAWggqear2u9sKiimA-jZQFBAQZAA

Quick overview: Lots of CC that procs Power block, Lots of Boon rip, Lots of condi removal, Constantly apply a tonne of "slow", Get lots of procs from traits with every disrupt as traits have no ICD and way too much "invuln" uptime. Basically holds well against everything but excels vs classes like Condi Mirage, Boonbeast, Warrior, Holo and FB or any boon reliant build.

It has way more invulnerable uptime than any other build ive experimented with but only if you can chain it all together with CS and it can be done while rezzing, stomping, CC and casting 😂😂😂

you can also take it up a notch by replacing Dom with Illusions and traiting to reflect on distortion, as signets apply distortion on use but it can mess up the stealth signet.

Not to brag, but I put together a puzzle in 4 days and the box said 2-4 years.
    Please allow team queue with rewards again at our own discretion

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.