Missing / Checkboard character or NPC textures [Merged] — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Missing / Checkboard character or NPC textures [Merged]

Issac Ursaga.2947Issac Ursaga.2947 Member
edited February 9, 2019 in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

gw043.jpg During the order of whispers quest, "Stealing Secrets", upon being told to listen in on the Ministry Guard's conversation, I discovered that the textures were completely missing for the two guards in question. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Tagged:
<13

Comments

• I consistently experienced this bug during "Victory or Death" part of the storyline as well as on my freshly created Warrior during any of the story dialogues. It seems to be a persistent issue across all characters that occurs since last patch. Tried to repair and that didn't do anything to fix it.

• Here are some images of missing character textures in the Personal Story "Getting the Band Back Together: A Spy for a Spy"
    0e7f7b209d65d36c08669788660ef2ae.jpg

and
    db42616d6ad381223865cbe149861149

and
    7d9d744631e05858a1d3d154ab911250

The bug occurred 4:20-4:30 PM, January 24, 2019. I was in Ascalon / Smokestead / Black Citadel area I think

My character's name is Vhaus, level 28, mesmer, charr and I was not in a group.

On my previous character I had no issues like this during Personal Story (many months ago).

• This has just began to happen to me as well, during Charr personal story cutscenes. Important characters like Torga and textures for the personal character's flame legion disguise will be completely b/w checker'd out. Only happening to me since today.

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

This is a really odd bug but I've seen another sharing similar screen shots so it could be game wide.

Wonder how it happened.

• ZerotheFang.5890ZerotheFang.5890 Member ✭✭
    edited January 25, 2019

so during the cinematic for A sparkling rescue zojja is well all covered in white and black checkers for some reason it seems only in cinematic only no idea why this is happening i was just taking an alt through story for weekly key and saw this made report in bug thing also posting here kinda creepy way it looks.

edit: seems to effect rest of asura quest line, also started a human alt so one of the soldier that talks to the captain at the inn also was as well in starting thing idk if this is something effected by a recent patch cause i have not key farmed in ages but yeah 2 races i am thinking something is bugged script wise or some code missing from those textures got deleted during a patch.

• Me also during the Order of Whispers questline with the pirates in the cutscene. AND during the Norn Intro, Eir Stegalkin is completely checkerboard.

• Automaton.2751Automaton.2751 Member ✭✭
    edited January 25, 2019

I've seen someone else had this problem with Councilor Gixx not a few days ago, but I've just had similar in my cutscene with marjory and kasmeer.
    Wouldn't let me post it as an actual picture so will just have to check the link.
    gw020_zpsc362tiad.jpg.html

• @Automaton.2751 said:
    I've seen someone else had this problem with Councilor Gixx not a few days ago, but I've just had similar in my cutscene with marjory and kasmeer.
    Wouldn't let me post it as an actual picture so will just have to check the link.
    gw020_zpsc362tiad.jpg.html

If you use imgur.com (use the Direct Link button in the image display), you can use the image button here and get the image displayed in your post.

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• I've done it that way using PB and it worked before, did exact same thing but this time it didn't.

• Hey, my friends have been experiencing something like this in cutscenes, I haven't but one sent me a screenshot of the issue. Any idea what caused this? I don't have imgur atm so just got a link.
    [IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/aemtlv.png[/IMG]

• Hi,

We really appreciate reports about art issues, but would like to ask that they be posted in this announced/sticky thread, following the instructions in the initial post. That will allow us to get to the bugs and to have the information to make meaningful fixes, when needed. Thanks!

Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

• I've merged this to consolidate concerns. Please be sure you clearly explain where you're seeing the missing textures: map, story event, etc. Also, a screenshot is great. You can post it directly here if hosted on Facebook, Imgr, Tumblr or videos on YouTube.

Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

• I am also having the same issue with Zojja in my personal story as an Asura. Only happens in cut scenes . As a lore junkie this is really annoying. Hopefully it get's fixed soon

• Kitty.6219Kitty.6219 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2019

I'm redoing Path of Fire main story, and in The Sacrifice step, Vlast has no body, it's an invisible body with a cluster of crystals floating in a very vague dragon like shape. :L

This only happens in the movies, the in-game model looks fine!

• reporting the same bugs. This only happens during cinematics cutscenes (mine is during the ending of "long live the lich" episode).

• Popping here to second the problem. The first time this happened to me was a few nights ago while leveling a new asura. Zojja was missing her textures in every single cut scene, and I remade the character a few times trying different stories, same problem every time. Now, going back thru the norn story, during the opening 'I am norn' movie, the image of Eir was the same. Now, several story chars in the Mikkel story are also missing textures.

https://imgur.com/OtGBTOJ

All the messed up characters look like this. So far, Zojja, Eir, Nollar, and 'Son of Svanir' in another cutscene were bugged.

• RandomWolf.3986RandomWolf.3986 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019

The texture errors are happening to other content but the Personal Story, including Living World (Season 2 included) and dungeons!

• Happened again tonight going thru story content, this time the 'welcome to the vigil' quest.
    https://imgur.com/5q4CTjt
    https://imgur.com/Tw2D1pW

• FYI I wanted to see if this issue was in my game files being corrupted somehow, or on the client's side. So I first performed a client repair. That did not solve the issue. As a second attempt I did a full uninstall and reinstall. This also did not solve the issue. I am hoping we get some sort of issue resolution or response soon because this is annoying. As someone who really enjoys lore in games this is kind of immersion breaking.

• Bubbagump.4158Bubbagump.4158 Member ✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019

i been seeing this too in my cut scenes in story lines ,, zoija looks very weird checkered lol ,,, glad its not just me. i don't think this is so much a pc related issue as it is a patch related issue ,,, Ill be more specific i started a new character and its doing this in low level stuff as well so far its been zoija in the cutscene talks and i think another character as well in cut scene talks as others have said in game play the characters are fine.

• Gaesesagai.9421Gaesesagai.9421 Member ✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019

Here's a few screenshots I took.

https://imgur.com/eES7it8

3 of those are from Tangled Paths: Into the Labyrinth. 2 different characters. I've ran it on 5 different characters, each one had the same bug.
    The Hero screen one (in Mistlock Sanctuary) is simply opening the Hero menu and selecting Miniatures. I've seen this happen quite often. The checkered texture (or lack of a texture whatever) fixes itself if I switch the current mini and then back to it.

I've also seen this happen in personal story, during the Vigil intro cutscene (someone else posted a screenshot and it's identical to what I had) and during Kellach's Attack (one of the unskippable cutscenes), but I forgot to take screenshots there.

Edit: The bug is really recent. I think it started once we got the invisible mobs fix for fractals, or maybe I'm wrong. Either way, it's a week or 2 old.

• Countess.3267Countess.3267 Member ✭✭
    edited January 31, 2019

50921733_10155886467851781_3334225713665409024_o.jpg This is an image of Romke all checkered in "Romke's Final Voyage" episode of the Personal Story (Core game). I'll be adding more with Zojja, who is a frequent offender, in the next post.

Me:
    Charr, Male, Engineer
    Where/When:
    Cut scenes with Romke in Romke's Final Voyage story.
    Problem:
    Romke is a checkerboard.
    When:
    23 January 2019, 22:25 Eastern Time

• Here is Zojja in "Victory or Death".
    51088744_10155886467836781_4720928700579708928_o.jpg

Me:
    Charr, Male, Engineer
    Where/When:
    Cut scenes with Destiny's Edge in "Victory or Death" story.
    Problem:
    Zojja is a checkerboard.
    When:
    24 January 2019, 02:05 Eastern Time

• Zojja again in "The Snaff Prize"
    50981714_10155886467801781_3356905490335399936_o.jpg

Me:
    Asura, Female, Revenant
    Where/When:
    Cut scene in "The Snaff Prize" story.
    Problem:
    Zojja is a checkerboard.
    When:
    30 January 2019, 21:13 Eastern Time

• Before coming here and seeing that the problem was fairly wide spread, I figured there was an error in my GW2 file, so I ran it with the "-repair" argument in the target line of my desktop shortcut. After running repair I went back into the story and the next episode was with Zojja. Here she is:

50934441_10155886467901781_7968232604115664896_o.jpg

Me:
    Asura, Female, Revenant
    Where/When:
    Cut scene in "Taking Credit Back" story.
    Problem:
    Zojja is a checkerboard.
    When:
    30 January 2019, 21:41 Eastern Time

While I'm disappointed to see the characters messed up, I'm relieved to see I am not the only one with the problem and that you are working to address it.

• Countess.3267Countess.3267 Member ✭✭
    edited January 31, 2019

Also, it's not just in cut scenes. This is a giant ooze in Metrica Province, right at the POI called "PR&T Esoterics". It's part of a dynamic event that you can see titled in the picture. It is a persistent bug, as it happened in the same event twice today, both before and after I ran "-repair".

50872894_10155886513801781_5256517852604661760_o.jpg

Me:
    Asura, Female, Revenant
    Where/When:
    Dynamic Event "Break the ooze projection..."
    Problem:
    Ooze is a transparent checkerboard.
    When:
    30 January 2019, 22:48 Eastern Time

• Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    Hi,

We really appreciate reports about art issues, but would like to ask that they be posted in this announced/sticky thread, following the instructions in the initial post. That will allow us to get to the bugs and to have the information to make meaningful fixes, when needed. Thanks!

Hi Gaile.
    Thanks for re-linking the Character issue thread. But, for shame of off-posting, there’s many on the first page of that discussion , let alone the rest of it, that still haven’t been fixed, one being one of the newer Charr faces and many helm skins not fixing correctly onto the face, more notably all Gemstore items don’t fit correctly on this particular face for Charr. This has been the case since atleast September 2017. I wouldn’t want to discourage people from reporting issues in the relevant stickies, but it seems many issues get forgotten in said stickies.

The above was written as part of an attempt to waste time.

• I've noticed this in cinematics during the last few days too. Including ones from the early personal story that I know have been fine before. With the widespread occurrence and timing, I'm guessing this is related to a recent update. Some screens I managed to grab today:

• I just came across this issue as well. In Chapter 4 of the Charr's story (Order Neophyte) in the first cutscene in the first part (Setting the Stage) Zojja is textureless.

• Zojja bugged here since the beginnin gin cinematics, how dio i fix it?

• edited February 1, 2019

Have the exact same issue, also can confirm Zojja was broken as well

• Well it's nice to see this is a wide spread issue but I do hope it's going to get fixed soon.
    gw001.jpg

• I'm having an issue when I'm watching a cinematic video with two characters talking to each other during stories one of the toons show up as white and black boxes... Attach is a link to the image. Please help...

What I've done:
    ~ Update nVidia GFX drivers.
    ~ Repair GW2 Game Client.

*Here is a link to the image showing the issue.
    https://ibb.co/ZTL5nwx

• Today in Crucible of Eternity story path:
    https://imgur.com/4nQ3M7J
    Zojja was bugged in every single cutscene for the entire run.

• @Countess.3267 said:
    Also, it's not just in cut scenes. This is a giant ooze in Metrica Province, right at the POI called "PR&T Esoterics". It's part of a dynamic event that you can see titled in the picture. It is a persistent bug, as it happened in the same event twice today, both before and after I ran "-repair".

Me:
    Asura, Female, Revenant
    Where/When:
    Problem:
    When:

That particular 'missing texture' has been there for years and years. Also shows up (or, well, the texture doesn't) on the little oozes needed for the Renown Heart.

edited February 2, 2019

Can confirm I have also had the issue now in the Human Personal Story.

I was playing with a friend in his instances.. he did not have the bug but I did on the Apothacary and another NPC I forgot the name of.
    I also had the bug while doing Ascalon Catacombs the other day.. during path 3 after the players are turned into ghosts I noticed that when my Charr character used Reaper Shroud my avatar after returning back to a Charr had the same texture bug which only became evident after turning back into a ghost human and my charr avatar remained in the game for a few seconds like a clone with the same texture bug.

I'm wondering if elite specs may have something to do with this bug since every time I've seen it I've been playing a character using an elite spec.. meanwhile my friend in the same instance and cutscene did not have the bug and was playing only core proffession.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@Countess.3267 said:

Me:
    Asura, Female, Revenant
    Where/When:
    Problem:
    When:

That particular 'missing texture' has been there for years and years. Also shows up (or, well, the texture doesn't) on the little oozes needed for the Renown Heart.

Wait it's not supposed to look like that?
    I thought it was supposed to look like that XD

• Come on now

Checkered textures is a clear sign that textures are missing or damaged. Its like the universal visual error message for that.
    Since repairing the game files doesnt fix the problem, it means that the textures are broken/missing/damaged on the servers side.

Anet, you need to go through each cutscene texture and confirm that its not broken on your end

GW2 is a game about story, and when the story is this borked and goofy looking, it sorta ruins the experience. Please fix it asap.

• Occurs in "Setting the Stage" - Zojja textures do not load. She appears as a checker board.
    Same thing occurred in the Norn starter quests when Eir is dressed up as a Beer Merchant.
    Occured again in Vigil's "A Fragile Peace" Almorra and Warmaster Forgal.

https://imgur.com/a/Tut4A7P

https://imgur.com/a/lspQZVb

https://imgur.com/a/mVKW06v

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

Just glancing down the first page and you would have seen this thread
    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/66870/missing-character-or-npc-textures-merged#latest

• Just had a chat with Zojja in my Asura's story and thought Zojja was revealing her 'checkered past' :D I'm glad to see here it's not just me!

• crazyhusky.2985crazyhusky.2985 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2019

I was playing Asura first time and this happened...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4bxexzqnebpkx5l/gw443.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ce9hg2t3dki6qk/gw444.jpg?dl=0
    Zojja and That other Asura went checkered on me.

Did the game break in someway? It seems like you guys having issues too.

I am kinda afraid to go back and do the story.

• Glad to know I'm not the only one! Hope someone can come up with a fix.

• Aaralyna.3104Aaralyna.3104 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2019

I just had exact same on the mime in personal story of human lvl 20 (Clown College story part)

https://i.imgur.com/mYkrRSv.jpg

(can't get image to work as image and no clue why)

It also happened later in story after infiltrating the warehouse (but then on left npc)

https://i.imgur.com/3MF2mLA.jpg

• I have had the same problems in the Charr and Human stories...

Anyone know if ArenaNet is addressing this?

• Tharofa.7409Tharofa.7409 Member
    edited February 4, 2019

I just had the same problem in a Sylvari personal quest when playing my lvl. 26 mesmer (around 16:00 GMT today).

• Quest: Seeking the Zalisco, track down the Dengatl thieves.
      Part: Help Pellam gather evidence.
      Chief Dekkti had missing textures.
      https://imgur.com/n4iqWJV

Kinda off topic.. kinda not but.

Does this mean we'll be getting a checkered man tonic for april fools this year? :P

• Axarr.6358Axarr.6358 Member
    edited February 4, 2019

Also got this bug in the story mission, "Mightier than the sword." The norn at the beginning had gone to plaid.
    https://imgur.com/e2ZRFtj

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.