istan farm and gem

Khalisto.5780

Well clearly when something is nerfed there is a lower supply so that means that prices go up. That's basic supply and demand economics. Why is it nerfed? Because it was too profitable compared to the rest of the game. Whether the solution is the right one is another discussion and I do believe there are threads already discussing this topic.

@Gehenna.3625 said:Well clearly when something is nerfed there is a lower supply so that means that prices go up. That's basic supply and demand economics. Why is it nerfed? Because it was too profitable compared to the rest of the game. Whether the solution is the right one is another discussion and I do believe there are threads already discussing this topic.

I think it's the other way, this map was filling in ppl with gold, more gold more ppl buy gem, more ppl buying gem price goes up

@Mackowidz.4629 said:Wasn't it the same with AB multiloot? We expected that price of globs will go up after they nerfed ML, but it didn't really change and then PoF came and lowered them even more.

Globs dont have best sinks though, the amount people produce is alot higher than the amount they consume.Gems are a different story though, since you need to pay real $$$ to get them. Everybody wants them, yet only some buy them with real money.

Istan is (was) an overall gold SINK when viewed in terms of the global game. Every trade shipment that was opened was 1 raw gold removed. Further, people usually sold the shipment contents on TP for another ~ 30 silver destroyed in TP fees. Same with TP fees on any other unids/loot that got sold. More gold chasing same items = higher prices.

Gem Store sales/discounts/new items push Gem prices up, wait until the Gem Store has less activity, that's when Gem prices drop and you can stack up on Gems (this is what I do). If the nerf did have an effect on Gem prices it will appear in a few weeks or months, not immediately, the economy needs time to adjust.

@"Khalisto.5780" said:with the istan nerfed i thought the gem prices would get lower, happens it is higher than never

any explanation bout it?

It takes the markets time to react to the changes. Plus, there are so many other influences on gold:gem rates. In particular, whoever runs the Gem shop inventory has gotten more clever; there have been a lot more things introduced ore recycled in the past 12 months that have given people reasons to convert gold to gems. For the first time in since I started tracking in 2012, there was no noteable "Wintersday discount" in the rate due to people converting from gems to gold (presumably from gift cards).

Before gold:gem changes much, I expect we will see the prices of other things on the TP go up (decreased supply), plus a few things dropping (decreased demand as the former farmers reallocate their spending).

But... RIBA farms still exist and they have long been competitive with Istan, even if not as lucrative at times. (They have always been more lucrative for certain types of farmers in any case.)

tl;dr too soon for a change on Tuesday to impact the gold:gem rate.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Khalisto.5780" said:with the istan nerfed i thought the gem prices would get lower, happens it is higher than never

any explanation bout it?

It takes the markets time to react to the changes. Plus, there are so many other influences on gold:gem rates. In particular, whoever runs the Gem shop inventory has gotten more clever; there have been a lot more things introduced ore recycled in the past 12 months that have given people reasons to convert gold to gems. For the first time in since I started tracking in 2012, there was no noteable "Wintersday discount" in the rate due to people converting from gems to gold (presumably from gift cards).

Before gold:gem changes much, I expect we will see the prices of other things on the TP go up (decreased supply), plus a few things dropping (decreased demand as the former farmers reallocate their spending).

But... RIBA farms still exist and they have long been competitive with Istan, even if not as lucrative at times. (They have always been more lucrative for certain types of farmers in any case.)

whats RIBA?

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@Khalisto.5780 said:with the istan nerfed i thought the gem prices would get lower, happens it is higher than never

any explanation bout it?

whats RIBA?

A silverwaste map that run bettwen Red, Indigo, Blue and Amber in a circle.Editover and over and over and over and you guessed it over.

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@Khalisto.5780 said:with the istan nerfed i thought the gem prices would get lower, happens it is higher than never

any explanation bout it?

whats RIBA?

The Red Indigo Blue Amber map rotation in Silverwastes. Basically you run to each forts in RIBA order, or RABI if you're anti conformist, doing events in each of them to maximize the amount of events you participated into to get more reward.

@thehipone.6812 said:Istan is (was) an overall gold SINK when viewed in terms of the global game. Every trade shipment that was opened was 1 raw gold removed. Further, people usually sold the shipment contents on TP for another ~ 30 silver destroyed in TP fees. Same with TP fees on any other unids/loot that got sold. More gold chasing same items = higher prices.

It was not a gold sink. The value of the contents in a shipment was worth much more than it's purchase cost, even after market tax (which is why isan is a gold farm....not sink). It was generating more gold than it destroyed. Same with unid gear. The sink, was sheer time. A gold sink is when liquid gold is removed from the player economy, and its not recoverable. This is done through trade/market tax or investing gold into items that won't have any market value (like crafting bound gear that cannot be traded or salvaged to recover its liquid value).

@MMOStein.3872 said:

@thehipone.6812 said:Istan is (was) an overall gold SINK when viewed in terms of the global game. Every trade shipment that was opened was 1 raw gold removed. Further, people usually sold the shipment contents on TP for another ~ 30 silver destroyed in TP fees. Same with TP fees on any other unids/loot that got sold. More gold chasing same items = higher prices.

It was not a gold sink. The value of the contents in a shipment was worth much more than it's purchase cost, even after market tax (which is why isan is a gold
farm
....not sink). It was generating more gold than it destroyed. Same with unid gear. The sink, was sheer time. A gold sink is when liquid gold is removed from the player economy, and its not recoverable. This is done through trade/market tax or investing gold into items that won't have any market value (like crafting bound gear that cannot be traded or salvaged to recover its liquid value).

No.

I'll walk you through it - Player A has 5 gold. Player B has 10 gold. 15 gold between them.Player A wants to earn gold and goes and farms istan enough to buy one trophy shipment for the example. He buys it from the vendor for 250 VM and 1 gold.Player A now has 4 gold and the contents of one shipment.Player A lists the contents of the shipment on the TP for a total of 2 gold and pays the 5% listing Fee. Player A now has 3.9 gold.Then Player B comes along and buys the shipment contents for 2 gold because he wants the materials. Player B now has 8 gold and the materials.Player A gets 1.8 gold delivered into his pickup tab after the 10% fee. Player A now has 5.7 gold.

After all of that, Player A has 5.7 gold, Player B has 8 gold,. 13.7 gold between them, even though A now has more. 1.3 liquid gold removed from economy and converted into materials. Sure, you could sell those materials on the TP, but that would just transfer gold from Player C and incur additional TP taxes and increase the gold removed further.

What thehipone said. When you kill enemies during Istan farm, the killed enemies do not drop 30 gold in an hour. Gold is not generated from Istan farm.

Despite what some players want to believe, the nerf to Istan farm isn’t so that Anet can sell more gems. Sure, player A, who did lots of Istan farm and sold his items to player B, may have less reason to buy gems. But player B, who gave his gold to player A, now has less gold and has more incentive to buy gems.

The game does not revolve around serving just players who want to farm Istan, without giving a care about the game as a whole. If Anet’s data shows that (the old) Istan farm has a negative impact on the majority of the player base, they have to nerf it for the overall health of the game. This is not greed on Anet’s part. In fact, the farmers who believe that Anet should cater to just them and not the game as a whole are the ones being greedy.

Archived