PVP Recommendations & Where's the Competition in this game ?

RsErCaNo.9056

Hello,

disclaimer: I'm a newbie.

I truly liked the game and the all style it brings to MMORPG. But there're a few missing points imho.I don't have friends who play gw2 so I'm playing it all alone and really desire to do decent PvP, but gear should be a thing in PvP so I really hate PVP which forces you to use same gear with everyone, what's the point to farm to 80, use professions to craft unique weapons etc.. if you can't use them to the other people ??

Therefore I've decided to play WvW since I'm able to use gear I farmed through all game long. At this point as I said I'm alone and I need really decent gear so I started to search where to begin but I really don't know where to get best gear ?

Should I stick with dungeons, raids, world bosses or fractals to get best gear to use on WvW ???

Also I could've use of a few suggestions about what to do after reaching lvl 80, fun in my terms means competition, so please don't come with advices such as farm another char to 80, use crafting etc. (Unless it's a competitor in game among the other players) Also it's really not funny to play PvP since everybody has same gear, I understand that doing tactics is a thing but gear should make difference imho.

@RsErCaNo.9056 said:but gear should be a thing in PvP so I really hate PVP which forces you to use same gear with everyone

It's called pvp based on skill, not gear.

On that note, most successful esport games are based around players being given equal opportunity. I've never seen any player of Dota, League, Counter Strike, etc. be advantaged by grinding gear. If you were serious about fair pvp, then you would not be in favor of grinding for the gear.

@RsErCaNo.9056 said:Therefore I've decided to play WvW since I'm able to use gear I farmed through all game long. At this point as I said I'm alone and I need really decent gear so I started to search where to begin but I really don't know where to get best gear ?

Maybe start with what class you want to play. Then decide on a build. Then check where to get the appropriate gear. The highest stats on gear is found on ascended gear. That in turn is found in different places of the game depending on which stats you need.

@RsErCaNo.9056 said:

Also I could've use of a few suggestions about what to do after reaching lvl 80, fun in my terms means competition, so please don't come with advices such as farm another char to 80, use crafting etc. (Unless it's a competitor in game among the other players)

I'm not sure you will stay with this game for long. You seem to want to be able to grind and grind and then destroy people with your "better gear". The actual gear scaling in GW2 is very flat compared to other MMOs (not to mention there is players with a 6 year head start on you). This game is all about builds and variations as well as horizontal progression and not vertical.

That said, most people do the following once they hit level 80:

• get their elite specializations unlocked
  • finish the story
  • get full exotic and then start working towards ascended
  • get mastery points and progress their mastery tracks

Those seem like good places to start when 80.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@RsErCaNo.9056 said:but gear should be a thing in PvP so I really hate PVP which forces you to use same gear with everyone

On that note, most successful esport games are based around players being given equal opportunity. I've never seen any player of Dota, League, Counter Strike, etc. be advantaged by grinding gear. If you were serious about fair pvp, then you would not be in favor of grinding for the gear.

Well let's check the games you've mentioned; Dota, LOL both are moba based RPG games, Counter Strike is an online FPS game, so these are not MMORPG, if I wanted to play those kind of games I would, to me the main point of MMORPG is competition based PvP games not skill based. Also there's not really much logic in PvP matches like in the PvE, so where's the skill in that ? Hitting the V in the right time ? I doubt that. You should grind, craft to get best gear so that you'll have advantage on PvP among others, of course there's skill too but, within whole gameplay, with a bit luck you must be the one who tries to get best gear (kills best bosses, does best raids etc..) to have advantage among other in PvP.

@RsErCaNo.9056 said:Therefore I've decided to play WvW since I'm able to use gear I farmed through all game long. At this point as I said I'm alone and I need really decent gear so I started to search where to begin but I really don't know where to get best gear ?

Maybe start with what class you want to play. Then decide on a build. Then check where to get the appropriate gear. The highest stats on gear is found on ascended gear. That in turn is found in different places of the game depending on which stats you need.

I'm pretty confused here since I'm new, could you please explain more or redirect me to somewhere ?

Also I could've use of a few suggestions about what to do after reaching lvl 80, fun in my terms means competition, so please don't come with advices such as farm another char to 80, use crafting etc. (Unless it's a competitor in game among the other players)

I'm not sure you will stay with this game for long. You seem to want to be able to grind and grind and then destroy people with your "better gear". The actual gear scaling in GW2 is very flat compared to other MMOs (not to mention there is players with a 6 year head start on you). This game is all about builds and variations as well as horizontal progression and not vertical.

• finish the story

Thank you so much for the advises, the main point of grinding is so that I can proof that I'm the one true player in the game among others. I really like the stories in-game but they're not giving me the competition I want at all, they're just like playing Witcher 3. Therefore If I do such staff you've mentioned, would that make difference in WvW ? I always feel like something is missing in this game, crafting is awesome, stories are awesome, PvE is like perfect, but there's something that bothers me which is no competition at all.

Would that mean playing WoW instead of GW2 make me happier since the gear is effective in PvP in there ? (as I've heard of.)

@RsErCaNo.9056 said:

Well let's check the games you've mentioned; Dota, LOL both are moba based RPG games, Counter Strike is an online FPS game, so these are not MMORPG, if I wanted to play those kind of games I would, to me the main point of MMORPG is competition based PvP games not skill based. Also there's not really much logic in PvP matches like in the PvE, so where's the skill in that ? Hitting the
V
in the right time ? I doubt that. You should grind, craft to get best gear so that you'll have advantage on PvP among others, of course there's skill too but, within whole gameplay, with a bit luck you must be the one who tries to get best gear (kills best bosses, does best raids etc..) to have advantage among other in PvP.

There is no huge MMOs in the esports scene. Dota and League while using the accounts of pro players will give access to dummy accounts or accounts with a character in case a player does not own items (unlikely since the pros play the games for ages). Serious competition in those games is NEVER disturbed by grind.

@RsErCaNo.9056 said:

I'm pretty confused here since I'm new, could you please explain more or redirect me to somewhere ?

What is confusing? Which class to pick? Which build to play? What gear there is?

Here, basic google searches:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Equipment_acquisition_by_statshttps://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki

@RsErCaNo.9056 said:

• finish the story

Thank you so much for the advises, the main point of grinding is so that I can proof that I'm the one true player in the game among others. I really like the stories in-game but they're not giving me the competition I want at all, they're just like playing Witcher 3. Therefore If I do such staff you've mentioned, would that make difference in WvW ? I always feel like something is missing in this game, crafting is awesome, stories are awesome, PvE is like perfect, but there's something that bothers me which is no competition at all.

Would that mean playing WoW instead of GW2 make me happier since the gear is effective in PvP in there ? (as I've heard of.)

Again, this games grind is not that deep or long and definitely has an end to it (unless you go for side grades or different builds). You are looking for something which you will not necessary find here. Maybe check Blade and Soul or Black Desert Online. Yes, WoW would probably make you happier too in the long run.

This game is not about gear stats, it's all about your gear "appearance". Legendary armor/weapons (the "best" in game) are no more powerful then ascended. What makes them legendary is the look and the ability to swap stats, but other then that the stats are the same. You can grind for decades in this game and not have gear that is any better then a player who has been playing for a few months or even less. PvP in this game is all about your personal skill as a player, not what gear you have.

@RsErCaNo.9056 said:Hello,

disclaimer: I'm a newbie.

I truly liked the game and the all style it brings to MMORPG. But there're a few missing points imho.I don't have friends who play gw2 so I'm playing it all alone and really desire to do decent PvP, but gear should be a thing in PvP so I really hate PVP which forces you to use same gear with everyone, what's the point to farm to 80, use professions to craft unique weapons etc.. if you can't use them to the other people ??

Therefore I've decided to play WvW since I'm able to use gear I farmed through all game long. At this point as I said I'm alone and I need really decent gear so I started to search where to begin but I really don't know where to get best gear ?

Should I stick with dungeons, raids, world bosses or fractals to get best gear to use on WvW ???

Also I could've use of a few suggestions about what to do after reaching lvl 80, fun in my terms means competition, so please don't come with advices such as farm another char to 80, use crafting etc. (Unless it's a competitor in game among the other players) Also it's really not funny to play PvP since everybody has same gear, I understand that doing tactics is a thing but gear should make difference imho.

I like that they offer both. WvW is a PvP game, but it lets you use PvE gear. sPvP offers a level playing field, which is really how competitive PvP should be. There are other issues, of course, but I think that's something they did absolutely right.

I couldn't disagree more about the gear - giving everyone access to the same items and hopefully having those equate to fairly balanced sets means PvP becomes about skill, which is surely the only point of it. There is no significance if a player wins vs another simply because he has better gear. The question is who is the better combatant.Also, if it becomes just about gear, then suddenly everyone has to grind all the best gear before playing PvP is viable. It just generates a ton of work everyone would then have to do that they currently don't.

@phs.6089 said:

@RsErCaNo.9056 said:I admit you both guys have a point, and thanks for your advises

You are not forced to use same gear, you have a chose from variety of equalized amulets. Making you and anyone else equally geared.What is the fun of PvP where you can one-shot undergeared players?

While it might be fun sometimes to one-shot people were is the competition if gear trumph skill?

Archived