World Boss Portal Device - timing

Biff.5312

When I first got this I thought it was amazing - it really helped me make sure I didn't miss events. But lately I find more and more that if I get a 10 minute notice, and use it to travel to the event, I find that the event is already in progress or even almost over. Does it just transfer you to a random map that the event MAY be happening in, as opposed to putting you in one where it is in fact due to start in 10 minutes? This is starting to happen so often that I've largely stopped using it.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Can you give any specific examples? Which boss and what time did you get the notice, what time did you arrive in the map?

Also take @Khisanth.2948's implied suggestion: double check that your computer's time is correct. (Normally, it should automatically adjust, but there are circumstances when it can get out of sync.)

Auto is the default(for windows at least) yet a surprising number of people still have the wrong time set sometimes the wrong date all together ...

An example is the Ulgoth event, which I do freqently. There are pre-events and maybe that affects the timing. What I come for is the village raid, where you kill waves of incoming centaur for loot. When the device gives me a chat warning that it is impending, I often immediately wp and go to the spot. Usually that means waiting 8-9 minutes for it to begin, but also quite often it's already underway, and sometimes it only has a minute or two left on the timer. Obviously I may not be porting IMMEDIATELY, and that may account for some time lost, but too often it's well underway upon my arrival.What I did notice last time is that there was only a couple of minutes left at 24 minutes past the hour, whereas normally the event doesn't begin until half past. Does this mean that in fact the server time on display in my mini-map could be off?

The Ulgoth pre-events(same with Svanir Shaman, Megadestroyer and possibly others) are very bad examples because those events also run independent of their world bosses. If their timing overlaps it will also count for the world boss.

Both local and server time display relies on your system's clock. The difference is the time zone.

@"Biff.5312" said:An example is the Ulgoth event, which I do freqently. There are pre-events and maybe that affects the timing. What I come for is the village raid, where you kill waves of incoming centaur for loot. When the device gives me a chat warning that it is impending, I often immediately wp and go to the spot. Usually that means waiting 8-9 minutes for it to begin, but also quite often it's already underway, and sometimes it only has a minute or two left on the timer. Obviously I may not be porting IMMEDIATELY, and that may account for some time lost, but too often it's well underway upon my arrival.What I did notice last time is that there was only a couple of minutes left at 24 minutes past the hour, whereas normally the event doesn't begin until half past. Does this mean that in fact the server time on display in my mini-map could be off?

Yes, the pre-events for Ulgoth are ... not typical compared to the other bosses. Those events take place throughout the day, not just prior to the boss' arrival. Back in the day, people farmed that chain for mats (and if you got lucky, you could swap maps and do it again, without having to wait for the cooldown).

So randomly, you could be on a map that was "Ulgoth ready" (all the towns under Human control) or one that was fresh and needed to start from scratch. If you have the first, then the 10 minute warning might be too little. If the latter, then you might not have enough time to finish and get to the next boss. Off the top of my head, the only other boss that works like that is Karka Queen, in which arriving on a map at the start of the event can be too late. (That is partly due with the boss not having evolved to survive modern DPS numbers.)

As a tip for Ulgoth, it might be useful to park a character inside the centaur stronghold, so that instead of waypointing via device, you swap toons and you're right there. If early, you can sneak out (if you park at a clever spot); if late-ish, you should be able to get credit anyhow (especially if you can join a squad as you arrive).

Excluding Ulgoth and Karka Queen, is it an issue for any other boss? If so, which?

Archived