Unyelding Anguish landing

Gustaff.6581

Been messing around with this skill and it looks similar to warrior's earthshaker. While I could occasionally disconnect unyielding anguish's attack ground, I could not disconnect earthshaker's attack ground. The reason I suspect is related to the fact that earthshaker is a slightly better leaper than unyielding anguish. So yeah it is terrain but also the skill's leap profile. Another thing to note is that you may be "falling" farther than the skill's attack range. I noticed that happen on some of my disconnects.

@"Justine.6351" said:So yeah it is terrain but also the skill's leap profile. Another thing to note is that you may be "falling" farther than the skill's attack range. I noticed that happen on some of my disconnects.

This, sometimes this skill is so bad that the aoe falls almost exactly in my starting position, for short range jumps there is no problem, but then the skill losses its purpose of being a gap closer.

Underwater version is much better, it makes a shadowstep into the enemy, with no delay and always landing the aoe where i want to.

@Conqueror.3682 said:

@"Justine.6351" said:So yeah it is terrain but also the skill's leap profile. Another thing to note is that you may be "falling" farther than the skill's attack range. I noticed that happen on some of my disconnects.

sometimes this skill is so bad that the aoe falls almost exactly in my starting position

Really? Can you post a clip of it happening? The skill seemed fairly good in normal use. I was intentionally trying to break the skill for an hour to try and figure out what it was that you were describing and only had it fail a couple times.

also post your regular ping. I am 60-80 range typically. If you are like AU and have 300+ it could be more telling of what is happening.

@"Conqueror.3682" said:Screenshots dont let me show the targeting reticule.

ermmmm, i dont know how to upload images into this forum.... i will leave this link.

Usually i play with 180 - 250 ping

I will try to make a video, but my editing skills are terrible and dont the software to edit them.

The first screenshot (effect still in the air after jumping off a cliff) also happens with hammer 3. Good News: The effect location may be bugged, but it still deals damage to everything below it.I'm currently trying to reproduce the "starting point" bug.

Edit: I tried it out some more, and if the cliff is too high the zone will not affect enemies under it.

@"Conqueror.3682" said:Underwater version is much better, it makes a shadowstep into the enemy, with no delay and always landing the aoe where i want to.

I've often wished there was a general game option such as "Targeted skills activate instantly at target location". In most situations being able to place your targeted skill is beneficial, such as leading or anticipating the foe, or placing a trap or something like that. But sometimes I just want to abandon the strategic benefit of placement for the speed of instant placement. This might be especially useful for renegade's stunbreak which often feels slow to activate and place when I'm stunned and want to quickly stunbreak. As long as this was an option people could set and not forced either way, it could benefit everyone.

@Orion Templar.4589 said:

@"Conqueror.3682" said:Underwater version is much better, it makes a shadowstep into the enemy, with no delay and always landing the aoe where i want to.

I've often wished there was a general game option such as "Targeted skills activate instantly at target location".

There is.... look at the targeting options. The dropdown that allows you to select the type of ground targeting has for options "click twice, hold button and cast on release, cast instantly", you want the third one?

That third choice allows you to spam grenade 1 with engineer by holding 1, too.

He and I tested Unyielding Anguish in game and came to the conclusion it is very sensitive to lag. He was at I think he said 180 ping from South America and I was at 80 ping in North America. Posting a little clip of some of our testing.

Further we believe this skill could benefit from the similar mechanic phase smash has where the effect is always placed at the target location regardless of where the revenant ends up.

@"Skotlex.7580" said:There is.... look at the targeting options. The dropdown that allows you to select the type of ground targeting has for options "click twice, hold button and cast on release, cast instantly", you want the third one?

Yeah - maybe asking too much I guess, but I'd like an option to have it be one press activate. For example if I pressed the button for Darkrazor he would cast immediately at my targeted foe location. (Would make stunbreak faster.) And on topic, same for Unyielding Anguish - with that option it would act on land more like how it acts underwater.

@"Skotlex.7580" said:There is.... look at the targeting options. The dropdown that allows you to select the type of ground targeting has for options "click twice, hold button and cast on release, cast instantly", you want the third one?

Yeah - maybe asking too much I guess, but I'd like an option to have it be one press activate. For example if I pressed the button for Darkrazor he would cast immediately at my targeted foe location. (Would make stunbreak faster.) And on topic, same for Unyielding Anguish - with that option it would act on land more like how it acts underwater.

afaik that is a possibility already. Necromancers abuse the eff out of this in wvw with marks and shades.

We can already do that. Last I recall Cast Instantly simply lets you cast it the moment you click it. And with Cast on Release if you just double tap it it will cast right where you are. I play with Cast on Release so that I can position it first but when I'm in a hurry I just double tap and it casts instantly on the spot I am at. Cast Instantly should let you one click and drop the AOE on the target at the time of the click.

Try out the options I am very confident that what you want is already in the game as I recall doing it to some extent.

@"Dace.8173" said:We can already do that. Last I recall Cast Instantly simply lets you cast it the moment you click it. And with Cast on Release if you just double tap it it will cast right where you are. I play with Cast on Release so that I can position it first but when I'm in a hurry I just double tap and it casts instantly on the spot I am at. Cast Instantly should let you one click and drop the AOE on the target at the time of the click.

Try out the options I am very confident that what you want is already in the game as I recall doing it to some extent.

It's close, but not quite what I'm looking for. The ground targeting "Instant" option we have currently places the effect at the mouse cursor location. But what I'd rather have as an option is target's location. I say this because especially in a busy battle, the mouse cursor can be tough to find so using it as a visual to place a targeted skill can be a challenge.

@"Dace.8173" said:We can already do that. Last I recall Cast Instantly simply lets you cast it the moment you click it. And with Cast on Release if you just double tap it it will cast right where you are. I play with Cast on Release so that I can position it first but when I'm in a hurry I just double tap and it casts instantly on the spot I am at. Cast Instantly should let you one click and drop the AOE on the target at the time of the click.

It's close, but not quite what I'm looking for. The ground targeting "Instant" option we have currently places the effect at the mouse cursor location. But what I'd rather have as an option is target's location. I say this because especially in a busy battle, the mouse cursor can be tough to find so using it as a visual to place a targeted skill can be a challenge.

Guy...we are telling you it already is an option. Maybe go in game and test the available settings. Well I did and it took me a whole 1 minute to set it up and test it.

Your welcome.

@"Justine.6351" said:

Guy...we are telling you it already is an option. Maybe go in game and test the available settings. Well I did and it took me a whole 1 minute to set it up and test it.

Your welcome.

I apologize if we're talking past each other, and we may be taking the thread down a slightly different path than the OP intended. But what you outlined while useful isn't what I had in mind. For example if I match my options to your video, with ground targeting set to "Instant" and the AoE snap to target box checked, if I press the button for one of my renegade band members, he will spawn immediately at the mouse cursor's location. Rather than the mouse cursor's location, I want him to spawn at my target's location regardless of where the mouse cursor is. It sounds like you're saying that should be doable already? If so I'm sorry I appear to be overlooking it.

@"Justine.6351" said:

Your welcome.

I apologize if we're talking past each other, and we may be taking the thread down a slightly different path than the OP intended. But what you outlined while useful isn't what I had in mind. For example if I match my options to your video, with ground targeting set to "Instant" and the AoE snap to target box checked, if I press the button for one of my renegade band members, he will spawn immediately at the mouse cursor's location. Rather than the mouse cursor's location, I want him to spawn at my target's location regardless of where the mouse cursor is. It sounds like you're saying that should be doable already? If so I'm sorry I appear to be overlooking it.

Its because kalla summons are fucking garbage with their casting locations. Cant cast them to an area you cannot teleport to yourself and apparently cannot snap to target them either. Thee most unpolished elite spec in game. Better nerf CoR, again...

@Justine.6351 said:

Your welcome.

Its because kalla summons are kitten garbage with their casting locations. Cant cast them to an area you cannot teleport to yourself and apparently cannot snap to target them either. Thee most unpolished elite spec in game. Better nerf CoR, again...

Agreed, at this point we are dealing with issues related to Kalla, not a game feature that is not in the game. You can do what you suggest with most everything else. I play Elementalist, a lot. When things get harry I bust out the staff. I have no issue with target, click, rince, wash, repeat and the spell hitting exactly at my target and not somewhere random where my mouse is at the moment.

Not everything in this game with an AOE targeting field targets like one would expect a normal AOE field would. Engineer grenade kit is infamous for the bad targeting you get with it. I'll test this out on Kalla tonight, as it's been awhile since I actually paid attention to Kalla and targeting but I'm 100% with @Justine.6351 on this.

@Orion Templar.4589 said:Agreed it looks like the Kalla summons just don't work as expected with those targeting options like other skills do. Very strange and frustrating.

maybe is some sort of spacing issue, I mean, lets just imagine we are in the first part of the battleground fractal, and you want to destroy the burning oil cauldrons that are over the first boss, where do you put Visk icerazor to damage them?

@"Conqueror.3682" said:Screenshots dont let me show the targeting reticule.

ermmmm, i dont know how to upload images into this forum.... i will leave this link.

It counts the distance you travel downwards (or upwards if you're using it to cheese jumping puzzles) as part of it's max distance traveled. And once you hit 600, the AoE goes off and you lose all forward momentum. But the targeting circle will show the 600 only linearly.

@Conqueror.3682 said:

@Orion Templar.4589 said:Agreed it looks like the Kalla summons just don't work as expected with those targeting options like other skills do. Very strange and frustrating.

maybe is some sort of spacing issue, I mean, lets just imagine we are in the first part of the battleground fractal, and you want to destroy the burning oil cauldrons that are over the first boss, where do you put Visk icerazor to damage them?

You don't. You cast citadel bombardment instead and instakill the cauldron because of the wonky way the projectiles interact with things on walls. (Unless this was fixed)

@Quarktastic.1027 said:

You don't. You cast citadel bombardment instead and instakill the cauldron because of the wonky way the projectiles interact with things on walls. (Unless this was fixed)

That doesnt answer the question, you dont need a space to cast citadel bombardment, for Kalla summons you need a walkable space to put a warband npc, unless they make the skill a pure aoe and left the summon as a cosmetic effect, but thats not the case.

Archived