Bring back enemy execution

Amaimon.7823

In Living World Season 1 we saw a few enemies that had the downed state, much like we have.And personally, I loved that. It adds a whole new level to both gameplay, and immersion, knowing your enemies are as tenacious as you are. So I'm thinking that maybe the (war)forged and other important enemies should have a downed state as well. Especially concidering how weak they were in the beta (like a warm knife on butter) they could use a little more resilience like a downed state. Too bad this system has been entirely restricted to the Lord in PvP and the Toxic Court. I would really love to see more of this system

Agreed. I would like to see more of it in special group play, event chains etc, to allow the tactical consideration of which players are effectively out-of-play for several seconds. On the flip side, having it plague open world mobs (i.e. not event chain) would get annoying quite quickly.

I think we only want it because it is used so infrequently in PvE, but it only takes a small push in the other direction before it's tiresome.

@calb.3128 said:Agreed. I would like to see more of it in special group play, event chains etc, to allow the tactical consideration of which players are effectively out-of-play for several seconds. On the flip side, having it plague open world mobs (i.e. not event chain) would get annoying quite quickly.

I think we only want it because it is used so infrequently in PvE, but it only takes a small push in the other direction before it's tiresome.

I can see your point, I understand.As it stands now, there's only 1 PvE mob that utilizes execution. I think we can up the number a little:not to all open world mobs but to named mobs, elites, some events, and a few specific types of enemies: the intelligent Modrdrem, Risen, and Forged (so not all, but a few uncommon types that clearly have a leader-like status)

I would much rather see an increase in foe power while they are up than have a down state added after we have essentially defeated them. In situations like this, where you have successfully overcome a foe, put him down, defeated him, requiring an additional box to be ticked before you can get credit is just a means of padding the encounter, drawing it out after you have won, in order to pretend that it was more of a challenge than was actually the case. Adding tedium to encounters doesnt make them better.

@Ashen.2907 said:I would much rather see an increase in foe power while they are up than have a down state added after we have essentially defeated them. In situations like this, where you have successfully overcome a foe, put him down, defeated him, requiring an additional box to be ticked before you can get credit is just a means of padding the encounter, drawing it out after you have won, in order to pretend that it was more of a challenge than was actually the case. Adding tedium to encounters doesnt make them better.

Thinking not in terms of single enemies, but in groups. If you're finishing, you're not attacking the remaining enemies - or do you down them all, then finish? Just one more thing to consider. It's not game changing, but to have a few encounters like this in event chains (like with toxic mobs) would help with variety.

Edit: The thought of standing in AoE from HoT mobs to finish... :'(

@Amaimon.7823 said:

@calb.3128 said:Agreed. I would like to see more of it in special group play, event chains etc, to allow the tactical consideration of which players are effectively out-of-play for several seconds. On the flip side, having it plague open world mobs (i.e. not event chain) would get annoying quite quickly.

I can see your point, I understand.As it stands now, there's only 1 PvE mob that utilizes execution. I think we can up the number a little:not to all open world mobs but to named mobs, elites, some events, and a few specific types of enemies: the intelligent Modrdrem, Risen, and Forged (so not all, but a few uncommon types that clearly have a leader-like status)

But not ever in the case of events with one boss and no adds. For example, having this in Bounty missions (guild or PoF) is a bad idea, since that only pads out the encounter.

But it would work well with large numbers of enemies in an event.

@calb.3128 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:I would much rather see an increase in foe power while they are up than have a down state added after we have essentially defeated them. In situations like this, where you have successfully overcome a foe, put him down, defeated him, requiring an additional box to be ticked before you can get credit is just a means of padding the encounter, drawing it out after you have won, in order to pretend that it was more of a challenge than was actually the case. Adding tedium to encounters doesnt make them better.

Thinking not in terms of single enemies, but in groups. If you're finishing, you're not attacking the remaining enemies - or do you down them all, then finish? Just one more thing to consider. It's not game changing, but to have a few encounters like this in event chains (like with toxic mobs) would help with variety.

Edit
: The thought of standing in AoE from HoT mobs to finish... :'(

If it works like finishing in WvW then your cleave/AoE is working on finishing a downed foe even as you fight to defeat others. It really just doesnt translate over to PvE very well in my opinion.

Thinking about it, I think the function would serve best on enemy commanders (creatures such as the Kingpin in Siren's Landing). Commanders are powerful enough to warrant a downstate, and a downstate functionally serves them well considering they are likely near their buffed allied mobs who can rez.

Archived