Mount jumping puzzles

Rico.6873

I'd love to see jumping puzzles which require mounts. The only one I can think of is the jackal puzzle in Crystal Oasis. Although that also highlights one problem with them - you can skip the entire puzzle and get to the chest much faster by using the griffon. I imagine it's quite hard to make a puzzle where that's not an issue and I don't know if they can disable only specific mounts, it seems to be all or nothing.

What I've been thinking about for a while and would love to see implemented is a jumping puzzle with multiple different paths through it. For example one which is like the Siren's Landing puzzle with no tricky or timed jumps and no mounts, the challenge comes from finding the right route but if you go wrong you'll most likely only have to backtrack, you won't be killed or dropped out the puzzle entirely. Then there could be a harder one with timed or difficult jumps but no mounts, and one which requires mounts. Maybe other things too like sections using gliding or the Season 3 movement skills. Ideally the different paths would join up periodically so you choose a different route if you want to - with a clear indication of which way leads to which path, like steps you jump up to get to the easy one, a timed jump for the middle one and a jackal portal for the mount one.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether the rewards should be different for the different paths. The obvious answer is yes (which then needs some way to track which path/s you took) but I'm inclined to think if that's too much effort it could be skipped and just have the same chest for everyone because the rewards for jumping puzzles are typically rubbish anyway and people either do them for achievements or because they enjoy doing them.

@Danikat.8537 said:I'd love to see jumping puzzles which require mounts. The only one I can think of is the jackal puzzle in Crystal Oasis. Although that also highlights one problem with them - you can skip the entire puzzle and get to the chest much faster by using the griffon. I imagine it's quite hard to make a puzzle where that's not an issue and I don't know if they can disable only specific mounts, it seems to be all or nothing.

What I've been thinking about for a while and would love to see implemented is a jumping puzzle with multiple different paths through it. For example one which is like the Siren's Landing puzzle with no tricky or timed jumps and no mounts, the challenge comes from finding the right route but if you go wrong you'll most likely only have to backtrack, you won't be killed or dropped out the puzzle entirely. Then there could be a harder one with timed or difficult jumps but no mounts, and one which requires mounts. Maybe other things too like sections using gliding or the Season 3 movement skills. Ideally the different paths would join up periodically so you choose a different route if you want to - with a clear indication of which way leads to which path, like steps you jump up to get to the easy one, a timed jump for the middle one and a jackal portal for the mount one.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether the rewards should be different for the different paths. The obvious answer is yes (which then needs some way to track which path/s you took) but I'm inclined to think if that's too much effort it could be skipped and just have the same chest for everyone because the rewards for jumping puzzles are typically rubbish anyway and people either do them for achievements or because they enjoy doing them.

Totally agree with your idea of having multiple paths. Sadly it's super difficult to add that to the game unless the map is just gigantic. I'd love another Draconis Mons type of map but with mounts in mind. That would be cool and would easily offer ways of including idk a cave system full of paths

They did do this, sort of, in All or Nothing. In the Dwarven Tombs is a path that can only be reached by mount and switches back and forth between long jumps and high jumps such that even the Griffon can't do it all. The reward is a Mastery Point

I would love to see something like this, that also included a classic jumping puzzle to traverse it if you don't want to use mounts. There could even be an achievement to do it that way, since they can apparently track if you're on a mount or not at any given time.

@Danikat.8537 said:I'd love to see jumping puzzles which require mounts. The only one I can think of is the jackal puzzle in Crystal Oasis. Although that also highlights one problem with them - you can skip the entire puzzle and get to the chest much faster by using the griffon. I imagine it's quite hard to make a puzzle where that's not an issue and I don't know if they can disable only specific mounts, it seems to be all or nothing.

I had a idea for that....Repelling random plants/item/dragon leftovers that repels Griffons/certain mounts you could still glide ofc but its way harder to reach the end with a gliderthen with a griffon

It always bugged me that Areanet simply banned mounts on some locations without thinking of a something that stops mounts from being used....

@mauried.5608 said:Its simply not practical as all the mounts have differant skills, so it would require a specific type of JP for each type of mount , and thats far too much effort for too little return.You cant assume that everyone has all the mounts.

True but its also a good motivator to get all the mounts

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:They did do this, sort of, in All or Nothing. In the Dwarven Tombs is a path that can only be reached by mount and switches back and forth between long jumps and high jumps such that even the Griffon can't do it all. The reward is a Mastery Point

And two more hidden chests, if you have the Light of Deldrimor on you and use it as you go.

[edit] They're not at the end, they're somewhere along the tunnel.

I think pretty much the whole cliff face running through the western half of the new map was designed for this purpose. If you just want to get back up to the north half of the map you can ofc just wp or use the paths around the side, but if you want to enjoy your mounts I don't think the very convenient distances between the ledges on the way up were arranged arbitrarily . . .

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:They did do this, sort of, in All or Nothing. In the Dwarven Tombs is a path that can only be reached by mount and switches back and forth between long jumps and high jumps such that even the Griffon can't do it all. The reward is a Mastery Point

I would love to see something like this, that also included a classic jumping puzzle to traverse it if you don't want to use mounts. There could even be an achievement to do it that way, since they can apparently track if you're on a mount or not at any given time.

I loved that. Sadly I did it backwards by accident because I was outside on the mountain when I saw the mastery point so I climbed up the outside thinking that's how you get to it and only discovered the Tombs afterwards. But going through it backwards was quite fun, and then I did it forwards too so I could see how it was supposed to be. It just wasn't quite as exciting already knowing what's at the end, one of my favourite things about jumping puzzles is not even knowing I'm doing one at first - thinking I'm just wasting my time, poking around an extra bit of scenery which is climbable, then suddenly (or gradually) realising it's a deliberate path and wondering where it goes.

@mauried.5608 said:Its simply not practical as all the mounts have differant skills, so it would require a specific type of JP for each type of mount , and thats far too much effort for too little return.You cant assume that everyone has all the mounts.

If they put it into a map which requires PoF to access (like season 4 does) then it's a reasonable assumption that anyone there has the raptor, springer and skimmer because you can't get far in PoF maps without those. The jackal is optional, but it seems pretty rare to find someone who has played PoF and doesn't have it. The only one I'd say they shouldn't assume PoF players have is the griffon. Mounts are PoFs big feature, not requiring them just in case someone hasn't unlocked them yet would be like saying HoT maps can't require gliding, or use the upgrades like updrafts and ley lines, or we can't have level 80 maps in the base game because some people haven't gotten to level 80.

But also jumping puzzles are optional extras. Most of the time they just give an achievement and a few items out the chest. Sometimes they're required for a collection, but even then it's not something anyone needs to do unless they want that 1, optional, item. So if someone doesn't have the mounts yet they can skip this puzzle, just like all the mastery points, hidden rooms etc. which require them, and come back later when they've got it.

A JP for mounts will have to be extremely large, as the jumping range for at least the Raptor and the Springer is many orders of magnitude larger than what a player can jump them selves.If you look at the size of a conventional JP and then have to make one thats 20 - 50 times bigger it becomes an extremely large task as the most intensive activity in an MMO is creating new graphical content.JP in general are not that popular, and I cant see why one for mounts would be any more popular.

You could assume everyone will have the Raptor, Springer, and Skimmer as they come from completing PoF story mode though.

@mauried.5608 said:A JP for mounts will have to be extremely large, as the jumping range for at least the Raptor and the Springer is many orders of magnitude larger than what a player can jump them selves.If you look at the size of a conventional JP and then have to make one thats 20 - 50 times bigger it becomes an extremely large task as the most intensive activity in an MMO is creating new graphical content.JP in general are not that popular, and I cant see why one for mounts would be any more popular.

There already are some extremely large jumping puzzles in the game. The Silverwastes one goes around, over and under almost the entire map and includes a gigantic cavern. The Draconis Mons one goes around the entire outside of the map at least once and includes several long glides. And of course there's Troll's Revenge in Lion's Arch.

Although a puzzle which uses mounts doesn't have to be suitable for you to use a mount all the time, all the way through. For example they could periodically have jumps which need the raptor to cross and then different kinds of obstacles in between so you're encouraged to switch to another mount or even dismount completely, instead of needing to put everything far apart because players will be on a raptor and moving quickly.

It would have to be planned when they're creating the map, it's not something that could be stuck in an empty corner as an afterthought, but the same is true of most jumping puzzles and I assume that is how most of them are made - either they decide early on 'this map will have a jumping puzzle' and plan for that or as they're building it they realise there's potential to put one in and plan for it just like they plan for routes for dynamic events and whatever else the map needs to do.

Archived