I posit something my opponent is playing is designed poorly. Why does my build matter?

Ovark.2514

EVERY SINGLE TIME I say that something is poorly designed and needs to be fixed, the person using it unfailingly reminds me of the build I'm running. Because I don't run builds which are representative of pervasive, long-running issues, I fail to see how bring my build up has any bearing on my assessment. If you are one of these people, please stop trying to derail the conversation. You are not the target of my criticism, part of the build you are using is.

I mean, without knowing the build you play, chances are you can find balance issues in just about anything and you can't really blame the other guy for pointing that out when you refuse to acknowledge it yourself while insinuating that your opponent (who probably kicked your butt or you wouldn't be complaining about it!) got by on an OP build rather than any degree of skill he might have.

Like the warrior roamer I beat on my mirage the other day who came back after spec'ing spellbreaker only to lose again and then proceeded to call me a f'n noob no fewer than 7 times. Like okay, I get it. Mirage is OP, especially when it can use trailblazer gear in WvW roaming. But why so mad, bro? Could it be that you're used to steamrolling a lot of the builds you come across and this time you lost...badly? Twice? Even after changing your build to attempt a counter? I'm sure the guy must have been pretty good or he wouldn't have flipped out like that at a rare 1v1 loss, but are you going to tell me that we couldn't find reasons besides skill that he's so used to winning that he can't handle losing? Honestly, you would have thought I beat him for a tournament championship the way he was carrying on!

@AliamRationem.5172 said:I mean, without knowing the build you play, chances are you can find balance issues in just about anything and you can't really blame the other guy for pointing that out when you refuse to acknowledge it yourself while insinuating that your opponent (who probably kicked your butt or you wouldn't be complaining about it!) got by on an OP build rather than any degree of skill he might have.

I don't talk about balance because you can have the most amazing balance in the world, but if your core design is crappy, the game will hardly be any better off. The thing is though, It's not like I refuse to acknowledge how op certain aspects of my build are; that is a conversation we can have if the opponent brings it up first.

What exactly do you think is poorly designed? Most buildparts have direct counters in both profession and build, making it likely your issue has to do with how a dps cannot kill a bunker or something like that (since we can't know), but even that has it's solutions. Or if you want to facetank a certain profession, this would also be an issue.

Please let us know so you can get proper advice and a beneficial discussion going.

@"Crab Fear.1624" said:if you play mirage,,, do not expect RESPECT for your "skill"

I don't expect respect for my skill. Like I said, Mirage is OP - especially for WvW roaming! On the other hand, I don't expect you to break down crying and repeatedly send "f'n noob" 7 times before blocking me just because you lost a fight in WvW roaming.

Regardless, it's beside the point, which is that if you want to discuss balance be prepared to discuss balance - not just "that other guy's class". Because you can definitely find balance issues just about anywhere you care to look. This is MMO PvP after all.

@rng.1024 said:What exactly do you think is poorly designed? Most buildparts have direct counters in both profession and build, making it likely your issue has to do with how a dps cannot kill a bunker or something like that (since we can't know), but even that has it's solutions. Or if you want to facetank a certain profession, this would also be an issue.

Please let us know so you can get proper advice and a beneficial discussion going.

Clears ThroatCondition builds only have to spec into two stats to maximize their condition damage.Cover conditions are still a thingExpertise in its current implementation exacerbates the problems with cover conditions.Conditions are all about reactive rather than proactive gameplayCondition builds are not usable in high-level pvp unless they have boon-ripPlayers who use Confusion and Torment are not encouraged to use them at specific times and rather to use them like you may use bleed or burn.It's too difficult to tell in the heat of battle how lethal the conditions afflicting you are.Defending against conditions does not scale like Power does.Because cleansing is a thing, playing condition builds highly incentivizes building a lot of CC.Instant-cast skills with no animationsCasting two skills simultaneouslyTeleporting through wallsSkills which make a player immune to damageThere are no prerequisites for landing CC other than having the opponent not have stability.Stunlocking and kill someone outright if they have no stunbreaks is a thingThe ability to attack a player without facing them.You cannot play skillfully because your combo fields are not prioritizedDowned griefing is still a thing.Players don't have the option to choose whether to down a player, rez a player, or pick up an environmental object if they are all in the same place.Boon removal affects entire stacks of boons instead of just one or a couple.Healing Power affects both your self healing ability and your ally healing ability.Ferocity predicated on Power.Runes don't allow players to choose the stats they want paired with the rune's unique effectSigils allow all players to have access to abilities that their class wouldn't normally have.

The list goes on. . .

@Ovark.2514 said:

@"rng.1024" said:What exactly do you think is poorly designed? Most buildparts have direct counters in both profession and build, making it likely your issue has to do with how a dps cannot kill a bunker or something like that (since we can't know), but even that has it's solutions. Or if you want to facetank a certain profession, this would also be an issue.

Clears Throat
Condition builds only have to spec into two stats to maximize their condition damage.Cover conditions are still a thingExpertise in its current implementation exacerbates the problems with cover conditions.Conditions are all about reactive rather than proactive gameplayCondition builds are not usable in high-level pvp unless they have boon-ripPlayers who use Confusion and Torment are not encouraged to use them at specific times and rather to use them like you may use bleed or burn.It's too difficult to tell in the heat of battle how lethal the conditions afflicting you are.Defending against conditions does not scale like Power does.Because cleansing is a thing, playing condition builds highly incentivizes building a lot of CC.Instant-cast skills with no animationsCasting two skills simultaneouslyTeleporting through wallsSkills which make a player immune to damageThere are no prerequisites for landing CC other than having the opponent not have stability.Stunlocking and kill someone outright if they have no stunbreaks is a thingThe ability to attack a player without facing them.You cannot play skillfully because your combo fields are not prioritizedDowned griefing is still a thing.Players don't have the option to choose whether to down a player, rez a player, or pick up an environmental object if they are all in the same place.Boon removal affects entire stacks of boons instead of just one or a couple.Healing Power affects both your self healing ability and your ally healing ability.Ferocity predicated on Power.Runes don't allow players to choose the stats they want paired with the rune's unique effectSigils allow all players to have access to abilities that their class wouldn't normally have.

The list goes on. . .

So as far as I can tell it's an ongoing issue with mechanics and their implimentations in the game?

After reviewing your list it becomes quite clear that you have an opinion of what it should be, when it's simply not. It's a common thing, where f.ex you want a specific playstyle but the closest the game offers falls short of that vision. You need to treat gw2 as gw2 - else you're bound to become frustrated. Another recurring thing in your list are things not present pre-HoT, meaning the game used to be alot closer to your liking if we go a few years back. I will try to adress some points:

• Yes condition builds rely on 2 stats to get their damage, but it's their sole damage source - meaning it whiffs if evaded, blocked, LoS, outranged, invulned and cleansed (unlike power damage which still apply atleast 50% of it's packet)
  • Cover condis have always been there, but access to a wide range of them used to be restricted. However amount of available cleanse across the board increased heavily with expansions, meaning this is a necessity to keep condi builds viable. Same goes for expertise which used to exist in the form of Condition Duration.
  • Downed griefing is playing PvP. Doesn't matter if you like it or not, it's within the rules and therefore a meta tactic.
  • As for cc, it's got loads of counters and no one should be stunlocked unless in a 1vX, and why on earth would you expect to win that in the first place?
  • No condis hurt much unless ramped up, you can even see which ones you will cleanse based on their position on the UI, plus there's only 3 damaging ones to look out for
  • Under Combat/Movement in options there's a setting called "Double click to attack/interact". This prioritizes players over environmental objects like a portal or chest when on top of eachother
  • Most invulns in this game don't allow you to attack meanwhile
  • Teleporting through walls (still requires valid path mind you) and instant cast skills add flavour and originality to some professions that others cannot match. This is good because we want diversity and it promotes map awareness
  • Boon removal only affecting 1 stack would have no impact whatsoever in a fight, might aswell make all boonrips 50% rng. There is a big difference of all professions being able to rip 1 boon on cc(!) or a random one by flanking every 5 seconds, to what professions can bing in terms of boonrip rate. Btw the absorption sigil will always steal resistance first ;)
  • The whole idea of runes being locked onto stats is to force the player to make sacrifices. If every build in the game could have everything there would be an ultimate reindition of every profession and I fail to see how that's fun for anyone

Alot of the things/concepts also have been in the game from the very start. It's how it is. It's Guild Wars 2. So it makes no sense to have an issue with it because you want it to be something else that it's not. Meaning the only way to enjoy the game is to accept how it works and play accordingly.

After reviewing your list it becomes quite clear that you have an opinion of what it should be, when it's simply not. It's a common thing, where f.ex you want a specific playstyle but the closest the game offers falls short of that vision. You need to treat gw2 as gw2 - else you're bound to become frustrated. Another recurring thing in your list are things not present pre-HoT, meaning the game used to be alot closer to your liking

Indeed I do have very strong opinions of what could make this game better. A lot of things would need to change, but I feel like the PvP scene would explode like nothing we have ever seen before if they were implemented (if it's not too late). Yes, the game WAS more fun back pre-HoT (and even somewhat during HoT). I could play off-meta builds like I always do and even if I couldn't kill some people, I could be useful or at least RUN AWAY. The thing that PoF has done so spectacularly that even HoT didn't quite do was make using any non-meta build that wasn't a complete bunker, feel absolutely useless and that your death was GUARANTEED.

"As for CC's it's got loads of counters and no one should be stunlocked unless in a 1vx, why on earth would you expect to win in the first place?"You're right. The Guard has Aegis. You apparently have never fought a Holo on a non-Meta build with your sunbreaks on CD and just have to sit there as he Oversharged shots you then jumps on you and holo wave and Prime-Light beam etc. . to bring you from 100%-0 in like 5 seconds.

@Ovark.2514 said:EVERY SINGLE TIME I say that something is poorly designed and needs to be fixed, the person using it unfailingly reminds me of the build I'm running. Because I don't run builds which are representative of pervasive, long-running issues, I fail to see how bring my build up has any bearing on my assessment. If you are one of these people, please stop trying to derail the conversation. You are not the target of my criticism, part of the build you are using is.

Because your original observation is pointless and they are making you aware of that. What you call broken, are the things I look for. The synergies that others overlook, things that aren't meta but become meta, then inevitably get nerfed while I find new combos. That's the game, for many of us. So, please, posts like yours complaining about player behavior are rather pointless. Please pick a specific profession and/or skill and ask for nerfs on that so we can continue to play the OP spec hunting game :)

@"Ovark.2514" said:

After reviewing your list it becomes quite clear that you have an opinion of what it should be, when it's simply not. It's a common thing, where f.ex you want a specific playstyle but the closest the game offers falls short of that vision. You need to treat gw2 as gw2 - else you're bound to become frustrated. Another recurring thing in your list are things not present pre-HoT, meaning the game used to be alot closer to your liking

Indeed I do have very strong opinions of what could make this game better. A lot of things would need to change, but I feel like the PvP scene would explode like nothing we have ever seen before if they were implemented (if it's not too late). Yes, the game WAS more fun back pre-HoT (and even somewhat during HoT). I could play off-meta builds like I always do and even if I couldn't kill some people, I could be useful or at least RUN AWAY. The thing that PoF has done so spectacularly that even HoT didn't quite do was make using any non-meta build that wasn't a complete bunker, feel absolutely useless and that your death was GUARANTEED.

"As for CC's it's got loads of counters and no one should be stunlocked unless in a 1vx, why on earth would you expect to win in the first place?"You're right. The Guard has Aegis. You apparently have never fought a Holo on a non-Meta build with your sunbreaks on CD and just have to sit there as he Oversharged shots you then jumps on you and holo wave and Prime-Light beam etc. . to bring you from 100%-0 in like 5 seconds.

I agree with how the game was alot more interactive and reaction/experience based before PoF when there were alot more hard counters and defined roles. However every expansion released lessens the gap between professions and this is inevitable, the only real consequence is that instead of a profession combo being meta you can now pull that off with variants on different ones.

As for me I play an off meta tempest, with my 2 stunbreaks 0 stab it's important to time my blinds and not waste dodges in order to not eat cc. Weapon evades also play a huge part in avoiding the bigger bursts and +1's, which will down me in a heartbeat. While I don't find the bunkerish aspect of weavers, mirages and soulbeasts too forgiving when I plus, the problem arises when they in addition know how to kite. The game intends with these builds for your team to dispatch 2 players to take care off and therefore the team who plays accordingly deserve to outrotate, I don't see an issue with that.

Archived