WVW need more mobility — Guild Wars 2 Forums

WVW need more mobility

Balsa.3951Balsa.3951 Member ✭✭✭

mounts or other ways to transport u
perhaps some battle Transporter which the commander can summon or ppl can build

just an idea discuss

Comments

• Djamonja.6453Djamonja.6453 Member ✭✭✭

It is fine as it is. It would just make the gamemode unbalanced if people could mount up to rush to defend something, same with any sort of transport (Emergency Waypoint is fine).

• joneirikb.7506joneirikb.7506 Member ✭✭✭✭

The only suggestions I've seen to this kind of topic, that I'd agree with, are suggestion to make certain map mechanics available to ease transport.

For example the EotM wormholes, or other mechanics where you have to fight to enable it, and give certain shortcuts. Or like we already have the Shrines in DBL.

Something similar for ABL for example would be that having bloodlust and taking control of one of the capture zones gave you a similar speed buff, alternatively some kind of wormholes to get to the Skritt or Centaur areas from the middle of the map.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
    "Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth." - J. Michael Straczynski
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy 14, Dragon's Dogma

• Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

I thought it would be cool if Alpine Borderlands got waterway jetstreams in the channels when controlling objectives like Ruins, South Camp, Bay and Garrison.

Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

• Jeknar.6184Jeknar.6184 Member ✭✭✭✭

Just don't die 4head

Ferguson's Crossing Mithril Squire (Rank 5001) - PvP Phoenix (Rank 72) - 30k Achievement Points
    Exalted Kawagima, Calamis Fatima, Hanna Flintlocke, Suzuhara Suzuka, Sally Furious Ant, Sabetha Deadeye, Bjarl of Souls, Lilian Mistwalker, Kelvena Riverstream, Zallha Wildhunt

• Balsa.3951Balsa.3951 Member ✭✭✭

@joneirikb.7506 said:
    The only suggestions I've seen to this kind of topic, that I'd agree with, are suggestion to make certain map mechanics available to ease transport.

For example the EotM wormholes, or other mechanics where you have to fight to enable it, and give certain shortcuts. Or like we already have the Shrines in DBL.

Something similar for ABL for example would be that having bloodlust and taking control of one of the capture zones gave you a similar speed buff, alternatively some kind of wormholes to get to the Skritt or Centaur areas from the middle of the map.

yes thats a nice concept a mobility which u need capture first, that would also add more levels of tactics

• apharma.3741apharma.3741 Member ✭✭✭✭

I really do like the idea of mounts in WvW, knights and all that, but I can't see a reason for giving everyone that kind of movement speed let alone all the extra stuff mounts give.

Even gliding was very iffy, I like gliding but after seeing these brave stalwart defenders attack you 3v1 then all fly away when they tank damage it makes me think you should have to be out of combat to open your glider.

• DemonSeed.3528DemonSeed.3528 Member ✭✭✭✭

I want my mounts to have pets, and I also want pawns. Then we can all swap pawns with each other and also let them do all the fighting and walking around so we can afk at spawn :D

• steki.1478steki.1478 Member ✭✭✭✭

A lot of classes nowadays have lots of out of combat mobility skills (aka on different weapon sets/elite spec mechanics) as well as easy access to swiftness or runes with speed bonus.

• Balsa.3951Balsa.3951 Member ✭✭✭

@Zephyra.4709 said:
    No thanks WvW mobility is in full force as it is. Not sure what year you're living in but 2019 got the following:

• Expansions brought boons out the roof, including elite specs with leap skills... every single class pretty much has access to swiftness or some weapon they can swap to/have in invy for it
    • DBL got those eagle transform bird things you can use / Thats a first step
    • Emergency waypoints/ barely anyone uses those
    • Squad comp boon priority so as long as you near your allies you should always have swiftness/ to slow
    • Passive objective buffs (+25% movespeed)/ to slow
    • Utility writ (+25% movespeed)/ thats all 25%
    • Gliding/ even slower than swiftness
  • Curunen.8729Curunen.8729 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'd just be happy if DBL shrines gave a 10 minute buff (5 minute is way to short - barely enough time to do one thing and get to another shrine), and then the Med-Kit at ABL sentry posts be given a longer swiftness duration on skill 5.

But I wouldn't say no to an unstackable 15% movement speed enrichment (no more than 15% or would be too powerful for no investment). Slightly improved over 10% banner buff, but still slower than dedicated sources of higher movement speed.

IH hybrid | My ears, how are you! | Kourna Jackrabbit for default Springer

• Bort.8647Bort.8647 Member ✭✭✭

I think we should get a wvw special event where the roller beetle is allowed

Note that actual movement speed is another issue in balance and design.

If you give players access to too much speed boosting, like say a permanent 50% speed boost at constant uptime, it will cause problems with trying to defend, as you can't get people shifted around to defend structures fast enough, as attackers could just run to the next and start attacking before defenders noticed, mobilized, and got to the place to check. Mobility is a balance factor for the WvW mode, despite what kind of shambles it is in.

As such I'll be against any and all pure +X% speed boosts, especially passive. We can already upkeep 100% swiftness, even without groups... Also remember that if we added something like a +50% speed boost that could be upkept full time, imagine the zergs (or roamers, scout, defenders, gankers, havoc) there is literally no enemies I want to see move faster than they already are.

This also doubles up with Mounts, because I don't think the direct movement speed would be a good thing for the game mode, and we would flat out have to remove all the special abilities so people doesn't jump into every single structure, and remove the disengage attacks so we don't get crazy mount nukes etc. At which point you're left with ... nothing.

To implement mounts into WvW as is, I'd:

• Reduce the max speed to +33% same as swiftness
    • Remove Disengage attack
    • Remove Special mobility (jumps, teleports etc)
    • Remove the ugly bird anyways
    • Only allow players to mount within controlled zones (same as gliding)
    • Alternatively, make mounting an ability that only works within spawn/citadel, as a way to get from spawn out into the map, and once you're hit or disengage you can't re-mount. (And I think even that could be exploited without all the above).

I'd honestly rather that you got some kind of new mini events in middle of DBL, that let you control zones, and as long as you controlled them could get a mount (with the above limitations) to use until you disengaged. That way it could be more of a map mechanic/mobility. I dunno, collect dino eggs to spawn raptor hatchlings to ride ?

"Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth." - J. Michael Straczynski

• @Justine.6351 said:
    I thought it would be cool if Alpine Borderlands got waterway jetstreams in the channels when controlling objectives like Ruins, South Camp, Bay and Garrison.

I think that's a really cool idea too.

• @Kirin.7306 said:
    oh yes please imagine being hounded by mounted zerges who 1 shot you with 1 spam...

this was sarcasm btw..

ESO has mounts in their AvA mode, and it works just fine. They can just remove the attack ability for the mounts in WVW, and you can't mount in combat. Although I will say the ESO map for AvA is a lot larger than even desert BL, so there they are necessary. GW2 maps are quite small in comparison. If they were to do this, I would suggest removing waypoints from the 2 keeps, and only have 2, the spawn one, and the one in garrison.

• Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2019

@Shagaliscious.6281 said:
    ESO has mounts in their AvA mode, and it works just fine. They can just remove the attack ability for the mounts in WVW, and you can't mount in combat. Although I will say the ESO map for AvA is a lot larger than even desert BL, so there they are necessary.

Err... "alot" is a understatement. In the time it takes you to run on foot across EB, a horse will have taken you about 1/10th the way across Cyrodil (ie from one objective to another, basicly) - in total Cyrodil is somewhere along the lines of 20-30x the size of a GW2 map.

The simple answer is that mounts are pointless. They are neither needed nor neccessary for WvW. Anet could easily add the movement mechanics from DBL (jump pads, fire portals, bird portals, vertical teleporters) to the other maps if they really wanted to and that would be more than enough.

• mounts in wvw would be terrible. good luck ever taking a keep or garrison.

Xterra/Marqeese[Ark]

• Kovu.7560Kovu.7560 Member ✭✭✭✭

@joneirikb.7506 said:
    I'd honestly rather that you got some kind of new mini events in middle of DBL, that let you control zones, and as long as you controlled them could get a mount (with the above limitations) to use until you disengaged. That way it could be more of a map mechanic/mobility. I dunno, collect dino eggs to spawn raptor hatchlings to ride ?

A decent idea, but I feel like giving a heavy purpose to the pve events associated with the middle of the map would just cause players to get irritable.
    I'm not against people being mounted in their own territory, the people who are against this are likely the same people who thought gliding would break the gamemode.

~ Kovu

Ranger main before it was cool.
    Fort Aspenwood.

• Tiny Doom.4380Tiny Doom.4380 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2019

@Kovu.7560 said:

I'm not against people being mounted in their own territory, the people who are against this are likely the same people who thought gliding would break the gamemode.

~ Kovu

Well, I'm against mounts in PvE, where it by and large has broken the gamemode, or at least transformed it into one I no longer enjoy playing, so I'm dead set against having the ridiculous monstrosities in any part of the game that's curently spared them. Gliding, on the other hand, I think of as one of the very best additions to GW2 in the six and a half years its been with us. I was all for adding it to WvW and I think it's been a complete success there.

There's no comparison between the two things in terms of their impact on gameplay.

@Kovu.7560 said:

@joneirikb.7506 said:

A decent idea, but I feel like giving a heavy purpose to the pve events associated with the middle of the map would just cause players to get irritable.

~ Kovu

I see that point, and largely agree with how they would likely see/handle/deal with it.

Which is kind of sad, considering how much opportunity it could create for activity in middle of the map, and some actual roaming pvp against others trying to also grab it. Literally fight over mobility.

• gebrechen.5643gebrechen.5643 Member ✭✭✭

The only thing wvw needs is stealth for all necro specs.

Disciples of the monkey god [Apes]

• Jey.2349Jey.2349 Member ✭✭

@joneirikb.7506 said:
    If you give players access to too much speed boosting, like say a permanent 50% speed boost at constant uptime, it will cause problems with trying to defend, as you can't get people shifted around to defend structures fast enough, as attackers could just run to the next and start attacking before defenders noticed, mobilized, and got to the place to check. Mobility is a balance factor for the WvW mode, despite what kind of shambles it is in.

Giving large zergs/blobs a speed boost is definitely problematic, especially because they're able to carry many subs. Defenders need their time to track them down and communicate with the team.

But how about giving small groups of 1-5 players a speed buff in certain locations of the map. That could encourage roaming instead of blobbing or possibly new strategies for zergs.

• Acyk.9671Acyk.9671 Member ✭✭

Just give a mount without any special skill with base speed equal to swiftness. Automatic dismount when attacked without being disabled.

• BadMed.3846BadMed.3846 Member ✭✭✭

If not mounts, can we have skateboards in WvW please?

• steki.1478steki.1478 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Acyk.9671 said:
    Just give a mount without any special skill with base speed equal to swiftness. Automatic dismount when attacked without being disabled.

Why create unnecessary lag when you can just have swiftness?

• RedShark.9548RedShark.9548 Member ✭✭✭✭

@BadMed.3846 said:
    If not mounts, can we have skateboards in WvW please?

Sure, just make it roll with normal walking speed

@Jey.2349 said:

@joneirikb.7506 said:

Giving large zergs/blobs a speed boost is definitely problematic, especially because they're able to carry many subs. Defenders need their time to track them down and communicate with the team.

But how about giving small groups of 1-5 players a speed buff in certain locations of the map. That could encourage roaming instead of blobbing or possibly new strategies for zergs.

I agree, and I think that is one of the problems with the Desert Shrines for example, as they can give lots of players speed boost at the same time.

One of the more interesting ideas I have seen on that is to randomize things, like have a mechanic that teleports you to a random place out of several locations, far enough away from each others that it will be useless for zergs, but good for small scale roaming ?

Otherwise, a simple (but boring) limit to how many can receive a boost/blessing in a time-frame would make it cost in-efficient for a zerg, but useful for small groups. (Main problem with this is ANet philosophy, as this would slightly break their idea that you should always be happy to see more friendly players).

Or perhaps more interesting, using the locations of the bloodlust, each could have X charges, than then gets depleted, so you have to move to a new bloodlust circle and capture to get the boost. This way it can continually change, but give a speed bonus to X players, and then exhaust, forcing players to use other bloodlust rings. Make a changing system depending on how players act, that is beneficial for small groups, but too restrictive for large groups. (The comes the question of what kind of speed boost to give them, and how much, to make this interesting enough, for how long, without getting to powerful or to irrelevant).

@steki.1478 said:

@Acyk.9671 said:

Why create unnecessary lag when you can just have swiftness?

For: Players get to use and show their mount skins.
    Against: Agreed, easier to just use swiftness.

• DemonSeed.3528DemonSeed.3528 Member ✭✭✭✭

Did no one find it funny to see the threads next to each other?
    WVW need more mobility
    Run away builds as far as the eye can see
    heh.

• Swagger.1459Swagger.1459 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2019

@Balsa.3951 said:
    mounts or other ways to transport u
    perhaps some battle Transporter which the commander can summon or ppl can build

just an idea discuss

A few things...

WvW maps are too small for mounts.

If you limit mount use, to territory a side owns, then it's too easy to avoid a fight against mount restricted opponents. Also way too easy to defend a structure.

I'm all for addition ways to build in personal mobility, hence my sig https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/9804/idea-wvw-only-movement-skills , but mounts are not the way to go unless map sizes are, at very least, doubled.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.