Please monitor map chat its out of control. — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Please monitor map chat its out of control.

Tiviana.2650Tiviana.2650 Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2, 2019 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

I dont know if its the influx of wow players but map chat in LA esp has become down right vile. Its like trade chat in wow now, full of political trolls, racists, vulgarity, i can post screenshots if you want. There has been a huge upswing over the last month or so in this kind of stuff. I think you need to start monitoring it, as a player i cant spam report all these people, and its ridiculous to try. Its ruining the wonderful community feel of GW2, and turning it into a wow troll platform. One other thing, these players think because they ruined wow like this and got away with it, that they can get away with it here also.

Tagged:
<1

Comments

• Neural.1824Neural.1824 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2019

@Tiviana.2650 said:
    I dont know if its the influx of wow players but map chat in LA esp has become down right vile. Its like trade chat in wow now, full of political trolls, racists, vulgarity, i can post screenshots if you want. There has been a huge upswing over the last month or so in this kind of stuff. I think you need to start monitoring it, as a player i cant spam report all these people, and its ridiculous to try. Its ruining the wonderful community feel of GW2, and turning it into a wow troll platform. One other thing, these players think because they ruined wow like this and got away with it, that they can get away with it here also.

The only thing you can really do is report as many of them as you can, and after you report someone, block them. It helps to have the social window open and when you block them, right click on their name and set a nickname that lets you remember why you blocked them (the field is limited, so you might simply add "T" for troll, or something like that).

Reporting rarely leads to any results. Even when Anet steps in, the bans are not permanent, and the individuals have about the same percentage chance of changing their ways as the chance of dropping two precursors in a row. Fortunately they tend to leave for a while when new games come out, and there are a few new titles coming out soon.

Soul-binding needs to be allowed to die gracefully. It has expired. It is long past it's time to become a footnote in the history of gaming.

• Tiviana.2650Tiviana.2650 Member ✭✭✭

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    Report individuals as it happens. Or if you feel it's especially vile, then submit a support ticket with (a) screenshots of the relevant chat and (b) a brief, neutral explanation of why you feel it's inappropriate (since it won't go without saying). ANet's usually pretty good about taking care of it.

However, keep in mind just because you (or I) feel something is inappropriate doesn't mean that ANet will agree. ANet tends to allow for some wiggle room, so we might draw the line different from how they choose to.

Right i get it, but i think some of this stuff crosses the line.

• phs.6089phs.6089 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2019

Every good house needs a trash bin, don't go next to it, that simple :)

"There is always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city."

• lokh.2695lokh.2695 Member ✭✭✭✭

As Ill said, not much else to do than keep blocking, reporting and moving on. Moving on can mean two things here: 1)Stay in LA, blocking and reporting anything that offends you, or 2)move to a different map with a friendlier mapchat. DR has also very convenient locations for crafting and trading as well as the Grove or Ebonhawk. Then there are also the lounges, but access is bound to gemshop items, so that might not be an option for you.

If you want X, and Y is needed to get get X, you also have to want Y if you really want X. If you don't want Y, you don't want X. It's easy.
    Pro: Build Templates, Dungeon Rework, UW content
    Contra: New Races, New Classes, New Weapons, Capes

• Goettel.4389Goettel.4389 Member ✭✭✭

Plenty of room on my block list.

• what did they say?

• Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2019

I do understand that some people have “different tastes” when it comes to likes, dislikes etc. But most map chat I see is real tame. There’s only a few times that I’ve thought that something crosses a boundary of what should be publicly said or not. A lot of the time I can shrug things off.
    If you feel something shouldn’t be in mapchat, do report it, but heavily gauge it first, otherwise you’ll be banned for abusing the report options.

The above was written as part of an attempt to waste time.

• @Haleydawn.3764 said:
    If you feel something shouldn’t be in mapchat, do report it, but heavily gauge it first, otherwise you’ll be banned for abusing the report options.

@Shikigami.4013 said:
    You will NOT get in trouble for reporting people using hate speech, racial slurs, or even swear words.

To clarify: you won't get punished for using the tool in good faith.

• ANet encourages people to report chat they think crosses the line to inappropriate.
    • ANet reserves the right to decide what is or isn't allowed, which will mean sometimes people are allowed to say stuff you wouldn't allow in your home, and sometimes you might not be allowed to say something you might type to your grandma.
    • ANet will also go after people who abuse the report system, but that's very unlikely to affect anyone participating in this thread.

Abusing the report system would include things like reporting for no cause to grief the alleged violator, spamming reports, organizing a witch hunt to get people to report, lying to try to get someone suspended, and so on.

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@Shikigami.4013 said:
    You will NOT get in trouble for reporting people using hate speech, racial slurs, or even swear words.

To clarify: you won't get punished for using the tool in good faith.

• ANet encourages people to report chat they think crosses the line to inappropriate.
    • ANet reserves the right to decide what is or isn't allowed, which will mean sometimes people are allowed to say stuff you wouldn't allow in your home, and sometimes you might not be allowed to say something you might type to your grandma.
    • ANet will also go after people who abuse the report system, but that's very unlikely to affect anyone participating in this thread.

Abusing the report system would include things like reporting for no cause to grief the alleged violator, spamming reports, organizing a witch hunt to get people to report, lying to try to get someone suspended, and so on.

Yes, in good faith. If you’re account regularly uses the report tool, you must actually use it properly, which was my point.
    Of course you should use it when something is said that is against the games age rating/racist/homophobic/abusive etc. But, just because a conversation isn’t to a particular players taste doesn’t mean it’s offensive. Which was my point.

The above was written as part of an attempt to waste time.

• what time zone are they in? I like making fun of trolls.

The horror...…….the horror...…….the horror...…….

• Seth.8906Seth.8906 Member ✭✭

Go to Rata Sum best for craft and the chat is alwais role players

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Gulbasaur.1865 said:

@Shikigami.4013 said:
    Maybe read this thread, in which Gaile Gray made several posts (including the above quote) and told us to absolutely use the report function. Even the simple usage of the f-word is enough to warrant a report. The staff will check what was actually said and sort it out. -> https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Belliegerence-and-Vulgar-Language/page/2#post4929220link to statement in thread about vulgar language

Thank you for posting this link. Earlier in the GW2 subreddit someone said she was tired of creepers, to use her word, sending her messages like "I bet you have cute feet" and I recommended she report them, like I do for "I'm not racist but I think they should bring back eugenics"-type trollish map chat spam.

It's good to read Gaile Gray's views on it - report it and let the professionals make a call as to whether it's out of line.

Your friend need to grow a thicker skin and mess with them so they stop.
    Thank them and send them a picture of some hobbits feet =)

• Hashberry.4510Hashberry.4510 Member ✭✭✭

Hate speech has become a pretty elastic thing these days, kind of meaningless, its been stretched so far.

• Shikigami.4013Shikigami.4013 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2019

The profanity filter, as ANet has said numerous times, is not a license to swear [...]

Thanks @Illconceived Was Na.9781 like always spot on :)
    And at @Celsith.2753 : Just click the link I provided and scroll down 10 centimeters to Gaile Gray's next post where she sepecifically adressed what you were asking about with pretty clear words in answer to someone inquiring about cursing with the f-word because in his eyes people who don't want to see it should enable the filter.

YouTube “L2villagejester”.
    People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me
    Same for people posting only to tell others not to post (“deal with it”-posts)

• Gulbasaur.1865Gulbasaur.1865 Member ✭✭✭

@Linken.6345 said:
    Your friend need to grow a thicker skin and mess with them so they stop.

I nearly made the same comment back, but then I realised that that wouldn't help the situation.

Report, block, move on with life.

• Jeknar.6184Jeknar.6184 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2019

@Shikigami.4013 said:

@Gaile Gray.6029 said as far back as 2015:
    I strongly recommend that everyone use the in-game report system to help make the game a better place to be. We take reports seriously and we appreciate the assistance of our community members!

Maybe read this thread, in which Gaile Gray made several posts (including the above quote) and told us to absolutely use the report function. Even the simple usage of the f-word is enough to warrant a report. The staff will check what was actually said and sort it out. -> link to statement in thread about vulgar language

I find funny that specific quote of Gaile... Principally the part of "We take reports seriously"...

Sure, you can get suspended for innapropriate language (I have a friend who got 3 months suspension for being way too salty on PvP chat) but you can use hacks and exploits in PvP and WvW for months and nothing happens.

Ferguson's Crossing Mithril Squire (Rank 5001) - PvP Phoenix (Rank 72) - 30k Achievement Points
    Exalted Kawagima, Calamis Fatima, Hanna Flintlocke, Suzuhara Suzuka, Sally Furious Ant, Sabetha Deadeye, Bjarl of Souls, Lilian Mistwalker, Kelvena Riverstream, Zallha Wildhunt

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dragon Priestess.9760 said:
    Are you aware that you can make a new chat tab and mute 'map' and 'say' from it? Revolutionary!

Yeah, I guess that the point (or argument) is that one shouldn't have to do that. But, I hear ya!

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• mortrialus.3062mortrialus.3062 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Tiviana.2650 said:
    I dont know if its the influx of wow players but map chat in LA esp has become down right vile. Its like trade chat in wow now

Huh? What WoW players?

The Psychomancer: Mesmer Elite Specialization Suggestion

• Celsith.2753Celsith.2753 Member ✭✭✭

The point is that there are all sorts of levels of things worth keeping out of chat, some are more serious and some aren't. There are relatively few serious violations and less controversy about which those are. There are more of the minor sort and the line is blurrier there. That isn't coincidental; that's human nature.

It's a weird sort of classism and racism. There are words said commonly in my home area of england that the americans on this forum would probably report as offensive. Words that I grew up hearing mothers say to their babies, in cutesy voices. If someone isn't being racist, abusive, harrassing, or attempting to give offense, but is simply using the commonly accepted vernacular they would use in their area I think we need to use some common sense. There's a difference between shocking and offensive.

885k+ WvW kills
    Diamond No Life
    [HUNT] Predatory Instinct

• Gehenna.3625Gehenna.3625 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Shikigami.4013 said:

@Gehenna.3625 said:
    Crosses your line maybe. The problem is that there isn't such a thing as "the line". The line is different for each person and sometimes the differences are small and sometimes they're a lot bigger. It might be shocking but I think that if people truly said what they felt, you'd find out that a lot fewer people actually share your values than you might want to believe.

No, there is no problem, because the line of the person you are replying to is not the line that is relevant for any action ArenaNet is taking. Reporting people who cross your own line is exactly what ArenaNet is asking for, and the right thing to do, and it will not cause the ones being reported any harm as long as ArenaNet does not agree that their line was crossed too. This prevents players to be burdened to be the judge of what exactly ArenaNet thinks crosses their line. If ArenaNet would receive so many "false" reports for chat violations that do not actually cross their line, they probably would have spoken up within the last 6 years and told us "hey, we get a ton of reports about x every day and it really causes a lot of unneeded work, please don't report x anymore". They didn't. Reports seem to be just fine.

Many people in this thread appear to think they should be able to say anything that does not cross their own line, and shove the responsibility of not being offended or annoyed by them to all other players. Well, they are wrong because ArenaNet disagrees with them and all players have agreed to play by ArenaNet's rules. Players who actually help ArenaNet with their goal of keeping chat appropriate and not crossing their line were labled as "not adult enough to care for themselves". Frankly, attacking and belitteling people who help keeping up the goals ArenaNet has is the childish thing here.

I think your assessment is incorrect. Not everything that is reported on gets actioned. There is no clear line set by ArenaNet because these things have to be judged on an individual basis because it's simply not that easy to decide what crosses this abstract line that's not actually a line. That's why it IS problematic to speak of "the line" because it doesn't actually exist.

"In my experience, if you can't say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything." ~ Minister Durano

• Shikigami.4013Shikigami.4013 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2019

Your understanding of what I wrote seems incorrect. I never claimed that everything that is reported gets actioned, I actually wrote the exact opposite.

it will not cause the ones being reported any harm as long as ArenaNet does not agree that their line was crossed too

So when someone reports something that crosses his line, nothing happens as long as it does not cross ArenaNet's line too. Thats is the same thing you write.
    So there is no problem when someone reports something that crosses his line, just because it is his line and not "the official line". You claimed it is a problem though. Edit: Maybe your choice of words in "the problem is" was a bit off, and you did not actually mean that there is an actual problem. It seems we both generally have the same opinion on the whole thing.

YouTube “L2villagejester”.
    People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me
    Same for people posting only to tell others not to post (“deal with it”-posts)

• Gehenna.3625Gehenna.3625 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Shikigami.4013 said:
    Your understanding of what I wrote seems incorrect. I never claimed that everything that is reported gets actioned, I actually wrote the exact opposite.

it will not cause the ones being reported any harm as long as ArenaNet does not agree that their line was crossed too

So when someone reports something that crosses his line, nothing happens as long as it does not cross ArenaNet's line too. Thats is the same thing you write.
    So there is no problem when someone reports something that crosses his line, just because it is his line and not "the official line". You claimed it is a problem though.

Ahh then you misunderstood me in a different way, possibly because I didn't specify that. When I say it's a problem, I mean it's a problem for the OP's reasoning, not for how the reporting system works.

"In my experience, if you can't say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything." ~ Minister Durano

• Chasind.3128Chasind.3128 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2019

@Tiviana.2650 said:

It's the internet; you can't hand-hold everyone who doesn't like open internet chat. People are allowed to talk about things other than ingame priorities and it's very much okay.
    Just use your language filter and block function; that's what they are there for.

Also: How do you know these are WoW players?

• Jski.6180Jski.6180 Member ✭✭✭✭

Most of the time its best to block report and move on.

• Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2019

@Celsith.2753 said:

The point is that there are all sorts of levels of things worth keeping out of chat, some are more serious and some aren't. There are relatively few serious violations and less controversy about which those are. There are more of the minor sort and the line is blurrier there. That isn't coincidental; that's human nature.

It's a weird sort of classism and racism. There are words said commonly in my home area of england that the americans on this forum would probably report as offensive. Words that I grew up hearing mothers say to their babies, in cutesy voices. If someone isn't being racist, abusive, harrassing, or attempting to give offense, but is simply using the commonly accepted vernacular they would use in their area I think we need to use some common sense. There's a difference between shocking and offensive.

Yes local variations on an otherwise shared language can introduce some gray to the situation, but this is not ANet coming into your home and asking you to change the way you speak. This is you going onto someone else's property where they have established house rules for what is acceptable. Common sense, in this case, involves recognising that the owners of the property get to set the rules, just as you do in your home, and that those who refuse to keep the promise they made to follow those rules may face consequences.

• CJH.2879CJH.2879 Member ✭✭✭

If someone is map chatting things you don't like, simply block them & move on (If its a direct attack against you personally then of course report them to ANET, then block & finally move on). The game is there to enjoy & have fun, not to get into any kind of arguments or bickering. Peace to all. =)

• Kylden Ar.3724Kylden Ar.3724 Member ✭✭✭✭

I just usually leave Map and Team chat off, unless I am in WvW and scouting, and even then, I can REPORT to that chat without seeing it, so often leave it off. I give reports, if someone wants to respond that's on them.

How many times we gotta tell you GRIND IS NOT CONTENT there ANet?

Leader of Tyrian Adventure Corp [TACO], [RaW][TACO] Alliance, Kaineng.

• Illconceived Was Na.9781Illconceived Was Na.9781 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2019

@Leo G.4501 said:

I crafted a reply to your earlier response because I think there have been some misunderstandings about my point of view and about ANet's.
    But rather than go back & forth (as we have a history of doing)...

With the assumption that ANet has a vested interest in maintaining civility in /map and the forums, at a standard that is probably stricter than your own, what policy would you want them to enact? What sort of enforcement standard?

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• Ive found map chats to be quiet pleasant since returning from a stint in eso... Want a vile zonechat, have a look over at theres... A bored community ripping into one another because there's no content. Gw2 aint perfect.. But no where as vile as some.

• Leo G.4501Leo G.4501 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Leo G.4501 said:

I crafted a reply to your earlier response because I think there have been some misunderstandings about my point of view and about ANet's.
    But rather than go back & forth (as we have a history of doing)...

With the assumption that ANet has a vested interest in maintaining civility in /map and the forums, at a standard that is probably stricter than your own, what policy would you want them to enact? What sort of enforcement standard?

My post was in context of the OP. Outside of direct violations of the ToS, it's easier to police yourself and your groups rather than everyone else. If someone's being offensive, they will likely be reported, preferably by the individuals that are being offended, but it's far less of a headache to just disable /map or leave LA. There doesn't need to be any change in enforcement standards on Anet's part unless someone wants to make the case there is an oversight in their standards.

• Drecien.4508Drecien.4508 Member ✭✭✭

There is a profanity filter

30 Beautiful new mount skins?! Anet take my money!

• Tiviana.2650Tiviana.2650 Member ✭✭✭

@Chasind.3128 said:

@Tiviana.2650 said:

It's the internet; you can't hand-hold everyone who doesn't like open internet chat. People are allowed to talk about things other than ingame priorities and it's very much okay.
    Just use your language filter and block function; that's what they are there for.

Also: How do you know these are WoW players?

Because i played wow for a long time, and you get to know the lingo. They reference things said in wow in their chat. Look fbombs dont bother me, nor does foul language. What bothers me are racists/sexist/homophobic remarks linked political trolling and throw in some sexual acts for good measure and then get the whole thing rolling with aggressive talk. You can yell in chat all day about the bloiting ducking kitten raptors being a bunch of blits and i would just laugh with you. But stirring up the pot to hit on the most sensitive topics and to belittle others is not something that should be allowed. Cuss away idc as long as you are not throwing it at other players in an aggressive way.

• Weindrasi.3805Weindrasi.3805 Member ✭✭✭

I report when I see offensive things in map chat. If it gets too upsetting or unsettling, I have a chat option I can switch to that stops me from seeing map chat completely. Ultimately, have a plan in place to get away from that stuff (like logging off and taking break; creating a custom chat as I did; blocking; ECT)--because yes, some of the vile things that get said are upsetting. However, also realize that this sort of toxicity will always exist in every game to some degree. Reporting helps manage it, but can't make it go completely away.
    The best thing you can do is take the time to report and remove yourself from the situation--and then let it slide off. The more energy you put into being upset, the more power those vile messages have over you.
    I feel like forum posts like this one just fuel the fire. Too often, forum posts about these topics just go around and around as people state the same opinions, make snide remarks, and get upset all over again. I could be totally wrong, but I feel like--if you need to express your frustration--a private message to Arenanet might be more helpful than a public forum post to your cause.

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭

All the time the internet deem being rude or offensive something to be celebrated and not condemned then it will just get worse.

This discussion has been closed.
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.