Is there any way to get level ups quickly without having to grind?

Alderaan.3176

Honestly, the best advice I can give is to play the character to 80 so that you understand the mechanics of the profession and the game as a whole. Running heart quests and doing the personal story will accelerate your leveling; whether or not that is considered "grinding" can be left up to individual interpretation.

I often see players who level too rapidly leave the game because they are frustrated that they cannot engage in the end-game content. This is usually due to groups kicking the player for not building properly or understanding rotations and whatnot which can be directly attributed to leveling too fast and not knowing the ins-and-outs of the game/character.

@"kharmin.7683" said:Honestly, the best advice I can give is to play the character to 80 so that you understand the mechanics of the profession and the game as a whole. Running heart quests and doing the personal story will accelerate your leveling; whether or not that is considered "grinding" can be left up to individual interpretation.

I often see players who level too rapidly leave the game because they are frustrated that they cannot engage in the end-game content. This is usually due to groups kicking the player for not building properly or understanding rotations and whatnot which can be directly attributed to leveling too fast and not knowing the ins-and-outs of the game/character.

This.

Even with playing naturally to 80 chances are very high you will be clueless as to how to play your class properly. Enjoy the ride and leveling process which is not that long to begin with.

or buy an expansion, they bring a level 80 boost. Generally speaking, once you have a level 80 you start accumulating experience tomes / scrolls which makes levelling alts easier. The first playthrough is supposed to be somewhat slower to learn the game.

That said, if you want to level faster:

• do as many daily tasks as you can for xp scrolls (the ones that count towards your daily reward)
  • explore the world: unlocking new zones, points of interests, vistas, and so on awards a good chunk of experience, often faster than farming any sort of monster (if you plan to stay along, getting pof so you can unlock a raptor will greatly speed up this)
  • participate in dynamic events, they tend to be engaging and do give good XP, farming events is highly preferable to farming mobs.
  • when there's nothing better happening around, gather nodes, they also give XP and those materials sell for a tidy profit on the trading post.
  • do dungeons once you reach them. The very first time to finish a dungeon (be it the story or an explorable path) it awards a huge chunk of XP (a whole level, without counting the XP from kills during it). Make sure to write in your lfg (looking for group tool, 'Y' shortcut) something like "new player" so others will be patient with you.
  • if you don't have boosters available, at least have a food item active, all of them grant a +10% XP bonus.

Those are the tips off the top of my head. Doing the personal story as it unlocks also grants a good chunk of XP and some gears to keep you going, but not everybody can stomach doing them.

Tomes of knowledge, writs of experience from PVE dailies, dynamic events and map exploration. Whether or not you decide to rush forward or take your time is entirely your own business though many people would appreciate it if you take the time (in game or out) to understand the basic mechanics of your profession and its skills which is why the first few responses are people telling you not to level up quick.

There is one way to get you to level 80 in the blink of an eye, the Black Lion Instant Level 80 Ticket.

However I do not recommend this. The idea behind the leveling is to get used to your character, the game, the basic mechanics and your environment. If you feel bored of that, you either have chosen the wrong class or game. When you hit level 80, you expect to run endgame-content as everyone else. But this requires some real experience. You can get a lot of info from guides and videos nowadays, but skipping the actual game turned out to be a total disaster in most cases. Endgame content is way too difficult for a direct jump.

Guildwars 2 also has one of the most beginner friendly leveling systems on the market. You are free to explore the world or stay in the same maps as long as you please, experience gain scales with your level. You can use boosts like guild-buffs, banners, food and event-bonuses to increase your exp gain even further. Once you reach level 30, you can finally enter dungeons which also reward you with plenty of exp points in short time & teach you some vital game mechanics in the meantime.

So take your time and enjoy the game. Maybe try out another class for once?

Basically anything levels you in this game (including gathering and crafting). But like everyone else mentioned, play the game till lvl 80 (it takes about 2 - 3 week or so). It makes you understand your class and its the nicest part of game. There is no gear treadmill at lvl 80 so you would basically still do the same things as when you level. Ok fractals and raids become available and expansion stories. Pvp is already scaled to lvl 80 when you enter.

'Grind' I cry. Getting to cap withing 2 weeks is a grind now.Looks back on LA2 hours and days spent to get 1 level, what was that then?One advise i can give you, if you like PvP go PvP and earn self tomes to level. Or mix it up with pve, go fight when you get bored of doing hearts and back to hearts when you bored of pvp.

My process is, map complete the five main cities, and maybe LA. Map complete the five newbie zones. Map complete through Gendaran Fields... basically map complete and personal story 10, 20, 30 and 40 until you're about level 45, then do Hirathi Hinterlands and just hang out in Northpasture Camp of Cloven Hoof Pass and do the Ulgoth chain. It happens about every 20 minutes. The Ulgoth doesn't actually happen as part of the chain anymore except on it's defined schedule, but the four events that still do happen are worth one level every pass. Also you get a ton of low level leather, which I think it still worth cash.

@Skotlex.7580 said:Pve advice for levelling: skip hearts, I find them too boring and the rewards aren't worth it XP wise. If they get completed, let it be a side-effect.

Some hearts are entertaining to fill as they often include non combat gimmicks, but they have awful time/XP ratios.Actually the hearts are the highest earners in map completion, especially if you can manage to fill them by completing an event.

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:Actually the hearts are the highest earners in map completion, especially if you can manage to fill them by completing an event.

I am positively sure that just randomly rushing in a raptor throughout Tyria, zipping paths from cities to Orr and the like, while participating on any events you find along the way will result in much better XP gain than focusing on map completion.

Any other people have experiences on this to share?

@"Alderaan.3176" said:I am trying to get my level 23 to 80, and I want to know if there's any way to level up quickly.

The best way to level up a character is to just play the game. This is because you'll get to know your character.

But that being said: there are ways to do it quickly. Here is my personal favorite to do it without the use of a level 80 ticket or Tomes of Knowledge: XP and Heroic Boosters ( link to the wiki page: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Experience_Booster ). Please notice that this page is not entirely correct: if you have Black Lion Statuettes, you can purchase Heroic Boosters which also contain the kill streak feature.

What you want to do is go to areas with LOTS of yellow creatures. These tend to not be killed a lot and therefor yield higher experience gains (there's a mechanic that makes creatures that aren't killed a lot worth more xp). Also try to fight as high above your own level as you can. I like like to sit 3 to 5 levels higher than my own character. Make sure you can still kill your targets within a minute or bring a high level friend to help you out, if your friend has a Mesmer or a Ranger then you are golden as your friend can then set up both damage and healing.

To make it go even quicker: consider investing in Metabolic and Utility Primers to make foods and utilities with high XP gain last for 12 hours (or just buy a whole bunch of the foods and utilities but then you will have to keep an eye on when they expire).

• For food I suggest: Bowl of Candy Corn Custard which gives you healing and +15% experience. They are dirt cheap on the TP for 2 copper a piece. They require that you are level 10 at a minimum.
  • For the utility I suggest: Writ on Basic Strength. It has no level requirement and yields you extra power while health above 90% and +10% experience. They are a little more expensive at 25 silver on the TP.

Keep in mind that IF you switch maps (including when prompted by the game due to empty map) that you will lose your kill streak. If you have enough Black Lion Statuettes (4 for the primers and 18 for the Heroic Boosters for a 12 hour rampage) then this also requires no monetary investment. Of course, if you don't have them then you can get them in the gem store on the Utility tab about half way down the page.

To finish this up: Yes, my method requires some setting up but this is by far the fastest method to gain levels.

I hope this helps,

War

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:Honestly, the best advice I can give is to play the character to 80 so that you understand the mechanics of the profession and the game as a whole. Running heart quests and doing the personal story will accelerate your leveling; whether or not that is considered "grinding" can be left up to individual interpretation.

This.

Even with playing naturally to 80 chances are very high you will be clueless as to how to play your class properly. Enjoy the ride and leveling process which is not that long to begin with.

Sorry but if people are kicking me for my playstyle, then I will not play with them. You honestly forget these games are for fun! You do not have to follow the master build or rotations too succeed.

MMORPG's are meant for fun , let's all fall in line too match the one hit build! No thanks!I've managed too do hardcore raids without following the flavour of the month builds, in fact my builds are usually the least favourable. And would be kicked from groups, yet I prove time and again too these people it's possible and doable! I just steer clear of these people, these days too tired of proving a point!

To the original poster map completion Hearts main quest are the best way too level. You may consider it grinding but to be honest all games are grinds. Some just hide it better! To me at least nothing in GW2 feels like a grind. But that's just me!

@syneti.2841 said:

This.

Sorry but if people are kicking me for my playstyle, then I will not play with them. You honestly forget these games are for fun! You do not have to follow the master build or rotations too succeed.

MMORPG's are meant for fun , let's all fall in line too match the one hit build! No thanks!I've managed too do hardcore raids without following the flavour of the month builds, in fact my builds are usually the least favourable. And would be kicked from groups, yet I prove time and again too these people it's possible and doable! I just steer clear of these people, these days too tired of proving a point!

To the original poster map completion Hearts main quest are the best way too level. You may consider it grinding but to be honest all games are grinds. Some just hide it better! To me at least nothing in GW2 feels like a grind. But that's just me!

There's a big difference between copying one build because someone told you to play it and actually understanding the game and your profession and being able to choose for yourself what you want to play. In fact I'd say those are the two opposite ends of the spectrum.

If you want to choose what to play yourself - whether that's because you want to be able to complete things easily or just because you want to use the most fun combinations no matter how hard it is - then you need to know what the options are and how they work, and you can't do that by skipping to 80 as fast as possible without trying anything out along the way.

This is why we get so many topics in Players Helping Players from people who bought the game, used the level 80 boost and went straight into HoT or PoF then got frustrated and confused because every little thing was killing them (especially the little things in HoT - pocket raptors) and they couldn't understand why. They get a build and a set of gear dumped on them and don't know how any of it works so, even though it's an ok build (and designed for survivability) they can't get anywhere with it.

I think you're misunderstanding what the people you quoted are saying. No one mentioned having to conform to other people's ideas of a good build, in fact to me it sounds like the opposite - encouraging the OP to level naturally so they can learn their character and don't have to rely on other people to tell them how to play it.

do the personal story at least, you will get some xp with your class and some decent xp. next thing you can try is to get to silverwastes. let other people tank for you while you do enough damage to get credit for kills. try to get your hands on as many xp boosters as you can. best thing imo is to get into a friendly guild that is down with doing a couple dungeon runs per day to help you level. all you have to do is tag along, follow instructions, and the dungeon completion will give you a ton of xp (something like 70% of your level regardless of what level you are I think).

@syneti.2841 said:

This.

Then join chill groups or all welcome and not the ones that want to squeeze every unce of dps out of their specs as they can and your golden mate.

If you enjoy exploring, then open world events are the best way to get xp.If you want to actually learn your class and get a feeling of how it plays at lv80, then PvP is the best way. You get a lot of tomes of knowledge (free Lv up) and a lot of end game gears, materials and gold no matter you win or lose.

@Skotlex.7580 said:

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:Actually the hearts are the highest earners in map completion, especially if you can manage to fill them by completing an event.

I am positively sure that just randomly rushing in a raptor throughout Tyria, zipping paths from cities to Orr and the like, while participating on any events you find along the way will result in much better XP gain than focusing on map completion.

Any other people have experiences on this to share?

Oh, I didn't say that, I don't like wandering around looking for events so I just do map completion. I was just commenting that within map completion hearts provide the most return.

@Linken.6345 said:

This.

Then join chill groups or all welcome and not the ones that want to squeeze every unce of dps out of their specs as they can and your golden mate.

Not sure if I made it clear, there is nothing wrong with the DPS output I do in fact my DPS matches and surpasses flavour of the month builds. That's what I meant by proving a point.

@Danikat.8537 said:

This.

There's a big difference between copying one build because someone told you to play it and actually understanding the game and your profession and being able to choose for yourself what you want to play. In fact I'd say those are the two opposite ends of the spectrum.

If you want to choose what to play yourself - whether that's because you want to be able to complete things easily or just because you want to use the most fun combinations no matter how hard it is - then you need to know what the options are and how they work, and you can't do that by skipping to 80 as fast as possible without trying anything out along the way.

This is why we get so many topics in Players Helping Players from people who bought the game, used the level 80 boost and went straight into HoT or PoF then got frustrated and confused because every little thing was killing them (especially the little things in HoT - pocket raptors) and they couldn't understand why. They get a build and a set of gear dumped on them and don't know how any of it works so, even though it's an ok build (and designed for survivability) they can't get anywhere with it.

I think you're misunderstanding what the people you quoted are saying. No one mentioned having to conform to other people's ideas of a good build, in fact to me it sounds like the opposite - encouraging the OP to level naturally so they can learn their character and don't have to rely on other people to tell them how to play it.

I am not misunderstanding people, I am being misunderstood. I never said to rush either I just gave simple facts. The best method in levelling, which is what the nature of the poster asked for. And that you simply should have fun and enjoy the game, which is what these games are for.

If someone wishes to rush and find levelling boring that is their choice, if someone wants to follow the master one hit build again that is their choice. Not giving all valid information to people basically is misinformation. And I merely added too what was said. So please do not attack someone providing the other side of the coin.

Yes it was mentioned you'd get kicked from groups, which is why I posted thank you kindly! Also you unlock two epic trees at 80 which turns each class very different I don't think you can learn that from 1-80 levelling. Unless you wish too PvP, which is throwing you in to a level 80 role not knowing a thing! There are things you learn levelling and things you won't learn until max level. For instance fractals. But lets say I wanted a Druid focused on healing. You can't learn this below 80 in a PvE setting which is very different from PvP

@syneti.2841 said:

This.

Not sure if I made it clear, there is nothing wrong with the DPS output I do in fact my DPS matches and surpasses flavour of the month builds. That's what I meant by proving a point.

If you've spent time and effort to double check your builds performance and are safe enough in how well it performs (dps golem work, arcdps) , then you are further than maybe 80% of what most players do.

Now back on topic, what does this have to do with someone new to the game who very likely will not even have the very basic understanding or grasp of the games mechanics?

@syneti.2841 said:

This.

Play what ever you like, but math won't lie^^

I think the sub topic of having a good build or get kicked from groups was a small misunderstanding.

When it comes to dungeons, the speed runners / experienced folks won't give a sub-80 player a chance to prove themselves, they'll be treated like disposable liabilities (since they expect low performance of levelling builds). That's why it's generally better to make a "chill" lfg request and then blast through the dungeon (most people I get when I make such request are very experienced players that like helping new people).

Granted, there's the possibility you will get other new players who truly don't know what they are doing, and those can slow you down.....

Archived