make private merchants invisible for other players

Balsa.3951

i would prefer the personal merchant or trading post to work like the personal bank. so it just opens the window instead of spawning an npc for it. this way you dont annoy other players and you can open them all at once / more frequent than every 5 minutes. because now you spawn an npc and cannot spawn another for 5 minutes if you want to access TP again.every time i use either merchant or TP (not inside lootchests) i see a few people trying to use it and some try for quite some time thinking its not working as intended.

The likely reason they don't work the same is (probably) that the bank uses a "node access" while the vendor interface is tied to an NPC. Some evidence of this:

• Bank access closes completely when you move away; vendor access does not (the window can be reopened when you return).
  • Repair anvils can only repair; repair NPCs can also offer vendor services.

So my theory is somehow the game requires an NPC to spawn the vendor interface and they'd have to reinvent that to stop the behavior that concerns that. (Those NPCs probably can't be invisible or non-interact either, for similar reasons.)

On the other hand, maybe they can increase "collision detection" on the summons, so that people cannot accidentally nor purposefully spawn these NPCs near other nodes. They can also work on the priority for the [f]-interact key, so that other nodes will trigger first.

I'm not against the OP's idea; I just doubt it's practical, from ANet's perspective. (And I prefer several other suggestions that have been proposed when this has come up in the past.)

The way I work-around the problem in the meantime is to have a keyboard shortcut for Next Ally in your keyboard bindings under 'targeting'. By pressing a key, you cycle through the visible "allies" which fortunately include nodes & banners; keep pressing until the desired one is targeted, then press [f]. So at worst, I'm slowed by seconds.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:The likely reason they don't work the same is (probably) that the bank uses a "node access" while the vendor interface is tied to an NPC. Some evidence of this:

• Bank access closes completely when you move away; vendor access does not (the window can be reopened when you return).

So my theory is somehow the game requires an NPC to spawn the vendor interface and they'd have to reinvent that to stop the behavior that concerns that. (Those NPCs probably can't be invisible or non-interact either, for similar reasons.)

The technology is already there, though. That's exactly how the Tarrktun Personal Delivery Portal works. It has a vendor interface, yet doesn't spawn any NPC and can be used while moving.

@maelranaidh.3724 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:The likely reason they don't work the same is (probably) that the bank uses a "node access" while the vendor interface is tied to an NPC. Some evidence of this:

The technology is already there, though. That's exactly how the
Tarrktun Personal Delivery Portal
works. It has a vendor interface, yet doesn't spawn any NPC and can be used while moving.

Good point, I forgot about that one, since I don't own it.

That leaves two possibilities:

• They created a new type of vendor access, which TPDP uses (but the other ones don't) and it's a nightmare to retrofit.
  • It's not a nightmare to retrofit, but neither is it trivial enough to allow for prioritizing the change.

I haven't actually encountered problematic vendors in a while. I've seen more boxes of fun and water balloon buckets and aviator memory boxes. Adjusting interact priorities would assist with all those as well.

I'd really like this, especially for the golem banker which comes from the base game's deluxe edition. I often use those right away on my temporary characters (may as well, it's soulbound so I can't give it to anyone else and I'm going to delete them within 2 weeks) which means I'm using them in starter maps, sometimes in the tutorial instance.

I usually make sure I go to an out of the way spot where I don't think anyone will see me, but more than once I've closed the bank window to find a new player standing next to the golem, running around it, obviously trying to use it and not understanding why it doesn't work. Then I feel like I'm trolling them, if only accidentally, when I have to tell them they can't use it. Or sometimes it turns out they don't speak English and then I can't even explain because I'm terrible at languages.

Archived