Holosmith - Vent exhaust vs Enhanced storage

AliasOne.4865

I am curious as to why vent exhaust is run almost exclusively for holo and taken over enhanced storage. I already have an idea of why; however, I want to see the opinions of other holos.Only considering posts that take both traits into consideration. (Saying "X is bad" is not justification or an argument for X and will be disregarded completely).

e.g. vent exhaust is good/bad for 'X reason'... enhanced is good/bad for 'Y reason'... vent is chosen over enhanced because 'Z reason'...

Enhanced storage does nothing for heat management. You'll be able to use 2 more skills at best then overheat. If you activate the forge above X heat you'll overheat, and it's gonna take ages to cool down.

With Vent exhaust it's possible to manage heat at any time even when photon forge is inactive.

At least that's how I understand it.

@"witcher.3197" said:Enhanced storage does nothing for heat management. You'll be able to use 2 more skills at best then overheat. If you activate the forge above X heat you'll overheat, and it's gonna take ages to cool down.

With Vent exhaust it's possible to manage heat at any time even when photon forge is inactive.

At least that's how I understand it.

Vent exhaust also does damage in an AoE around you when you dodge (can be used in elixir S) and you're healed for the amount of heat lost through heat therapy which is a minor healing for just shy of 1000 health on dodge. Oh and did I mention perma passive vigor for more dodges?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heat_Therapyhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Thermal_Release_Valvehttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vent_Exhaust

Because losing heat without VE is very slow, since it takes a while until the decrease actually starts after you have left holo forge. You want to stay over 50% heat without overheating whenever possible to keep the 15% Dmg Buff from Laser's Edge up and without "manually" managing your heat via dodging with VE this is suprisingly hard to manage, even with another heat tier. Also it's way easier to avoid overheating when you can squeeze in an "emergency dodge". Often, you want to switch between Holo and Core Mode whenever possible, both to take advantage of Prismatic Converter and your CDs on both sets, which is way easier with VE. With Enhanced Storage you basically start with 0% and then go ham until you're at peak and then you have a very long downtime where you are stuck in core mode, while with VE you can always squeeze out another crucial hits in Holomode just by dodging at the right moment. Usually you have to dodge anyway so you don't have to dodge exclusively for heat management often, even though it does happen, especially when you're pressuring a retreating enemy.

Overall it just synergizes better with both how Holo Forge works in general and the other traits. Enhanced Storage gives you extra tiers on some skills, but it's only really a factor on Sword, and even there it's not crucial. With VE it's much easier to keep your heat level where you want it and use the skills you need, whereas the slow automatic heat los with Enhanced Storage often forces your hand in deciding which mode you are in.

It's a bit hard to explain but when you try playing with both variants you will feel the differrence. With VE you will realize what a big part of your heat management dodging actually is if you play it optimally. You will feel that especially painfully when you get immobilized at 98%+ heat and Deactivate Holo Forge on CD right before you dodge, basically forcing you into an overheat (unless you have Eli S ready).

In theory, Enhanced Storage could offer higher sustain. You have access to 5 more seconds of Heat Therapy At 650 hp/s. I have seen this used on certain builds well— always a sword/shield Conversion Holo varient stacking regen, Super Elixer, and Elixer Shell. You have reliable access to point/node constrained windows of 12+ seconds passive 1,000 + hp/s regen. You then use Healing Turret and a waterfield to fill in the gap before it repeats.

This is offset by a large hit to damage and flexibility, as you ultimately spend less time in forge and become relegated to fairly predictable windows of sustain/damage. You are also less mobile.

Archived