Title overhaul suggestion

witcher.3197

So by now we've had titles for 10+ seasons, it's fair to say that they're getting stale and people are losing interest in them.

I'd like to suggest a relatively minor fix: annual titles.

Each year Anet would set a "prefix", which would be appear in all titles. Let's say first year would be "Remorseless"

So during that year

Rank1 would be Remorseless Champion

Rank 2-9 would be Remorseless Gladiator

Rank 11-100 would be Remorseless Challenger

You get the idea. Next year they'd change remorseless into a different word like Ascended, and titles would follow: Ascended Champion/Gladiator and so forth.

This would

1. Add titles more value because they could only be obtained for a limited time
  2. Make it easier to see who got his title at what time period (expansion)
  3. Make people compete for titles in the future even if they have the current ones

These are just examples but OH GOD ANET PLEASE AVOID USING THE WORD "LEGEND" because we already have way too many of those and it's hard to keep track.

What do you think?

Titles for ranked pvp should be completely straight forward as to display the potential skill level of the player wearing it and how current his potential skill is. By current I mean "It says he played top 25, but it was in S6 many metas ago." This would let us all know if a player was potentially strong, or if he IS strong within a more current meta. A good example of this would be to compare a guy wearing a title that says "Top 25 Season 6" to a guy wearing a title that says "Top 25 Season 14." Clear & distinct representation of one's skill and how current it is.

We do really need to get rid of this "everything makes you a legend" thing going on. In my opinion they should completely change the names of all the titles, including old titles from S1 and up to current, and they should only display something like "Legend or a God" for the utmost highest positions, so it means something again. Here's an example of the types of titles that'd be floating around if it were up to me. And I wouldn't care of someone originally had "Primordial Legend" from the first pip farm season, I'd go back peddle program and remove all those old titles, and replace them with appropriate titles that displayed that player's actual rank, if that's even possible to do. If not, I'd just change it so all these old legend titles from old pip seasons were simply all shuffled together as one universal title like "Pip Legend." But yeah, the bellow list is an example that shows how the current achievable titles should look in my opinion:

• Top 250 Season 1
  • Top 100 Season 6
  • Top 25 Season 8
  • Top 10 Season 10
  • Legendary S11 "This would be for who took 3rd place"
  • Demi-God S13 "This would be for who took 2nd place"
  • God Of PvP S15 "For who takes first"

They could leave the fresh title name for the last one, and rename older titles to reflect antiquity.

So, last season's could be "ex-gladiator", the one before "old gladiator", and so on to "ancient gladiator", "forgotten gladiator", and use "retired gladiator" for those from five seasons ago or older. :)

@"Skotlex.7580" said:They could leave the fresh title name for the last one, and rename older titles to reflect antiquity.

So, last season's could be "ex-gladiator", the one before "old gladiator", and so on to "ancient gladiator", "forgotten gladiator", and use "retired gladiator" for those from five seasons ago or older. :)

I wouldn't sit well with my titles changing to reflect age. I tried in season 5 and haven't pushed for LB since. Why should my title change?

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:(...) But yeah, the bellow list is an example that shows how the current achievable titles should look in my opinion:

• Top 250 Season 1
  • Top 100 Season 6
  • Top 25 Season 8
  • Top 10 Season 10

I would find this extremely immersion-breaking to be honest...

... but then again, so are many guild names. :tongue:

I suggested this before and will do it again: One or two titles per season. It is almost impossible to distinguish skill between rank1 and rank10. Or rank25 and rank100. In my experience, 250 is actually a little different, but not all that much. One for top10, one for top100, change each season. Make it distinguishable by topics: metals for one season (gold legend > silver legend), gems (diamond legend > smaragd legend) or stuff like that.

Might also reduce win-trading, false elitism and stuff. :wink:

So long as the reward isn't something as trivial as a large potion of pvp reward I think people will be happy. There was a time when the legend titles actually meant something, but you could argue that became irrelevant after the very first season. New titles every year, or even better; every season is a great idea I think. Pretty much every other competitive game already does that or something similar.

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:Titles for ranked pvp should be completely straight forward as to display the potential skill level of the player wearing it and how current his potential skill is. By current I mean "It says he played top 25, but it was in S6 many metas ago." This would let us all know if a player was potentially strong, or if he IS strong within a more current meta. A good example of this would be to compare a guy wearing a title that says "Top 25 Season 6" to a guy wearing a title that says "Top 25 Season 14." Clear & distinct representation of one's skill and how current it is.

We do really need to get rid of this "everything makes you a legend" thing going on. In my opinion they should completely change the names of all the titles, including old titles from S1 and up to current, and they should only display something like "Legend or a God" for the utmost highest positions, so it means something again. Here's an example of the types of titles that'd be floating around if it were up to me. And I wouldn't care of someone originally had "Primordial Legend" from the first pip farm season, I'd go back peddle program and remove all those old titles, and replace them with appropriate titles that displayed that player's actual rank, if that's even possible to do. If not, I'd just change it so all these old legend titles from old pip seasons were simply all shuffled together as one universal title like "Pip Legend." But yeah, the bellow list is an example that shows how the current achievable titles should look in my opinion:

• Top 250 Season 1
  • Top 100 Season 6
  • Top 25 Season 8
  • Top 10 Season 10

More or less. From my experience in lot of games, and this will be even more trye in GW2 ( it was also the case in GW1), someone who was top10 during very first leaderboards and who went casual by then will be better than most of gold/plat 1-2 players today. Because map and capture points knowledge is far better than knowing how to play scourge and mirages. Today, if we picked 5 players randomly in platinum and 5 players randomly in gold, i'm not sure we could tell that the platinum team would win 100% of the time.

Just as an idea, i've found only one player besides me in about 3 years that would do timekills, although you would be called all sort of names 10 years ago for not doing it.

On topic, there needs globally a title change. There are too many, it's too complicated to know which is what, and they hold no value for most of them. Just make it :

• Titles based on top1/2/10/50/250/1000
  • Titles based on experience : tournaments matchs won ( 50/150/300/500/1000..) and ranked matchs won ( 50/150/500/1000/5000...)
  • Titles based on experience on 1 class : i'd change the 150 pts limit on xx champions to 10000 or so.

Archived